Tim Hortons and Bitcoin Megathread

Pignog

Welcome to the new and improved Canada and Bitcoin thread Mk II. These two topics are very important and closely related. The stated objectives of this thread are to discuss the following:

• Toronto Meetups -- Several posters on the forum live in Toronto and sometimes we meet up for noodles and boardgames. We'd like to expand this to other activities too. If you live in the Greater Toronto Area (or you're planning a trip here), why not post here and join us?
  • Tim Hortons and other Canadiana -- Shitty coffee and cardboard pastries are a Canadian tradition. What is your favourite sugar garbage? Talking about Krispy Kreme or Robins Donuts is a bannable offence so watch it.
  • Canada's Emerging Bitcoin Economy -- The last thread got derailed by this topic so in good honest Canadian fashion we're going to accommodate it. Canada's economy is on the brink of collapse and it's all because our sexy new PM legalized weed or something. Some posters believe Bitcoin will save it; others do not.

God Save the Queen.

• Like 8

Two Canadians in my clan that I play Rainbow Six with were talking about Krispy Kreme last night, saying how hard it is to find in Canada and that it made them sad. Apparently the one knows of a place and the only reason he does is because they have a giant sign outside advertising that they have them.

Then I told them all the story of when I found a Krispy Kreme box at the store I worked at filled with little tiny bugs and now KK's stuff has been ruined for me. Any of those types of things really have been ruined because they're all pretty similar anyhow.

true timmy's facts #1:

muffins are just cupcakes with better branding

4 hours ago, Kinare said:

Two Canadians in my clan that I play Rainbow Six with were talking about Krispy Kreme last night, saying how hard it is to find in Canada and that it made them sad. Apparently the one knows of a place and the only reason he does is because they have a giant sign outside advertising that they have them.

Then I told them all the story of when I found a Krispy Kreme box at the store I worked at filled with little tiny bugs and now KK's stuff has been ruined for me. Any of those types of things really have been ruined because they're all pretty similar anyhow.

i have never seen a krispy kreme, but can feel my arteries hardening just by writing the name

Edited by kazooie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 6tails said:

Martin Shkreli Just Lost 15 MILLION in Bitcoin (NSFW Language)

Once again, if someone scams you out of your bitcoin, you can not get a refund nor have recourse. You are fucked.

Fools and their money.

I thought this was a joke, but then I realized it's Martin "That jackass who artificially inflated the price of lifesaving AIDs medication several thousand percent for giggles who was in the news semi-recently" Shkreli. For once I'll say this is less about the (many) faults of bitcoin, and more about Mr. Shkreli being a living, breathing parody of rich kids on Wall Street. Of course when I say "rich" I mean he's an honest-to-god con artist whose been investigated for his involvement in various ponzi schemes and overall dickery, I mean more so than usual on Wall Street.

Although he's probably bullshitting everyone since he's a massive attention whore. Like massive. Not to mention this isn't the first time he's pulled this shit on his twitter, like the time he pretended to bust his wrist by punching a wall because he hates Bernie Sanders that fuckin' much. The picture was naturally lifted from Google images.

Seriously can we make this thread about him? He's fucking hilarious, and is this closest thing we'll ever have to a real-life super villain.

Like just watch this shit, it's like something out of a comedy about the world's most loathsome human being. I love it.

Edited by PastryOfApathy
  • Like 2

Being on topic: 

Meet ups: We met for Yakitori, Takoyaki, Ramen, Sake, and Beer. In typical furry fashion we completely ruined (everything) the dining experience of the other patrons by talking about the most disgusting stores involving human waste in really loud voices.  Then due to overcrowding at Snakes and Lattes we went to a different game cafe which did not have a bitcoin machine. Apologies to Rassah. 

Also. If you go to Kinton Ramen. Try to find the "secret door." You have to try and find it without asking the staff. It is very hard to spot. You must roll a natural 20 on perception. 

Timmys: When the meet up graduates to certain number of attendees custom Boston Cream filled Timbits made by a professional pastry chef will appear as "achievement unlocked." We will post pics of those who can't om nom in person. If the meet up grows larger we can graduate to a bigger variety of group activities while reducing the individual cost per attendee. 

Krispy Kreme is still around but I don't like it. It leaves a film on the roof of your mouth. Gross. 

Bitoin: Shkreli is a pimp. Even if he did lose money on bitcoin he got Wu-Tang albums just like me, he got goons just like me, he got tha paper just like me, and the way I took yo cash playing Sherrif Of Nottingham is true pimp style. 

