Huh, I should have thought of that sooner

AshleyAshes

So, blah blah, Ashley has a bunch of uniforms in her closet beaus in College she was all 'I AM GOING ALL THE FUCK OUT BECAUSE I WANT JOB AT THE END OF THIS!' and that indeed paid off.  However, aside from some occasional cosplay, I now have paramedic and police uniforms hanging in my closet, next to the maid dresses, school girl uniforms, scrubs, ya know, all the usual closet things.  I still wanna make my own cop show someday, but I am caught up in this whole 'working for other people because cha-ching!' so they hang there.  I decide to post about it on a local web series community where people are ACTUALLY trying to make their own stuff.

...So apparently people will clamor to RENT this stuff from me to us in their own productions.  Like, I think I have 3-4 productions wanting onboard already.  Why the heck did I not think of this three years ago? O.o  ...What ELSE can I rent to people?  Clearly the real money in the gold rush isn't the gold, it's selling shovels and pickaxes to other people.

MVI_9132.MOV.Still001.thumb.png.950a9a41Uniforms.thumb.png.4b5aae143d00ded8d7179

Edited by AshleyAshes
  • Like 1

Just now, willow said:

where did you even get the police uniforms though?

Uniform and body armor suppliers accept Visa. :)  Every municipality or county typically runs it's own first responder services, for a lot of them, their uniforms are just bought off the shelf and they slap on the appropriate patches so I bought off the same shelves.

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Uniform and body armor suppliers accept Visa. :)  Every municipality or county typically runs it's own first responder services, for a lot of them, their uniforms are just bought off the shelf and they slap on the appropriate patches so I bought off the same shelves.

that's pretty interesting. I don't even think you can buy those in the US without having a permit :/

well..at least not legally I should say

Just now, willow said:

that's pretty interesting. I don't even think you can buy those in the US without having a permit :/

Dunno.  Obviously IMPERSONATING a peace officer is a crime in Canada, but there's a huge difference between convincing your neighbors that you're a cop so they better let you into their apartment vs playing 'cop' on camera, where there's crew, other actors, and everyone is knowingly playing pretend.

1 hour ago, willow said:

/that's pretty interesting. I don't even think you can buy those in the US without having a permit :/

Yeah you can usually go to local uniform shops and online suppliers to get basic uniform stuff here in the US no problem. But for some  things, like badges, then yes you do need to have a permit or some form of ID showing that you are law enforcement. And also, you'll be surprised at what you can find on some online surplus stores as well.  But yeah, most productions tend to go with basic off the shelf uniforms because it's generally the easier route to go. 

But anyways, I'm really glad you've found a way to make some money from your costume collection Ashley. A lot of small productions would rather rent over buying a specific costume. Especially if it's just going to be used for one scene in a movie or a short video. The same can go for props as well. Most have small budgets to work with and getting someone who makes great quality costumes and props can become expensive, depending on how the person makes them and what they use. I've literally seen movies that have used nerf blasters that have been heavily painted and weathered as the evil and highly advanced army's weapons. They looked really good and well done, But it was cheaper than making thirty or forty custom blasters from scratch and probably took less time as well.  

Edited by Rouge Artist
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

However, aside from some occasional cosplay, I now have paramedic and police uniforms hanging in my closet, next to the maid dresses, school girl uniforms, scrubs,

Why the heck did I not think of this three years ago? O.o  ...What ELSE can I rent to people?

*cough* oldest profession *cough*

:P

1 minute ago, Mayonnaise said:

Uniforms. 

Like I said, there's no law strictly limiting there control, but there are laws in Canada that prevent one from 'impersonating a peace officer' because peace officers have certain legal abilities that one could abuse that regular citizens don't have.  I can't just walk around the city, dressed like a cop, and not get in trouble, because people would think I was a cop.  This gets more messy if one has the markings of a real police service but while you see old, pre-amalgamation 'Metropolitan Toronto Police' in the photos, which look a LOT like the current post-amalgamation patches, I also have some fairly safer fake Canadian police patches too thanks to the wonders of the internet.

So, yeah, there are laws, but it's all contextual.  Like how one actor saying to another, on camera 'I'm going to kill you!' is just 'acting' rather than 'uttering death threats'.  And expanding on that, one can't just film while surrounded by unassuming normies going about their day while you're trying to do some kinda police shoot out on your front lawn.  But informing the neighbors of what's being filmed, what time what date, what to expect to see, is all standard practice in film.

$_12.jpg

3 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Clever, clever! Good use of what you have on had. Now use those rental fees to reinvest in your business and expand your stock of uniforms! You have the beginnings of a film costume company or even an embryonic Cintas!

It's a good thing that I have a uniform fetish! :D 

Edited by AshleyAshes
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Like I said, there's no law strictly limiting there control, but there are laws in Canada that prevent one from 'impersonating a peace officer' because peace officers have certain legal abilities that one could abuse that regular citizens don't have.  I can't just walk around the city, dressed like a cop, and not get in trouble, because people would think I was a cop.  This gets more messy if one has the markings of a real police service but while you see old, pre-amalgamation 'Metropolitan Toronto Police' in the photos, which look a LOT like the current post-amalgamation patches, I also have some fairly safer fake Canadian police patches too thanks to the wonders of the internet.

So, yeah, there are laws, but it's all contextual.  Like how one actor saying to another, on camera 'I'm going to kill you!' is just 'acting' rather than 'uttering death threats'.  And expanding on that, one can't just film while surrounded by unassuming normies going about their day while you're trying to do some kinda police shoot out on your front lawn.  But informing the neighbors of what's being filmed, what time what date, what to expect to see, is all standard practice in film.

$_12.jpg

I've always wondered about this, thanks! :D