Things that you hate! v2

Sar

On 1/20/2017 at 5:55 PM, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

a bunch of spastic snails

That's a really great image.

I might have to 'steal' a version of it, for a poem!

~

Hmmm...things I hate: the way my shoes wear so unevenly, so that eventually, they wear funny, and I'm walking on an angle, with more wear on the inward facing side, especially on the left. I wonder what causes this. Then, it can make your feet/calves really tense, and knotted up.

4 hours ago, Lopaw said:

How the guardian has gone from being sensible (compared to the mail and express) to a far left thing that goes on about things that appease SJWs along with being anti nuclear anything.

Have they? Or is this just what youtubers like Sargon of Akkad believe?

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

Have they? Or is this just what youtubers like Sargon of Akkad believe?

To be honest it will likely go back to being less extreme once the shock of trump fades and something else takes more attention.

I'm mostly comparing what it was like 10 years ago when it turned up a lot in my school and it was sensible compared to things like the mail, which loved capitalising a certain word  in a headline all the time and claiming various things would cure cancer, cause it or somehow both.

On 1/24/2017 at 2:23 AM, Lopaw said:

Updates and newly installed stuff that forces you to restart the PC. You shouldn't have to do that any more unless you are installing new hardware or doing something like a BIOS update (I was surprised there was one of those for my PC)

Ever tried Linux?

On topic: Microsoft SQL Server.

• Like 1

The number of people quoting citations that prove the opposite of their claim.

A conspiracy theorist who thinks that human induced climate change is 'rhetoric' literally just cited a document which concluded human activities explained most of contemporary climate change.

This isn't even an isolated case. It is as though people just google their opinion, click on the first result and cite it, without reading. Do they expect me just to see that they've managed to perform a google search and conclude 'oh you must be right then' ?

• Like 1

Feeling like working in a major university research library is increasingly pointless, when more and more people just ignore facts and research anyway. I look at our voluminous databases, hundreds of online journals, and 7 story print collection, and increasingly, I sigh, wondering what all this knowledge matters.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Feeling like working in a major university research library is increasingly pointless, when more and more people just ignore facts and research anyway. I look at our voluminous databases, hundreds of online journals, and 7 story print collection, and increasingly, I sigh, wondering what all this knowledge matters.

I increasingly come across people dismissing real science as 'feminist propaganda' too.

For example there's a study which notes that female named hurricanes have higher death tolls than male ones, and performs research that shows people perceive the female names as less threatening and hence are less likely to evacuate or prepare for them.

People were laughing at it for being a 'waste of space', demonstrating that feminists had corrupted psychology textbooks, etc...it's a bit of research which could save lives, and they're shitting all over it because...I don't know, it mentioned that gender stereotypes exist and I guess that obviously means it's liberal hogwash. O_o

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

I increasingly come across people dismissing real science as 'feminist propaganda' too.

For example there's a study which notes that female named hurricanes have higher death tolls than male ones, and performs research that shows people perceive the female names as less threatening and hence are less likely to evacuate or prepare for them.

People were laughing at it for being a 'waste of space', demonstrating that feminists had corrupted psychology textbooks, etc...it's a bit of research which could save lives, and they're shitting all over it because...I don't know, it mentioned that gender stereotypes exist and I guess that obviously means it's liberal hogwash. O_o

If that's true, then people sure are stupid. The name has no indication of how strong a hurricane is or how much of a predicted impact it may have. Also, the name Katrina should be a wake up call for those people.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

If that's true, then people sure are stupid. The name has no indication of how strong a hurricane is or how much of a predicted impact it may have. Also, the name Katrina should be a wake up call for those people.

I suspect it's an unconscious response. Personally I've wondered whether giving storms fictional or mythological names would improve public response. For example 'Hurricane Kraken' or 'Storm Leviathan'.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I suspect it's an unconscious response. Personally I've wondered whether giving storms fictional or mythological names would improve public response. For example 'Hurricane Kraken' or 'Storm Leviathan'.

Or, we could name them after animals: Hurricane Aardvark, Hurricane Bunny, Hurricane Cheetah, and so on. That might me more fun! We could use Latin names, but that might confuse people. 

9 hours ago, george99g said:

Ever tried Linux?

On topic: Microsoft SQL Server.

I have tried ubuntu in the past on my old laptop back when I was told software development is easier on Linux. This was when I still had interest in programming and before I knew cross compilers existed.

From what I know on Microsoft SQL server that is meant for business use where you can't just turn off your DB server without massive cost. It's not meant for home use.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lopaw said:

From what I know on Microsoft SQL server that is meant for business use where you can't just turn off your DB server without massive cost. It's not meant for home use.  

