Justice Scalia is now dead

Crazy Lee

31 minutes ago, AlexInsane said:

If I were Obama, I wouldn't go to the funeral of someone who actively worked against my principles either. 

Also: 'high profile funerals'? What, are you seriously judged because you don't go to funerals? I guess if you're the POTUS you are, but that is IMPOSSIBLY petty and pointless. 

He and Scalia played nice, and now he is leaving the family and friends to say their last goodbyes. I really don't understand what is so crazy about that.

I wouldn't doubt people would call him attending Scalia's funeral a "political move," either. This might just be a symptom of people getting tired of the old president.

Just now, Rukh Whitefang said:

Yeah... Skips a funeral of a Scotus member but has time to go to Clementa Pinckney's, Ted Kennedy's, and Robert Byrd's  funeral. Obama is sending Biden to the funeral instead. Its a indecent snub. Last SCOTUS who past away was in 05 and not only did Bush go ,he gave a Eulogy.

• Pinckney was murdered in a way that worsened tensions between the people,
  • Kennedy was a friend and ally that Obama got to witness slowly die from cancer, and
  • Byrd had been a part of the federal government since before Obama was born, and had moved from being a hawkish and stark racist to being a supporter - even friend - of Obama - never mind that Obama got to witness the man have a seizure.

Bush attended and gave a eulogy because he liked and agreed with the man. Obama is not attending Scalia's funeral because he did not like or agree with the man. He said well of the man, gave his condolences, and moved on.

The only people obligated by tradition to attend the funeral of a justice are sitting justices and their secretaries. Presidents have often missed the funerals of retired justices, and there is not much evidence of them attending funerals of sitting justices before the '40s.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

I remember this. the funny thing is that I was trying to make a reference to another incident

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-what-hillary-clinton-ordered-at-chipotle-2015-4

scandalous 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I don't even know who that person is. So yeah, don't care.

He was a U.S. Supreme Court Justice that made jokes in official case dissents, and was fairly creative with his language.

You should care if it for nothing but the fact that he called another justice's ideas "interpretive jiggery-pokery," called the majority opinion in one case "legalistic argle-bargle," used "Pure applesauce" as a full sentence, wrote 'Huh' or 'Hmm' in most dissents I can find, and talks to himself in his dissents.

• Like 1

@Zaraphayx and @Crazy Lee I think you're thinking anarcho-communism or total social collapse. Mine is more spend years learning about all aspects of the system, only to realize it is SO fubared, one-sided, stacked in favor of a very vew, and so impossible to change, that at this point tearing it down and replacing it piece by piece is our only option.

On topic, it was recently pointed out to me that, for all his moralistic (asshole) faults, he did make a decision/majority opinion in quite a few cases dealing with protecting our liberties from unreasonable spying, searches, and property seizures. So, yay from protecting us from NSA/CIA/FBI overreach I guess.

Edited by Rassah
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rassah said:

@Zaraphayx and @Crazy Lee I think you're thinking anarcho-communism or total social collapse. Mine is more spend years learning about all aspects of the system, only to realize it is SO fubared, one-sided, stacked in favor of a very vew, and so impossible to change, that at this point tearing it down and replacing it piece by piece is our only option.

On topic, it was recently pointed out to me that, for all his moralistic (asshole) faults, he did make a decision/majority opinion in quite a few cases dealing with protecting our liberties from unreasonable spying, searches, and property seizures. So, yay from protecting us from NSA/CIA/FBI overreach I guess.

See there's these things called words and they mean something. When you claim to be an anarchist people are going to reasonably arrive at the conclusion that you believe in a dichotomization of "the state" and "everything else" and that you believe an ideal situation for all or most humans is one in which there is no state.

Believing that anarchy is the transitional state between one type of government and the next is a trivial observation of historical fact.

The thing is: anarchy rarely proceeds a better quality of life for several generations, if ever. You may be fine with enduring a complete societal breakdown to make way for some pie-in-the-sky minarchist utopia for people who aren't even born yet, but I've only got one life, and as bad as you think the world is; it's the best it's ever been. I and those like me who understand this will continue to settle for being "enslaved" in a world where we are free to pursue higher interests and give minimal consideration to providing for our basic needs rather than be free in a world that includes assured famine, pestilence, and death just to gloat in the aftermath of some pyrrhic victory over the "elites".

I know that you consider this "collapse" inevitable and fantasize about it's actualization, but you're naive if you don't think that there are groups of minds that far eclipse yours who are devoting countless hours of work into preventing it from happening.

I write this in vain because you're an ideologue - a self-professed one, and one who sees no shame in celebrating the death of an objectively great man because you think it brings your future one step closer to actualization. Or worse, just because you didn't agree with everything he believed or said.

How petty.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MalletFace said:

He was a U.S. Supreme Court Justice that made jokes in official case dissents, and was fairly creative with his language.

You should care if it for nothing but the fact that he called another justice's ideas "interpretive jiggery-pokery," called the majority opinion in one case "legalistic argle-bargle," used "Pure applesauce" as a full sentence, wrote 'Huh' or 'Hmm' in most dissents I can find, and talks to himself in his dissents.

The guy sounds like a real douchenozzle. But I don't have to care because I'm not American. 

Y'know what, I haven't done this in forever but know I'm genuinely curious now.

@Rassah Please give us your revolutionary new plan to tear down the entire US Government, and Make America Great Again™. Also explain how you will replace the US Dollar with bitcoin?

Also I'm aware you have me ignored, but it doesn't matter since you're totes into me and will inevitably read this while futilely attempting to resist my sultry charms.

Edited by PastryOfApathy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Y'know what, I haven't done this in forever but know I'm genuinely curious now.

@Rassah Please give us your revolutionary new plan to tear down the entire US Government, and Make America Great Again™. Also explain how you will replace the US Dollar with bitcoin?

Also I'm aware you have me ignored, but it doesn't matter since you're totes into me and will inevitably read this while futilely attempting to resist my sultry charms.

Rassah, if you do choose to respond with such, might I suggest it be done in another threat? One dedicated to its discussion.