DrGravitas

Do you have Skype?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have Skype?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only because I have to
    • Yes, but I rarely/never use it
    • No, and not for the world would I join it.

Since I started in this forum, I've noticed a lot of people have Skype. I don't. Personally, I prefer the open community discussion environment of a forum, rather than a one-on-one chit chat. Though, I do use IRC #phoenix.

But, I'm curious if I'm missing out on important (or at least fun) stuff. So, who has Skype and uses it regularly?

I have Skype. Used to be my main source of talking to people until I found about about sites like Discord and Slack

Skype is....its like Youtube. Its the most well known and most used thing out there, even though there are just as good if not better programs to use. Thing is, its just safe to have with things like business calls and the like. 

That or you could use Google Talk. I think thats just as popular

Edited by DevilishlyHandsome49

Short answer, no.

Skype is really just another chat platform for most people, if people used MSN or hotmail in the past, they more often or not continue to keep using skype because of the Microsoft migration. On top of that, its also been integrated to most windows platforms. Its a lot like Facebook. People hate its guts, yet people use it so much.

I have Skype that I only use because everyone else is using it and is refusing to move over to IRC or Discord.
Primarily using Linux, I have to either use multiboot to get the thing running or use the web Skype plugin for Pidgin, which doesn't support everything the normal desktop client does.
The Linux native version from Microsoft brings my machine to a halt and doesn't support x64 architectures, so it's useless.
Overall, Skype is shit and there are much better alternatives out there, in my opinion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

I have Skype. Used to be my main source of talking to people until I found about about sites like Discord and Slack

Skype is....its like Youtube. Its the most well known and most used thing out there, even though there are just as good if not better programs to use. Thing is, its just safe to have with things like business calls and the like. 

That or you could use Google Talk. I think thats just as popular

Wow, I forgot Google Talk exists. No thank you!

WODx2Rk.gif.b3a14669a9cc4e6af83a868c1a89

4 minutes ago, george99g said:

I have Skype that I only use because everyone else is using it and is refusing to move over to IRC or Discord.
Primarily using Linux, I have to either use multiboot to get the thing running or use the web Skype plugin for Pidgin, which doesn't support everything the normal desktop client does.
The Linux native version from Microsoft brings my machine to a halt and doesn't support x64 architectures, so it's useless.
Overall, Skype is shit and there are much better alternatives out there, in my opinion.

A Skype plugin for Pidgin? The IRC client I already use, Pidgin? That sounds right up my alley! What doesn't it support?

1 minute ago, george99g said:

This is true, there's jitsi, tox, telegram I guess, even IRC does more than enough if set up correctly. Dozens of FOSS alternatives! But the problem is always that people aren't willing to use a different service, despite it being so much better. They would rather use what their friends use it. Because they already use something, whats the point of switching?

I bash Facebook, but the irony is people had the same argument I made about Skype when people were using MySpace. People wanna explore alternatives, people want to compare services to ensure they are on the best possible services. It just takes getting your own circle of friends to use something more reliable with things they would love for an old service to topple. However, in the case of Skype. It's also a large-scale business product for holding virtual meetings. So it's probably going to still be around. After all, Microsoft still holds the monopoly for enterprise software.

• Like 1

Just now, DrGravitas said:

A Skype plugin for Pidgin? The IRC client I already use, Pidgin? That sounds right up my alley! What doesn't it support?

Anyone using a peer-to-peer-only client will be unable to chat with you, contact requests are a bit shoddy, peer-to-peer groups do not work at all, voice and video is obviously not supported, file transfer doesn't work, message editing doesn't work and quoting doesn't work. It supports colored text, which the desktop one doesn't support.
You can have a look at their GitHub here and compile it if you want it.

2 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

I have skype and use it mainly for text chat.

I dislike group chats since you have to focus on it way more and can't really keep a conversation going as easily. I also dislike voice chat things since i tend to listen to my own stuff/the game i'm playing and prefer that over voice chat.

Is Skype commonly used for group chatting?

I used to use Skype all the time but for awhile I stopped partly because I was hardly ever on my computer long enough to use Skype and I was somewhat avoiding certain people. nevermind I didn't have very many people to talk to anyway so I just stopped using it. I've been slowly using it more though and I guess if I had more people to talk to I'll consider using it more often

53 minutes ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell. i've started removing skype contacts for this reason; i'd like to not rely on it.

I'm always on it even when I'm away from the computer. I am guilty of being in too many groups, though I only speak in two of them - a "dragon" chat where we spam dragon images and tease the crud out of each other, and a forum Skype group. Skype has never given me problems and all of my close friends are on there for instant contact, and that's all I ask for. I've tried other messengers but Skype has proven to work best for me.

I have a Skype yes, and it's not given me many problems and everyone I really need to talk to is on there.

I guess I don't ever pay attention to the UI stuff, I just hope it's usable for me and it is.

The big reason I don't actually use Discord to talk to forum people is.. well, I just don't know most of you, and don't have any reason to talk to many of you. If I do actually need to message you, I'll PM you here or on FA.

I only have Skype because when I was a mod for another site we were mandatoried to have it because it was where we did all our trainings and main communication between mods. When I quit that I also quit using Skype until just recently when the best option to bug a friend of mine ended up being Skype, so I only use it to talk to him.

I don't really use Skype much at all bar talking to 2 or 3 people. I used to use it while playing games with friends but since we've started using teamspeak haven't turned back. I will admit video calls used to be a lot of fun from time to time. Atm I mainly use discord for chatting to people online. I love the way it looks and it's great for text based chat although the voice can be a bit clunky, I still haven't been able to get my mic settings right.

I started using skype a lot because at some point I really wanted to make internet friends and join group chats where I thrive on. It didnt work for awhile since I had no idea who to add and I got random awkward encounters with random strangers which did not build into any semblence of a friendship.

After joining FAF things got a lot more busy and Ive been skyping since.

I have skype and only use it to chat with the following people

YellowFox

Garth

Muln

occasionally Arisoto and Naesaki.

I remember back then we used to have a Skype group which circulated into some big circlejerk party and is quick to exclude some people in it. Often they sprout drama that caused some distance between members of the community, most notably Chuchi. 

I hated it but I'm glad that I was able to do an interview on RedSavage life in there.