Rave: Beeeeeeeees!!!!!

Rassah

This came in the mail today! Can't wait to get a Nuc(leus) with a queen. I'm supposed to pick up the Nuc in April. Then, once I get this going, I'll be literally surrounded by literally thousands of girls in colorful fuzzy/furry outfits! It'll be like a miniature furcon with with everyone in tiny fursuits eating tons of sugary foods. Except weapons will not be checked at the door. Will try to remember to take lots of pictures.

56dbad4e16e62_2016-03-0523.07.53.thumb.j

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, willow said:

I once thought about doing beekeeping but I'm way too busy for it. where exactly do you get something like that though?

Amazon. That whole setup cost me $400, but the hive and frames came assembled, waxed, and kind of high quality (I may have overpaid). Unassembled can be much less (probably half that if bought separately in pieces and without frame centers). The bees have to come from a local seller though, which is another $100 to $150 or so, or if you're lucky you can find a swarm (fire departments sometimes have announcements for local beekeepers for where a swarm has been found), and then just sweep that in a bag and dump it into a hive.

As for time, they are pretty self sustaining. Just takes an hour at most to check on them once every two weeks, and I was told that in all bees take maybe 30 hours of work a year. Less if you don't care about collecting honey. My main problem was finding a place to put them. They'll be going on my parents' roof.

Edited by Rassah
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Amazon. That whole setup cost me $400, but the hive and frames came assembled, waxed, and kind of high quality (I may have overpaid). Unassembled can be much less (probably half that if bought separately in pieces and without frame centers). The bees have to come from a local seller though, which is another $100 to $150 or so, or if you're lucky you can find a swarm (fire departments sometimes have announcements for local beekeepers for where a swarm has been found), and then just sweep that in a bag and dump it into a hive.

As for time, they are pretty self sustaining. Just takes an hour at most to check on them once every two weeks, and I was told that in all bees take maybe 30 hours of work a year. Less if you don't care about collecting honey. My main problem was finding a place to put them. They'll be going on my parents' roof.

Wow! I wish I was in one place long enough to dedicate the time to this. I'd love to do the same someday!

6 hours ago, Rhíulchabán said:

18lonkjrfhzdtjpg.jpg

Bee jokes aside, that's pretty cool, I think folks who do bee-keeping are pretty awesome!

Bullshit aside, that's pretty cool Rassah! Bees are awesome

1 hour ago, Sir Gibby said:

Hey, I'm taking a beekeeping class right now.

We have a couple hives already, we used to dabble in it some years back. It's surprisingly fun!

Funny, I thought of you when seeing this thread. I'm glad to hear you're following your (now-not-so)dream hobby

Just now, Amiir said:

Funny, I thought of you when seeing this thread. I'm glad to hear you're following your (now-not-so)dream hobby

If you mean me and not OP, it's not something I wanted to do at all, I've been dragged into it against my wiill and learned to find it interesting.

3 hours ago, Amiir said:

Bullshit aside, that's pretty cool Rassah! Bees are awesome

I  can't believe I just gave a like to this post. Like holy shit, this is some nightmare material right here. Very, VERY, VERY disturbing brrrrh

17 hours ago, #00Buck said:

I can't wait to see pics of a house full of bees. 

I can't wait to be able to mail boxes full of bees to people's houses >;)

15 hours ago, Kinharia said:

You need to collect the honey, make a furry name for said honey and then have a yiffy looking pic of a bee surronded in honey for said bottle.

Good idea! Maybe I can capture the lucrative furry market by selling sexy honey :D

• Like 2

Bees are my greatest fear. I'd even go so far as to say I have a genuine phobia of them

I do not understand your enthusiasm. Not one bit. Lots of tiny little creepy crawlies flying around at high speeds with tiny pointy things on their butts that don't mind sticking their pointy butts as close to any living creature that passes them, making homes anywhere someone else has a home....It sounds horrifying and dreadful. I hate bees. I absolutely hate them. I'm glad you're happy but what you describe as fun sounds like the exact opposite on my end.

