"Selfie person"/"Selfie culture"

Vallium

I never did get the hate towards media and pictures and stuff, its almost always some oldfag who's grumpy about "this generation" and griping about "back in my day". I get that some of their concerns are legitimate, but at the same time I think its also part jealousy that they didnt have things to make tasks and jobs easier.

There are people who think the word "selfie" is stupid, and maybe it is a little odd and sounds like a word made by a 14 year old white girl, but its simply a word used to describe the action of taking your own picture, "picture of yourself taken by you" is a bit to say, therefore we created a new word for it.

I also dont see what the big deal of people taking pictures of themselves is. Maybe because people scoff because it shows you lack friends to take pictures for you? Not only that but some people seem to think people who take pictures of themselves are "vain" and "self absorbed". Isnt that a negative way to look at it, though? What about self confidence and self esteem, I think if someone wants to take a picture of themself and feel good about themselves, why not?

The other day someone said I was a "selfie person", I dont really consider myself one, I just take pictures, most of which I delete, when I feel like it. Confidence-wise it helps because I like the pictures I can take of myself more than pictures Im captured in with other people taking it, I look awful. That, and I take selfies a lot because I have a lot of online friends I commune with, so gives face to my text and words, and makes it a good alternate forms of social communication

So to conclude, do you "selfie", take the occassional photo of yourself, and do you find other people who do it annoying or do you not care?

i'll take the occasional photo of myself but i never share it, i despise photos of me regardless of who took them

what i do hate are people who go out and buy selfie sticks, then stand in the most awkward of places in the middle of a city with their idiot friends so they can take a shit selfie of themselves

not to mention the people who risk their lives - and have managed to kill themselves - in order to take the 'perfect' selfie, but i suppose it's natural selection at work

those are the people that piss me off, otherwise i couldn't really care less about them, they're just photographs

I don't understand the hate at all; if you're going to outwardly express disdain for self portraits, why not all portraits in general? Why not the whole of photography? 

Selfies are just a result of the popularized front-facing camera which enables the user to aim a camera at themselves while keeping a steady eye on the viewfinder at the same time. It's a dream to use and makes taking pictures of oneself a breeze. That's why it's popular - not because this generation is suddenly self-engrossed and narcissistic.

• Like 3

Selfies only came around after Myspace and such, the internet culture of I want to be famous look at me.
People never shared such crap before, no one really wants to see it. How many times do you think people want to sit and look at slides?

Selfies are self promotional fluff, just to get attention not really for any real family purpose or such anymore just to be seen

I don't understand the hate at all; if you're going to outwardly express disdain for self portraits, why not all portraits in general? Why not the whole of photography? 

Selfies are just a result of the popularized front-facing camera which enables the user to aim a camera at themselves while keeping a steady eye on the viewfinder at the same time. It's a dream to use and makes taking pictures of oneself a breeze. That's why it's popular - not because this generation is suddenly self-engrossed and narcissistic.

But taking a thousand pictures of oneself is pretty narcissistic. I've yet to see a person who stops at one selfie.

On a side note I adooooore duckface selfies. They're the best.

I hate selfies, I don't take them and if someone takes a pic of me I hope it's without me knowing so I'll appear natural.

Im the opposite, I hate how I look if Im not prepared for a good picture.

and for photography in general you usually have to take many shots to get a good one. I do the same when taking pictures of animals or moving objects. It may not necessarily be about being self absorbed or narcissistic

Doesn't make much sense to me personally. The picture I took for the thread before was the first one I've done in months and it wouldn't even occur to me most of the time.

That said, it makes no difference to me if other people take loads of pictures of themselves. I might find it annoying if I was on social media being flooded by their uploads but I'm not, and I could just unfollow them anyway if I was.

Look, I like selfies. Selfies can reconfirm that I'm not actually this disgusting, unlovable hambeast, instead I'm actually an average-but-sometimes-cute fat lady to my friends and family. I don't think Selfie's are inherently narcissistic, but are just tools for insecure people, or people with low opinions of themselves, or even sometimes just to share a cute outfit/look/face. I think a selfie is a self care tool that should be used to help you feel better about yourself. 

