Rant: Getting attatched to zoo animals

Käpt'n

So I've mentioned this a lot before, I hang out with lemurs at the zoo a lot and take photos of them.
During the last two years I grew pretty fond of this little gal:

1445030667.lollazer_map_7507.jpg

She is about two years old, I've been shooting her when she was still clinging to her mom.

I've been to this zoo 61 times. During this time she has gotten used to me being there, when I sit down inside their area she will sit on my lap to check out my camera or to just hang out with me.
She isn't really showing any sort of affection. Ring-tailed lemurs are little pricks who like to take advantage of every possible situation. I'm aware of that. But that's what cats do, too 

Anyway, long story short: Today the zookeeper who is responsible for their enclosure told me that she and her brother will be moved to a different zoo "sooner rather than later".
I was aware that this would happen before they reach sexual maturity because otherwise there would be pandemonium among them. And since the zoos also breed endangered species they want to avoid incest, and her brother has gotten uncomfortably close to his mom every now and then >__>;

This bummed me out so much... It's not on the same level as having your dog or cat taken away, but damn it I love this little bugger! :c
There are a few more zoos in my area where they also have free ranging lemurs so maybe she ends up in one of them so I could still visit her, but knowing my luck she will end up in another country...
The worst part is that I have no idea when it's gonna happen, so one day I'm gonna go there and she won't be there anymore...

They also have two black and white ruffed lemurs. They come on my lap as well and I can pet them while they bite other visitors. I know them by name and they are relatively old already. That's gonna be awful for me when they are gone XP

9 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

Anyway, long story short: Today the zookeeper who is responsible for their enclosure told me that she and her brother will be moved to a different zoo "sooner rather than later".

Any chance for him to tell if/how likely she's gonna be in a close zoo?

9 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

And since the zoos also breed endangered species they want to avoid incest, and her brother has gotten uncomfortably close to his mom every now and then >__>;

... Your Avatar? xD

30 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Solution: Bring a duffle bag on your next trip to this Zoo which awesomely let's you pet the lemurs. :3

I'm not gonna take her with me. Ring-tailed lemurs literally smell like shit once they are out of puberty, their older ones smell AWFUL X3
It's especially bad with the males because they stink themselves up to get the bitches. Her dad sat next to me once,he smells like an old sports sock that someone took a dump into.
But it's ok because he is adorable as well! :3 And I feel bad for him, the females are dominant and he always gets beaten up for flirting too much :c That one time he was purring like a madman (yes, they can purr!) while the ladies were checking out my backpack. When he got too close he got slapped pretty hard.

21 minutes ago, Toboe said:

Any chance for him to tell if/how likely she's gonna be in a close zoo?

... Your Avatar? xD

I did, they don't know about that yet. These things are being decided on short notice. For example, they were supposed to get a new red panda next week but the little guy has been there for two weeks already.
It's possible that when I go there on a Sunday they won't know anything yet but a week later she is gone.

And no, that's not her brother^^ That's their dad getting frisky with one of the ladies!

10 minutes ago, willow said:

Assuming you're pretty close with the staff, do you think you could ask where they're going to be sending her? btw, where is this zoo that lets you pet lemurs?

See what I told Toboe. These things are being decided very quickly. Also, the zoo staff doesn't know this in advance. The management is being told what to do and then it's like "Oh by the way, these two lemurs will be shipped to Antarctica tomorrow". And that's that :/
We have several here in Germany! There is another zoo with red ruffed lemurs, it's like the most exotic petting zoo ever and the lemurs absolutely LOVE the attention^^ They almost seem disappointed when they come to you and you don't pet them :P
The zoo that I'm talking about here is a little different. The management says it's allowed to pet them, their website says it isn't. Some zookeepers say you can pet them, others say you can't and then there are others who say you can but only if you are careful. It's weird.
I just do it when there aren't many visitors. Because if there are lots of kids they will chase the animals and I want to avoid that.
By the way, they are ridiculously soft!

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

It's okay that you're getting attached to them, just keep it in your pants big guy. And I'm not talking about the Lemur. 

Ok :V

1 minute ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I thought the title said you were getting attracted to zoo animals and I was gonna say, this thread was gonna go in some weird places.

Lemurs are cool though.

That would have been a very awkward typo :3

2 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Meh.

You'll feel sad for ten minutes and then you'll get interested in some other cute animal. 

That's how it goes. 

I don't think so. Not with an animal that I've known for two years since it was a baby.
I'll get over it, but it's gonna suck for quite some time...

2 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

to the picture description... HINTERNKNUDDELN!

3 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

I did, they don't know about that yet. These things are being decided on short notice. For example, they were supposed to get a new red panda next week but the little guy has been there for two weeks already.
It's possible that when I go there on a Sunday they won't know anything yet but a week later she is gone.

See what I told Toboe. These things are being decided very quickly. Also, the zoo staff doesn't know this in advance. The management is being told what to do and then it's like "Oh by the way, these two lemurs will be shipped to Antarctica tomorrow". And that's that :/

Will they be able to tell you reliably afterwards? (Rather than just: "They were send to god knows where")

Wish ya luck.

