Those obscure games you like and/or are interested in...

TrishaCat

There are a lot of interesting games out there. But not all of them are so well known that they could produce enough discussion to warrant an individual thread for them. So I figured maybe it'd be cool to have a thread to mention and talk about any interesting but very obscure games you may like. Post about anything, and maybe someone will be able to talk about it with you.

I wanted a thread like this because there are a lot of games I like that I'd LOVE to talk about with people, I don't really think many people played. Maybe no one here played them. So I thought I might throw them into one post in somewhere its fitting and let others do the same and see what happens.

Anywho, to start things off, has anyone here played Fragile Dreams: Farewell, Ruins of the Moon or Okage: Shadow King?

Fragile Dreams is a horror game crossed with an action RPG taking place after some mysterious apocalypse. You explore Tokyo with nothing but a flashlight and a stick while trying to find any other survivors you can, going off of clues at hand. Occasionally, you might run into ghosts and need to fight them off either with your stick or with your flashlight. Its a really interesting game, and also a gorgeous one at that:

56cfea4db3785_fragiledreams.png.bbc89ac6

Okage: Shadow King is a comedy oriented JRPG with a sort of dark...Well, its Tim Burtonesque if that makes any sense. Its aesthetically dark and uses dark themes but is fairly lighthearted. Its about a kid who has to help bring the dark lord Satan (otherwise known as King Stan) back to power and obey any command he's given. But King Stan and the main character unintentionally wind up helping people and doing good deeds whenever he's given a task by King Stan. The whole reason he has to do this in the first place is because his family all agreed to sell their souls to him since they needed his help curing the MC's sister who was cursed to speak forever in Pig Latin. Its a very silly game, and its humor and atmosphere are really neat. The combat is standard JRPG turn based fair though, so its nothing special on that front. 

okage.png.024daad6f28cac650cff5cc1e905d6

Anyways, anyone played either of these? Maybe you've got a couple obscure/interesting titles up your sleave?

Also curiously, htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary was added to Steam recently and I don't know anything about it and was wondering if anyone's played it and could tell me what they thought. I'd love to learn more, because it looks interesting but I'm not sure if I'd go out and buy it. Anyone know anything about it?

Looking at my Steam list, I have a few odd games that I must have picked up from Humble Bundles, and which I keep going back to every now and then to try and unravel their mysteries. Starseed Pilgrim and Mirrormoon EP are two I don't really understand, but keep going back to.

Starseed Pilgrim is kind of a platformer which just drops you in to figure out how it works. It takes a long time to figure out how to progress, and then when you do the mechanics change, and you have to get accustomed to the new rules of the next "planet" sort of thing. I haven't finished it, but it'll always captivate me.

MirrorMoon EP is similar, but more accessible, and better-looking. It has that kind of low-poly 3D aesthetic which is probably going out of style. It's a lot of fun to figure out how the menu works, based inside a ship's cockpit, fiddling with switches, dials, and levers to navigate between puzzles, which I don't have the vocabulary or the patience to explain.

But the crowning jewel is Luxuria Superbia. I feel like I'm playing a dating sim, indulging in undisguised eroticism. You touch petals that bloom from the walls of a tunnel, reddening it's velvety surface. Touch too many too quickly and it'll end; the goal is to keep going as long as possible without overstimulating or understimulating the tunnel, as messages appear on the screen such as "Be me." It's a vagina simulator.

• Like 1

I recently picked up Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

It's a cross between Baldur's Gate and Fallout set in a Victorian steampunk setting.

All of the music was performed by a string quartet and is very pretty.

