Patriotism: Helping you get off

Teto

5 hours ago, PheagleAdler said:

Oh really? Why is that? if I destroy my stereo I'm not disrespecting anyone, if I stomp on a pair of my pants I'm not disrespecting anyone. But if I do one goddamn thing to an American flag that I own, I'm disrespecting the entire country?

Youve completely the missed the point

17 hours ago, Rassah said:

Good reply. The cigarette one is a bit iffy, since people choose to smoke themselves instead of that being forced on them by law or with guns/swords, but I was actually waiting for someone to bring up East India. Fuck those guys.

But still less than 250 million killed by commies in just 1900's, and we can actually name the names: Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Castro... The only name I can remember from East India was "Dutch" :P

And the Chinese, Indians, and Malaysians chose to buy from the company without it being forced on them by law or arms. The company mainly used genius schemes and illegal dealings to force their hand. Ain't nothing to make the Chinese sell tea like ruining their economy with opium, after all; though, only as long as you have refused to sell any Indian goods but Opium without a hefty fee.

Also, the Dutch East India Company was not quite as brutal as the British East India Company. It participated in the slave trade, in piracy, and in immoral dealings, but nowhere near the scale of the British. The British EIC would not allow that to happen, and the two companies went to 'war' over it at least once.

We actually have the names of the EIC guys, too;

• Richard Smith,
  • Robert Barker,
  • Hector Munro, and
  • Robert Clive

all contributed to tens of millions being killed by the company. That is without noting the man that founded the company, the man that organized its slave dealings, the man that founded its military and navy, and so many other men.

One can have loyalty to more than just a nation, and that loyalty can cause one to do crazy things; though, people tend to represent that loyalty of things with nation, and the form of governance seems to reveal to what that loyalty is. Throughout most of history, that loyalty tended to focus on homeland and religion, but we've started to move away from that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PheagleAdler said:

Oh really? Why is that? if I destroy my stereo I'm not disrespecting anyone, if I stomp on a pair of my pants I'm not disrespecting anyone. But if I do one goddamn thing to an American flag that I own, I'm disrespecting the entire country?

Because people feel strongly for it as a symbol. They will feel like you aren't just acting on the object, but also on everything it symbolizes to them.

Edited by Toboe

1 minute ago, Toboe said:

Because people feel strongly for it as a symbol. They will feel like you aren't just acting on the object, but also on everything it symbolizes to them.

Then it's their problem for being so pathetically attached to a SYMBOL.

You could wipe your ass with an American flag and the country and the buildings and the politicians and everyone would not be affected one tiny little bit. The country wouldn't suddenly sink into the sea or burst into flames. 

A flag is just a thing. It might be different from a lot of other flags, but that's all it is - just a thing. There's no basic difference between an American flag and a handkerchief, really, embroidery aside. 

1 minute ago, AlexInsane said:

You could wipe your ass with an American flag and the country and the buildings and the politicians and everyone would not be affected one tiny little bit. The country wouldn't suddenly sink into the sea or burst into flames. 

A flag is just a thing. It might be different from a lot of other flags, but that's all it is - just a thing. There's no basic difference between an American flag and a handkerchief, really, embroidery aside. 

Yeah, not supporting that opinion, just explaining it.

2 hours ago, AlexInsane said:

You could wipe your ass with an American flag and the country and the buildings and the politicians and everyone would not be affected one tiny little bit. 

Personally I would not be offended if anyone wiped their ass with a politician, or a building, especially if it was a government building.

1 hour ago, Rassah said:

Personally I would not be offended if anyone wiped their ass with a politician, or a building, especially if it was a government building.

You can't wipe your ass with a politician - you don't re-use shitty toilet paper, do you? 

As for buildings, well...you could try wiping your ass with Lego models and see where that gets you. Probably a bleeding anus. 

• Like 2

I know standing on a flag is disrespectful, I like my flag too. It's the attitude more than the act which makes the opening image so obnoxiously disrespectful. But I just wanted to talk about underwear, and you guys are all off topic. Or maybe I am.

Good discussion though. Love you.

Edited by Teto

Just now, Saxon said:

Honestly though, I don't know why, but underpants with an american flag across the cheeks are really hawt. 

Now we're getting back on-topic! At last! I wanted us to collectively explore the eroticism associated with national pride. It's right there in the title. 

On 2/25/2016 at 6:27 PM, Gamedog said:

Youve completely the missed the point

No, I really didn't. But here's my point, in a nutshell:

On 2/26/2016 at 9:52 PM, AlexInsane said:

EXACTLY. So let's concentrate on things that are ACTUALLY threatening our freedoms instead of this bullshit.

19 minutes ago, PheagleAdler said:

No, I really didn't. But here's my point, in a nutshell:

EXACTLY. So let's concentrate on things that are ACTUALLY threatening our freedoms instead of this bullshit.

I feel like some people actually think it IS threatening their freedums

17 hours ago, Gamedog said:

How do you still not understand?

tumblr_inline_nrgd7590OB1qmqn62_540.jpg

Come here and give me all your flags, let me step on them, drop them on the ground, and burn them for you. You'll buy more after I'm finished destroying them and life will go on.

