Patriotism: Helping you get off

Teto

I'm Scottish. I'm seeing this on Facebook.

a1I1uQD.png

What is this garbage? Can someone go into detail as to why a kid standing on a flag is bad?

And better yet, what is up with flag underwear? Okay this is a whole other thing, and I'm not gay or anything, but are people getting off on rubbing their junk against their flag? You get it in Scotland too. Get the flag in underwear form, so you can be secure in the knowledge that your junk is resting in the comfort of your national flag. Like a protective embrace, cupping your balls. I repeat, I'm not gay. I just want to know what people are getting off on. I want to know how people feel about their balls, as they're all wrapped up in the country's flag. Nothing sexual, just you know, it's weird, right? Tell me about your balls. How do you feel about your balls. I'm not gay.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Teto said:

What is this garbage? Can someone go into detail as to why a kid standing on a flag is bad?

It's disrespectful.

I get that being proud of your country is a foreign thing to Europoors these days, so it might be hard for you to grasp.

• Like 4

Just now, Zerig said:

It's disrespectful.

I get that being proud of your country is a foreign thing to Europoors these days, so it might be hard for you to grasp.

Okay sure that's all well and good, but we also wear flag underwear in Scotland as well. We love our flag and rub it against our junk in sly ways by putting it on underwear. We're on the same page. We don't have a cult-like reverence for our flag, but we get off on it too, just like you. Tell me about that instead.

50 minutes ago, Teto said:

I'm Scottish. I'm seeing this on Facebook.

And better yet, what is up with flag underwear? Okay this is a whole other thing, and I'm not gay or anything, but are people getting off on rubbing their junk against their flag? You get it in Scotland too. Get the flag in underwear form, so you can be secure in the knowledge that your junk is resting in the comfort of your national flag. Like a protective embrace, cupping your balls. I repeat, I'm not gay. I just want to know what people are getting off on. I want to know how people feel about their balls, as they're all wrapped up in the country's flag. Nothing sexual, just you know, it's weird, right? Tell me about your balls. How do you feel about your balls. I'm not gay.

It is disrespectful. Everyone knows this. Except you. 

You're special. 

I don't get the obsession over a stupid piece of cloth either. If I burn it, let it drop on the ground, cut it up, or otherwise desecrate it, does that somehow make all of our freedoms meaningless? Of course not. And if I owned it, I can do whatever the hell I want with it.

I personally don't care about a piece of cloth, but I do understand that in alot of ways it holds meaning to people - especially people in the military.

So in that way, it can be seen as disrespectful of those who served under that flag intentionally or not.

I mean, even if a symbol doesn't mean anything to you, because they do not for me, it's more a matter of not being intentionally abrasive so as to not create conflict and upset those that do hold a meaning for them.

Edited by Johanna Waya
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PheagleAdler said:

I don't get the obsession over a stupid piece of cloth either. If I burn it, let it drop on the ground, cut it up, or otherwise desecrate it, does that somehow make all of our freedoms meaningless? Of course not. And if I owned it, I can do whatever the hell I want with it.

I get being proud to be an American, and a lot of us would fit the bill. I am proud to be an American, but not that proud to get pissed off about someone stepping on a flag.

However, people put too much stock in placing an Ideal into an object that will be irrelevant as soon as you are dead to the world. 

I'm not too terribly patriotic these days but it still annoys me when people do stuff like this to be edgy.

also American flag apparel is usually really tacky and ugly, but I assume the difference between that and desecrating a flag is that one's usually done out of spite. the other is done because people have no fashion sense :u

I'm not really sure how patriotic I am to be honest. I'm not proudly patriotic in the sense that I think I'm a better person because I'm from Scotland, or in the "this is the greatest country on the goddam Earth, don't touch my fucking flag" sort of thing, but I do like Scotland a lot and I like living here. I did vote "yes" in the independence referendum so I guess that could be viewed as quite a nationalistic/patriotic decision, although it was really much more to do with being undecided up until the very last minute.

Then again the way I'd call myself Scottish if someone asked me where I'm from, instead of British, is probably a pretty clear indication of subconscious patriotism.

George Carlin sums up my feelings on national pride pretty nicely.

There's nothing special about being born in country x or as race y. Pride should be reserved for something that you've accomplished. Nobody asked to be born where they were born, and it's not like we owe our countries anything. We pay government officials and leaders, we pay taxes for all the benefits we reap, and there's plenty of other places that provide basic human rights to their people. People who boast about their country are uninteresting and only do so because they've got nothing else to wave their dicks about.

• Like 6

It's disrespectful to stand on a flag, but not on the ground? You know, the ACTUAL PHYSICAL PART OF THE COUNTRY?

It's a piece of colored cotton from China made for ten cents. It's about as patriotic as ear wax.

You know what's more disrespectful than standing on a flag? Indoctrinating children into becoming mindless drones that only do what they're told. Which, also, incidentally, is going on in schools across this great country of ours. 

Edited by AlexInsane
  • Like 2

It bothers me when people get all up in arms about someone burning a flag or stepping on it and then go on about WE ARE THE LAND OF THE FREE

Yeah. Free to step on and or burn a flag.

The fact that people are trying to ruin some teen's life over a dumb picture is really stupid. Teenagers grow out of being edy--normally--but a social media witch hunt could follow that guy for awhile.

I mean, until the next dumb thing hits Twitter I guess. It'll still be stressful, especially since the guy has the freedom TO step on that flag. He's not breaking any laws.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I wouldn't care if he was shoving a rainbow flag up his butt. 