It looks neat, it looks like a neat game to play.

blogarcanumad.png

• Like 1

I used to have this game called Mischief Makers for the N64 that someone gave to me. you play as this robot girl named Marina and you have to save your creator from some uhhhm...alien things called Clanses. I played it a lot even though I had zero clue what was going on because the game was completed when I got it

a few other titles I can think of off the top of my head are Power Stone from the Dreamcast and Pop 'n Music, which isn't even available outside of Japan for commercial sale. the only way you can find it is if you import the arcade version so needless to say, I've only played it once

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, willow said:

I used to have this game called Mischief Makers for the N64 that someone gave to me. you play as this robot girl named Marina and you have to save your creator from some uhhhm...alien things called Clanses. I played it a lot even though I had zero clue what was going on because the game was completed when I got it

a few other titles I can think of off the top of my head are Power Stone from the Dreamcast and Pop 'n Music, which isn't even available outside of Japan for commercial sale. the only way you can find it is if you import the arcade version so needless to say, I've only played it once

SHAKE SHAKE!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, willow said:

THROUGH FIRE JUSTICE IS SERVED!

Fuggin love that game. Still have my copy <; Robot maid fighting a villainous furry sentai group. Doesn't get much more Japanese than that.

I don't know that these are obscure games so much since I'm fairly certain they're cult classics~ but growing up I loved the Tomba series and Shadow Hearts games.

Tomba being an rpg platformer where the plot is more or less the main character got mugged so now hes travelling around the world beating the shit out of evil magical pigs to get his stuff back. Super fun gameplay.

And the Shadow Hearts series being jrpgs set in Europe just before World War 1. Cool storyline, even cooler main character that shapeshifts into monsters and devours gods. Very light hearted and funny dialog in it despite a very dark atmosphere in game. Definitely one of my fav series.

Swordgirls http://swordgirls.net/

An online cardgame that is actually really good in terms of strategy and stuff. Not many people play it but when the official version of it was out it was really fun. my favorite things about it is how much you can mix factions and how each card has flavour text and there is kind of a lot of lore with it.

On 2/26/2016 at 9:52 AM, Shiekra Tora said:

Long Live The Queen is actually pretty interesting, it catches my attention from time to time and I really can't figure out why.

Also World of Goo and a full other indie titles.

Long Live the Queen is amazing. One of the best visual novels I've ever played. Although I've never successfully gotten to the end. Elodie always dies in some hilarious if ridiculous manner.

*gets shot by arrow*

*pushes arrow in*

???

On 2/26/2016 at 11:15 AM, jcstinks said:

I recently picked up Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

It's a cross between Baldur's Gate and Fallout set in a Victorian steampunk setting.

All of the music was performed by a string quartet and is very pretty.

It looks neat, it looks like a neat game to play.

Oh yeah! I saw an advertisement for this on the back of my copy of Empire Earth a while back. Sierra's a really awesome developer! That said, I've never been much on top down RPGs in that style. How well has it aged?

On 2/26/2016 at 0:37 PM, GarthTheWereWolf said:

And the Shadow Hearts series being jrpgs set in Europe just before World War 1. Cool storyline, even cooler main character that shapeshifts into monsters and devours gods. Very light hearted and funny dialog in it despite a very dark atmosphere in game. Definitely one of my fav series.

[shadow hearts covenant trailer]

I've been meaning to try Shadow Hearts for a long time. Just haven't found any copies in decent condition. Looks REALLY cool. I didn't know about its setting, but that's pretty rad. Not a lot of games do that.

On 2/26/2016 at 11:57 AM, PastryOfApathy said:

I'm a pretty avid Kingdom of Loathing player. There's that I guess.

What is this, anyways? Looks like a multiplayer text adventure game or something.

Just now, Battlechili said:

What is this, anyways? Looks like a multiplayer text adventure game or something.

Best way to describe it is that it's a mostly single-player web-based RPG with MMO elements featuring stick figures and bad jokes. There's quests, side-quests, dungeons, multi-player "raids" and and can either be insanely deep and complex (like seriously you wanna look at one of my personal spreadsheets), or ridiculously simple and easy to pick up. If you ever give it a shot hit me up and I'll be more than happy to help just about anyone out.

Also you can beat up furries in it.

I'm rather fond of 'Necrovision' (it had a sequel, Lost Company, that I couldn't find here) by Aspyr; sort of Wolfenstein 3D 'souped-up soldier'-like, but set during World War I instead, meshing in a mess of thoroughly disturbing horror right out of the starting gate and adding a touch of JRPG 'mystical gauntlet powers' for the heck of it. I found it for $10 Cdn. in a local game store's bargain bin a few years back; it's not even that old (2006-7, I think), and I know virtually nothing about the developer or the publisher (right over my head). There is a '1C Company' game site that doesn't see much traffic about the game, tho'.

