Theological discussions

Toboe

Just now, Rhíulchabán said:

I think I found it with a simple google search, praise be:

hqdefault.jpg

I recognise that dog, if I'm not mistaken that's Niic, a furry musical artist. He's not bad at all.

Although I am concerned by the Bible licking. Nothing good ever comes from Bible licking.

32 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

What we need to find, is furry religion. There's gotta be one or two knocking around in the basement or something. Send someone down there armed with a big stick and see if it can round up a few of 'em.

Furries, our furry goddess and inventive Savior, the prophecized Divine MacGyver, Gadget Hackwrench!

gadget-hackwrench-cult.jpg.b48f7dfd0fd76

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Toboe said:

i get the handcuffs, you get CaptainCool and Ruk?

And maybe Roose as well.

8 hours ago, Toboe said:

Though I think weaning society of religion is the right way, just need to be wary of replacing it with something else with likewise problems.

The problem with that is humans are afraid of being considered just another speck in the universe, so religion will continue to exist in one form or another. Even if you stamp it out, it will continue to return and grow with  people who vehemently believe there is something more divine than a human being. 

4 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

What we need to find, is furry religion. There's gotta be one or two knocking around in the basement or something. Send someone down there armed with a big stick and see if it can round up a few of 'em.

Therianthropy and Otherkinism. :V

4 hours ago, ArielMT said:

Furries, our furry goddess and inventive Savior, the prophecized Divine MacGyver, Gadget Hackwrench!

gadget-hackwrench-cult.jpg.b48f7dfd0fd76

Okay so first of all, that man in front looks like he's got an SS outfit on with the black leather trench coat and boots. 

Second of all, please, please tell me that's photoshop.

Edited by Feelwell the Rabbit

5 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Okay so first of all, that man in front looks like he's got an SS outfit on with the black leather trench coat and boots.

I never noticed.

5 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Second of all, please, please tell me that's photoshop.

I wouldn't be telling the truth if I did.

2 hours ago, Rhíulchabán said:

The main problem is that as we have learned from psychology, the more you try to convince someone that what they believe is wrong, the more they will believe in what you are telling them to stop believing. 

Have you tried convincing any skeptics of this? ;3

Anyway, regards suggestions of wiccan, paganism, otherkin, scientology etc, I think that people have to be even more fanciful and gullible than usual to believe in these religions. It's like being the special snow flake who decides to worship Thor. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

Have you tried convincing any skeptics of this? ;3

Anyway, regards suggestions of wiccan, paganism, otherkin, scientology etc, I think that people have to be even more fanciful and gullible than usual to believe in these religions. It's like being the special snow flake who decides to worship Thor. 

It seems to me believing in younger deities, especially one that is the bestest most greatest biggest genitals of them all, is the true special snowflake here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clove Darkwave said:

It seems to me believing in younger deities, especially one that is the bestest most greatest biggest genitals of them all, is the true special snowflake here.

Yaweh is a selfish whore that does not like anyone putting other gods before him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

The problem with that is humans are afraid of being considered just another speck in the universe, so religion will continue to exist in one form or another. Even if you stamp it out, it will continue to return and grow with  people who vehemently believe there is something more divine than a human being. 

And if they don't turn to divine beings, they'll go for astrology, indigo children and so on.

No stamping, weaning! Reduce it's influence and give proper replacement.

7 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Yaweh is a selfish whore that does not like anyone putting other gods before him. 

You mean Yaweh enjoys it when you put other gods behind him? Well...to each his own. 

So what I'm getting at is that many people are indoctrinated into religion by their family and community. The familiarity and the religion's firm esconcement in their culture lend it false credibility. You can understand people being convinced by this. 

To believe in the Pagan gods, crystal balls, fortune telling, magical hexes and so forth one has to deliberately go out of their way in order to find magical bull plop to believe in. You have to be a special kind of gullible. 

Edited by Saxon

Also, on the subject of 'Yahweh' being the anglicised version of Ywh, I find 'Yehoweh' a more convincing interpretation, because it's more parsimonious with 'Jehovah'. 

Similar pronunciation shifts have occured with other hebrew words, Like 'Yeshua', 'Jesua' 'Joshua' [all words for Jesus]. 

He is a closeted gay God. 

You're a closeted gay God.

Edited by Saxon

23 minutes ago, Rhíulchabán said:

Yes, they generally get angry as well because stupidity isn't stuck on one side of the spectrum.

