Things that you hate! v2

Sar

The fact that the program we use for nuclear tool box coding only reports Standard deviation per cycle, so I don't realize what the actual standard deviation is until the end. Hence why I spent 7 hours getting it below 20pcm(what I thought was the system, but was actually the individual cycles), when it turns out it was at .0002pcm at the end for the whole system. That and I just hate this particular program in general. It's not horrendously hard to use, just not very user friendly, and very time consuming.

On 09/22/2017 at 7:05 PM, Fossa said:

How lately, after I drink coffee, I get really, really sleepy, to the point I'll take a nap, if I can, and then, after a few hours, the coffee seems to kick in, and I'm awake.

Interestingly, the coffee plant is closely related to kratom, a plant which works as a mild stimulant in very small doses and something akin to an opiate in large ones.

But yes, delayed reaction to caffeine suuuuucks.

@Jtrekkie Jesus. You OK?

• Like 1

On 10/6/2017 at 2:49 AM, Jtrekkie said:

Getting yourself doxxed is totally no fun at all. 

I've been there before. All because I left a negative comment on a video and had an old stupid password reset question on my e-mail. Makes you feel paranoid huh? :(

I hate that this shit is still being bickered about.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/5/16413768/a-hat-in-time-jontron-voice-acting

• Like 1

On 10/3/2017 at 4:08 PM, DrDingo said:

I've come back to uni for second year but now my friends wanna hide in their rooms and play video games instead of going out

And it makes me sad :c

I'm having this problem too. All my pals are theater kids who have no idea how to make plans, so sometimes I'll get a text at midnight on a Wednesday like "hey we're playing board games in the commons" binch I am ASLEEP, AT HOME. Then when I want to hang out at a reasonable time they're playing WoW in their dorms alone because none of these people know what a LAN party is.

I actually saw a really good video about this if I could fiiinnnd it, about active vs passive socializing (ex board games versus facebook). Basically ppl end up choosing the latter because it requires no energy, but active socializing is way more fun and rewarding. So it's like, social laziness. 

• Like 1

How uneven the difficulty on my course is. 

The maths has been nightmarish with one stupidly big equation and other things on it. Whereas the electrical stuff so far is too easy.

None of this math is spefically engineering related either.

At this rate because of how screwing up one assignment in a unit stops you getting any of the higher grades on that unit I’ll be lucky if I come out with a merit overall.

The equation was so complex that when putting all the numbers in for each value and raising them to the right power (because some units had different metric prefixes) my calculator ran out of memory and I couldn’t finish entering the values needed.

Film reviews actually piss me off more than game reviews honestly. Because even with the SHITTIEST game review, they're at least pragmatic in a way. You can understand what's being said and maybe even why it was said even if it's stupid or just not agreeable.

But film reviews are just snobby as fuck. And I don't even really mean in the opinions and content of the actual review though that is absolutely part of it. I can't even get passed the surface of them without rolling my eyes. They suck ass and just annoy the hell out of me. Look at any critic on RT or IMDB. Their wording... It's so fucking over the top in it's smug, pretentious, wordy bullshit. It sounds like some pseudo intellectual 14 year old that thinks saying "I enjoy reading the dictionary" is astute and cool and will get him social desirability for being soooooo smart. 

The run on sentences, comparisons to other "intellectual" films, the really bizarre analogies/metaphors/similes, excessively pedantic word choice. If I were a film critic, this entire post would be one sentence. All this on top of the review being a mess of snarky, smug bullshit from people who often times just can't be entertained makes the whole scene an uninformative disaster. I feel like if I have to reread what you're trying to say multiple times and still don't get certain parts, you did a shitty job at condensing your thoughts therefore didn't get your point across. And that's your whole fucking job.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Film reviews actually piss me off more than game reviews honestly. Because even with the SHITTIEST game review, they're at least pragmatic in a way. You can understand what's being said and maybe even why it was said even if it's stupid or just not agreeable.

But film reviews are just snobby as fuck. And I don't even really mean in the opinions and content of the actual review though that is absolutely part of it. I can't even get passed the surface of them without rolling my eyes. They suck ass and just annoy the hell out of me. Look at any critic on RT or IMDB. Their wording... It's so fucking over the top in it's smug, pretentious, wordy bullshit. It sounds like some pseudo intellectual 14 year old that thinks saying "I enjoy reading the dictionary" is astute and cool and will get him social desirability for being soooooo smart. 

The run on sentences, comparisons to other "intellectual" films, the really bizarre analogies/metaphors/similes, excessively pedantic word choice. If I were a film critic, this entire post would be one sentence. All this on top of the review being a mess of snarky, smug bullshit from people who often times just can't be entertained makes the whole scene an uninformative disaster. I feel like if I have to reread what you're trying to say multiple times and still don't get certain parts, you did a shitty job at condensing your thoughts therefore didn't get your point across. And that's your whole fucking job.

Speaking of reviews, ...I have to wonder how many reviewers go by "It contains furries, therefor it sucks". It feels like even if a game or movie is good, if it stars anthros, it gets bad scores. If it stars humans but has anthro goodguys and supporting cast members, it's often docked in scores. BUT if it has humans as the only hero, and everything else is evil and demonic, it's automatically perfect and unhateable. Bonus points if the badguys are anthros. Frankly, I just stopped listening to reviews of stuff. I've watched a lot of movies and played a lot of games I ended up hating due to endless praise in the past.