Besides enjoying how good the game is, it did something for me that I was not expecting: it led me to appreciate top-down JRPGs like Final Fantasy and Soul Blazer in a way I had never done so prior to playing Necrovision. (It's an FPS at heart, but it's the feel of the game I'm talking about.) I ended up giving Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn a try, and liking it thoroughly.

-2Paw.

I've played the second game you listed, as well as all the Shadow Hearts games, they're great fun! (Your best bet is to probably emulate them honestly)

On another note, I do play a lot of RPG Maker Games, which you GENERALLY don't hear about, and, I've linked these before in the furry games thread, it's kinda a series of cool games I liked by someone who's probably a scalie.

The Reconstruction : A twist on your standard RPG with a bunch of playable characters. Basically you play as a lizardman with his feline friends, human and magi friends, and do guild stuffs and expose evils around the world.

I Miss the Sunrise: IMTS is a sci-fi prequel to The Reconstruction. It more-or-less explains how the world of the first game came to be or whatever. You can be a gay space lizard! Gameplay is similar to former, but with a space twist.

The Drop: The Drop is a sequel to The Reconstruction. It kinda picks up on a few of the loose ends from The Reconstruction. It's actually a dungeon crawler instead.

Timesplotters, a very interesting and diverse first person shooter with a wide variety of arcade modes, mapmaking, and enviroments.

Timesplitters was srsly awesome and sometimes terrifying. Just look up the mansion from timesplitters: future perfect with the mind of a child.

I actually miss this game :(

• Like 1

No one I've ever asked has ever heard of it or owned it but when I was younger back in the N64 days I loved a bizarre fighting game called ClayFighter 63 1/3. The original cartridge I had got stolen by one of those short-term classic "friends" one sometimes picked up as a kid. Was pretty crushed about that until years later I found a working one at a flea market. In the unlikely event I ever had enough disposable income it'd be neat to pick up the Sculptor's Cut version.

Edited by Sparkyopteryx

Uh, Guardian Legend immediately comes to mind. It's also my favorite game, period.
You play a female android that transforms into a spaceship for certain segments, and spends other amounts of time exploring the world on-foot, looking for upgrades, gathering health, and trying to find the boss rooms.
The boss rooms are the flight / spaceship segments, and you still have to make it through a very frantic, fast-paced legitimate shmup level before you can actually fight the boss proper.
It has a very Zelda1-meets-oldschool-space-shooters feel, which is pretty unique, and I feel paces itself well, so you have breaks between the fast and slow sections.

GuardianLegendLabyrinthExample.png.e7086tumblr_mldjp23qvk1rm0me2o3_540.jpg.f6b2c

The music and visuals are also pretty damn nice for a NES game.

Another one (with less relative obscurity) is La Mulana,
an action / exploration game where you search for treasure / weapons / items and such in a large temple while also figuring out the lore of said temple. The game's rather difficult, and big in scale, and somewhat demanding in its puzzle-solving at times. It requires a lot of reading, and a lot of searching back and forth for stuff.
I've heard it's like Spelunky, but I've never played that.

la-mulana-win-ingame-78069.png.c9a35f3fcLamulana.jpg.49156a1d77226dd332d8cb9f29e

The original freeware version is [here] (That has the game and patch. Make sure you grab both if you wanna play it.)
It actually got a Steam and Wiiware HD remake, that you can see [here]. But I prefer the original, myself. The remake has a lot of cheap death stuff I'm not particularly fond of.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd pop in here and say that 7th Dragon II just got its English translation finished!

56faf0c438ba1_7thdragon2020.thumb.jpg.e1

This is a game from the creators of Etrian Odyssey and Skies of Arcadia. Its pretty great if you like dungeon crawlers.

Also since I'm bringing up games getting translated, .hack//Link's translation should be finishing up very soon.

