Things that you love! v2

Sar

8 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Writing Letters. I've started writing actual letters to a few furry friends, and it's a great deal of fun. I have my fancy pens, stationary, envelopes, stamps and what not all organized in my desk now, and it's so fun to get things in the mail, written in a friend's handwriting. Also, I like to decorate the envelopes, make collages, and such, have fun with it.

Anyone else write letters, here, now, or in the past?

I've always wanted to do that! I tend to drop in and out of being online every three or so months, so a lot of my contacts are like internet penpals. It'd be nice to send real letters and stuff to them. I'd like to send sweets you can only get here or something.

8 hours ago, Moogle said:

I love the idea of doing this! It's not as fast or convenient as an email, but so much more personal and exciting. I've considered doing this, but never sure how to go about asking for someone's address without looking like such a creeper. Maybe they'll ask first if I wait long enough? :P

Ah that fine between doing something sweet and going full on stalker. Shouldn't be a problem if you tell them why! I'm sure you have a few friends who'd be really excited to get a letter from you.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Osrik said:

This really cool open air bookstore I went to today called Bart's Books (my pictures didn't come out all that great, so here's one from online):39df74ec-4ce0-4b86-ac03-ae2c234467bf.jpg

It had a very wide selection of books, including a large sci-fi/fantasy section (something that is sadly rare in many used book stores) as well as some interesting history books on more obscure topics. I enjoyed looking through their selection, and was able to get a boxed set of a series I have been meaning to read for relatively cheap,

But what if it rains?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LazerMaster5 said:

But what if it rains?

Oddly, it hardly ever rains out there!

~

Here: I love the feeling of having a new furry friend, who is close-bye, and has some very frisky paws! My moods haven't been this good in a long time. Hardly anything even bothers me, and I'm just kinda on cloud nine, much of the time, daydreaming...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LazerMaster5 said:

But what if it rains?

I was contemplating the same question when I went there, and actually meant to ask them, but was them distracted by books...

The area it is located in is very arid, and most of the actual bookshelves are under at least plastic roofing, so they probably just put up tarps if it actually rains.

• Like 1

The Getty Villa:

tmp_10314-20161017_154415286769704.jpg

Not only was it a beautiful reproduction of a Roman villa (including some detailed Roman style mosaics and paintings), but it also contained a large collection of Roman and Greek artefacts, including some really impressive and detailed glass and metalwork, as well as a large collection of Roman mosaics from various corners of the empire.

Probably the most surprising exhibit was the one on Roman mummies, as apparently there was a wave of Egyptmania among Romans after the conquest, so being embalmed was all the rage. The Romans did add their own unique touch to the process; a detailed portrait of the deceased was affixed directly to the outside of the mummy's wrapping.

Also, some Roman burds:

tmp_10314-20161017_152050805416765.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrGravitas said:

One if the other new folks brought in donuts today! For no reason!

Hope he/she remembers to take out the soon to be empty box ASAP to spare you and your coworkers from the temptation to peek in to see if there's any left. Giving false hope is the worst :v

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Revates said:

That's kinda cool, smarties are completely different over here:

smartiescanada1.jpg

(I really love those lollies as well though)

Yeah, over here Smarties are a very tart and crunchy candy. Though I swear, Ive also seen these chocolate Nestlé ones at a convenience/pharmacy store at some point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Yeah, over here Smarties are a very tart and crunchy candy. Though I swear, Ive also seen these chocolate Nestlé ones at a convenience/pharmacy store at some point.

I can't think of what we call your smarties, I'm sure it's something different. But as for the Nestle ones, they're fairly common over here, pretty similar to M&Ms and are fairly popular, I think.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Revates said:

I can't think of what we call your smarties, I'm sure it's something different. But as for the Nestle ones, they're fairly common over here, pretty similar to M&Ms and are fairly popular, I think.

Wonka makes something similar called sweetarts. I think that's the spelling.

• Like 2

Darn, @Moogle beat me to it. Yeah, they're Rockets over here and when you drop them in soda it makes it fiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzz... then it goes flat.

4 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Wonka makes something similar called sweetarts. I think that's the spelling.

Sweet Tarts are bigger and have little love messages on them.

6 minutes ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

I'm officially below 9 stone. Almost half way to my goal weight!

Silly British and their silly weight system based on arbitrary things.

"We'll make a weight system based on stones."
"How will we determine the weight of a stone."
"A stone of weight is the weight of one large stone. This one, specifically."
"But what about that stone over there. it's a little lighter."
"No, it has to be THIS stone. The king orders it."

*goes back to his imperial system*

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

Silly British and their silly weight system based on arbitrary things.

"We'll make a weight system based on stones."
"How will we determine the weight of a stone."
"A stone of weight is the weight of one large stone. This one, specifically."
"But what about that stone over there. it's a little lighter."
"No, it has to be THIS stone. The king orders it."

*goes back to his imperial system*

True but my weight in lbs is less of a "landmark" =)

• Like 1

I've been doing some reading about cell regrowth in the cochlear. Apparently it's something that scientists are actually trying to do to cure hearing loss. My own loss was caused by an infection at an early age that destroyed the cochlear hairs making me go all deaf.

I kinda wish I could donate myself as a guinea pig so they can try it out on my right ear, which is totally useless.

So yeah, I guess that's something I love. HOPE

buuut this may only work for a small percentage of people.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

This. It's always refreshing when someone with an outside perspective knows the fandom better than many in it.

He needs to be rushed to the nearest competent barber or salon! And somebody needs to hide his pomade!

Just...
the feeling you get being around years old friends.

that true feeling of love

nothing sexually charged, no romantic connection, but still being able to truly love them

it's a fantastic feeling

3 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

This. It's always refreshing when someone with an outside perspective knows the fandom better than many in it.

I'm glad i'm featured in this piece of garbage with some dumb shit I said.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Falaffel said:

Just...
the feeling you get being around years old friends.

that true feeling of love

nothing sexually charged, no romantic connection, but still being able to truly love them

it's a fantastic feeling

I truly envy you in this regard. No one loves me like that.