Lol, I figured that was your viewpoint based on your previous thread, everyone can have their opinions, that's the beauty of them. I'll just keep on keeping on, I quite like worshiping the Gods I follow, I find it a positive aspect in my life. It's no worse than being an atheistic edgelord or a cuckservitive monotheist, it all gets pretty nasty if you look at it with a negative worldview, but then again, this is a religion thread on a furry forum, so that is to be expected.

(I'm not sure if you missed the implicit paradox that was the subject of the joke?)

Anyway, the thing which I find confusing about a lot of snow-flake spiritualists' perspectives is that they've clearly selected beliefs because they find them amusing and comforting, rather than because they think there's good reason to show those beliefs are reliable. 

I think that muddling entertainment and belief together is a big mistake; can we not just play pretend honestly? 

Hesitant to post an actual discussion in threads like this since past threads have just been used for mockery, ridicule and such. Are there people that actually want to have a real discussion?

I'll just throw this out there since I am more than likely one of the few here. I am a Christian, I believe in Scripture. All of it.

I joked about the eldritch horror on the last page, but I'm actually not unconvinced that if there is a god, it's not some crazy monster and we are all horribly, horribly wrong. I mean, I maybe read too much Lovecraft, but if you got a thing with enough power to create the universe and life, you sure as hell can't fathom it.

"God works in mysterious ways."

We know nothing. NOTHING!

And I don't trust anything with that much power to be benevolent simply because that's a fun option to hope for.

1 minute ago, Rukh Whitefang said:

Hesitant to post an actual discussion in threads like this since past threads have just been used for mockery, ridicule and such. Are there people that actually want to have a real discussion?

I'll just throw this out there since I am more than likely one of the few here. I am a Christian, I believe in Scripture. All of it.

It's mixed. Had something serious about the Old Testament (~whether those rules still count or if they have been replaced by Jesus). Something about the role of in society/meaning to the believer of Religion (of varying degrees of serious argument). And some dicking around.

On 3/23/2016 at 5:54 PM, Rukh Whitefang said:

22 minutes ago, Rhíulchabán said:

Why else would you do anything than because you like it? Kind of dumb and masochistic to do things you don't like. Reliability isn't teally the point, I think this is more a case of "I dun liek this, u can't liek this or ur dum" than anything else, but thanks for sharing your opinions.

If you find enchanted crystals and haunted houses entertaining then that's fine; I do too, I just don't need to convince myself that they actually exist in order to enjoy them. 

Reliability is the point of beliefs and we need to believe in plenty of unpleasant and undesirable things so that we understand how our world works; it's not just 'dumb and masochistic' to believe that getting sunburnt increases your risk of melanoma.

You acknowledged this yourself when you recommended people curtail their fanciful beliefs if they begin to get in the way of established science, for instance. 

So the sky is a transparent dome that holds an ocean above it, with vents placed in the dome to allow the ocean to fall through as rain? ._. 

"And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so."

Edited by Saxon

1 hour ago, Toboe said:

It's mixed. Had something serious about the Old Testament (~whether those rules still count or if they have been replaced by Jesus). Something about the role of in society/meaning to the believer of Religion (of varying degrees of serious argument).

Yeah I saw those posts and honestly I couldn't disagree more with all of them. The OT isn't just there for historical context. Its there because its just as important as the rest of the Bible. Everything in the OT points forwards to Jesus.

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

So the sky is a transparent dome that holds an ocean above it, with vents placed in the dome to allow the ocean to fall through as rain? ._. 

"And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so."

I hope I don't need to point out that some Scripture is poetic. Its also a very good practice to use context when reading Scripture, so see what it says before and after the passage in question. In regards to Genesis chapter 1, verse 6 you quoted. Here is 1: 6-8.

Then God said, “Let there be a space between the waters, to separate the waters of the heavens from the waters of the earth.” 7 And that is what happened. God made this space to separate the waters of the earth from the waters of the heavens. 8 God called the space “sky. Using the NLT

And evening passed and morning came, marking the second day.

First what does firmament (KJV) or space (NLT) mean. What was the word being translated from in ancient Hebrew. Raqia is whats being translated here. Using Strong's Concordance you can see the definition is an extended surface, an expanse. What definition of the heavens are being used in the passage? Is the heavens being used to reference God's dwelling place or the heavens as the expanse of the sky? These are some of the other questions that should be asked. Without even digging very deep a possible conclusion could be that the expanse of the sky is being spoken of. The waters of the earth being water on the surface and the waters of the heavens being clouds and precipitation.

