Star Fox Zero

TrishaCat

You know, getting all the medals in Zero seems like it's gonna take a healthy amount of time. And then there's the training missions, the arcade mode and hard mode... The amount of content seems small, but there's a solid amount of replay value here.

I watched a playthrough of Assault today, which is actually the first time I've seen the game in its entirety. It's got just the right amount of seriousness and cheesiness that I find so endearing, and the art and music direction is great. That and Zero make me think, Star Fox is awesome! I'm definitely getting more into the series as a whole, when before I would've said, while I like the characters, I'm not so much into the gameplay.

I just tried playing the first stage, Aquarosa and Wolf's stage without having the Wii U hooked up to the TV, and I didn't have a hard time with it! This is an awesome revelation for me, since the Wii U feels so much more 'pick up and play' when there's no TV involved. Switching views with the minus button might arguably be easier than looking up at the TV, too.

Took out my N64 to play Starfox since I don't feel like unlocking Expert on my PC. Man, is there official art of all the bosses? Did they show anything for 643D? The Gorgon and Meteo Crusher are really nice machines. I feel like StarFox bosses don't get enough praise. Most of them are really swell designs and menacing concepts.

Also, the hype as fuck boss music.

And then when shit got real

Man I love the N64's sample system.  Nintendo knew how to pick the best samples, and work with what they had.  Now they just go full orchestral, shit sucks.

Also, why does the cartridge have different art from the box?  Is it the only game to have different art from box to cartridge?

I played Starfox Assault for the first time since 2010. Game hasn't aged a day. Sound quality still reminds me of being at the movies. Vehicle art direction is still beautiful. Gorgeous 60 FPS flight sections. Controls tighter than Krystal's cobalt ass. And yeah, Krys's useless, but fine self still being...fine. 

May be on the short side, but that was the game.

Also having Xevious in your game makes it better by about a galaxy. It's not debatable. Just science. 

I remember seeing Assault in a Gamestop Gamecube kiosk, and I was blown away by the visual presentation, the animations for the pilots, the smooth as hell gameplay, and the boss (someone who was referred to as an Andross wannabe) having a very expressive set of gestures and animations.  That game was truly next gen, that game showed off what Nintendo's cute little cube could really do.

...then came the on-foot sections, running as slow as mole asses.  That alone turned me off from the rest of the game, otherwise I would've bought it and played it over and over again.  I remember one reviewer complaining about the controls because it wasn't like Halo, I'd say that was the least of the section's problems.

I still hold the notion that Assault's sexy Star Wolf theme won't be topped for me no matter how hard they try...

Unless they do it in Sega Genesis style probably. Actually let me see if there's a good rendition of that.

EDIT: Naw.

Edited by XoPachi
my poor ears
  • Like 1

For fucking once, someone posted something that WASN'T Metal Squad.  Thank heavens, lord knows I got tired of hearing that all the time.

*click video*
*DA NA, NA-*
*exit video*

Edit:  With this being post #256, I have officially graduated from 8-bit integer to 16-bit integer.  Whoo!

I noticed a cool detail in the Arwing that I don't remember ever seeing in the completed version. At around 6:35 he picks up a laser power up and the under fuselage expands to open to the guns. That's a nice attention to detail. They seem to really do that a lot with the Arwings in most games. I was told by a friend that in Starfox Assault, the engines have a slight pivot when turning in space, but in an atmosphere, the wings elevators guide airflow to turn the craft. I recall Zero doing the same minus pivoting engines.

I've been playing Star Fox Guard. It's, a game. There's like, achievements, and I'm like, gotta get 'em all! (tm) but then I'm like, I dunno man, do I really wanna invest this much time into this game? It's not a bad game at all, but like, it already feels like it's a fifty year old game 'cause no one's talking about it.

19 minutes ago, SirRob said:

I would like a Star Fox movie that focuses on the love triangle between Fox McCloud, Falco Lombardi and Wolf O'Donnell. Obviously it would be sexually explicit.

