Kalamazoo shootings

Crazy Lee

There was yet another mass shooting, this time in Kalamazoo. An Uber driver shot up some people, drove around, shot some more people.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/21/us/michigan-kalamazoo-county-shooting-spree/index.html
http://gizmodo.com/uber-passenger-unknowingly-joked-with-alleged-kalamazoo-1760478315

In the Kalamazoo area is where @MissFleece and @evan lives as well as Fay V I think. Fleece was bowling across state when it happened so I know she's okay, I think Evan is okay too... doubt Fay V was involved in this either. 

Watch this thread devolve into a gun rights argument as usual. But before you do, think about this. In Canada you can own guns too, but no one's mass murdering each other. So what the fuck is wrong with our country that makes this happen every once in a while? Why are we so angry about everything? Look at this shooter, white and in his 40s. Probably some angry Trump supporter, pissed at the brown people. Or maybe a perpetual virgin. Why are people so angry? Why is our society so fucked up?

Also, good going there libertarian cab company. You vet your drivers so well. Free murrket!

Edited by Crazy Lee

12 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

There was yet another mass shooting, this time in Kalamazoo. An Uber driver shot up some people, drove around, shot some more people.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/21/us/michigan-kalamazoo-county-shooting-spree/index.html
http://gizmodo.com/uber-passenger-unknowingly-joked-with-alleged-kalamazoo-1760478315

In the Kalamazoo area is where @MissFleece and @evan lives as well as Fay V I think. Fleece was bowling across state when it happened so I know she's okay, I think Evan is okay too... doubt Fay V was involved in this either. 

Watch this thread devolve into a gun rights argument as usual. But before you do, think about this. In Canada you can own guns too, but no one's mass murdering each other. So what the fuck is wrong with our country that makes this happen every once in a while? Why are we so angry about everything? Look at this shooter, white and in his 40s. Probably some angry Trump supporter, pissed at the brown people. Or maybe a perpetual virgin. Why are people so angry? Why is our society so fucked up?

Also, good going there libertarian cab company. You vet your drivers so well. Free murrket!

I don't think Canada has a gun culture like America either. Some Americans are so obsessed with guns and constantly go around complaining that the government is gonna take them away or some shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PheagleAdler said:

I don't think Canada has a gun culture like America either. Some Americans are so obsessed with guns and constantly go around complaining that the government is gonna take them away or some shit.

MUH GUNS
MUH RIGHTS
MUH FREEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMM

2 hours ago, PheagleAdler said:

Yeah it does. If you take third world hell holes out of the equation we're in the top 10 on the planet for per capita gun ownership. 

1 hour ago, #00Buck said:

Yeah it does. If you take third world hell holes out of the equation we're in the top 10 on the planet for per capita gun ownership. 

If you trust the wikipedia table on that matter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Guns per 100 residents...

USA: 112.6

Switzerland: 45.7 Which is including militia weapons, which are stored without amunition

Sweden: 31.6

Canada:  30.8

Germany30.3

So in Terms of ownership numbers, Canada is MUCH closer to Sweden and Germany than USA. (Besides, even with high ownership numbers you can have a responsibility culture about guns)

Just now, Jerry said:

I do know that people who are required to carry a handgun because of their occupation are granted special authorizations. But to my knowledge, those and people in life-threatening situations are the only exceptions.

You're totally wrong. Anyone with a license can own a handgun. 

This has been all over local news, since it is local news. Its already been stated that this guy had no criminal history or any mental health history. What I found was intersting is this guy didn't just walk up and start shooting his 9mm handgun. He initiated conversations with everyone he shot. Meaning that there was a window before he pulled his gun. Now I am not saying this could have been prevented but, had another individual been lawfully carrying, they would have at least had a chance to have ended the shooting. Now that would have all been a moot point had this guy just been walking up to people firing away.

Its situations like this, especially being so close to home that make me glad I have a cpl. Because at least I have the option to defend myself.

Edited by Rukh Whitefang
Grammer
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wrecker said:

So Kalamazoo is actually a real place, then... Huh.

