Things that you love! v2

Sar

I've just finished the most stressful term I've had so far. After spending the last few weeks thinking I was going to fail, I got As in everything. It's such a relief; I hardly know what to do with myself now that I don't have a pile of assignments every day. 

Incidentally I'm probably one of the last people in the US to use a slide rule for a math exam.

• Like 2

When the store closes (and I'm still working) so I can put my headphones in. I've been listening to a really interesting podcast about mysterious disappearances lately. It's so interesting, it makes the time fly by.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wax said:

When the store closes (and I'm still working) so I can put my headphones in. I've been listening to a really interesting podcast about mysterious disappearances lately. It's so interesting, it makes the time fly by.

This sounds like the setup to a low-budget horror film.

1 hour ago, WolfyAmbassador said:

I'm so fucking hyped for the solar eclipse! Where my brother is going in SC, he'll be able to witness the total eclipse; over here in Raleigh/Cary, we'll be getting a 0.94 magnitude.

Me too, man! Going to the Southern tip of Illinois, hoping for clear skies. I saw a weather map that shows 40-60% chance of clouds the day of, so we'll see.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wolflich said:

This sounds like the setup to a low-budget horror film.

It does! Except there's still about 10 people still in the store (me included) and the store radio that plays corny cover songs still plays.

This:

godwinslaw.PNG.df5c9648c770fd8dcc47cd7e06ce6fb0.PNG

https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/896884949634232320

godwinslaw2.PNG.e7bc05a7b47c15bf38454ed4a67503a8.PNG

https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/897174006880718848

I love that, despite all the alt-right dudes and liberals saying those people aren't nazis and evoking Godwin's Law as a way to shut down the comparison, Godwin readily encourages people to point out what they are: modern nazis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolflich said:

I'm pretty sure that was the point of the analogy.

I think he meant that chemo/Antifa are aggressive against the bad cells/guys but didn't take into account that it also does harm to good, unrelated cells/things. Not a very ideal form of treatment (but in the case of cancer, it's unfortunately the best we have at the moment).

Today my shift lead manager told my coworker he should take out the trash, he replied it wasnt in his job description

So being a clever little shit she went into the office and printed out a new nametag, our nametags have our name, the year we joined, and our job title, right under the job title "customer service associate", she put "takes out trash"

• Like 2

On 8/3/2017 at 4:21 PM, Käpt'n said:

I love Spot and he loves me back :3

If you remember my previous posts, Spot used to be called Andora... One of the keepers messed up and told me he's female >__>

And before you say it...
Yes. I don't have much hair left. I have accepted that I will be bald by the time I'm 30, don't make this harder for me than it already is :'C

Mmmmm...tasty! :V

Sounds like you have an amazing job. Better bald with a fun job, that with a lotta hair, and working at 7-11 in rough part of the city, though. But maybe that Lemur has licked the hair off, and Fossa can help!

3 hours ago, Fossa said:

Mmmmm...tasty! :V

Sounds like you have an amazing job. Better bald with a fun job, that with a lotta hair, and working at 7-11 in rough part of the city, though. But maybe that Lemur has licked the hair off, and Fossa can help!

That's not my job :) I wish it was but I just visit him on the weekends!
I know him for about 4 years now.

• Like 1

Finally fixed my exhaust. No more buzzy tincan ricer sound! :( 

599f80d6a4f53_tailpipefix.jpg.95ba5362bc0bbee20248a609a5ba7a9d.jpg

(I can't seem to downsize that pic for some reason)

My front tires were balding partially due to some kind of misalignment or imbalance in the front suspension, and partially because they were cheap-ass Chinese tires. Wanted to get the suspension fixed before getting tires but the front tires were so bald it was a danger to drive and might have blown pretty quickly.

