The DOOM Beta

Lucyfish

I love seeing the "purist" stragglers reaching to find a reason to shit on this game. I'm seeing some real winners too.

It's not 2D. The weapons have mods. It's "too" bloody. The graphics are too detailed (this could almost be legitimate if Doom was so cluttered, it made it hard to see). It doesn't have this option setting or that option setting. C-C-CROSSHAIRS!!!!

Comparing something designed for simplicity and accessibility for everyone to legitimate, full fledged development tools that require various skillsets is a terrible means of judging a game feature.

If Snap map is just flat out bad, that's one thing. But if it's "bad" because it's not as feature rich as actual dev tools, that's not sensible.

Triple G released his review on DooM.

The map building thing is utter garbage and is only going to hold the mod community back.

I think that was purposefully gimped so nothing could truly compete with likely future DLC.

Welcome to modern gaming 101.  Where modding has been killed off entirely for the sake of protecting their bottom line.

But as long as a game has cute video game enemies, people will be fine with it.  '3'

I really want to get this game, but I'm scared if my poor little toaster can handle it.  I'm too stingy to spend 60 bucks for a potential refund, and I don't want to get it from a re-seller site and not being able to get a refund.

...anyone in the East Coast got a junk Intel quad core tower I can use?  I reckon this Phenom is about as good as a core 2 duo.

Been playing and creating a lot of Snapmaps lately. Most are mediocre at best, even some of the more popular ones. Though I did find some hilarious maps that are good for a quick laugh or two.

Bad Day: Z4DNAZLL

Short but sweet map with some funny dialogue. You have to check your email but the power is out and your neighbor is throwing a party. You are not happy.

Super Box Puncher: V9878A7D

You punch boxes. Literally. Very short map, but the captions on the boxes make up for the length.

I've also created two more Doom 64 maps; Even Simpler and Dark Entries. I can't barely get to the end.