My problem is that I have to use this thing.
On Linux.
Microsoft SQL server on fucking Linux.

Not to mention that the syntax and data types are absolutely atrocious and differ from most other SQL providers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lopaw said:

It's bullshit that it gets installed with Visual Studio (along with a load of other shit, fuck VS).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Socketosis said:

It's bullshit that it gets installed with Visual Studio (along with a load of other shit, fuck VS).

I got sick of VS after having to go near VB.net and do things in it spending more time building the look of it by dragging and dropping widgets on forms and coding them to do stuff.

To rub salt in the wound the level 3 IT people got to do java and that thing called swing that relates to java for a unit on OOP things. 

The java people would have done the same thing I had done but made the UI with swing and lots of  use of public, static void and main, and the whole thing would have run faster than craptastic VB.

So this Database / MS Access online class I signed up for requires a book WITH the online access code. So, I have to buy a brand new book to make sure the access code is intact. A brand new book costs $155-175.

Luckily I was able to find a copy online for only about $83 that says it has the access code. I hope they're right.

The class is an online class and the professor uses the book's access code website to assign all the homework and grade everything. I mean, the school has BLACKBOARD, which is free to all students. And he uses Blackboard, but only to post grades.

If he'd get off his lazy ass and just use Blackboard I could have picked up a used copy of the book, or a library copy, but I guess not. Some professors suck ass.

5 hours ago, Chaosmasterdelta said:

Food getting stuck in my braces

Heck ya, repping good ol' braces. How long have you had 'em in for so far? Nickin' food out within the brackets is pretty annoying, but it'll definitely be worth it in the end. Just make sure to stay ontop of your cleaning regiment, especially in between each metal piece placement on your teeth. After I had mine removed there was a bit of decalcification where plaque had stayed too long, and years after my teeth still aren't back to how they were - much regret! 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

So this Database / MS Access online class I signed up for requires a book WITH the online access code. So, I have to buy a brand new book to make sure the access code is intact. A brand new book costs $155-175.

Luckily I was able to find a copy online for only about $83 that says it has the access code. I hope they're right.

The class is an online class and the professor uses the book's access code website to assign all the homework and grade everything. I mean, the school has BLACKBOARD, which is free to all students. And he uses Blackboard, but only to post grades.

If he'd get off his lazy ass and just use Blackboard I could have picked up a used copy of the book, or a library copy, but I guess not. Some professors suck ass.

ughhhhhhh

I hate that stupid online access code bullshit

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moogle said:

Heck ya, repping good ol' braces. How long have you had 'em in for so far? Nickin' food out within the brackets is pretty annoying, but it'll definitely be worth it in the end. Just make sure to stay ontop of your cleaning regiment, especially in between each metal piece placement on your teeth. After I had mine removed there was a bit of decalcification where plaque had stayed too long, and years after my teeth still aren't back to how they were - much regret! 

I had them since the start of summer last year

not being able to just do shit on my own when i have the time to do it.  having to wait for or depend on someone else, for no reason other than "them's the rules", even so it's something i am perfectly capable of doing alone and don't actually receive any help with from the other person.  literally just someone has to be there while i do it by myself.  want to drive, can't practice because permit means waiting for another licensed driver to have time to sit in the car with me.  want to get my work done, can't do half of my job without manager standing there or unlocking things because you can't go outside alone while the store's closed and they don't give you all the keys because they're afraid you'll steal something or climb inside the garbage compactor idfk
other people just make shit harder for me and i have no choice but to wait on them :0( 

but who gets the blame when shit isn't done fast enough?  >>THIS GUY<<

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Snagged Cub said:

My leg is so itchy but if I keep scratching at this pace I could inflict bloody scratch marks on it. 

PLEASE

I've done that at times, even in my sleep. I also bite my nails, which can leave sharp, jagged edges...there have been times, I've woke up with some pretty deep, bloddy scratches. Anxiety, I suppose, drives this...I tend to sleep very lightly, 'fitfully', one could say.

• Like 1

Code that doesn't produce debug logs specifying which records it's processing. Also, insufficient logs of how a record is being processed. Oh! And exception catches that swallow the inner exception and merely provide some gussied up "Something broke during this process" messages.

• Like 1

Now that England has ruined her friendship with relatively nice countries like France and Denmark our leader is cosying up to Donald Trump and Erdogan. Fucking Erdogan, president of the country which imprisons the most journalists in the world and which is famous for incarcerating scientists.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2017 at 1:01 AM, george99g said:

Huh, what?

You're one of the coders here, you don't know what those mean?
Public = variable can be accessed outside of an object. Like object_name.var. Also, the place where basement nerds hate to find themselves in.
Static = function can be used without an object being created. Also, what I get when I touch some doorknobs.
Void = function does not return a variable. Also, the place where all people will go in the end.
Main = Depends, but I'd say the block of code that runs first when the program is run. Also, there's usually one of these in most small american towns.

