Rant: Illegible Handwriting

Vallium

I have a new/reawakened pet peeve after an intimate several moments with a variety of human beings who I only know by a singular strip of paper and what constitutes as the creation of language based on visual scrawlings on said paper.

...and wouldnt you know it? These people have defeated the entire purpose of visual communication by rendering shapes that are completely USELESS AND COMMUNICATE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

I am so amazed at how some people screw up that bad. How do you live your life knowing you failed a basic human quality taught in the kinderest of gartens?

I'm looking at YOU John 'Marlap' if that is even your real name that you cant even spell, how the hell is it that I read the word "Oaks" as "Sales"...HOWWWW??? DUDE YOU COULDNT TAKE A SINGULAR SECOND TO CONNECT YOUR DAMN LETTERS SO YOUR "s" forms an "o" and your "l" and "e" form an actual "k"

And YOU, Rick, how the hell does that giant '0' be conceived as a '4'...it's literally a giant ovular shape there is absolutely no other number it could be read as besides a 0 but you try to pass that shit off as a 4, were you freaking drunk, man?

Also frick people who think they're being fancy fucks with their fancy ass motherfucking cursive like there's a reason that shit is dead if you cant do that right it's as illegible as hell,

Also dear Linda, I don't GAF that you are an aries why the frick are you putting the aries symbol in the portion where a number should reside in your date of birth, Get that horoscope shit out of here

It's inconceivable how absolutely horrible these handwritings are. If you have horrible handwriting and you make me read it...I will kill you. Don't do it.

This is on par with grammar in how unbelievably obnoxious it is to read things.

Now if you excuse me I shall return to the business I am conducting. *fixes tie*

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Clove Darkwave said:

It's much more unforgivable to have abominable typing if you ask me. No one actually taught me how to write, I did that myself with a textbook so my handwriting is complete garbage. Although it's still better than doctor handwriting.

Touche. If someone is going to screw up typing words so bad...thats the epitome of lazy considering the keys do all the work for you and all you have to know is what combination of buttons to hit to make words look right

Also how does one not teach you towrite? Did you have bad schooling or simply not attend?

8 hours ago, 6tails said:

Cursive is shit...More efficient, less strain on the wrist, less strain on the writing implement. A simple change of tip or angle can create dozens of stylistic variations, I don't see how doctors manage to fail at it so badly.

Ftfy

I'll agree that those are pros though, and executed neatly could be legible.

However, most people speed through writing and with these super similar looking shapes its impossible to read at times (heck, even neatly)Observe

Oftentimes you just have to rely on context to get the meaning which is what I had to do to deduce some of those infantile scribblings

Well anyways, not to rain on the cursive parade. Good penmenship is a nice quality and is often a pleasure to read in comparison, so hey if it works.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

4 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Touche. If someone is going to screw up typing words so bad...thats the epitome of lazy considering the keys do all the work for you and all you have to know is what combination of buttons to hit to make words look right

Also how does one not teach you towrite? Did you have bad schooling or simply not attend?

Not to mention hitting Send beforehand.

I dunno memories are vague these days. I recall being frustrated that I couldn't be shown how to do it and just imitating it until I learned it.

I feel your pain WolfNight.... I deal with horrible hand writing all the time when trying to transcribe doctor's orders- ughhhh. And they have the gall to get all pissy when you have to call them up for clarification because all they wrote was a mass of loopy squiggles and a circle. Penmenship skills should be a requirement for the medical field. Its like they're just asking for med variances.

As for cursive.. I'm guilty of writing almost entirely in cursive in my every day life except for when I'm at work. Since when I'm documenting I gotta be sure -everyone- can read it. But cursive is a much faster, smoother way of writing than print. Print strains my wrist when I do it for too long.

Edited by GarthTheWereWolf

I love that no one can read my handwriting, I just talk all logic to my professors so they think I'm smart, then on my assignments and tests I just scribble all my answers and they usually just give me the points after they read what they think I would say... it's a win ^-^

Christ, I haven't written in cursive since I was in highschool, ever since then, everything has been in written in large legible capital letters in a short abbreviated format with dot points and acronyms so it can actually be read by others.

My cursive was bad because after having written a paragraphs worth, my sentences would eventually taper as my writing became smaller and smaller out of habit to the point that I think only I knew what was written down on the page with those minuscule squiggles, goodness knows how teachers managed to mark my papers.

When people are rushed I can understand a deterioration in handwriting; my own becomes pretty bad in exams. 

Personally I write in a sort of Gothic script.

That sounds neat, you're going to have to show us your handwriting now. @Saxon

Edited by Khaki

It's amazing when you look at archived censuses, back when people went house by house and fill the paperwork by hand. You look at hundreds of pages from different areas, thus definitely filled by different people, in some cases it's impossible to see any difference.

And I still write like a 7 years old. Seriously, I look at the stuff I wrote in non-cursive when I was 7 and it hasn't changed a single bit...

My handwriting's not exactly the BEST but...
Generally, I kinda write in this weird print-cursive mix where I write in print and then suddenly switch to cursive for letters that can be more easily connected.

And also it's slanted italics style.

It's not normally like that if I want people to read it, but if I'm note-taking, it generally ends up looking that way.

Also, I'm gonna tack on the advice to people wanting to work on their own handwriting, to draw comics.
Or, more specifically, to hand-write the wording in your comics.

xvvvvvcff.png.3fcee0df94e6c35de6f39b225a

It goes quite a ways in making you
   1. wary of how legible your writing actually is
   2. forcing you to interpret written language more visually, to express a specific idea, rather than just through direct translation of the word.

Being conscious of typeface amounts to the same basic thing, but I feel there's a lot more freedom in doing it yourself, rather than hunting down a very specific font for 34878723 hours.

• Like 2

Occasionally I run into people with atrocious handwriting. It seems like those in the medical field have some of the worst handwriting, despite how important it is that what they write is understandable. I've always been told that I have very good handwriting, but I do write very small. When I'm writing something I think my clients will be reading I have to remind myself to write bigger so they can read it, but the bigger I write the worse it seems to look. ><

I do think a lot of people just rush it and because they know what they wrote it doesn't look as bad to them as someone who doesn't know what they wrote. When I find myself rushing I definitely do see the quality of my writing go down, but I try to be aware of that because I feel like writing well is very important in my field.

1 hour ago, Kinare said:

Occasionally I run into people with atrocious handwriting. It seems like those in the medical field have some of the worst handwriting, despite how important it is that what they write is understandable.

I think this starts in med school. Have you seen the amount of content that's in our lectures? You HAVE to scrawl out your writing if you want to get through it all in time!

And then there's being half asleep. I've written things by now that are COMPLETELY unrecognisable as words because I've been too tired to write it out properly.

The only shit I write by hand is shit that only I need to read anyway. it's like having my own cipher that is completely uncrackable by mortal man.

if I'm going to produce written material for the hoi polloi I'm going to just use a computer and type anyway because this is 2016 and I'm not a barbarian. :^)

• Like 3

The handwriting of one of my old teachers was so bad, when he left notes for the other teachers they all had to get together to "solve" what his note says.
Also, when he graded our tests and exams we had no idea what we did wrong because the notes he left next to what we had written were illegible chicken scratch as well.