Really Saxon I expect a bit better to be honest, the lets pick up a Bible passage without context gets really, really old.

Edited by Rukh Whitefang

7 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

@Rukh Whitefang I'd like to hear your reasoning for your religion being provably younger than other religions in the world, why you agree with the idea it attempts to portray in that all others are false.

Christianity itself and its age? Christianity is a fulfillment of Judaism in a nutshell. But belief in God goes all the way back to the beginning in Genesis with Adam and Eve and those who followed. Its recorded that early of offerings being made to God in adoration and worship.  Noah has been called a man of faith, same with Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. And they all existed before the time of Moses when the 10 Commandments and Levitical laws were written. So, my response is faith in God is as old as creation itself. And that basis is they all believed in the same promise. The promise that God said He would send someone to save His people.

Edit: Just realized I didn't answer the second half of your question, sorry about that. In regards as to why I agree with only one way for salvation, its because I firmly believe that truth cannot contradict itself. There cannot be multiple contradictory ways to heaven in my opinion. Jesus stated quite clearly "I am the way the truth and the life, no one can come to the Father except through me."

Edited by Rukh Whitefang
Finishing answering the question

17 minutes ago, Rukh Whitefang said:

Yeah I saw those posts and honestly I couldn't disagree more with all of them. The OT isn't just there for historical context. Its there because its just as important as the rest of the Bible. Everything in the OT points forwards to Jesus.

So,~ OT is amended/extended by Jesus?

11 minutes ago, Toboe said:

So,~ OT is amended/extended by Jesus?

Jesus is the fulfillment of the old covenant in Mosiac (Levitical) Law. However that doesn't mean its useless or thrown away. Such as God's moral laws, those still stand as they cannot be fulfilled. Ceremonial laws were fulfilled because Jesus was/is the final sacrifice. There is still much to learn in the OT. An example would be the laws around what kind of clothes the priests could wear. Found I believe in Leviticus chapter 21. It appears to be mind numbing details on the fabric type and colors. Most would ignore it and move on. However, reading earlier you would have read that the same fabric was used to built the Tent of the Lord. So these High Priests were like walking temples of the Lord. They were a walking reminder to the rest of the populace of the Laws of the Lord. And that sounds very familiar because that is exactly stated to the church in Corinth by Paul (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

Edited by Rukh Whitefang

4 minutes ago, Rukh Whitefang said:

Christianity itself and its age? Christianity is a fulfillment of Judaism in a nutshell. But belief in God goes all the way back to the beginning in Genesis with Adam and Eve and those who followed. Its recorded that early of offerings being made to God in adoration and worship.  Noah has been called a man of faith, same with Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. And they all existed before the time of Moses when the 10 Commandments and Levitical laws were written. So, my response is faith in God is as old as creation itself. And that basis is they all believed in the same promise. The promise that God said He would send someone to save His people.

But those ideas are more than three thousand years younger than the writings and ideas of Kemetic belief. According to them, Atum arose from the watery abyssal chaos Nu (or Nun) and from there he created Shu and Tefnut who from there created Nut and Geb who are all together along with their children responsible for keeping the order of creation so that Ma'at is upheld.

Geb was in the hearts and minds of humanity for longer than Yaweh or any other name you wish to call Him has even been an idea. So please answer my question rather than dodging it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rukh Whitefang said:

Are there people that actually want to have a real discussion?

No, because any thread concerning religion horrendously mutates into a jizz-encrusted circle fap with a dense throng of snarky, jeering atheists patting each other on the back while grilling the shit out of a petite collection of theists desperately trying to defend their faith.

Throw in Saxon and CaptainCool into the mix and the thread won't get past page one before disparaging statements like, "you believe in fairytales!" or, "organized religion has no place in a technologically sophisticated first world country at all!" start sprouting up all over the place.

And in an utterly vain attempt to usher in a modicum of rationality to a discussion that will not, does not, and never will go anywhere worthwhile, I appear--right on cue--to humbly inform everyone that religiosity has a particularly robust genetic foundation to it and that castigating theists for their beliefs is about as pointless as gays trying to wipe out all homophobia (more genes), the progressive left trying to eradicate racism (human condition/genes), or feminist-aligned women overthrowing the tyrannical world patriarchy that is restricting humanity's escalation to godhood (more genes, more human condition, and a dash of exceedingly effective propaganda).