Got me thinking. While I don't want you know...THIS^, I feel that should AFIS play around with the light romance that's gone on in the StarFox franchise, I hope they do something interesting. The same sort of seriousness the first episode has. If they choose to bring in Krystal and make her Fox's girlfriend, I don't want it to be this smooth, Disney-esque relationship. And I wouldn't want her to be this perfect thing. Maybe she's just like Fox. Short tempered, frustrated, maybe a bit upset about something that she's not ready to talk about until a key point in the plot. I like that the cast is generally imperfect group and want that aspect carried over should they play with the concept of love. Nothing overdramatic, but Fox and Krystal really struggling to find what they want from one another in the long run but they know they want something out of being together. Some arguments. Clash of ideas. Just a bit of rockiness here and there is all.

Like an episode with a side plot where one is pissed at the other and it causes friction between the entire group during the main plot. Things they have to work through and isn't poorly written like in Command. Or maybe it doesn't have to be Fox and Krystal. Maybe Kat and Falco. Maybe Miyu and someone else. Maybe a new character for Star Wolf. Maybe someone actually IS gay or is wondering if they are. Hell I don't know.

Of course, that's IF they choose to play this route. I'm not asking for romance just the consistency of the overall gritty theme if it becomes a thing.

9 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Got me thinking. While I don't want you know...THIS^, I feel that should AFIS play around with the light romance that's gone on in the StarFox franchise, I hope they do something interesting. The same sort of seriousness the first episode has. If they choose to bring in Krystal and make her Fox's girlfriend, I don't want it to be this smooth, Disney-esque relationship. And I wouldn't want her to be this perfect thing. Maybe she's just like Fox. Short tempered, frustrated, maybe a bit upset about something that she's not ready to talk about until a key point in the plot. I like that the cast is generally imperfect group and want that aspect carried over should they play with the concept of love. Nothing overdramatic, but Fox and Krystal really struggling to find what they want from one another in the long run but they know they want something out of being together. Some arguments. Clash of ideas. Just a bit of rockiness here and there is all.

Like an episode with a side plot where one is pissed at the other and it causes friction between the entire group during the main plot. Things they have to work through and isn't poorly written like in Command. Or maybe it doesn't have to be Fox and Krystal. Maybe Kat and Falco. Maybe Miyu and someone else. Maybe a new character for Star Wolf. Maybe someone actually IS gay or is wondering if they are. Hell I don't know.

Of course, that's IF they choose to play this route. I'm not asking for romance just the consistency of the overall gritty theme if it becomes a thing.

I'm sure if there was romance, it'd be gay. I'm pretty sure the creator is gay, judging from his FA. And also considering I don't think there's even a single female character in the entire animation

1 minute ago, XoPachi said:

Forget what I said then.

I mean it's POSSIBLE... I do remember looking at one of his submissions on FA and seeing a Fox x Wolf picture and the description was like, 'this isn't gonna happen in the animation'

I'm sharing Luigiix's stuff again because he does my favorite Starfox fan shit and is one of the few people who consistently draws a swell Krystal. Been following him since 2012. (Also the only artist that makes me like a slender figure as opposed to thick and hearty, just something about how he does it).

http://luigiix.deviantart.com/ I am SO sorry he doesn't seem to operate outside this site.

starfox_bh_team_complete_by_luigiix-d7t6

A fan project he had. Sharpclaw is Rocket, Wolf boi is Ancient (should be Asshole judging from his bio), boib is Ying. 

come_with_me_by_luigiix-d76avss.jpg

the_perfect_gift_by_luigiix-d4pvm9i.jpg

^Clearly older, but it's till cute.

And that's enough embedded images, but this fucked my shit up. Cutest face I've seen him draw.

Is this now a thread about a bunch of Fox's wanting to bang Fox? 

I was going to say that I actually sort of like Zero's controls and oddly appreciate them doing something weird and different, but I'd much rather talk about Wolf sexually tormenting Fox, sure. 

• Like 1

On 15.5.2016 at 6:26 PM, XoPachi said:

I was told by a friend that in Starfox Assault, the engines have a slight pivot when turning in space, but in an atmosphere, the wings elevators guide airflow to turn the craft. I recall Zero doing the same minus pivoting engines.

Thrust vectoring. Makes sense! In space the control surfaces are useless so you need some way to turn the craft. RCS, reaction wheels and thrust vectoring are being used for real spacecrafts as well.