Physical activity: do you do any? A poll

^  

51 members have voted

1. 1. ^

• Yes, at least once a week
    • Yes, more than once a week
    • Yes, everyday
    • Sometimes. No more than a few times a month
    • No, though I try to make up for it somehow, for example by going to the supermarket on foot instead of by car and so on and so forth
    • No

I'm asking a bunch of nerds so I'm expecting a lotta noes but I may just remain surprised. I'm super sedentary myself so I wonder how many other people are an amoeba like yours truly

Was thinking about starting a thread like this a while back...glad someone else did it for me. xD I run three miles a day and then bike another five...ten if I'm bored. I also work out at the gym about twice a week and I am currently enrolled in basic martial arts classes (punching bags for an hour).

No. Although I do everything on foot and I don't have a job that allows me to just sit around all damn day.
If I don't stuff my face too much I do lose weight without any excercise. Although that doesn't change that I am a complete mess and I will probably die because of sudden cardiac arrest in my mid 30s :V

I go for a walk on my lunch break, usually for 45 minutes to a hour. It's nice to get up and out of my cubicle and away from everything. Plus, the office is in the middle of a beautiful 200 acre wooded lot with trails; It'd be a shame be not use them!

The snowscape on today's walk was absolutly sublime. Winter walks are my favorite! ^.^

Edited by DrGravitas
Spelling
  • Like 1

Every damn day since I am a dining room attendant I'm constantly on me feet hauling heavy trays and other heavy objects than I walk about a mile home afterwards 

When I get home usual do some sit ups and push ups if I go to the gym it's mostly body weight workouts with a ten minute run as a warm up 

By all rights I should have clicked no, because I'm a lump, but my job keeps me on my feet. It's a 1.5 mile walk there in the morning, and I do plenty of walking and bending etc when I'm there. When I'm home, the most exercise I get is dashing up the stairs 3 at a time and walking down the street to buy junk food. 

I try to walk three or so miles a day, though ti's been too cold for that lately.

I've started doing kettle bell workouts when I get home. Only about half hours worth of exercise, but ti's better than nothing. A bad cold kinda put me off of it, and now I'm finding it really hard to get back into the habit :P

In a normal week I go to strength and flex class, usually I try and get on the 1.5 hour long class because they make us do tons of conditioning. And pole dance on another day which is an hour long class. On Sunday afternoons I will do my workout DVD, I can't make it very far into that at the moment because again it's conditioning, but I'm hoping to be able to do all of it eventually. And Monday through to Thursday I end up doing around an hour of walking to and from the teaching building on campus from where I live. Fridays we are at the teaching hospital all day and we go there by car so there's no real walking involved there (unless the walking around we do there counts).

Apart from that, I used to go swimming a couple of times a week, but since I got my nose pierced again, I've been avoiding the water. It's about time to get back to it though since it's healing up well.

I'm trying to get in shape basically. I'm targeting my ass mainly, and my goal is to receive at least one compliment on my appearance from a male member of the course I'm on. Which is insanely ambitious, I know, and I'm highly unlikely to achieve my goal. But I'll be healthier whether I reach my goal or not.

Since I bought a gym pass subscription, I best make good use of it. I go there 2-3 times a week doing 1 hour of intense leg and arm exercise

That, and daily walks with the dog

And if I am feeling particularly tired, I do some push or sit-ups

I don't work out per se, but I'm a server at a high volume restaurant, so for five hours a day I'm running my ass off. I've been thinking of getting a pedometer simply to see how many steps I take in an average day of serving. Other than that, I'm rather lazy. I don't gain weight, though, due to the whole vegetarian thing. Generally my energy and weight levels stay the same, so why fix something that isn't broken? xD

meh, i try to take walks and do some little indoor exercises most days, but after going out of town, being busy, then getting sick, i started slacking off.  i still walk a mile a day, at least.  been feeling slightly better so hopefully i can get back to doing more.  will be nice when i get back to work and have an excuse to move around all day; the only thing i have to do at home is use the damn computer.

I love the gym, it's like a big games room, but I'm too insecure and lack the discipline to actually commit to joining one. I did for a little while in 2014, but as I felt more and more out of place I stopped going. I hadn't stayed long enough to see a difference, and I didn't really know what difference I wanted to make. I just enjoy running and lifting things, and I just felt like an idiot with no goal in mind.

So my answer is no, but shoehorning in what I can so that I don't feel like I'm actively avoiding it with over-reliance on buses. I do enjoy exercise though; just don't have the confidence to put myself out there among other people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terminal7 said:

Does yoga count as physical activity?

Even if it's forced?

Yeah sure

2 hours ago, Teto said:

I love the gym, it's like a big games room, but I'm too insecure and lack the discipline to actually commit to joining one. I did for a little while in 2014, but as I felt more and more out of place I stopped going. I hadn't stayed long enough to see a difference, and I didn't really know what difference I wanted to make. I just enjoy running and lifting things, and I just felt like an idiot with no goal in mind.

So my answer is no, but shoehorning in what I can so that I don't feel like I'm actively avoiding it with over-reliance on buses. I do enjoy exercise though; just don't have the confidence to put myself out there among other people.

This and my utter laziness are the only things keeping me from going to the gym.

Personally I used to go swimming twice a week for about 7 years I think? I stopped for a year, then I did triathlon. It was the absolute worst, I was out of shape and was really struggling. I couldn't help but feel like a failure compared to the other kids so I just gave up. This summer, by the end of august to mid september, I started to go running for at least 20 minutes a day but with school restarting, being busy and not having enough time for myself I cut that off too. Now I'm just being an amoeba lol

23 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Martial arts about twice a week.

That's pretty cool! Also remind me to never fuck with you

I'm also genuinely surprised at how many people actually do fitness

I walk a lot and ride my bike to work. I'm an sales associate so I'm constantly moving and walking around the store stocking stuff. sometimes I go to the gym on campus a few times a week for about an hour, but I haven't been lately because I can't find any of my gym clothes

and I guess playing games like DDR and Just Dance help too

I honestly think there isnt anything wrong with not proactively being fit like having a legitimate workout/exercise routine so long as your normal day-to-day life involves some kind of physical activity. And it doesnt have to be all the time but a fair amount of the time.

And things like taking the stairs not the elevator, walking to a nearby store not driving, and the like a pretty straightforward. I rarely opt for an elevator when stairs are quicker.

It's all a matter of how much of a first world life that basically detracts from normal healthy human activity do we live

I'm pretty active. I get together with some friends now and then and we have a Bboy cypher. We have about 6 people and we just practice our techniques. We also sometimes just get together and dance just to dance.

This same group of people and I are all practicing capoeiristas and we get together and hold a Roda as a learning game for people who are new to the group and want to learn.

I'm also a lover of hiking so I like to explore our local redwood forests for some adventure and Geocaching. Sometimes I also bring a nature guide and go out to search for California native species of plant and animal life.

Gym twice a week two times a day is also on my list. Mostly cardio and some light lifting.

Edited by Vaer
  • Like 1

Martial arts twice a week (Iaido, and uses to do Kendo, and really need to get back into it). I mainly do it to get me of my ass to exercise. I also sometimes walk on a treadmill for an hour in the mornings while catching up on anime. It's supposed to be a daily thing, but sometimes I get out of bed too late and work beckons. This whole week I spend skiing every day.