EDIT: Oh, and Code of Princess is coming to Steam!

https://steamdb.info/app/408640/subs/

Edited by Battlechili

Obscure shitware was my childhood. Lemme learn you kids some knowledge.

Chasm: the Rift is what got me started on scalies. This was the coverart -- I even blatantly stole the design for my first OC, circa fifth grade. The game itself is best described as a "poor man's Quake" -- it featured 3D models (and even amputations; I think that was a "thing" for the developers since they later made Vivisector: Beast Within which was little more than a brutal furry murder simulator) and dynamic lighting, but was stuck with 2.5D "Doom-style" maps that couldn't render rooms above each other. Still a fun game, even if only for blowing off a monster's gun arm and having him promptly deck you in the mouth.

Outpost 2: Divided Destiny was another fun one, a real-time city management game with combat tacked on as a bit of an afterthought. Managing a colony was hard enough as is, I don't know why they thought throwing in laser assholes as well would've made it any better, but whatever. You had to manage all sorts of colony resources and it was not only possible but fairly easy to end up in an unwinnable situation -- usually if too many workers died to operate critical buildings, or if the link between your Command Center and the rest of the colony was severed. Still an entertaining game, though.

Next up is Tank Racer. Think Mario Kart,  but with tanks. A bit buggy and unpolished but still plenty of fun.

In the same vein is NASCAR Rumble. Just.. This fucking game, man. You'll just have to watch the video for yourself.

There's probably others too if you're interested.

I'm not sure it counts as "obscure" considering the actual subject matter, but Crazy Frog Racer for the PS2 was a surprisingly competent and great racing game IIRC. I haven't played it in about 6 or 7 years though so I may be looking back at it through rose-tinted glasses.

Edited by Sutekh_the_Steak

• 2 weeks later...

Lets see.

Megarace was something I played as a kid. Silent Steel was another, although I only had the demo.

I spent too many hour playing Wing Commander Privateer.

Also I am PISSED about Okage: Shadow King. Because I lost my save file right before the final dungeon. Never beat it :(

On ‎26‎-‎2‎-‎2016 at 8:39 AM, Newt said:

Nightmare_creaturescover.jpg

Gameplay wasn't the best, but it had some great visual design.

So much this! That game defined the PSX era for me oO That and Tomb Raider 1,2,3

My obscure games;

Blakestone: Aliens Of Gold (S/F version of Wolfenstein 3D)
Dark Cloud/Dark Chronicle
Discworld (point & click DOS)

On 3/29/2016 at 7:58 PM, Luca said:

Video

It's Castlevania inspired, had GOOD sprite work, fantastic music and it has a twin peaks reference in there somewhere. i couldn't have more of a boner for this game if I tried. 

Whoooooa. I need this game like right now.

Time for a little Strife love.

Strife is kind of a Doom clone. Kinda.

Imagine Doom but with Metroid-esque open world exploration and item/ power up collection. Friendly NPC's that you can talk to, a solid story, and voice acting that is VERY good for the time. Blackbird, your friend who accompanies you in by talking to you over a transmission is my favorite character. Her snark is really charming.

It's a post-apocalypse game where you have to aid a rebellion trying to take down an evil dictatorship led by insane mutants who think they can talk to gods. You're basically their best infiltrator who can go deep into enemy territory and wreck their shit. Like Samus :3   

images.jpg

95118-Strife_(1996)(Rogue_Entertainment)-1.jpg

strife2.jpg

I recommend it if you like both D00M, Metroid, and RPG's. 

If you DO like all of those things, we're basically best friends. 

Hmm, there's quite a few.  First and foremost would be a 2005 game called Darwinia.  It's on PC and then ported to 360 a few years later.  It's quite a neat hybrid between god game, resource management, and RTS.  It has an interesting aesthetic to it, though the gameplay does take some getting used to at first.

