Rant: Facebook's Gettin' Emotional

Endless/Nameless

Facebook's new emotional like button makes me want to spam the angry face out of spite. 

Why did Mark Zucky have to complicate it?? I don't want to sit on FB trying to figure out what emotion I feel about someone's post. If I felt that strongly about it, I'd comment.

If they really wanted to add some functionality, they could have just added a dislike button. It's much simpler and more intuitive to just express a positive or negative. Some people would protest because a dislike might hurt someone's feelings, and that's a somewhat valid point, but i dunno, some people on there could use a little criticism I'd say...

OR, they could just have just left it as it was. 

12 minutes ago, willow said:

I really don't see much wrong with it. people will either use it or not

I read an article earlier saying the reactions are a way to gather info on what ads to show you, which is nothing new either 

With all the "personalized" ads running in Facebook, this wouldn't come out as a surprise

Not only did the Facebook itself violate my privacy but I felt the ads too because they think they know what's "best" for you. The whole personalized ad scheme is an attempt to milk as much money from you as possible. Corporatism at its best, which I find appalling 

29 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

With all the "personalized" ads running in Facebook, this wouldn't come out as a surprise

Not only did the Facebook itself violate my privacy but I felt the ads too because they think they know what's "best" for you. The whole personalized ad scheme is an attempt to milk as much money from you as possible. Corporatism at its best, which I find appalling 

yeah but I think they only way they can get money is if you click on them 

I'm not really sure how it would work though unless they latch on to key words in posts you react to and how 

2 minutes ago, willow said:

yeah but I think they only way they can get money is if you click on them 

That's why I said an attempt. And because it is only an attempt, they have to do it hundreds of times before I happen to click one... and even then probably by an accident

4 minutes ago, willow said:

I'm not really sure how it would work though unless they latch on to key words in posts you react to and how 

If I were a web designer, this is how I would do it

Next time there's someone with a post about their GF or people getting married I'll just post the angry face.

Every post about personal loss will get the "lol" one.

I like the update.

No seriously it's garbage.

Edited by Sarcastic Coffeecup
what the heck had I been smoking to make that mistake
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

Next time there's someone with a post about their GF or people getting married I'll just post the angry face.

Every post about personal loss with get the "lol" one.

I like the update.

No seriously it's garbage.

I like the way you think. 

4 hours ago, willow said:

I really don't see much wrong with it. people will either use it or not

Yeah, you can chose not to use it of course, but it sure is kitschy to look at. And just plain bad from a UX point of view. But I'm sure there'll be a some people who'll enjoy it, too. 

3 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Facebook? lol what kind of normies do you think we are?

Lol, I was waiting for that comment... I didn't expect many people here to be regular FB users, even I only use it minimally. But you gotta admit, it's entertaining to kick back and watch as Fuckerburg runs the place into the ground.

14 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

Yeah, you can chose not to use it of course, but it sure is kitschy to look at. And just plain bad from a UX point of view. But I'm sure there'll be a some people who'll enjoy it, too. 

I suppose. I kind of feel like the update was meant more for mobile users because trying to translate android emoticons to Apple emoji and vice versa didn't always work 

so I kind of wish there were more options because I really need a side eye emotion 

• Like 1

Hello, peasants! It's me, your lord and saviour Mark Zuckerberg.

I've been hearing suggestions that Facebook should get a dislike button. So I have granted your wish!

You can now respond to posts using emoticons nobody wanted nor asked for

By the way, there's no dislike button 

See you! Enjoy~

• Like 1