Gripes with the ignore system.

Vae

The ignore system seems to do very little in terms of actually ignoring post content. It hides them in-thread, but that's about it.
They still show up in the sidebar and on the activity page.

Are there any plans or capabilities to fix this?
Because right now, it's almost entirely pointless to checkmark that box.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Vae said:

The ignore system seems to do very little in terms of actually ignoring post content. It hides them in-thread, but that's about it.
They still show up in the sidebar and on the activity page.

Are there any plans or capabilities to fix this?
Because right now, it's almost entirely pointless to checkmark that box.

Fix? Anything? Ha. If you want to ignore posts it LOOKS like you're just going to have to close your eyes. 

• Like 2

Just now, Kellie Gator said:

This is more or less why I left. And... dunno if I'll come back or not. Just putting this feedback out there while I'm lurking.

You know to qualify as "I left" you have to actually stay gone. Try logging out or going outside. 

• Like 3

I totally agree that there are some improvements that need to be made to the ignore system.

If I may bring up an additional suggestion, could there possibly be a way to hide threads that you don't want to see in the similar manner to hiding user posts? I'm pretty sure not everyone wants to see a page of nothing but "X is literally the Y fetish" threads. Or garbage threads in general, like the "anti-Pc safe zone" thread to give an example.

Edited by Sar
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 6tails said:

It's a downside of this forum software. It is a very basic framework. It is extensible, but to do so means spending money because the plugin authors and forum software owners are greedy types.

Or just write it yourself. If there aren't already basic, extensible methods everywhere for filtering content then there's far deeper issues with this forum software.

1 minute ago, 6tails said:

I've only used the ignore function on I think one person. I think they're banned anyways. Why ignore genuine entertainment?

Maybe I can ignore myself?

Sometimes I can be really annoying. 

And 99% of the time is sometimes. 

Just now, 6tails said:

He is aware IIRC. i do keep in contact with him on some things.

There might be a forum software switch coming sooner or later. I don't know, but it seems likely.

There may be details/requests/suggestions he might find useful here though. I'll report back when I hear something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sar said:

II'm pretty sure not everyone wants to see a page of nothing but "X is literally the Y fetish" threads. Or garbage threads in general, like the "anti-Pc safe zone" thread to give an example.

It's funny because on any other forum these shit threads wouldn't be allowed to begin with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlynnCoyote said:

It's funny because on any other forum these shit threads wouldn't be allowed to begin with.

Considering they're generally kept to a spot designated specifically for shitposting, I don't see the problem.

OldFAF wasn't exactly the most serious community.

Regardless, it would be useful to just have like an [x] or something beside threads you don't want to see / have already seen / etc just to clear up pages.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brazen said:

Fix? Anything? Ha. Whatever faggot. If you want to ignore posts it LOOKS like you're just going to have to close your eyes. 

Let's host a fundraiser to buy more servers and hosting and blow it all on everything but, and let's hire a bunch of coders to rewrite the site, only we'll make them go through draconian procedures just to look at the code and not pay them for a single line they write, and --- Wait, this isn't FA anymore?

1 hour ago, FlynnCoyote said:

Other forums don't have a black hole for containing them.  It'd still be nice if they didn't turn up on the home page or in default activity streams, though.

1 minute ago, PastryOfApathy said:

All I want more than anything else is a hide thread option. I don't really ignore people so I'm not personally bothered by that, but there's some excessively retarded threads that I could live without.

So who else is not interested in Rassah's lectures in Anarchy thread?

4 hours ago, ArielMT said:

Let's host a fundraiser to buy more servers and hosting and blow it all on everything but, and let's hire a bunch of coders to rewrite the site, only we'll make them go through draconian procedures just to look at the code and not pay them for a single line they write, and --- Wait, this isn't FA anymore?

Other forums don't have a black hole for containing them.  It'd still be nice if they didn't turn up on the home page or in default activity streams, though.

I want to take this moment to note that I asked Zeke to remove The Black Hole from the stream on the Home Page yesterday, is it working for everyone?

23 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

I want to take this moment to note that I asked Zeke to remove The Black Hole from the stream on the Home Page yesterday, is it working for everyone?

I haven't seen anything so yeah it works for me 

44 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

I only just now noticed. Yes, it's working here.

15 hours ago, Clove Darkwave said:

I haven't seen any on there.

But I usually hang around the activity page more than the front page.

You can create any number of customized personal activity streams, each showing either all or a select few forum topics.  A drawback is that it's inclusive filtering, not exclusive filtering like a proper ignore system would be.

To set one up: Activity -> My Activity Streams -> Create New Stream

You can share the stream's URL with other Phoenixed users, and others can add it to their streams.  Adding someone else's existing stream creates your own copy of the stream which you can edit, clone from, or delete at your leisure without affecting anyone else's.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...