The DOOM Beta

Lucyfish

How could the new Doom be a rip off of Brutal Doom? The entire point of Brutal Doom was to make a new, updated version of Doom 2. If the new Doom didn't feel new and updated like Brutal Doom, I would be insanely disappointed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

How could the new Doom be a rip off of Brutal Doom? The entire point of Brutal Doom was to make a new, updated version of Doom 2. If the new Doom didn't feel new and updated like Brutal Doom, I would be insanely disappointed.

Sorta correct. Brutal Doom is also compatible with Doom 1. It was meant to take the original doom games and give them modern FPS sensibilities. Thus, you can crouch, jump, dual wield, aim down sights, and some weapons have alternative fire. 

I got really hyped when I heard the new Doom game was taking cues from Brutal Doom. 

Just now, Rabbit Head said:

Sorta correct. Brutal Doom is also compatible with Doom 1. It was meant to take the original doom games and give them modern FPS sensibilities. Thus, you can crouch, jump, dual wield, aim down sights, and some weapons have alternative fire. 

I got really hyped when I heard the new Doom game was taking cues from Brutal Doom. 

All I can say is while the multiplayer is literally just Unreal Tournament, if the single player is slaughtering hordes of demons with UT-style controls and gameplay then I am pretty excited.

No FPS controls as well as UT and Doom controls exactly the same way. It's the single player I've always been interested in anyway, so if this is how the gameplay is and I get lots of demons to kill, I am happy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Remember the intro video for the new DOOM? How you were ripping apart creatures and such?

Yanked straight out of Brutal Doom, and without the cursory raised middle finger and a hearty shouted "Go Fuck Yourself!" from your character.

It's a poor rip-off.

Uhm

That's what Doom always was supposed to be

How can it be a rip off when that was the direction the game was always bound to head?

EDIT: I don't see people bitching about Fallout 4 being similar to what the Project Nevada mod added to New Vegas. It's just natural game evolution.

Edited by Lucyfish
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 6tails said:

Doom originally was supposed to have a plot. Not focus on violence and fast-paced action.

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffft. Maybe Doom 3.

Doom 1 and 2's stories were literally single text boxes displayed between certain levels. Story has NEVER mattered in Doom.

Violence and fast-paced action are literally ALL DOOM IS ABOUT.

Edited by Lucyfish

2 minutes ago, 6tails said:

You should read The Doom Bible by Tom Hall, one of the guys that worked on DOOM. The dropping of the plot is what led to him resigning from the team, and that is explained in that book.

Tom Hall was one of the least influential members of ID. He's a crybaby and nobody gave a fuck when he left.

Not to mention after he left they created the insane success that was Quake. He was not needed.

Edited by Lucyfish
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Remember the intro video for the new DOOM? How you were ripping apart creatures and such?

Yanked straight out of Brutal Doom, and without the cursory raised middle finger and a hearty shouted "Go Fuck Yourself!" from your character.

It's a poor rip-off.

Although in Brutal Doom, those kinds of executions could only be done if you found a demon rune or a berserk pack. It seems you can do these executions any time you want. Try again. 

The game isn't out yet, how do you know that it doesn't include these? Plus, that "go fuck yourself!" was irritating as hell. I prefer my Doom guy quiet. Or at least give him a better voice. 

11 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Also, to them back then, "Realism detracted from gameplay." Now they're trying to tout some of the most realistic graphics capabilities. Love the total 180. Tom Hall was right more often than not.

Yeah, in terms of fighting an army of demons as a one man army. Realism really WOULD be a downer here. That has nothing to do with how realistic the graphics are.

Quit trying to find hypocrisy where their isn't any.

11 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Almost all of those iconic levels were his design and were based for the plot.

Sources plz.

5 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Try again when you're an actual DOOM fanatic.

No thanks, "Actual" DOOM fanatics turn into obnoxious snobs, it seems...

Edited by Rabbit Head
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Tom Hall was the Creative Director, READ THE CREDITS.

Two second google search later... You're wrong. http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Sandy_Petersen

3 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Go read the books, I dare you.

I could give a shit less about whatever glorified fanfiction you throw at me. 

6 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Had they kept that storyline, they'd have utterly killed Marathon.

Given I've never heard of that game until now?

#1. The majority of all of the designs came from John Romero. Everything about the way Doom looked and sounded was HIS baby.