I spent the entire day looking at tires, specifically at the Walmart I bought the tires before. I was going to take the car there, demand they give a pro-rated credit since the tires wore so quickly (45k mile warranty and they hadn't lasted more than 25k). And ask for an upgrade to another brand, and I'd pay the difference. The guy at the desk was an idiot and didn't know how to do pro-rated credit. Took an hour, the guy had to call a manager, who called an assistant store manager, who finally gave me warranty credit. I ended up getting mid-range Goodyear tires for about $35 a tire or so. And they said I could bring in my other two tires later and talk to the same manager and hopefully get the same credit.

It's not the tires at Walmart, though they stock a lot of cheap shit, they also have some brand name as well. It's that the people working there are kinda stupid.

• Like 1

So after a white supremacist banner got put up (and swiftly removed), most of my university has been actively making sure people like that don't feel welcome here.

Like they're not doing anything illegal. They're just letting them know that's not okay.

I love it.

56 minutes ago, WolfyAmbassador said:

You realize in that post he called Neil DeGrasse Tyson's claim that the methodology and instruments used to predict the solar eclipse are just as accurate as the ones used to predict climate change a "logical fallacy," right? The man said he wasn't anti-intellectual, and then proceeded to say an astrophysicist is wrong about his field of study.

neil.PNG.7d29e87a73759569084df81aa22687bd.PNG

You know Mike Rowe denies climate change, right? The man who says he is not anti-intellectual tells professionals they are wrong about their fields.

And you realize he complained about universities, and then proceeded to plug mikeroweWORKS, which partners with UTI - a for-profit college that the Senate found provides worse education than any normal community college or university for more money - to train people in trades, right?

Like... the dude was called out for being anti-intellectual and for just looking to make money, and he responded by saying scientists are wrong and by plugging a partnership he actually makes money from. Do you not see the issue?

On 8/23/2017 at 2:26 PM, Fossa said:

Donald Duck Orange Juice

032ac611841406.5603235cb2c5f.png

Only it is getting harder to find, here. Its not even that great, it just makes the fridge more cheerful to open.

I'm amazed that this is a thing.

And I looked it up and it isn't too pricey.

What is this?

27 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

You realize in that post he called Neil DeGrasse Tyson's claim that the methodology and instruments used to predict the solar eclipse are just as accurate as the ones used to predict climate change a "logical fallacy," right? The man said he wasn't anti-intellectual, and then proceeded to say an astrophysicist is wrong about his field of study.

neil.PNG.7d29e87a73759569084df81aa22687bd.PNG

You know Mike Rowe denies climate change, right? The man who says he is not anti-intellectual tells professionals they are wrong about their fields.

And you realize he complained about universities, and then proceeded to plug mikeroweWORKS, which partners with UTI - a for-profit college that the Senate found provides worse education than any normal community college or university for more money - to train people in trades, right?

Like... the dude was called out for being anti-intellectual and for just looking to make money, and he responded by saying scientists are wrong and by plugging a partnership he actually makes money from. Do you not see the issue?

Okay, what does this have to do with me agreeing with him on one particular facebook post that he made?

It's exhausting, but I'm kind of liking my job right now. I spent the day helping dismantle our factory and its facilities to move it all elsewhere. Starting next week I'm getting loads more hours and pay, hooray. I'm gonna save aggressively for a while and maybe get an education after a year or two.

3 hours ago, WolfyAmbassador said:

Okay, what does this have to do with me agreeing with him on one particular facebook post that he made?

The methods and instruments used to model temperature changes aren't as accurate as those used to predict eclipses, and those two things aren't similar at all. It's not unfair to point that out.

3 hours ago, U-235 said:

I love that today is my birthday and now I'm getting older!! (24 to be exact)

Happy Birthday, there! But trust me, after a point, the getting older part is a lot less fun!

It made me ponder that explorers actually looked for the fountain of youth, but you never really heard, say, about the fountain of middle age : P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WolfyAmbassador said:

I think that's rather bullshit to be honest.

“It’s nothing to do with sex; it’s an interest in cartoon animals,” Chamberlain told the newspaper Thursday.

But he's not fooling anyone with this rhetoric...

• Like 1