3 minutes ago, Toboe said:

to the picture description... HINTERNKNUDDELN!

Will they be able to tell you reliably afterwards? (Rather than just: "They were send to god knows where")

Wish ya luck.

The thing is that it might actually be true X3 After I uploaded this shot I read that a male will sometimes cling to a the female he got lucky with and pretend that they are mating. That way no other male can get her!

They probably will know it then. But considering that their previous African wild dog went to England and they actually got most of their lemurs from England I won't be getting my hopes up.

2 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

You're over doing it. 

Well, yeah. That is kind of the point of this rant :V

8 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Why are you taking pictures of lemurs fucking and uploading them to FA? You know at least 5 people have furiously masturbated to that right?

You should have seen how I took that picture. I was lying right in front of them, on the ground. That is why he has that awesome expression I guess X3
Is that dedication? Is it weird? I'll let you dedice.

11 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

You should have seen how I took that picture. I was lying right in front of them, on the ground. That is why he has that awesome expression I guess X3
Is that dedication? Is it weird? I'll let you dedice.

You were lying down in front of fucking lemurs.... That just begs for stupid jokes!

32 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

We have several here in Germany! There is another zoo with red ruffed lemurs, it's like the most exotic petting zoo ever and the lemurs absolutely LOVE the attention^^ They almost seem disappointed when they come to you and you don't pet them :P
The zoo that I'm talking about here is a little different. The management says it's allowed to pet them, their website says it isn't. Some zookeepers say you can pet them, others say you can't and then there are others who say you can but only if you are careful. It's weird.
I just do it when there aren't many visitors. Because if there are lots of kids they will chase the animals and I want to avoid that.
By the way, they are ridiculously soft!

man that's unfortunate. but hopefully it's just a transfer to someplace close like you said.

but now I'm tempted to go to one of these zoos next time I'm in Germany lol

21 minutes ago, Toboe said:

You were lying down in front of fucking lemurs.... That just begs for stupid jokes!

There was no one else there so I didn't really care X3

18 minutes ago, willow said:

man that's unfortunate. but hopefully it's just a transfer to someplace close like you said.

but now I'm tempted to go to one of these zoos next time I'm in Germany lol

Yeah I hope so. But it's very unlikely, it's an international breeding program afterall :T
And you should! The zoo with these ring-tailed lemurs is in Duisburg and the one with the red ruffed lemurs is in Gelsenkirchen. They are both great!

17 minutes ago, Gamedog said:

Oh no an animal photographer sometimes catches photos of animals doing natural things

call nat geo! Call discovery channel! Call animal planet! This is huge!

What a monster! We must seek out and destroy him at once!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Why are you taking pictures of lemurs fucking and uploading them to FA? You know at least 5 people have furiously masturbated to that right?

People furiously masturbate to pictures of feet, too, but pictures of those get uploaded everywhere. Besides, it's a picture of a natural occurrence. No need to make it weird.

--------------------

That's sad they're moving your favorite lemur. But just think! This gives all the other little lemurs a chance to be your fave :D

7 hours ago, GamingGal said:

This gives all the other little lemurs a chance to be your fave :D

But they all smell awful D:
Three weeks ago or so it got really warm for one day, like 15°C. So first she came out and just sat on my knee. Then her brother came out, who already smells quite a bit! He sat on my other knee. Then their dad got curious and sat on my leg. So I had these three smelly fellas just sitting on me. That was pretty bad, but then their mom came out...

22526652932_6837285c18_b.jpgRing-Tailed Lemur by Mathias Appel, auf Flickr

Holy crap she reeks! She is definitely the smelliest of them (and freaking gigantic X3). She sat next to me and not on me, but that was enough to make the situation really uncomfortable XP

Come to think of it, why do I hang out with them? I need to check my priorities...

Edited by Käpt'n

18 hours ago, Toshabi said:

Ain't much for pussy. I'm a bara kinda croc. 

What the fuck is bara? I'm scared to look that up :o

Oh also, I thought of something. If she and her brother are being put into zoos that don't have open enclosures and where they will be stuck in a cage or behind glass for the rest of their lives instead of being able to run around outside and climb on trees I will be fucking devestated...

4 hours ago, Sylver said:

There's a video on liveleak showing the aftermath of a kid who tried feeding a lion.

They took the food, but took his arm with them :3

Wasn't there also a man who helt up his kid to a lion or tiger so he could pet the kitty but then the animal tore his son's hand off? i can only find an incident that happened in Brazil in 2014, but I could have sworn there was a more recent incident like this in America.

4 hours ago, Sylver said:

Edited by Käpt'n

I wouldn't call it entertaining, it worries me how many retards are allowed too breed... "Yeah, pet the kitty! Those fangs are just for show! :3"
I see with the lemurs as well. Sure, they are pretty much harmless and very friendly because they are used to people being close to them. But they are still wild-ish animals! Trying to pick them up or pissing them off is a bad idea!