#2. The overall game design was headed by John Carmack, not Tom Hall. The point of Doom and Doom 2 were to show off John Carmack's Tech engine, and he was the one watching over all level design. They didn't even have a plot for the way they designed the levels in Doom 1, the game was being made out of the original Alien game they were supposed to be making. They gave JOHN ROMERO creative liberty after the Alien idea was scrapped.

I have been playing Doom since before I could form full sentences. The story is NOT what made the series successful, and to pretend like it is is just insane thinking. The new Doom embodies what made people love the originals and DESPISE Doom 3. Now, don't get me wrong, I like Doom 3. It's a good game. But all around the world the general opinion on that game is: It isn't Doom.

While Doom has the spooky monsters and looks of a survival horror game, when they turned the series into survival horror instead of making it high-octane action, fans nearly rioted. Doom 3 was poorly received by the majority of die-hard fans. The community has spoken. Doom isn't horror, it's metal as fuck.

Also what, "realistic graphics" and "realism ruining the game" what

WHAT

IT'S BEEN 12 YEARS SINCE THE LAST DOOM IF THE GRAPHICS WEREN'T INSANELY GOOD I'D BE PISSED

Edited by Lucyfish
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, 6tails said:

I wonder if you ever bother reading your own links, which in turn source:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_comic

"It was produced by Dana Moreshead, for Marvel Comics, as a giveaway for a video game convention."

It was not canon, and id had nothing to do with it except for taking kickbacks for the usage of the name/IP.

Have you ever read the Doom comic? Like serious question.

12 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Yes, I have. That's kinda what being a DOOM fanatic entails.

Plus my 8+ GB of Doom WADs, mods, and stuff I've made.

Plus all four actual DOOM books.

I fell asleep during the movie, though. And I hear they'll be redoing that movie, too.

You don't need to show off how much of a "true Doom fan" you are, I literally do not give a shit.

I'm simply laughing at you for being a sperg who doesn't notice the obvious joke.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mod for Doom 4's guns in Doom classic. Pretty fun. I don't like the rapid fire weapons though. They're really weak, especially the plasma gun. Almost thought I was just using it wrong. Shotguns are great though.

Also this was perfect timing. lol

93de84e6e53b4b633df9258ec70af19a.png.ae2

• Like 2

Ok, why hasn't anybody talked about DooM 64 yet?!

This game is fucking amazing. The weapons feel punchy and are so fun to use, plus, this game is absolutely dripping with foreboding atmosphere thanks to the ambient soundtrack and moody lighting effects. This game feels me with a strange sense of dread in the best way possible.

It feels like DooM and Doom 3 made sweet passionate space love and this was the result and it's great.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I tried to multiplayer beta and words cannot describe how disappointed I am with it.

That shit ain't DOOM. It is hard to even call it an arena shooter. It's Call of Halo.

Loadouts, perks, halo armors?

Wait a second... LOADOUTS?

Fuck this shit.

Yeah, that's just the way FPS multiplayer goes these days. I find the core gameplay of it to be pretty fun, though.

What DOOM is meant to be is an awesome single player experience. Never has DOOM been a standard in multiplayer gameplay. As long as the single player is fun, I will be happy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucyfish said:

Yeah, that's just the way FPS multiplayer goes these days. I find the core gameplay of it to be pretty fun, though.

What DOOM is meant to be is an awesome single player experience. Never has DOOM been a standard in multiplayer gameplay. As long as the single player is fun, I will be happy.

I struggled to enjoy it, and couldn't. It wasn't even that I sucked, I did very well the few rounds I played.

It was just so unimaginative, mind numbing shooting that's basically every scifi FPS videogame ever made post 2009.

If the SP works it has at least something going for it. So far what I've seen it's looking weak.

Just now, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I struggled to enjoy it, and couldn't. It wasn't even that I sucked, I did very well the few rounds I played.

It was just so unimaginative, mind numbing shooting that's basically every scifi FPS videogame ever made post 2009.

If the SP works it has at least something going for it. So far what I've seen it's looking weak.

I didn't expect the game's multiplayer to be anything different than all the sci-fi FPS videogames past 2009. Like I said, the point was always the single player.

Seriously, who expected DOOM multiplayer to be anything new or special? There was no way. It's aaaaall about the single player.

• Like 1

Just now, Lucyfish said:

I didn't expect the game's multiplayer to be anything different than all the sci-fi FPS videogames past 2009. Like I said, the point was always the single player.

Seriously, who expected DOOM multiplayer to be anything new or special? There was no way. It's aaaaall about the single player.

