Panama Papers

Wrecker

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/panama-papers-neil-macdonald-1.3520491

Kind of like the big NSA fiasco, this spiel seems to be yet another thing that has been mentioned and suspected in history with no real supporting material... Well, it's out now.

There's always been talk about offshore holdings, tax evasion and the like.

Edited by Wrecker

I've been reading into this a bit lately and it's honestly impossible to understate how fucking massive this is.

Especially when you consider that Mossack Fonseca (the firm the leak was from) is only like 4th largest firm of its type last time I checked. That and the fact that this isn't even getting into the US which was "lucky" enough to not ever really use them for their off-the-book needs.

Putin responded to the revelation that many of his close associates were involved by accusing journalists of being CIA operatives and his critics of being 'Putinophobic'.

Why do Russians not laugh at this child of a man? 

Edited by Saxon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

Putin responded to the revelation that many of his close associates were involved by accusing journalists of being CIA operatives and his critics of being 'Putinophobic'.

I though you'd have more sympathy for people who are victims of public ridicule?

Well, my country's Prime minister is being hounded because his father owned an offshore bank account in Panama, back when that sort of activity was legal. 

He's not exactly responsible for the actions his father took when he was a child, so this is a bit silly. 

...and Iceland's prime minister has resigned, due to accounts found in his wife's name. Now, though, he has bizarrely 'unresigned'. I didn't know you could even do that. 

16 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Well, my country's Prime minister is being hounded because his father owned an offshore bank account in Panama, back when that sort of activity was legal. 

He's not exactly responsible for the actions his father took when he was a child, so this is a bit silly.

The PigMolester is in trouble? Yay!

18 minutes ago, Saxon said:

...and Iceland's prime minister has resigned, due to accounts found in his wife's name. Now, though, he has bizarrely 'unresigned'. I didn't know you could even do that. 

From what I heard (hearsay, definitely not secured!) he just went "Resigned? Oh no! I just offered that [whoever] can take over for an unspecified amount of time!"

3 hours ago, Saxon said:

I didn't even know Iceland had a PM.

Come to think of it, I kinda forgot people live on Iceland.

Just now, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

I didn't even know Iceland had a PM.

Come to think of it, I kinda forgot people live on Iceland.

A few hundred thousand people live there. A lot of Volcanologists are Icelandic; names like Siggurdson and Gurdmundson abound in Volcano science. It is amazing how big their research footprint is given that they have the population of a small city. 

3 hours ago, Saxon said:

A few hundred thousand people live there. A lot of Volcanologists are Icelandic; names like Siggurdson and Gurdmundson abound in Volcano science. It is amazing how big their research footprint is given that they have the population of a small city. 

Yea, I suppose in that aspect they have contributed quite a bit to our understanding of volcanic activity, I never did draw the connection between the odd names of volcanologists and Iceland.

1 hour ago, Sir Gibby said:

It doesn't matter. All it takes is selective media silence and it may as well have not happened.

That's happening in Russia and China, but I don't think it will happen in the West; the press will not be able to resist these juicy scoops. 

22 hours ago, Saxon said:

Russians are right and proper assholes and Putin isn't a saint, but he isn't a globalist shill like pretty much every major Western leader that's kicking about right now.