Bernie Sanders Supporters are a Cult

Toshabi

• 2 weeks later...

Did ya'll hear about the Pope inviting Sanders for a visit to the Vatican? The first presidential candidate this  election season to be invited over there.  Oh how the conservatives/republicans must be furious. 

Big news for Catholics or people with Catholic parents/friends I suppose. ;3

Edited by Butters

This just in: Some people are idiots, even when supporting politics.

I prefer Sanders to Clinton because many of Sanders proposals are concepts that are needed, even if the specific numbers proposed are optimistic. Should Clinton win the primary, she'll get my vote as well, but would prefer Sanders.

18 minutes ago, Summercat said:

I prefer Sanders to Clinton because many of Sanders proposals are concepts that are needed, even if the specific numbers proposed are optimistic. Should Clinton win the primary, she'll get my vote as well, but would prefer Sanders.

I think you mean "concepts that are Communist."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Summercat said:

Next you'll be proposing decent public health care, you dirty commie ;V

10 hours ago, #00Buck said:

I think you mean "concepts that are Communist."

Sanders supports a society without the interference of a state? That's news.

16 hours ago, Butters said:

Did ya'll hear about the Pope inviting Sanders for a visit to the Vatican? The first presidential candidate this  election season to be invited over there.  Oh how the conservatives/republicans must be furious. 

Big news for Catholics or people with Catholic parents/friends I suppose. ;3

At least the Republican candidates can't cry out that Sanders is attempting to bring religion into politics. Many Republicans are, however, crying out that Pope Francis is bringing politics into religion. It appears that they forget the past millennium-and-a-half of the papacy's history.

This pope seems to be able to bring out all of the hatred for Catholics the South has managed to keep.

14 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

Sanders supports a society without the interference of a state? That's news.

At least the Republican candidates can't cry out that Sanders is attempting to bring religion into politics. Many Republicans are, however, crying out that Pope Francis is bringing politics into religion. It appears that they forget the past millennium-and-a-half of the papacy's history.

This pope seems to be able to bring out all of the hatred for Catholics the South has managed to keep.

Republicans can't fathom the idea of having a non-Christian president, though?

7 hours ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

Next you'll be proposing decent public health care, you dirty commie ;V

Because of the ACA I'm able to get the medication I need to live, not just exist and muddle along.

I needed to be on this medication all of my life, but my mother took me off of it because it was too expensive for us to afford, and thus for 16+years I've been off it. Had I been on the proper medication I would have been a much more productive person, a better student, and gotten a better paying job - and by now I would have paid far more in taxes than the government would have ever spent on me for my medical issues.

Prevention and Maintenance is always cheaper than repair, in the long run.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

Republicans can't fathom the idea of having a non-Christian president, though?

Some of them can't even fathom the idea of having a non-run-of-the-mill-protestant president.

I knew many Republicans that were criticizing Carson for his brand of Christianity. They're relieved he is no longer running.

4 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

Some of them can't even fathom the idea of having a non-run-of-the-mill-protestant president.

I knew many Republicans that were criticizing Carson for his brand of Christianity. They're relieved he is no longer running.

And Rmoney's Mormonism. And the various Catholics. 

I prefer to pray to the gods of baseball because of the squirrels that run around on the field

at least the gods of baseball will never steal my money under the guise of giving me free things because im an entitled little shit

Edited by Gamedog

Bernie seems alright. He just attracts a lot of... "Occupy Wall Street" people, as in, "I'm 60k in debt with a degree in basket weaving, IS THIS THE AMERICAN DREAM".

I'd like to think screenshot guy was trolling, but some people really do feel that entitled...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Flake said:

Bernie seems alright. He just attracts a lot of... "Occupy Wall Street" people, as in, "I'm 60k in debt with a degree in basket weaving, IS THIS THE AMERICAN DREAM".

I'd like to think screenshot guy was trolling, but some people really do feel that entitled...

i ATTENTED COLLEGE AND I HAVE A MASTERS IN WOMEN'S STUDIES

WHY AM I LIVING IN POVERTY???

TAX THE RICH!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gamedog said:

i ATTENTED COLLEGE AND I HAVE A MASTERS IN WOMEN'S STUDIES

WHY AM I LIVING IN POVERTY???

TAX THE RICH!!!

Surprisingly enough,women's studies majors can make 25-50% more than the average when one looks at the careers most likely to include this type of liberal arts major and those that actually do. Those that double major or earn a graduate degree stand to make even more. Most women's studies majors don't aim to make money, though, and plenty go on to work with humanitarian non-profits for relatively low salaries.

Even more, since 2008, there is a good chance that a person graduating with such a liberal arts degree will actually make more than an architect upon graduation. That's the nature of the market combined with training in a niche skill, I guess.

This is just the BLS speaking, though, One's gut may speak more loudly.

Edited by MalletFace
It is so easy to hit 1 before writing out percents.
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2016 at 6:24 PM, MalletFace said:

Surprisingly enough,women's studies majors can make 25-50% more than the average when one looks at the careers most likely to include this type of liberal arts major and those that actually do. Those that double major or earn a graduate degree stand to make even more. Most women's studies majors don't aim to make money, though, and plenty go on to work with humanitarian non-profits for relatively low salaries.

Even more, since 2008, there is a good chance that a person graduating with such a liberal arts degree will actually make more than an architect upon graduation. That's the nature of the market combined with training in a niche skill, I guess.