Stop beating a dead horse.

17 minutes ago, Gamedog said:

The point is that: Certain items hold important value and symbolization.
Saying "it's just a flag" doesn't change a damn thing.

I see

I was gonna make some sort of comparison, but then I realised it didn't work out because national treasures are actually of value, symbolic and otherwise, whist a flag, while it may have symbolism, is easily replaced. But that doesn't make the symbolism go down.

1 minute ago, Teto said:

okay sure but should/do you wear flag underwear, was the original point of this thread

I'm sure I could find confederate flag undies here.

I'm German. I hate this country. Everyone's always saying "omg it could be so much worse!"

Seriously, there is so much going wrong here, starting with this Gays are not allowed for donating blood bullshit.

I can understand if you're like.. Proud British, but I want to get out of here

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Joshi said:

ISeriously, there is so much going wrong here, starting with this Gays are not allowed for donating blood bullshit.

That's a US thing too.

Well, now gay men have to wait a year after their last sexual encounter, I believe, to donate blood.

17 minutes ago, Hux said:

I bet most people here would feel differently if he wiped his ass with a Qur'an and a bunch of Muslims were outraged.

I mean, the type of people you generally see get upset would probably congratulate that person for this.

Double standards and all in play.

53 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

That's a US thing too.

Well, now gay men have to wait a year after their last sexual encounter, I believe, to donate blood.

Unpopular opinion time, I think that's totally reasonable. I wouldn't want a group with a disportionately large amount of aids sufferers donating blood either.

Besides, donating blood sucks. It's ridiculously uncomfortable and all you get for your efforts is a sticker and the Red Cross "thanking you" by constantly harassing you with constant phone calls, begging for more blood even after you repeatedly said no. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Unpopular opinion time, I think that's totally reasonable. I wouldn't want a group with a disportionately large amount of aids sufferers donating blood either.

Besides, donating blood sucks. It's ridiculously uncomfortable and all you get for your efforts is a sticker and the Red Cross "thanking you" by constantly harassing you with constant phone calls, begging for more blood even after you repeatedly said no. 

I love you.

Be glad you can be proud of your country, I'm not as lucky. To clarify, it's my country's modern and contemporary history that really suck. Betraying our allies in both World Wars? Disgusting. Plus, we're run by embarassingly inept and/or corrupt shitheads. People like that are all over the world but Italy's flooded with them. If only there were a proper organization I'd be delighted but we ain't gonna get that here anytime soon

Like any other country in the world the USA ain't perfect, far from it, but as it is now it still remains one of the greatest superpowers on Earth. I used to accuse it for its hawkish foreign policy, but let's be honest here, they're not the only ones who would ever do what they do if given the chance. In different measures, every nation has blood on their hands so I'm in no position to judge as my country too is responsible for heinous crimes

25 minutes ago, Amiir said:

the USA ain't perfect, far from it, but as it is now it still remains one of the greatest superpowers on Earth. I used to accuse it for its hawkish foreign policy,

if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down, that's the only foreign policy you need

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

This is a very good idea, actually, because gay people are orders of magnitude more likely to carry certain blood diseases. 

Refusing gay blood donations isn't pejorative; it is good sense. People who have been recently tattooed, or spend a long time in Subsaharan Africa or the Indian subcontinent are also turned away from blood donations, because they also have much larger risks of carrying blood born diseases. 

Doctors are not simply turning away gay donors in order to be mean to them. 

It's not just that. There are so many small things I just can't stand :/

8 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

There are other minority groups with extremely high rate of AIDS and yet it's only the gays who are limited..

41 minutes ago, Gamedog said:

There are other minority groups with extremely high rate of AIDS and yet it's only the gays who are limited..

You can usually filter out the vast majority of HIV-positive minorities by just making sure you don't hold blood-drives in ghetto shit holes. Gay people tend to all over the place and can't be filtered out like that.

11 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

You can usually filter out the vast majority of HIV-positive minorities by just making sure you don't hold blood-drives in ghetto shit holes. Gay people tend to all over the place and can't be filtered out like that.

No blood drives in California

For one, eww Red Cross.

I know blood institues such as the Oklahoma Blood Institue really wouldn't care if there were not federal regulations in place, as the gay male population is not signifigantly more likely to carry blood disease if I'm not mistaken.

The screening should primarily screen out those who practice unprotected sex and have multiple partners (for statistical reasons), but fails to do so.

FYI common reasons for being banned are spending time in other countries such as England or Germany when they had mad cow scares.

Edited by Johanna Waya

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

No it's not. People who have spent time in sub-saharan Africa or india are banned. So are people who have slept with prostitutes.

People who have had recent tattoos are banned too. 

There are a lot of people banned from giving blood, but overall they come to just 4% of the population. 

>4%

I'm referring to 12% of US population that counts for 41% of the HIV infections.

Clearly, gays are the priority.

not sure if the rules are different in the UK but for us you just can't give blood for several months if you've recently gotten a tattoo or came back from a high risk area 

and if I'm not mistaken, they lifted the ban on gay men not too long ago. I think the only stipulation is you can't donate if you've had sex within X amount of months 

• Like 2