Next up is a game called Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason from 2009, released exclusively on Windows.  The most infamous thing about this game was how heavily this game became a PhysX showcase, despite the game's otherwise mediocre visuals.  It has some neat shader effects (such as the ice melting at 1:38) and the lighting engine is impressive, if not underutilized.  Even to this day, it is exceptionally difficult to run on a lot of PCs.  As for the game, it's your usual Slavic PC game, which is an FPS with a supernatural twist to it.  It has some neat ideas, but the main draw will be the PhysX effects.

If you want to play this game, your only options would be to pirate it or find a retail copy of the game.  It was taken off Steam for some IP licensing issues.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2016 at 4:16 PM, Battlechili said:

Just thought I'd pop in here and say that 7th Dragon 2020 just got its English translation finished!

So I've been playing 7th Dragon 2020 and its AMAZING. The 7th Dragon series reminds me so much of what makes Etrian Odyssey fun, but with much less tedium than Etrian Odyssey. 

NPJH50459_00008.pngNPJH50459_00014.png

14415389505160740864_20160510200928_1.png

This is genuinely one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and it makes me sad because the creators went bankrupt and only the 4th game in the series (7th Dragon III: Code VFD) is even getting an official English release. The rest are all fan translations.

The story of it involves a bunch of dragons having come to the Earth and screwing everything up all over the world. Now you, an elite group of soldiers that you yourself created, must help an organization get humanity back some ground after dragons took over and pushed mankind close to death. So far the story isn't anything special but the scifi atmosphere along with strange visuals and its relationships with flowers keeps things fresh. The flowers seem to hold some relevance as to what kind of monsters are in the area, and there are strange distortions in space wherever these dragons have spent a long period of time around.

The game offers a lot of customizability gameplay wise. Right at the beginning of the game, you choose three characters (yourself and two party members) and give them each a class of your choosing. You have a small number of class choices, from hacker to psychic, each with their own uses and cons. Psychics mostly deal in offensive and defensive magic. Hackers almost exclusively have buffs and debuffs as skills. Samurai deal in strong offensive melee attacks. Psychics have low attack power, high magic. The others have decent attack. And so on. There are other classes. You can even choose each of the characters' voices and their names. Gameplay wise, the game doesn't baby you at all and has almost no tutorial, making it very easy to pick up. Battles are challenging and rewarding and keep you on your toes, and the music is really...different.Its some of Yuzo Koshiro's best work, I think. It even has an alternate Diva mode where all the background music is sung by Hatsune Miku.

I'm sorry for bumping a thread to talk about a game I already mentioned but now I'm finally playing it and its just...WOW. I love it.

One of my favorite games that I've bought in the past few years.  Over Horizon for the NES.  It's a fairly slow paced (and sometimes suffers from some slowdown) space shooter for the NES, but it looks nice, plays well, and has a thumpin' soundtrack.  The most interesting thing about the game, however, is the Edit function, which allows you to allocate 5 points to a particular weapon in two categories out of three, which ones show up depend on what weapon you're trying to edit; 'Laser' which means rapid fire, 'Homming' which refers to homing, and 'Bombar' which determines explosive power.  You can also adjust how you want your options to be positioned, and you can change their formation by pressing A+B.  However, I advise against fiddling with the Edit mode, as this destroys the challenge of the game.  Oh, pressing B will make your options shoot behind you, and pressing A will make your options shoot in front of you.  The game is a bit like Contra in that the final few levels become organic, and trust me when I say the game can get pretty disturbing, especially the 'secret' ending.

However, this game was only released in Europe and Japan, so getting a copy of this game will be extremely difficult and pricey.  Blimey, just looking on eBay right now, they are asking 80 bucks for the PAL copy, and 150 for the Japanese version.  I was lucky that I was able to snatch a bootleg copy of the game years ago!

The Playstation Vita horror game Yomawari: Night Alone was recently found to have an ESRB rating for both PS Vita AND PC. Looks like NISA is keeping its ports moving at an alarmingly fast rate. And cool too! Yomawari looks interesting and Japanese horror games are usually fairly unique.

My second favorite 360 game is getting a US port to PC this fall and it should have all of it's DLC which made me cum galaxies creating new life when I heard the splendid news.