In addition, there was a healthy dose of bullshit through the 90s and early aughts about "Just go to college and get a degree in anything!", sold by the same people who now deride any degree that's not STEM. 

The thing about college degrees is that they're supposed to show a well rounded and good basic grounding in a range of subjects. That's why you have to take classes unrelated to your major - college isn't supposed to be a training school for industries. 

That is why "Liberal Arts" majors end up doing well when pairing it with some other knowledge or skill. 

But merge the "You need to get a college and get a degree in anything!" bullshit, the simultaneous fall of government funding of higher schools and the rise of easily available credit resulting in the moving of funding sources for most colleges and universities to be through the student (and thus have to attract students), and then also the super-depressed wages/labor market since 2007/8?

You end up with a lot of people that were given bad advice at a young age by people in a position of trust or authority, and then are mocked by those very people for following their advice. If someone told me to do something in apparent good faith, then mocks me when I follow it to the letter and it doesn't work out, I'd be a bit angry too.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go back to college. Going to try to take a few classes during the summer session, maybe some during the fall depending on how moving will be handled. Going to work towards getting my damned degree.

• Like 3

There my friends go again, saying that if Bernie doesn't win the nomination they won't vote for anyone. I guess they're okay with Trump becoming president, then, which may happen if NO millennials come out and vote.

I have no problem with people supporting the candidate they think is best, but stop worshiping him like he's the second coming of Jesus. I'm seriously re-evaluating my friends circles.

Edited by Crazy Lee

On 4/12/2016 at 2:24 AM, MalletFace said:

From recently released news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36028368

It appears medicine, law and economics are the degrees most likely to result in a large salary. Most graduates earn more than non-graduates.

Mass communication, creative arts, that sort of thing, is the least profitable. 

Alas I know too many students who studied theatre or fine art, who have ended up working either as waiters or 'freelance' (code for 'dependent on daddy').

Edited by Saxon

5 minutes ago, Saxon said:

It appears medicine, law and economics are the degrees most likely to result in a large salary. Most graduates earn more than non-graduates.

Alas I know too many students who studied theatre or fine art, who have ended up working either as waiters or 'freelance' (code for 'dependent on daddy').

People don't realize that having a degree isn't a "make six-figures free" card.

21 hours ago, Saxon said:

I was pointing out that such a liberal arts degree was not a guarantee of poverty, that there are elements outside of an individual's control, and that profit is not necessarily the point. That it required me to focus on money because so many focus on money was not my desire. I will still lean towards the BLS for data on the U.S., though. I can see several places where what the IFS has found in the U.K. differs from what the BLS and NCES have found in the U.S.

It should also be noted that there is a very distinct line between fine/creative arts and liberal arts.

5 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

I was pointing out that such a liberal arts degree was not a guarantee of poverty, that there are elements outside of an individual's control, and that profit is not necessarily the point. That it required me to focus on money because so many focus on money was not my desire. I will still lean towards the BLS for data on the U.S., though. I can see several places where what the IFS has found in the U.K. differs from what the BLS and NCES have found in the U.S.

It should also be noted that there is a very distinct line between fine/creative arts and liberal arts.

We don't really call things 'liberal arts' in the UK. I'm not sure if our notion of 'humanities' would be an appropriate substitution. 

Just now, Saxon said:

We don't really call things 'liberal arts' in the UK. I'm not sure if our notion of 'humanities' would be an appropriate substitution. 

No idea. Here, humanities are courses or programs which study the experience of being human: film, art, literature, sociology, religion, history, etc. Liberal arts programs usually include the humanities, but only as part of a general education that includes mathematics, natural science, and psychology. Most B.A. programs and many B.S. programs here are founded in liberal arts traditions.

It is a shame that the use of 'liberal arts' has faded in the U.K., then. Even using the term 'liberal arts' is a great way to introduce students to the history of education in Europe and the U.S.

2 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

No idea. Here, humanities are courses or programs which study the experience of being human: film, art, literature, sociology, religion, history, etc. Liberal arts programs usually include the humanities, but only as part of a general education that includes mathematics, natural science, and psychology. Most B.A. programs and many B.S. programs here are founded in liberal arts traditions.

It is a shame that the use of 'liberal arts' has faded in the U.K., then. Even using the term 'liberal arts' is a great way to introduce students to the history of education in Europe and the U.S.

British degrees are more focused. I study the natural sciences and a cursory amount of mathematics. There are no 'minors'. 

8 minutes ago, Saxon said:

British degrees are more focused. I study the natural sciences and a cursory amount of mathematics. There are no 'minors'. 

Different values, I guess.

Especially in the South, there is a tradition of going to school just to 'get educated' in general, and focusing the education only took place after you had been within the school for some time. That, or your rich father forced you into law or medicine. I can't imagine an average undergraduate education that was not broad or flexible, actually. Even Duke University - a school with a highly focused curriculum for the area - requires many general education classes and encourages medical students to use their electives to reach into the liberal arts.

I'm not sure the 'minor' thing is very different in anything but name, though. Many universities will not allow you to minor in something that is not related to your major. For example, a nearby university allows physics with a minor in economics, physics with a minor in astronomy, physics with a minor in statistics, and no other minors for physics. It can get rather complicated with less focused programs, however.

I guess all of this plays into whether or not state education should be provided without direct fee, though.