Inevitably, Saxon makes one hell of a long-winded post to basically inform me that I am unequivocally wrong in my assertions and that I should go sit in a corner.

The discussion then continues unabated until some mod comes along and locks fucking everything.

Edited by I Did It For The Cat Girls
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, I Did It For The Cat Girls said:

No, because any thread concerning religion horrendously mutates into a jizz-encrusted circle fap with a dense throng of snarky, jeering atheists patting each other on the back while grilling the hell out of a petite collection of theists desperately trying to defend their faith.

Throw in Fallowfox and CaptainCool into the mix and the thread won't get past page one before disparaging statements like, "you believe in fairytales!" or, "organized religion has no place in a technologically sophisticated first world country at all!" start popping up all over the place.

And in an utterly vain attempt to usher in a modicum of rationality to a discussion that will not, does not, and never will go anywhere worthwhile, I appear--right on cue--to humbly inform everyone that religiosity has a particularly robust genetic foundation to it and that castigating theists for their beliefs is about as pointless as gays trying to wipe out all homophobia, the progressive left trying to eradicate racism, or feminist-aligned women overthrowing the tyrannical world patriarchy that is restricting humanity's escalation to godhood.

Inevitably, Saxon makes one hell of a long-winded post to basically inform me that I am unequivocally wrong in my assertions and that I should go sit in a corner.

The discussion then continues unabated until a mod comes along and locks fucking everything.

That seems like a pretty solid reason.

14 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

But those ideas are more than three thousand years younger than the writings and ideas of Kemetic belief. According to them, Atum arose from the watery abyssal chaos Nu (or Nun) and from there he created Shu and Tefnut who from there created Nut and Geb who are all together along with their children responsible for keeping the order of creation so that Ma'at is upheld.

Geb was in the hearts and minds of humanity for longer than Yaweh or any other name you wish to call Him has even been an idea. So please answer my question rather than dodging it.

The age of the writings of Genesis don't mean the belief in God is only that old though. Noah, Abraham, Issac, Jacob, they all believed in God and followed Him and they lived far before Moses did (who is believed to have written the book of Genesis). Like I stated belief in God goes all the way back to the beginning of creation. 

If your looking for an actual date or timeframe that can open a whole different discussion. When did Abraham exist? We know he was the tenth generation from Noah but further from that its hard to say. Even harder to ascertain when Cain or Able existed (first recorded offering of worship to God). So again belief in God has existed since creation began. I am not sure hows that is dogging a question. Its also worth noting that we are basing on manuscripts, what is written. We cannot know how old oral tradition is. We know Adam and Eve passed down the knowledge of God but clearly that wasn't written down in a manuscript, it was passed down orally.

Edited by Rukh Whitefang

3 hours ago, Clove Darkwave said:

Just to reinforce Clove's post, even Yoruba and Sumerian mythos were seeped people's hearts and minds long before Christianity came to being. 

So here's a fun game I like to play with my religious friends.  Hypothetical game, let say tomorrow morning there is an announcement that archaeologists have found a letter from Jesus (or Mohammad, or whoever your savior is) saying "Hey sorry dudes, I actually made it all up, I'm just a regular guy but I tried to do my best.  Peace out."  The letter is verified authentic because it has Jesus's DNA and Gmail password (or whatever proof you will accept for authenticity).  How does that new information change your perception of your savior?  If your answer is "OMG what is the TRUE path!!!!!!!" I believe you have failed.  I think that we get so caught up in the unverifiable mythology surrounding any religion that we forget to see what our saviors were really saying.  I too believe in the teachings of Jesus, but I don't know if he was a man or a god or an alien or whatever, and I don't really care. The answer to this questions will not effect my view of his philosophical teachings of love, kindness, and peace.  To argue over the truth of heaven and hell and miracles and angles and karma and spirits is fun, but completely pointless, because ultimately you can't know and you can't do anything about it. 

We are all men, and we are all gods.

-The Tao of Strongbob 

Which brings up the questions of proof outside the belief system.

The change of idea, in written and in oral culture.

And the question of what makes an idea/belief-system itself, how much it can change and still be considered the same. 

• Like 1