What Musical Instruments Do You Play?

Kellan Meig'h

Well, I'll start off with what I can call myself proficient at; Guitar, bass guitar, tenor guitar (tuned in fifths), mandolin and mandolin family/bozouki, tenor banjo.

Others that I can make some reasonable attempt at following a tune; Harmonica (chromatic, not a blues/slide harp), piano (sort of), organ/synth (slightly better), five string banjo (okay but not good enough to make a living at it), Highland bagpipes (my neighbors hate me).

What do you play? ;)

I mainly play the electric guitar, I (kinda) sing, and I used to play the piano...

I technically have 4 guitars, though 1 of them I gave to my father in exchange for an e-bass and another one has no strings and I have left in my hometown. So let's just say I have my two:

Fluffy, a Gibson SG special 2014, in desert burst, my main

Lucy Fur, a Ibanez amf73 in black that I use to carry around when I wanna play the guitar outside or at someone's place.

• Kalmor pinned this topic

I meant the actual playing of the instrument.

As do I. French Horn's key challenge is understanding intervallic differences, both when it comes to the fingerings and when it comes to the notes you're buzzing. Being able to quickly think "this note is a half step away" or "these partials are a dominant seven chord" and using deductive reasoning in that fashion is WAY easier than trying to establish the different partials, then figure out every fingering without understanding how they relate.

When I took horn I was awful at it, but my theory training allowed me to at least correct my errors and learn from them faster than a newer player would.

Edited by evan

I grew up playing the drums, got my first kit when I was 3. Played around on keyboards/pianos but never got good at it, same with guitar. I did make music on my computer with a couple midi controllers etc. but haven in a while. I can play a handpan pretty well, most percussion I can pick up on quite fast.

As do I. French Horn's key challenge is understanding intervallic differences, both when it comes to the fingerings and when it comes to the notes you're buzzing. Being able to quickly think "this note is a half step away" or "these partials are a dominant seven chord" and using deductive reasoning in that fashion is WAY easier than trying to establish the different partials, then figure out every fingering without understanding how they relate.

When I took horn I was awful at it, but my theory training allowed me to at least correct my errors and learn from them faster than a newer player would.

sounds like the french horn might be up my ally now who here has $300 i can borrow to buy one ? :V

I primarily play drums, but as mentioned in another thread, I don't have a kit right now.. I had to sell it off to buy a bed when I moved into my current place. I'll be buying another one when I get a job that actually pays, though. Too fun to stop now.

I used to also do metalcore vocals and singing, but I royally screwed my voice up because of poor technique and general throat abuse, which I've only properly recovered from in the last year or two. I'd like to pick up singing again but I'd need months of training to reach a "beginner" level x.x

On top of those I've also learned piano and guitar, though I'm not too great at either. I do want to pick up piano and learn to play it properly, though. I've also played bass, and actually kinda enjoyed it. So who knows, maybe I'll pick up bass as a hobby some day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ah, I never noticed this thread.

Bass Guitar - 10 years

Piano - 15 years

Cello - On and off for 12 years

Violin - 4 years

I've toyed around with other instruments, but these are the only ones I'm proficient with. 

Edited by Ieono

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 09/26/2015 at 0:04 AM, FenrirDarkWolf said:

In order of proficiently:
Bassoon, Clarinet, English horn, Oboe

Embouchure is the Devil's work. ;___; (Reed woodwinds are some of my favourite instruments but proper embouchure is really difficult. I can get sad honks out of a clarinet at this point but mostly I'm only competent with recorders...)

Mostly a keyboard guy here, or really a singing and production guy? I am not completely awful at bass and I can carry a tune on mallet instruments but my guitar skills are pretty sad and my drumming probably still kills things at medium range although I haven't had a chance to check in a while.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

I'm a pianist, 've even done concerts before, but I haven't put much time into it for a while. My main problem is that I'm slow to read music.

Opposite for me. I am fast at reading music but slow to put my hands in the right/position