Dark Souls III

Aresh

I am so in. I thought I'd find the medieval style kinda luke-warm after Bloodborne because I was all about that gothic shit, but man the art team is doing amazing work on it.

I can't wait to see how much the weapon arts and the new Mana bar mechanics change everything up. I'm going to have to put on blinder for Japanese spoilers though... >_>

1 hour ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

I hope there is possiblities for fight clubs and stuff, Dark souls 2 pvp has been one of my main gaming things for quite a long time. also hopefully there can be 6 players in one world again so we can do stuff like this.

it will be 8 players in ds3

have you seen the pvp sever test they did on ps4?

1 minute ago, Hewge said:

I'll play it if they put a little effort into a decent PC port for once :v

The second game port was better than the first game  but they still could have done better.

It's one for few games that forced me to use a xbox controller to avoid hassle

I dig lore posting a lot but at this point I'm kinda waiting for the game first. I'll power through the game in a few long sessions first and then draw my own theory, then I go and compare to everyone else. It was a blast for Bloodborne and coming up with something on your own leads to small details that you can contribute into conversations that other people miss.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2016 at 6:01 PM, AlastairSnowpaw said:

I hope the abyss watcher is a covenant you can join.

I think they will be a boss

(spoilers)

it said they're a lord of cinder, which I think would be really cool as that would mean they all linked the fire together

Edited by Aresh

16 minutes ago, Aresh said:

I think they will be a boss

(spoilers)

it said they're a lord of cinder, which I think would be really cool as that would mean they all linked the fire together

true though there have been covenants by bosses before in the other souls games so it's likley there may be one for them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't like how slow the combat is in Dark Souls games to be honest. And I feel like at times the game is designed around the idea that you're going to die rather than giving you a chance to see something coming at times. Like you're supposed to know something is there before you get there. 

Just now, Battlechili said:

I don't like how slow the combat is in Dark Souls games to be honest. And I feel like at times the game is designed around the idea that you're going to die rather than giving you a chance to see something coming at times. Like you're supposed to know something is there before you get there. 

i think more of the death comes from walking into groups rather than speed, you can be fast enough to run away from stuff and everything is dodge rollable on reaction and you can roll out of most situations, except those surprised groups that surround you.

3 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

i think more of the death comes from walking into groups rather than speed, you can be fast enough to run away from stuff and everything is dodge rollable on reaction and you can roll out of most situations, except those surprised groups that surround you.

Oh no don't get me wrong; I didn't mean to say that I think the speed of the combat contributes to deaths or anything (I was only talking about that in how the game sometimes throws surprises at you). The game is designed around being able to dodge enemies and enemies aren't much faster than you are, so the speed itself is perfect for the game's combat. I was just saying that speed wise, that I don't personally like how slow the game is. I like faster action games and moving around in Souls games feels sluggish and weighty to me. Its hard for me to get into a Souls game.

Just now, Battlechili said:

Oh no don't get me wrong; I didn't mean to say that I think the speed of the combat contributes to deaths or anything (I was only talking about that in how the game sometimes throws surprises at you). The game is designed around being able to dodge enemies and enemies aren't much faster than you are, so the speed itself is perfect for the game's combat. I was just saying that speed wise, that I don't personally like how slow the game is. I like faster action games and moving around in Souls games feels sluggish and weighty to me. Its hard for me to get into a Souls game.

Ah that's fair and yea it kind of is how dark souls is because you're generally wearing some heavy armor and weapons, so it makes sense the character is slow. That being said in DS2 you could do combat pretty fast and PvP is pretty infamous for "Ballerna" play where players play unlocked and tend to circle around to make their movement sporadic.

Ofcourse nothing would be the speed of bayonetta of DMC.

24 hours down the drain;

Level 64
Archdragon Peak

I found a great NPC again, in Dark Souls 1 he was stuck in a tower and hard to kill, now he's stuck in a room and even harder to kill.

Bosses so far seem a bit hit or miss, either they are really really easy or have some cheap moves that will oneshot.

I think it's funny how big Dark Souls fanatics think this game is perfect. I like it a lot but it is far from perfect, and every time I have a minor complaint I get "Get good scrub, quit whining."

The Dark Souls community is just the worst, lol.

The game has mistakes, the issues the fanbase has is that a lot of players think lack of skill equals buggy/bad design.

I cleared the game for the first time yesterday, and besides a small bug in Irythil dungeon, I encountered no real issues. Most of my issues were my lack of skill or sprinting ahead when I shouldn't have :(
But running through the game again, so if you can post issues I can see if I can repeat them.

What issues are you encountering though? I'm quite curious, and maybe I can give some tips or help :P

I've mostly been having issues with enemies hitting me through my I-frames and parries doing absolutely nothing.

I attribute the latter part to FromSoft nerfing the everloving shit out of parries, though. The poise stat is totally busted, too.

My tip, avoid parries. they are pretty much useless in PVE, I haven't used them and clear the bosses just fine. They are wonky as hell

Being hit through I-frames, I have that as well, there is a ring that gives you more I-Frames which helped me a ton.

25 minutes ago, MuttButt said:

I watched a streamer kill 95 people in a row without dying in pvp today, sometimes fighting them three at a time. he didn't seem to have any trouble parrying them.

in pvp they are great, since you can parry backstabs. But in pve they are pretty meh.

15 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

I've mostly been having issues with enemies hitting me through my I-frames and parries doing absolutely nothing.

I attribute the latter part to FromSoft nerfing the everloving shit out of parries, though. The poise stat is totally busted, too.

the iframes in the rolls are different in each game same with the timing for the parries so that's prolly why it happens. also you actually have to ripose after the parry in order for the damage to happen. when you land a parry there's a huge obvious sound effect. However I have gotten off some parries where i took the damage which is odd.

Poise has been a mess since DS2, just means it's totaly viable for me to fight in a dress :3 which i like.

Though the really dumb thing is how so many hitboxes can hit through walls, pretty sure that's the reason why a super important npc for my first characters build ended up dieing.... at least i tend to abuse it back with whips.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

So I decided to use a Blessed Gem on my Zweihander, and I like to cats Dark Blade on it so basically it's like Jesus and Satan are fighting over my sword.

Update: This idea did not work.

Dark Souls 3 is a fucking shit game. :U

2 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

Update: This idea did not work.

Dark Souls 3 is a fucking shit game. :U

well blessed lowers damage for healing. it's best to have on a shield so you passively heal. also besides buffs magic is really at it's weakest in dark souls 3.

Also a couple fun facts:

The best parrying tool is an offhand cestus, i don't know the exact frames but it's faster and not as long delay as other parry items. I have been using it recently and it's a very good parry.

if you're getting hit by a combo and someone is mashing R1 you can parry the third hit.

Here's a good example of both:

• Like 1

Alternatively try the lothric knight shield, highest stability parry shield that I know of.  Block the first swing and parry the second. I hope this catches on so I can find someone who doesn't rb spam with a certain friggin longsword.