People are too easily triggered into cry-baby mode by arbitrary symbols, IMO, Case in point, people genuinely feeling oppressed by antique memorabilia with confederate flags on, to the point that websites removed all such items from their stock. 

If someone desecrates a symbol, or owns a symbol you don't like, it's their property. Do a poo on an English flag...have you shat on me? No; you've shat on something you paid for, enjoy cleaning it up. 

Can you prove that kid bought and paid for that flag?

If not he's trashing someone else's property. 

Just now, Saxon said:

If it's a mouse, yes that would irreversibly trash it, if it's a piece of cloth, not so much. 

I do understand your dissatisfaction over a fraction of a cent's worth of potential fraying damage, though. 

Let me know where you live.

I'll come over and put all your cloth stuff on the floor and walk all over it. 

35 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

"It's just a piece of cloth."

If he was standing on a rainbow flag you would all say it was a hate crime. 

I wouldn't say hate crime but it would probably bother more people. but to be fair, if they were standing on a rainbow flag with those expressions, I'd be pleasantly surprised if the caption wasn't "FUCK U FAGS" or something like that. at least with the American flag you can argue they're doing it out of some protest because let's be honest, America's a pretty shit country

If one's love of country, race, religion, status, or anything is so strong that the mere disrespect of a symbol can send them into a destructive rage, then I believe that person deserves to be left behind with time.

Criticism, protest, and defiance are essential to progress and opposing these often make you look like an idiot in years to come. Good on anybody that 'disrespects' the American flag with purpose; you're driving those future old farts mad and possibly making progress.

If you 'disrespect' just because you can, though, you're just looking for conflict. Have fun with what you reap.

• Like 2

If one's patriotism is rooted in things like freedom... even if it's just wishful thinking or something to aspire towards... then patriotism can be a good thing. If other countries also want to be patriotic that's fine with me. Some places are objectively and subjectively better places to live, and I don't think it's wrong to be thankful (whether to God, the Universe, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster) for having it good.

If, however, it's just another way of saying we're great and everyone else is inherently bad, not based in any sort of reality, then patriotism can be a bad thing. People are people wherever you go. Sure, leave symbols to the symbol minded, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. To be able to criticize and work improve one's own government in civil ways is a pretty awesome thing.

Standing on the flag? It took me a while to even notice that's what the guy was doing, but I do think it's in poor taste.

7 hours ago, Zerig said:

It's disrespectful.

To use Xaende's wording: "it's in poor taste"

But would you really get pissed of about it?

Being a loud patriot can be like being a loud annoying sports fan. Rivalries happen between sports fans because they like their favourite team better. 

It's also like a child telling another child that their own toy is better. It's an ingrained mindset.

If someone waves a flag around, they're showing support for their nation. In certain contexts it can seem pretentious, even if that wasn't the intention.

Someone might openly say their country is the best country in the world and believe it. Naturally, it pisses off people who don't want to hear it.

6 hours ago, PheagleAdler said:

But you're a BALD EAGLE!
You're supposed to be the pinacle defender of 'murican freeduummmmm

2 hours ago, #00Buck said:

"It's just a piece of cloth."

If he was standing on a rainbow flag you would all say it was a hate crime. 

I'd rather spin rainbow flags.

It's interesting that there's a number of things that's illegal to do with an American flag, or at least will make your neighbors hate you. It almost seems as if it's a better idea to just not buy one at all. Especially if it's made in China.

2 hours ago, willow said:

America's a pretty shit country

Remember that America also allows people like you and I to not be beaten to death legally.

1 hour ago, Clove Darkwave said:

Remember that America also allows people like you and I to not be beaten to death legally.

Although it does have some problems with people getting legally shot to death (or strangled) to be fair. (Cops and BLM stuff, etc.) 

Yeah, sure, it's disrespectful. Getting worked up over some kid trying to be edgy is a waste of time and energy, though. This doesn't affect your life (or anyone else's for that matter) in the slightest, so it's best to just let it go.

• Like 1

it's against flag etiquette. besides a flag laying on the floor dishonours it. 

as someone that collects national flags, I have looked up the rules to not insult anyone.
If a flag touches the floor it is dishonoured and should be burned descreetly. A national flag is a symbol of a country but also of everything a country stands for and it's history. dishonouring a flag by standing on it is also dishonouring peoples country and possible source of pride. it's simply in bad taste.

(ps: I have flags on all kinds of things and they don't turn me on, I just like flags.)

4 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

You nerds should learn some consistency.

"Some cultural trespasses are silly and irrational and it doesn't matter if they're violated just because it offends you"

[gets bent out of shape about mean words on the internet]

I beg to differ. Offending others should be avoided in all possible ways. it's simply not crickets.

Edited by Caledonian

4 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Obviously we shouldn't endeavor to avoid offending people at every possibility because that would be coddling and it would compromise free speech.

Some people deserve to be offended and we often learn things when we are offended ourselves. 

let me rephrase myself: offending people on purpose makes you an inconsiderate arsehole. it is in no means nessecairy to offend people in ways like standing on a flag.

7 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

I am disappointed by your hypocritical irreverence for my feelings.

I am sorry. i suggest you block me for further discussion seems in vain.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

I am sorry. i suggest you block me for further discussion seems in vain.

Suggesting actions to me is also offensive as I highly value self-determination.

I am also offended by blocking as it reduces the number of posts I would be able to see, and posting is dear to me.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Two completely different topics. 

Seriously, your country's veneration of national symbols is the same level of crazy as Islamic countries' veneration of the Koran. 

In Canada we're pretty laid back.

We're also very respectful towards everyone. 

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.