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 1

@Battlechili I think you're describing wasps more than bees. Bees usually don't make a home in someone else's home, and they die if they sting, so they only sting as a last resort. Honey bees are generally docile, and don't sting unless you're trying to kill/squish them, or if you're attacking their home. But either way, I'll be wearing a steel mesh helmet and thick leather gloves, so even if some do get stingy, they won't hurt me. I used to hate bees too, actually, since I have been stung by a few of them, once even while stepping on one barefooted. But after learning about them, how they live and how they work, and how to take care of them, I started to be fascinated by them instead. Maybe it's the we fear what we don't understand thing? Used to be I was a bit nervous flying too, especially during landings, but now that I know everything about that, I just know what's going on and what the scary noises are (flaps, gear, airbrakes), and it doesn't bother me.

On 3/6/2016 at 10:08 PM, Rassah said:

This came in the mail today! Can't wait to get a Nuc(leus) with a queen. I'm supposed to pick up the Nuc in April. Then, once I get this going, I'll be literally surrounded by literally thousands of girls in colorful fuzzy/furry outfits! It'll be like a miniature furcon with with everyone in tiny fursuits eating tons of sugary foods. Except weapons will not be checked at the door. Will try to remember to take lots of pictures.

Why you gotta make it weird?

I always thought beekeeping was fascinating...

It's not really something I'd do myself, because, even though I know bees are generally harmless compared to other stinging beasts, I'd still rather not get close.

Also this (even though they're not bumblebees you're getting)

HighfiveBumblebro-27392.gif

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

There's plenty of food for the bees nearby. Cherry trees, apricot trees, fig trees, crabapple trees, blackberry bushes, and meadows full of wildflowers. I think it'll be too much work putting extra flowers up there. I plan on coming up to check on them once every two weeks or so, since this is at my parents' 45 minutes away and on the roof, and flower pots I'd have to water daily.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my bees!!!

20160416_101249.jpg

Sorry the pic is sideways. That's a Nuc, our a nucleus colony. It has five frames, a queen, the frames are full of honey and baby bees, and it has about 2,000 adult bees buzzing and being frustrated.

I have set up a Wi-Fi cam to keep an eye on it. To view it, get an app called Sricam. Create a login and password, then add a new device #663698, and use 12345 for the password. I will be putting the bees into the hive at 6pm EST (in about 30 minutes). Hope the camera works.

• Like 1

The bees are in da house! Was really intimidating having to grab then at first, cause they were PISSED! Bunch came out buzzing all over, and I kept having to smoke the tops of the frames to get them out of the way so I could grab them. But they're in, and all settled. Neither of us got stung.

13010687_10100492999093183_7872442660746

12998471_10100492999143083_9128135307447

12990888_10100492999202963_2102547552800

• Like 1

On 4/17/2016 at 8:20 PM, Saxon said:

Interesting little critters. Not many people can claim to own swarms of things, Rassah. 

It's no different from being a cat lady. I just have a few more pets.

36 minutes ago, Wrecker said:

...did you give your bees a marshmallow?

It's a rolled up ball of fondant (the icing they use on fancy cakes). It's what you feed bees during the winter or cold periods, since sugar syrup would freeze. I bought a package of fondant last week, expecting to get them last weekend when it was freezing, but got them on this warm weekend instead, so just gave them a small treat instead.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Bees are really busy despite it being an overcast day. Can see the whole roof in this video

And a closeup of the action

They already filled the bottom box 4/3th of the way, so the next box will go on this week. Hopefully I'll remember to bring my tripod and record a video of checking them then, so you can see what the inside of one of these looks like.

• Like 2

Had quite a bit of an issue at the beehive today. Checked up on them at noon, and thought, "Wow, they're being really active today. Must be trying to fill up all the extra space in the new box."