"I butter yo bread."

Oh yeah, next meet up is proposed for the first or second week of march. Also several of us will be attending Furnal Equinox and Toronto Comicon so if any out of town / country furs will be at either con it would be a good chance to meet up. 

Edited by #00Buck
  • Like 2

Hey - when's the next meetup? My name's Jamie, I live in Toronto, and sounds like you guys are jokers. I've been building retail Bitcoin software for restaurants and bars. Couple of buddies did a Meetup on Queen St in Toronto on Jan 31 and had two places taking Bitcoin for the Meetup. Did it in Montreal too in the fall with some bars/nightclubs.

Not looking to push the software, more so share, hangout, and joke around about Bitcoin. Let me know,

3 hours ago, kazooie said:

i have never seen a krispy kreme, but can feel my arteries hardening just by writing the name

Yeh, it's pretty insane. I rarely ate the stuff anyways, even before the bugs, just because of how insanely sweet it was w/ very little actual dough, just a bunch of icing.

2 hours ago, JamieRobinson said:

Hey - when's the next meetup? My name's Jamie, I live in Toronto, and sounds like you guys are jokers. I've been building retail Bitcoin software for restaurants and bars. Couple of buddies did a Meetup on Queen St in Toronto on Jan 31 and had two places taking Bitcoin for the Meetup. Did it in Montreal too in the fall with some bars/nightclubs.

Not looking to push the software, more so share, hangout, and joke around about Bitcoin. Let me know,

did rassah send you to infiltrate us

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JamieRobinson said:

Mos Def sent by Rassah. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 6tails said:

Hahahahaha! Epic troll! Can't believe how many people are falling for it :D There are also people claiming that he still has those bitcoins, but made up a story about losing them in case the Feds raid his banks for doing some other douchy thing.

If the next meetup is happening soon, does that mean we should start inviting @AshleyAshes already?

Sorry to hear about Snakes and Lattes. I tried calling and emailing them to buy you guys beers with bitcoin, but they were too busy and didn't reply.

Also, on the topic of Canadia, is it true that Funyuns are banned there?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rassah said:

Hahahahaha! Epic troll! Can't believe how many people are falling for it :D There are also people claiming that he still has those bitcoins, but made up a story about losing them in case the Feds raid his banks for doing some other douchy thing.

If the next meetup is happening soon, does that mean we should start inviting @AshleyAshes already?

Sorry to hear about Snakes and Lattes. I tried calling and emailing them to buy you guys beers with bitcoin, but they were too busy and didn't reply.

Also, on the topic of Canadia, is it true that Funyuns are banned there?

Ah, now I understand why you were trying to get in touch. Yeah, snakes and lattes is insane. However, the owners must be making a fortune so that's a good thing. Cheers! Thanks for thinking of us. We won't be extending invitations to anyone who has made it clear they are uninterested. 

I don't know if Funyuns are banned. I know we can have Kinder Surprise Eggs and those are not allowed to cross into the USA.

4 hours ago, JamieRobinson said:

I've heard that name before but found you guys on my Bitcoin google alerts.

The people who actually meet up make fun of bitcoin and don't actually use it. We drink and eat and play boardgames. Plus some of these people are into pretending they are animals. Last meet up light dinner conversation was about human waste. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pignog said:

should we play scrabble to commemorate the National Film Board?

The NFB made some cool stuff back in the day and the output just dropped off as years went by. 

They used to have their office downtown across from the city TV building. I don't know if it's still there. I have not seen anything they've made in a decade. 

9 minutes ago, Naesaki said:

Wait....wait....wait.... you don't get Kinder Surprise Eggs!? *pats on you the shoulder* you poor poor soul :(

Not only are the forbidden from entering the United States, CBP has been known to confiscate them at the boarder and then attempt to bill Canadians for the temporary storage and shipment of them back to Canada.  The Canadians are like 'IT'S WORTH LIKE A BUCK.  KEEP IT! D:'

Season 4 of Border Security Canada is actually filmed with CBP at the American boarder instead and since I can't enjoy seeing American's being arrested for gun smugging at the Canadian boarder anymore (WHAT DO YA MEAN I CAN'T HAVE A GUN IN MY GLOVE COMPARTMENT!?  WHAT IF TORONTONIANS ATTACK US!?' I'm hoping to see CBP holding Canadians at gunpoint, all 'PUT THE CANDY EGG NOW.  SO HELP ME GOD, I WILL FUCKING DROP YOU IF YOU DON'T PUT IT DOWN!'

