Furries and aspergers

axelthefox

On 2/23/2016 at 9:21 PM, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Again.

Stop defining yourself by your disorders and illness rather than your strengths and achievements!

Mental disorders / illnesses may cause problems for people who have them because of the way society functions, but the reason many people choose to "define" themselves with them is because of the sole reason that is most "normal" people see mental illness as a bad thing, or the opposite of a strength. Most people who don't know what living with something like that feels like will usually turn very quickly to judge someone who does and are very far from wanting to be in a relationship with them because they see them as "draining" or "don't have the time" for them because they don't understand how simply living can be difficult in a society that caters to those without illness- even though their problems really aren't that bad, they're just very different from what most people have to go through! (that being said, everyone has varying degrees of difficulty with certain things) People with physical disabilities are allowed to define themselves with their disabilities because they affect how they live their life! It doesn't automatically make them an unhappy person, it's just their problems are different than other's and need to be handled in a different way. Mental illness isn't seen the same way though most of time because it's not visible from the outside. They aren't really a weakness or a strength though, they are simply a personality trait almost. It's no different than saying to someone with only one arm "quit calling yourself the guy with only one arm! Focus on your strengths instead!" It just misses the point entirely. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, paroapockinroo said:

Mental disorders / illnesses may cause problems for people who have them because of the way society functions, but the reason many people choose to "define" themselves with them is because of the sole reason that is most "normal" people see mental illness as a bad thing, or the opposite of a strength. Most people who don't know what living with something like that feels like will usually turn very quickly to judge someone who does and are very far from wanting to be in a relationship with them because they see them as "draining" or "don't have the time" for them because they don't understand how simply living can be difficult in a society that caters to those without illness- even though their problems really aren't that bad, they're just very different from what most people have to go through! (that being said, everyone has varying degrees of difficulty with certain things) People with physical disabilities are allowed to define themselves with their disabilities because they affect how they live their life! It doesn't automatically make them an unhappy person, it's just their problems are different than other's and need to be handled in a different way. Mental illness isn't seen the same way though most of time because it's not visible from the outside. They aren't really a weakness or a strength though, they are simply a personality trait almost. It's no different than saying to someone with only one arm "quit calling yourself the guy with only one arm! Focus on your strengths instead!" It just misses the point entirely. 

The reason normal people think mental disorders are bad is because of how often people with the mental disorder bitch and complain about it. 

Oh I hate how my blah blah blah disorder makes it hard to to blah....

Ask anyone who has a mental disorder. They don't like it. 

Saxon's point illustrates why I cringed a bit when I learned that ADHD used to be called "minimal brain dysfunction."

When ADHD people are truly in their element, they shine. Ditto high-functioning autistic people.

I don't buy the Szazian notion mental illness as a whole is just a social construction, but nor do I believe that mentally ill and neurodiverse people are necessarily the ones with "the problem."

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Troj said:

Saxon's point illustrates why I cringed a bit when I learned that ADHD used to be called "minimal brain dysfunction."

When ADHD people are truly in their element, they shine. Ditto high-functioning autistic people.

I don't buy the Szazian notion mental illness as a whole is just a social construction, but nor do I believe that mentally ill and neurodiverse people are necessarily the ones with "the problem."

This is basically what I meant :P Idk if it didn't come out right though. People should be allowed to define themselves with their traits whether they are negative or positive because when it comes down to it they make an effect.

Just because you're someone who talks about how your mental illness / disorders effect your life doesn't mean you are incapable of being a well adjusted person who knows how to deal with it. Obviously there is a difference between people who choose not to help themselves and those who do and try to have functional lives but the problem is when people tell the "healthy" mentally ill individuals to shut up simply because they can't relate. 

23 hours ago, Troj said:

I'd imagine that some of the traits accompanying ADHD and mild autism confer survival advantages, or perhaps did in the past when humanity faced different challenges than typically encountered today. Some even think the increase in autism may be an adaptation for the future, to meet the needs of a more technologically advanced age. The higher than average autism rate in Silicon Valley may point to that. It might also suggest that the genes accompanying high analytical thinking entail an unstable mutation. Or it could be that well educated parents are simply more proactive about having their children tested, resulting in a greater percentage being diagnosed.