I know that when I started taking selfies, there was finally a way I could have a picture of myself that I could make sure wasn't unflattering. 

Look, I like selfies. Selfies can reconfirm that I'm not actually this disgusting, unlovable hambeast, instead I'm actually an average-but-sometimes-cute fat lady to my friends and family. I don't think Selfie's are inherently narcissistic, but are just tools for insecure people, or people with low opinions of themselves, or even sometimes just to share a cute outfit/look/face. I think a selfie is a self care tool that should be used to help you feel better about yourself. 

I know that when I started taking selfies, there was finally a way I could have a picture of myself that I could make sure wasn't unflattering. 

I agree with that, but still a lot of people seem to overdo it i will say.

The only pictures I even have of myself are usually taken by my roommate after she uses me for makeup practice, I don't really feel any compulsion to take any pictures of myself most of the time. Which actually annoys my family a bit because that includes during special events or social gatherings, there are rarely any pictures of me to share.

I do think some people go overboard, but I don't necessarily believe it's out of vanity or narcissism. Not all the time, anyway. Rather I think it's actually a matter of compulsion and some insecurity. Some people have a phone with hundreds of near identical selfies, not because they like looking at themselves, but because they're so desperate to make sure that they can give only their best, their prettiest, their most attractive. They want, or need that confidence boost in the form of recognition and praise from their peers.

I don't hate selfies themselves but I've been around people who have this seemingly compulsive need to always be taking pictures of themselves and I would be lying if I said it didn't unsettle me. These aren't people I'd call narcissistic either, but getting them to do anything without pulling out their phones is an impossible task.

• Like 3

My selfies always come out wrong, I don't know why.

True story: When I was going home last weekend for my birthday, I was behind a open convertible full of stereotypical Malibu girls fussing with their hair. One of them had long stick on claws nails. They then pulled out a selfie stick and took a picture while at a stop light. I din't think that much stereotype could exist all at the same time.

• Like 1

I agree with that, but still a lot of people seem to overdo it i will say.

I do agree with the overdoing thoiugh, its the reason why so many people are worked up over such a banal concept.

I dont use any of my accounts to post numerous selfies, theyre for art (or dank memes) and I may upload selfies here and there for personal reference because I like it as an ideal representation of myself now and again

I remember the days back when the art of a self-portrait was merely referred to as the act of taking a photo of oneself. Oh, those were the days!

The darn youth and their desire to make up terrible words to replace a perfectly fine word that already exists. Absurd! Oh, woe. Woe to the future of our wonderful Earth, for she shall be infested with those that deign to abuse the -word- of... "selfie".

• Like 1

i'm pretty neutral, but the people who have -thousands- of selfies for their facebook pic kinda tend to suggest that they feel the need to size themselves up or have some level of attention seeking. that's what i see in that, at least. not to say wanting to feel good about themselves is a bad trait, because sometimes it can aid low self esteem, but when publicly displayed, this intent sometimes becomes clear to the viewer and sometimes that can send the wrong message.

Oh cool, I can actually hide Aidy's obnoxiously long signature.

you know, when i saw the title "selfie person"/"selfie culture" i thought the exact same thing

Edited by evan

I take a lot of "selfies" because I just... really feel good about myself some days,
and sometimes I want to look back on what I was doing and the fun I was having at the time.

If someone wants to dislike that, ain't my problem.
Other people's insecurities about themselves are not my responsibility.

I don't hate selfies themselves but I've been around people who have this seemingly compulsive need to always be taking pictures of themselves and I would be lying if I said it didn't unsettle me. These aren't people I'd call narcissistic either, but getting them to do anything without pulling out their phones is an impossible task.

Yeah, this pretty much. I have no problems with people taking selfies, but people who do it in excess and are taking multiple selfies a day is just a bit overkill imo.

Selfie sticks are stupid. End of discussion.

See, I used to think the same thing until my roommate decided to pick up a sailor moon themed selfie stick, mostly just because it was designed to look like that wand from the anime or something like that

And, outside of actually being used for selfies, the selfie stick is actually crazy useful for high angle and sweeping shots for both general photography, and video recording.

In theory, selfie sticks sound awful, but having used one in practice they're so much more interesting and useful than they seem.

upvoted.