the Muzeion, house of the Muses - a place for art lovers

Caledonian

Welcome to the Muzeion!
this is a place to discus Art! (and with Art I mean the kind of art you'd find in a museum)
what is your favourite artwork? seen any great expositions lately? have you bought any art or replicas recently?
Rant about your favourite artist, discuss how van Gogh lost his ear (my money is on Gaugin cutting it off), praise the art you saw lately, or warn us for bad exhibitions. perhaps you have research to show us?

I am Caledonian, first year Heritage and Museology student and I will start this thread off by showing one of my favourite works from my extensive replica collection.

caspar-david-friedrich-nebel-fog-1807.jp

• Like 1

It's funny, because the few times I've been to museums, I was really young and didn't want to go. I had better things to do like play Pokemon or some shit. So my experiences with them all have sour memories because I was bored as fuck and look at the painting. Whatever.

And now that I'm an adult, I've really fallen in love with all kinds of art, and I certainly respect the fuck out of it, be in painting, writing, sculpting, etc. I'd be down for visiting an actual museum again, but there are few in my area and no one I know would give a fuck to go with me :P

As to the OP, I LOVE Salvadore Dali. Well, maybe not love in caps, but I really like what I've seen. Surrealism is wonderful. H.R. Geiger is a favorite as well. Not sure how many museums host his stuff though. It's pretty disturbing and he's fairly recent, so not old enough to be a snobbish guy to love.

I'm a sucker for anything with a dark feel to it or pretty natural scenes, especially night scenes. I also like abstracts when they're not super bright (I tend to like red/blue/black colors only there, but there are exceptions). I don't have any particular favorites because I never really pay attention to names and I've not gone to any museums or anything, but I do enjoy seeing these stuffs around the interwebz.

I've been very tempted lately to purchase pretties from Amazon, but the reviews scare me... Quality of the reproductions can vary greatly, even within the same company.

I know I've posted it around phoenix a handful of times before, but I really like this statuette:

56ba9da705f16_DSC_0118-Small.thumb.png.9

There were 4 or 5 other fox-themed pieces by this artist. I'm severely tempted to hunt down and purchase another.

Edited by DrGravitas
Spelling

Boy do I fuckin LOVE ART MUSEUMS. Wish there was a larger one closer to me, we have a local small one, it's not really enough to roam for more than an hour. :(

I've got bunches of favs but the first three that come to mind when we're not talking about modern day artists are Frederic Leighton, John Singer Sargent and Michelangelo (I'm sorry I know). I used to read everything I could about Michelangelo when I was younger and he's stuck with me.

As far as favorite pieces, Invocation by Leighton and Meditative Rose by Dali are somewhere in my top 5.

7 hours ago, Caledonian said:

Interesting statue, who made it?

Gustav Vigeland. It resides in Frogner Park of Oslo, Norway. While it is certainly one of the stranger statues there, it is hardly the only strange one present.

Also:

22 minutes ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Dunno, found it on 9GAG.

You website choice is bad and you should feel bad :V

Edited by DrGravitas
Word placement

48 minutes ago, Azure said:

art talk eh?

when i was in rome some time ago, i visited some branch of the vatican, and there was michaelangelos david statue sittin all nice and pretty

what i learned that day was the dude who slew goliath had a seriously tiny penis

Well duh, the moral of that story was all about how size doesn't matter.

What? You thought it was talking about their height? Pffft.

2 hours ago, #00Buck said:

I make my own organic sculpture in the toilet. 

Each one is special and unique. 

the artist  Piero Manzoni cans his own poo as "Artist Shit" and sells it.
11ee788c80d879e1fa3913576c4468b2.jpg

3 hours ago, MagnusGear said:

Boy do I fuckin LOVE ART MUSEUMS. Wish there was a larger one closer to me, we have a local small one, it's not really enough to roam for more than an hour. :(

I've got bunches of favs but the first three that come to mind when we're not talking about modern day artists are Frederic Leighton, John Singer Sargent and Michelangelo (I'm sorry I know). I used to read everything I could about Michelangelo when I was younger and he's stuck with me.

As far as favorite pieces, Invocation by Leighton and Meditative Rose by Dali are somewhere in my top 5.

why are you sorry about liking michey? he's a brilliant artist! and I love Dali's work, and dali as a person he was so strange it's cool

1 hour ago, Azure said:

art talk eh?

when i was in rome some time ago, i visited some branch of the vatican, and there was michaelangelos david statue sittin all nice and pretty

what i learned that day was the dude who slew goliath had a seriously tiny penis

this was the ideal of beauty at the time. a small penis was found more sexy than a large one, just like small breasts were found sexier than large ones.

david-full-front.jpg

but in dementions the David has something else of a weird size...hands. Imagine he places that hand on his face

3 hours ago, Kinare said:

I'm a sucker for anything with a dark feel to it or pretty natural scenes, especially night scenes. I also like abstracts when they're not super bright (I tend to like red/blue/black colors only there, but there are exceptions). I don't have any particular favorites because I never really pay attention to names and I've not gone to any museums or anything, but I do enjoy seeing these stuffs around the interwebz.

I've been very tempted lately to purchase pretties from Amazon, but the reviews scare me... Quality of the reproductions can vary greatly, even within the same company.

Caspar_David_Friedrich_-_K%C3%BCste_bei_

Caspar David Friedrich - Küste bei Mondschein

I'm sorry, I'm a sucker for Caspar david Friedrich

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Azure said:

art talk eh?

I once read an interesting article that said the huge figure of David, when viewed from over its head, could be seen to have its eyes looking up and fearful. As if looking at an even more titanic Goliath. When you're afraid, you penis shrivels up too.

Also: randoms arts!

I254eww.thumb.jpg.25350a9450a0fddc802fbf

y99YMQm.jpg.246d5ea0ee973779aaac70d74a26

Love the eyes in this one:

56bb36dd42572_REPIN_Ivan_TerribleIvan.th

Rembrandt_Harmensz._van_Rijn_136.thumb.j

Yeah it's furry. So what? I like it.

1roY9IB_jonathanvair.thumb.jpg.a2167dd46

w527e2B.jpg.0cd4523c2918147b50a2717d45a8

13 hours ago, Caledonian said:

yeah, I think the air of Friedrich's work is one without equal, even in the time period (Romantic Art, early 19th century)

snip

I don't hope to aspire to much more than, "this is fun" but paintings like that really make me want to paint. Like, really badly.