13221561_10100511799502013_3519926493279

13245292_10100511799477063_2482488468558

Then I realized that oh crap! something isn't right here, my hive is being robbed by some other bees! (The ones with pollen pellets on their legs are mine, the others are not)
So I went home, grabbed my entrance reducer,

13239245_10100511799531953_9211119271165

and plugged the entrance to where it had just a small hole. The robbing bees started bunching up at the entrance, fighting to get in

13239442_10100511799571873_3459752676317
Eventually I plugged the entrance completely with some grass when most of my bees came back home.

13256369_10100511799666683_3635138338859

There are still some stragglers you can see with pollen pellets on their legs.

Later that night, found some stragglers underneath who didn't make it back in in time.

13220886_10100511799706603_8398040500532

Will have to try to catch them, probably with a plastic bag, and stick them into the top of the hive tomorrow morning. I'll have to keep the hive closed and plugged up for a few days, until the robbers give up and leave.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Bees survived the attacks. I ended up plugging the hive for the weekend, but it seems I was too late and they managed to kill my queen. When I checked on the hive the following weekend, it looked dreadfully empty. Very few bees and almost no capped cells with baby bees. A week later, though, the situation seems to have changed, and I had way more bees. Still very few capped larvae sells. Then the robbers came back the following week, but this time were pushed back. I checked the hive again last week, and Woot! My bees grew a new queen! So my hive survived that massive onslaught after all, even if it was really close that time. The frames are getting filled up with honey too. Top box is getting really heavy from it. I suspect I'll be able to start collecting some time in August after all.

Update on bee cams setup info:
Install an app called Sricam. Unfortunately you'll need to register an email and password to use it.

Once opened, the two cameras are:
Overall Hive
Device ID: 663698
Password: 1234

Hive Entrance
Device ID: 670143
Password: 1234

Unfortunately the WiFi signal is a bit weak still, so it may time out or lag a bit, especially if viewing in HD quality.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Unfortunate update. It took them 1.5 months to get a new queen, who never really started laying all that much. In the mean time the old bees kept dying out. Then another massive robbing attack basically cleaned out my entire hive and killed off 95% of my bees. No honey for them left to eat or to feed their young, or to survive the winter. I hoped maybe they could build up a little bit, and I could feed them syrup through the winter, but they kept getting weaker, and during today's inspection I found the hive was invested with wax moths. Cobwebs everywhere, and cocoons and little worm larva crawling around in places. What bees were left were taking up just two of the five remaining frames. So, since they can't even protect their hive any more, I took the thing apart and down. All the frames are in the freezer overnight to kill anything that may be left in there (specifically mites and moths). I'll leave the comb for the bees next year.

Luckily, moving the hive to our new house will be easier with no bees in it, and at the new house it will be right in my back yard, instead of 45+ minutes away, so I'll be able to stop any robbing issues right away.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rassah said:

Unfortunate update. It took them 1.5 months to get a new queen, who never really started laying all that much. In the mean time the old bees kept dying out. Then another massive robbing attack basically cleaned out my entire hive and killed off 95% of my bees. No honey for them left to eat or to feed their young, or to survive the winter. I hoped maybe they could build up a little bit, and I could feed them syrup through the winter, but they kept getting weaker, and during today's inspection I found the hive was invested with wax moths. Cobwebs everywhere, and cocoons and little worm larva crawling around in places. What bees were left were taking up just two of the five remaining frames. So, since they can't even protect their hive any more, I took the thing apart and down. All the frames are in the freezer overnight to kill anything that may be left in there (specifically mites and moths). I'll leave the comb for the bees next year.

Luckily, moving the hive to our new house will be easier with no bees in it, and at the new house it will be right in my back yard, instead of 45+ minutes away, so I'll be able to stop any robbing issues right away.

Wait a minute, you just gave up the opportunity for free lifetime wax ;(