It and Albuquerque always sound like Bugs Bunny words. xD

OT: This is a complex problem with many different factors going into it. It's not just one single thing that causes it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gamedog said:

"Look at this shooter, white and in his 40s. Probably some angry Trump supporter, pissed at the brown people. Or maybe a perpetual virgin"

I can't take you seriously

Awww are you a Trump fan? You mad?

8 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Hey, at least Ohio has an actual industry.

Yea, and is boring and flat. I have driven through Ohio, give me Kansas any time instead. Nothing but farm fields all over the fucking place. You can keep your state.

4 hours ago, willow said:

let's try to keep the gun debate to a minimum here. or at least keep it civil

I'm sure you know the answer

I do? Please enlighten me.

4 hours ago, Toboe said:

If you trust the wikipedia table on that matter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Guns per 100 residents...

USA: 112.6

Switzerland: 45.7 Which is including militia weapons, which are stored without amunition

Geez, why the hell is our country WAY higher than any other civilized country? We're leagues ahead of anyone else.

Number 1 at gun ownership... WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

20 minutes ago, Rukh Whitefang said:

Now I am not saying this could have been prevented but, had another individual been lawfully carrying, they would have at least had a chance to have ended the shooting. Now that would have all been a moot point had this guy just been walking up to people firing away.

Its situations like this, especially being so close to home that make me glad I have a cpl. Because at least I have the option to defend myself.

I know you're not saying this specifically, but I hate it when people will say after these things "Well, if everyone had a handgun this would never happen."

This ignores the fact that in the USA, pretty much almost anyone CAN own a handgun... and some can concealed or open carry, depending on state and local laws. Nothing is preventing everyone from owning a gun...the thing is a lot of people don't WANT to own a gun. And you can't exactly force them to own one either. Plus, it may not be a good idea for lots of people with little training to own guns they don't know how to use properly, it may end up making it worse.

As for you defending yourself, only if he had shot another person first, or missed you. There's always that possibility that he would shoot you first and get a good shot in, and disable/kill you pretty quickly.

Edit: You said local. Are you a Kzoo resident? That would be now 4 people from here from Kzoo, and I know some furs who live in Battle Creek.... 

Edited by Crazy Lee

10 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

I know you're not saying this specifically, but I hate it when people will say after these things "Well, if everyone had a handgun this would never happen."

This ignores the fact that in the USA, pretty much almost anyone CAN own a handgun... and some can concealed or open carry, depending on state and local laws. Nothing is preventing everyone from owning a gun...the thing is a lot of people don't WANT to own a gun. And you can't exactly force them to own one either. Plus, it may not be a good idea for lots of people with little training to own guns they don't know how to use properly, it may end up making it worse.

As for you defending yourself, only if he had shot another person first, or missed you. There's always that possibility that he would shoot you first and get a good shot in, and disable/kill you pretty quickly.

No I am not saying every shooting could be prevented if everyone carried. I am saying that some are prevented and perhaps because this individual initiated conversations before pulling out a concealed handgun another person who was carrying could have reacted to stop it. Its basically a what if statement. I do know though that if I saw someone reaching to where a gun might be concealed my hand would have been reaching for my weapon. Thats not saying I could react fast enough however. But myself and some of my friends are not average gun owners so...

And yes in a situation such as this perhaps someone else having a gun wouldn't have been able to stop the individual. Personally I like having the option to at least to try and defend myself than not have that option at all.

The guy at court today didn't even show a shred of emotion whatsoever. Very cold demeanor. He also under his Miranda Rights admitted to the shootings. So it should move quickly through the judicial system.

Edited by Rukh Whitefang

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

It's also kinda the opposite of liberty if you cannot leave your house and return home alive without having to have a gun on your person all the time. It's pretty much giving in to shooters and murderers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

I do? Please enlighten me.

no one wants to admit there's a gun problem in this country so things like this are just gonna keep on happening. I'm also gonna say untreated mental illness has a role here too only because the reports I've seen state the guy was driving recklessly while he was taking rides. as generic as it sounds

• Like 2