Rave: It's Pączki TIME!!!

Crazy Lee

So yes, it's the season for Pączkis. I can't go into a grocery store without seeing a whole stack of them in front of me, floor to ceiling, beckoning them to me with their glazed or powdered exteriors and their delicious fillings, oozing out with every bite oh my god.

Pączkis, pronounced Pawnch-keys, is a traditional polish pastry. They basically look like round jelly donuts with a fruit or cream filling, although they're usually made of a slightly different dough mix than your normal donut.  They are filled with different fruit fillings like strawberry, apple, raspberry, blueberry, lemon, pineapple, or a vanilla or chocolate creme filling.

In Poland they're mostly eaten starting on Fat Thursday, and then until Ash Wednesday and the beginning of the fasting of Lent, supposedly to fatten up before starving yourself to death for 40 days to worship Jesus or some weird shit catholics do. In America they're eaten leading up to (and sometimes after) Fat Tuesday which is the day before Ash Wed, and also Mardi Gras day, the excuse for young people to drink and flash their titties for no reason.

They're popular in Southeastern Michigan thanks to a very large Polish community that was in the Detroit area, in the city of Hamtramck (Ham-tram-ick). Hamtramck used to be 90% polish and the center of Paczkis in the area.

Time to go out and get diabeetus!

Oh yes, and from what I've seen of the ones in grocery stores (not sure about Tim's), they're not authentic, in other words they're made with regular donut or cake dough and not the special egg and fat heavy dough a Polish might cook them with. I've seen authentic polish bakery ones at Whole Paycheck, at least locally.

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

Pączkis, pronounced Pawnch-keys...

LIES! It's "pooch-keys"!

I don't care if it's not the right way to say it, this is how most people I know say it and that's how I'll keep saying it as I try my best to avoid them.

I only tend to like lemon and raspberry w/ powdered sugar, but even with those I need to remove nearly all of the filling. It's horrible, I know, but I'm just not into excessive filling. I am curious tho where I might be able to get some legit ones, not these silly donut-like ones.

Edited by Kinare

3 hours ago, Kinare said:

I am curious tho where I might be able to get some legit ones, not these silly donut-like ones.

1) Go to Poland, find a polish person.

2) Demand in German that they put some Paczkis in the oven or you will put them in an oven.

3) profit....

Or, Go to Hamtramck to get some, or I did mention I thought I saw some at Whole Frauds. I think Plum Market has them too but that's a local chain.

Edited by Crazy Lee
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

1) Find polish people.

2) force them to cook for you, speaking in german, under threat of gas chamber

3) profit....

Or, Go to Hamtramck to get some, or I did mention I thought I saw some at Whole Frauds. I think Plum Market has them too but that's a local chain.

Never heard of any of those stores. >< Google will probably know! Shame I'm not closer to Detroit I guess, could probably find them easy there if there's still a large amount of Polish folk.

3 hours ago, Kinare said:

Never heard of any of those stores. >< Google will probably know! Shame I'm not closer to Detroit I guess, could probably find them easy there if there's still a large amount of Polish folk.

Whole Frauds is Whole Foods silly, are you telling me you don't even have one of those near you? Or Kroger or Meijer, who sell them but I don't think the recipe they use is authentic.

Here's a recipe I found online:

http://www.mlive.com/advancenewspapers/opinion/index.ssf/2013/02/recipe_accept_no_substitutes_t.html

Edited by Crazy Lee

4 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

Whole Frauds is Whole Foods silly, are you telling me you don't even have one of those near you? Or Kroger or Meijer, who sell them but I don't think the recipe they use is authentic.

Here's a recipe I found online:

http://www.mlive.com/advancenewspapers/opinion/index.ssf/2013/02/recipe_accept_no_substitutes_t.html

Yeah, I knew what you meant. :P No Whole Foods near me, else it's hidden and I've never seen it. Meijer and Kroger and Wal-Mart all have them, but it's the fake donut kind I think.

Anyhoo, Google was helpful, but most of the places in my city that make them fresh only make them on Monday and Tuesday and no other day. There is one that supposedly is making them all week, might check it out.

Edited by Kinare

13 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

In Poland they're mostly eaten starting on Fat Thursday, and then until Ash Wednesday and the beginning of the fasting of Lent, supposedly to fatten up before starving yourself to death for 40 days to worship Jesus or some weird shit catholics do.

Thank you good sir for the good laugh