6 hours ago, Saxon said:

Now that England has ruined her friendship with relatively nice countries like France and Denmark our leader is cosying up to Donald Trump and Erdogan. Fucking Erdogan, president of the country which imprisons the most journalists in the world and which is famous for incarcerating scientists.

Dictators that play together, stay together.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crazy Lee said:

I know what they mean.

Using them in that context made zero sense, as if they just heard the words and sprinkled them into their text like buzzwords.

2 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

Public = variable can be accessed outside of this class and any children. Like object_name.var. Also, the place where basement nerds hate to find themselves in.
Static = method can be used without needing an object to call it on. Also, what I get when I touch some doorknobs.
Void = method does not return a variable. Also, the place where all people will go in the end.
Main = The method that gets executed by the JRE after the java command is called on a compiled file. Manpage documentation follows. Also, there's usually one of these in most small american towns.

The java command starts a Java application. It does this by starting the Java Runtime Environment (JRE), loading the specified class, and calling that class's main() method. The method must be declared public and static, it must not return any value, and it must accept a String array as a parameter. The method declaration has the following form:

public static void main(String[] args)

You can thank me for the corrections later.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, george99g said:

I know what they mean.

Using them in that context made zero sense, as if they just heard the words and sprinkled them into their text like buzzwords.

I notice most of this is just using the word method. Method, function, depends on which language we're talking about.

15 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

I notice most of this is just using the word method. Method, function, depends on which language we're talking about.

Member function and method are synonymous.

Function and method are not.

A function is free. A method is tied to a class. In Java functions can't happen. In C++ both can happen and it's important to know the difference.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, george99g said:

I know what they mean.

Static = method can be used without needing an instance to call it on. Also, what I get when I touch some doorknobs.

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

27 minutes ago, george99g said:

I know what they mean.

Sorry for spriking java stuff out of context, I was recalling my experience of looking through the source code of a entire minecraft mod (railcraft) and largely barely understanding anything. Wanted to add things but couldn't due to lack of java fluency.

I have very barebones experience in programming really.

All I have ever written is beginner level C++ practice programs, a awful VB.net thing for class and a thing in lua to run a vast mining thing I made in  minecraft ages ago.

Finding I was not going to make it as a programmer is what made me take up electrical engineering.

9 minutes ago, Lopaw said:

Finding I was not going to make it as a programmer is what made me take up electrical engineering.

Honestly I don't know how anyone does. I consider myself a shitty programmer because it seems like most other ones have this vast amount of knowledge, like many years ahead of mine despite toying around with it since my teens. Maybe I should've taken it more seriously when I was younger, but I still think I'd be overwhelmed by how much shit is involved and how fast everything has changed since. Someone once told me "pick a language and stick with it" and I think I now understand why.

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

Public = variable can be accessed outside of an object. Like object_name.var. Also, the place where basement nerds hate to find themselves in.
Static = function can be used without an object being created. Also, what I get when I touch some doorknobs.
Void = function does not return a variable. Also, the place where all people will go in the end.
Main = Depends, but I'd say the block of code that runs first when the program is run. Also, there's usually one of these in most small american towns.

Dictators that play together, stay together.

We're going to make war planes for Turkey. s:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38779669

1 minute ago, Socketosis said:

Honestly I don't know how anyone does. I consider myself a shitty programmer because it seems like most other ones have this vast amount of knowledge, like many years ahead of mine despite toying around with it since my teens. Maybe I should've taken it more seriously when I was younger, but I still think I'd be overwhelmed by how much shit is involved and how fast everything has changed since. Someone once told me "pick a language and stick with it" and I think I now understand why.

When I was still considering programming I was learning C++ from a book. Then the book got lost for a year and I forgot most of what I had learned.

I was lucky to get into the level 3 engeering course from the IT one I had done given the college doesn't expect people to change subjects and my grades where not ideal ( D in GCSE maths and MMP from the IT course.) 

I think the teacher who taught most of the first year people saw potential in me, thats why I got in.

• Like 1

I've had a horrible mucus-y cough for WEEKS now. I'm trying to develop my singing voice and this isn't making it any better. What's worse is I can't use any of my tight student budget to buy any medicine for it, so I have to wait it out.

35 minutes ago, Wax said:

I've had a horrible mucus-y cough for WEEKS now. I'm trying to develop my singing voice and this isn't making it any better. What's worse is I can't use any of my tight student budget to buy any medicine for it, so I have to wait it out.

Many universities have an in-college nurse, and you could book an appointment with them. I hope you get well soon.

• Like 1