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/dodonpachi-daifukkatsu-coming-pc-via-steam-fall

I most definitely screamed and jumped when I saw the news. UK got the game on 360 region free and I had to import it, but only Japan got the outstanding DLC which I never got to buy (but played once at an anime convention I regret attending aside from the bliss I had playing that game).

I've been thinking about this game at work, so thanks for the bump.

Here's a game that I'm positive not many people have played.  Space Invaders X, otherwise known as Space Invaders 1999 or simply Space Invaders, depending in what neck of the woods you are in.  While I've played the N64 version, this game was also on PlayStation, Windows 95/8, and Game Boy Color.  As the name implies, it's a modern version of Space Invaders for (then) modern consoles, but it has a few differences from the traditional formula.

For one, the barricades aren't destroyed, but they are simply pushed up, which can make the enemy aliens collide into them.  However, they can get damaged and fall out of place.  Secondly, you can shoot the flying motherships and they will drop a shield power up, which lets you absorb one shot.  Thirdly, you can acquire a special weapon by shooting four aliens of the same color, and their function depends on what aliens you shot.  And finally, when the aliens come to the bottom line, they don't just unavoidably collide into you, but they jump at you instead, giving you an opportunity to fight back.  After 10 stages, there is a boss, and every boss has their own gimmick.  You travel through all 9 planets (at the time) until you reach Earth, which can only be accessed by playing the game at the highest difficulty, I assume.  You can also unlock a port of the original arcade game once you beat it!  While the game is largely the same across all platforms, the PS1 and PC version feature a few FMVs instead of static screens and MP3 music.  The GBC version is different from the others.

I'm speechless at how beautiful this game is. Taito was neck and neck with Sega when it came to on rails arcade games. I still find Galaxy Force a little better, but this is so close. So much detail, high quality sprites, everything twists and turns and bobs, the sound effects are great. And that stellar music. Zuntata continues to amaze. I really got immediately sucked into it.

I thought NightStriker was Taito's best on rails game. This one here is really something. To have played this in it's cabinet would have been really something special.

It's like you read my mind, xopachi, I was gonna post another Taito game when the chance arose.

My favorite Taito game of all time is Space Invaders '95.  It's given the subtitle 'Attack of the Lunar Loonies' outside Japan, which for the longest time I thought was a Japan and EU exclusive; apparently it was Japan and USA, funny considering how prevalent Taito was in Europe.  It didn't see a home version until 2006's Taito Legends 2 for Xbox, PS2, and Windows.

I just really love Space Invaders.  '3'

Unmechanical

It may not be the most impressive game, it may just be a puzzle game, but something about it stuck with me. 

I also really like Pony Island. I won't link to the store page for it because, sadly, I feel like it spoils itself. It's not a game about ponies nor happy  fun times with them.  It has two parts to. Puzzle and side scrolling action. If thats sounds remotely interesting, go buy it. It's $5 USD. It's a short game, but I really do like it. 

Or go watch somebody play the game, like Jesse Cox, you do you. 

I got no pics and to lazy to get a video link, tho 2 old games I liked that didn't get a lot of attention were.

1) Actraiser on SNES (the first seconds was not to got for me)
It combined a VERY simple SIM type of game, that also had side scrolling actions parts.
The sim was over head, and you instructed the population where to build.
This eventually lead to places to do the battle parts.

2) Raident Silvergun a import game for Sega Saturn and a arcade game for Xbox360(maybe for PS3 too)
Its a top down view spaceship shooter.
What made this game different was you had several types of weapons from the start. No need to pick up onscreen power ups for like spread, homing, etc.
Also the more you used a type of weapon it eventually levels up, so they do more damage.
You also have a bar you build up so you can use a powerful attack.

Now lets say you loose all your lives.
When you start again, its from the beginning.
Tho this time its with the leveled up weapons.

8 minutes ago, Stargazer Bleu said:

Now lets say you loose all your lives.
When you start again, its from the beginning.
Tho this time its with the leveled up weapons.

That would remove all of the frustration from bullet hell/shmup games ;-;

Also here, have a video on that actraiser game you were talking about:

The sidescrolly bits remind me of ghouls and goblins, tbh.