Edited by AshleyAshes

The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in USA has a rule that bans non-edible items inside of food. It was added many years ago, likely to prevent small hidden items that might cause choking. But since USA is a fucktard that follows rules to the letter without caring about context, and sometimes even specifically ignoring context out of spite or to get more funding for its regulatory agencies, Kinder eggs ended up being banned, despite them not being any sort of a harmful threat.

I remember when I first found out about them in Italy in 1989, they were running a short promotion for Transformers. You could put together a Transformer robot that was about two to three times the size of the plastic container, and could actually transform. It was the coolest thing ever...

20 hours ago, #00Buck said:

The NFB made some cool stuff back in the day and the output just dropped off as years went by. 

They used to have their office downtown across from the city TV building. I don't know if it's still there. I have not seen anything they've made in a decade. 

I haven't seen anything since I was a kid. iirc they've had their budget slashed pretty hard.

6 hours ago, Rassah said:

I thought you were joking about calling up Snakes and Lattes, but it looks like you actually did. That's really cool of you to do, thank you!

• Like 3

Black flies, god damn BLACK FLIES. They were ALL over Labrador.  They'd leave literal bites that would bleed and scab over.  My mother would pin dryer sheets to our hats, cause she thought that warded them of.  Is that even really a thing?  I should Google that.  I'll take mosquitos over black flies ANY day of the week. D:

hang in there thread!! don't die on me!!

I found something from when I lived in Thunder Bay. This guy made a little tribute to the city right before he left for school in Toronto. Overnight it went kinda viral (at least in the region) and they played it throughout the day on the radio. Rewatching it gives me a bunch of warm feelings, I really miss that place.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rassah said:

I haven't been keeping up, cause now I'm in Mexico at .an anarchist conference. They're into Bitcoin too, obviously. But I had someone else tell me how I'm selfish, greedy, and hate the poors (and homeless!), and it gave me fond memories of you guys :P

How well organized was it?

• Like 2

AnarchoCapitalists. They're fine with voluntary hierarchy and separation of duties based on skills.

So far everything is going very well and is very well organized. The venue and scenery outside the conference center is incredible too!

PANO_20160219_120433.thumb.jpg.5c58bdeb7

The Bitcoin people are speaking Sunday though

1 hour ago, Rassah said:

AnarchoCapitalists. They're fine with voluntary hierarchy and separation of duties based on skills.

So far everything is going very well and is very well organized. The venue and scenery outside the conference center is incredible too!

PANO_20160219_120433.thumb.jpg.5c58bdeb7

The Bitcoin people are speaking Sunday though

Do you find it ironic that your anarchist conference is taking place in a venue and city that was made possible through a regulated system of trade, labor and government?

5 hours ago, willow said:

so my fraternity is currently looking at hotels in Toronto for a convention and there's a chance I might be in the area...next summer

Keep in touch.

We can take you out for dinner and games. 

Also don't try and bring you frat house roofies across the border. 

They are illegal in this country. So is "date rape."

The more you know...

3 hours ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

Do you find it ironic that your anarchist conference is taking place in a venue and city that was made possible through a regulated system of trade, labor and government?

Not really. Attempts were made, failures happened, lessons were learned, and pieces are being picked up.

On a related note, I paid $77 for a Big Mac meal here. In Pesos of course, but that's how they write all their prices in Mexico. All their menus look like food costs hundreds of dollars xD Talk about inflation though! Peso comes from pieces of eight, where a gold coin was cut into 8 pieces, and one of those 1/8th was a piece, or peso. A real gold peso would have been worth roughly $150 USD right now. Instead it's now worth $0.05 dollars. I'm glad to see Canadian dollars stabilize and hopefully starting to reverse course.

Edited by Rassah

1 hour ago, Rassah said:

Not really. Attempts were made, failures happened, lessons were learned, and pieces are being picked up.

On a related note, I paid $77 for a Big Mac meal here. In Pesos of course, but that's how they write all their prices in Mexico. All their menus look like food costs hundreds of dollars xD Talk about inflation though! Peso comes from pieces of eight, where a gold coin was cut into 8 pieces, and one of those 1/8th was a piece, or peso. A real gold peso would have been worth roughly $150 USD right now. Instead it's now worth $0.05 dollars. I'm glad to see Canadian dollars stabilize and hopefully starting to reverse course.

I've read that there are preliminary steps being taken to create a North American Union. If it succeeds, their combined currency could be something like the Loodso ;)

Edited by WileyWarWeasel
Spelling