A LOT of DOOM players loved the fast arena shooter multiplayer and it set the standards for online gaming for a while. It was very influential and widespread and when the game advertised itself as returning to those roots fans loved the idea of it. That's why it hurts so much to see the current MP.

Doom 3 SP was alright. It was an experience and I liked it even if it wasn't quite the old timey DOOM. I hope this can do the same and redeem itself and the license name the MP has ruined so far.

12 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

A LOT of DOOM players loved the fast arena shooter multiplayer and it set the standards for online gaming for a while. It was very influential and widespread and when the game advertised itself as returning to those roots fans loved the idea of it. That's why it hurts so much to see the current MP.

Doom 3 SP was alright. It was an experience and I liked it even if it wasn't quite the old timey DOOM. I hope this can do the same and redeem itself and the license name the MP has ruined so far.

I am one of the biggest DOOM fans ever.

Original DOOM MP was pretty garbage. It set the standard for what Quake and Unreal Tournament would perfect, but it has not aged well at all. I'd say the MP of the new DOOM is a lot better, disappointing as it is.

The game was also NEVER advertised to be going back to the roots of the original DOOM multiplayer. It was advertised as going back to the roots of the original DOOM single player, with tons of monster-slaying goodness.

ALL I'M SAYING IS...

Playing DOOM for multiplayer is like playing Minesweeper for gripping story. It's just not what DOOM is about.

• Like 1

I kind of expected the multiplayer to not satisfy anyone no matter what they did. Although in this case, it seems like it really is a problem. I heard they had the guys behind Call of Duty Ghosts behind it? Now I don't shit on Call of Duty every release because Black Ops 3 was really fun, but Ghosts is unarguably the most horribly received Call of Duty for a multitude of reasons. 

And it's unfortunate because let's be real: Despite Doom's single player being the star of the show back in the day, Hell even with Doom 3, how many people -today- were going to actually buy it for the single player? How many people are going to give the multiplayer a pass in favor of the single player? The Doom diehards? The small handful of them compared to how many people would actually buy the game? We can tell ourselves till we're blue in the face that Doom was mainly for single player but that shit won't fly. We know exactly why the majority of people were going to buy the game; to play online. If the multiplayer fails, this game is going to taken to the gallows. Maybe Doom won't fail in numbers (though honestly I see it struggling to break 1 mil, in my honest unsubstantiated opinion), but it's going to be completely forgotten even if they top Doom 2's single player experience. It's actually a damn shame. No, eff that. It's straight up heartbreaking.

I really hope they can do something that doesn't require a delay to make multiplayer fun. A day one patch to tweak some values. Maybe make the game a bit faster, remove some of the ample health pickups, allow all guns on the map, fix double jumping to not be so rigid. Something. 

I'm going to buy the game. I'm going to play the single player. I'm going to enjoy it. That right there is my money's worth. I don't care if others say it plays like the dreaded Cawadooty: Master Chief of War Premium Day One Double XP Edition. I'll appreciate it for what it tries.

• Like 1

Honestly I was kind of disappointed to even hear that DOOM had a multiplayer. It's incredibly unnecessary, much like the multiplayer for F.E.A.R.

If DOOM should have any kind of multiplayer, it should be something like a cooperative campaign or a cooperative survival mode. DOOM and PvP are not a really good combination.

7 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

Honestly I was kind of disappointed to even hear that DOOM had a multiplayer. It's incredibly unnecessary, much like the multiplayer for F.E.A.R.

If DOOM should have any kind of multiplayer, it should be something like a cooperative campaign or a cooperative survival mode. DOOM and PvP are not a really good combination.

Doom 1 and 2 deathmatch were awesome :D back in the DOS days at least, they should've tried to recreate that, instead of.. well, whatever it is now.

Just now, weirdfox said:

Doom 1 and 2 deathmatch were awesome :D back in the DOS days at least, they should've tried to recreate that, instead of.. well, whatever it is now.

Eh, they really haven't aged well. Sure, they were cool at the time when Doom was the top of the line in FPS's, but these days whenever I play Doom 1 or 2 Deathmatch it just makes me want to play Quake or Unreal.

7 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

So long as it doesn't detract from the solo campaign idgaf

That said multiplayer looks rad as fuck. Like if DOOM and Unreal Tournament had some ridiculously metal sex and shat out some kind of radical demon baby, dual-wielding super shotguns.