16 minutes ago, BennyJackdaw said:

Speaking of reviews, ...I have to wonder how many reviewers go by "It contains furries, therefor it sucks". It feels like even if a game or movie is good, if it stars anthros, it gets bad scores. If it stars humans but has anthro goodguys and supporting cast members, it's often docked in scores. BUT if it has humans as the only hero, and everything else is evil and demonic, it's automatically perfect and unhateable. Bonus points if the badguys are anthros. Frankly, I just stopped listening to reviews of stuff. I've watched a lot of movies and played a lot of games I ended up hating due to endless praise in the past.

Ugh.

Do you talk about anything else?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

Ugh.

Do you talk about anything else?

Yeah, I talk about why people have to be jerks for no particular reason, if that counts, and if it's any consolation to you, I kind agreed with a lot of the points you made on movie reviews. To be honest, though, I disagree when you say they're inherently worse than videogame reviews. I see a lot of reviewers for games will try to pick every piece they can apart with a game while hiding dumb reasons for disliking the game, while at the same time glancing over real problems with a game they love as if it doesn't exist.

Just now, BennyJackdaw said:

Yeah, I talk about why people have to be jerks for no particular reason, if that counts, and it's any consolation to you, I kind agreed with a lot of the points you made on movie reviews. To be honest, though, I disagree when you say they're inherently worse than videogame reviews. I see a lot of reviewers for games will try to pick every piece they can apart with a game while hiding dumb reasons for disliking the game, while at the same time glancing over real problems with a game they love as if it doesn't exist.

I just think it's odd that "dirty hyoomins vs pristine perfect furries" was the first thing you jumped on in regards to the topic is all. Particularly because I have not seen that in years for both games and movies. The last instance I saw this were gamers being mildly adverse to playing Rivals of Aether due to it starring anthros, but that faded almost immediately and now has a massive competitive scene. People have been incredibly receptive to "furry" content in recent years if it's actually good and not trash like Major/Minor or Yooka Laylee (the latter in which the main protagonists were loved, but the game's mechanics were hated).

But anyway, I can agree on the rest of this post. I suppose it boils down to what you tolerate more. I'm probably just speaking in hyperbole when I say movie reviews are worse than game reviews. I tend to steer clear from both lately, but movie reviews often confuse the fuck out of me more than game reviews. Game reviews just suck.

4 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I just think it's odd that "dirty hyoomins vs pristine perfect furries" was the first thing you jumped on in regards to the topic is all. Particularly because I have not seen that in years for both games and movies. The last instance I saw this were gamers being mildly adverse to playing Rivals of Aether due to it starring anthros, but that faded almost immediately and now has a massive competitive scene. People have been incredibly receptive to "furry" content in recent years if it's actually good and not trash like Major/Minor or Yooka Laylee (the latter in which the main protagonists were loved, but the game's mechanics were hated).

But anyway, I can agree on the rest of this post. I suppose it boils down to what you tolerate more. I'm probably just speaking in hyperbole when I say movie reviews are worse than game reviews. I tend to steer clear from both lately, but movie reviews often confuse the fuck out of me more than game reviews. Game reviews just suck.

Ugh, it's not about, and I quote: "dirty hyoomins vs pristine perfect furries," I just notice a suspicious trend with gaming. Also, I just recently got into Rivals of Aether. There's going to be two new characters tomorrow, and I plan on getting them as soon as I can find a Steam Card. ...Though that's not relevant. (Also, never heard of Major/Minor.)

It might just be that I pay more attention to game reviews than movie reviews, since I'm not a big movie goer. I wouldn't mind seeing an example of what you're saying, though, I think it might be amusing to see what kind of junk movie reviewers can come up with.

6 minutes ago, BennyJackdaw said:

Ugh, it's not about, and I quote: "dirty hyoomins vs pristine perfect furries," I just notice a suspicious trend with gaming. Also, I just recently got into Rivals of Aether. There's going to be two new characters tomorrow, and I plan on getting them as soon as I can find a Steam Card. ...Though that's not relevant. (Also, never heard of Major/Minor.)

It might just be that I pay more attention to game reviews than movie reviews, since I'm not a big movie goer. I wouldn't mind seeing an example of what you're saying, though, I think it might be amusing to see what kind of junk movie reviewers can come up with.

Oh I can't recall any examples off the top of my head. I posted my initial rant after a conversation my friend and I had last night on how movie critics think hating everything = good taste and how garbage their formatting often is. But often times you can skim through Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB critic reviews and you'll see what I mean almost immediately.
Major/Minor was a mediocre-at-best, but actually terrible furry visual novel that was not finished upon release and was extremely shallow even for a VN. The developer was an egomaniac asshole and the game revolved around blowing rainbows up his mary sue self insert murrsona rather than an engaging plot. The characters all had the same face and was overall just not good. It wasn't as bad as Farnham Fables, but it's still really poor. 

And I forgot Ranno and Clairen drop tomorrow.

7 hours ago, BennyJackdaw said:

What

1.jpg.4ab1fdca788299b0b369aea7f6542edc.jpg

the literal fuck

2.jpg.249cf82ae58d2e8d806c25bbf8c9cbe0.jpg4.jpeg.5b7de2bab5f267f5048c82cf402a7cef.jpeg

are you even talking about.

3.jpg.b7a1b2eee32c813c9678de172b740647.jpg5.jpg.38630aa5623765acc187ad0474352e3b.jpgc8cf6ee7bd9015696b438fadd8d9fed0--mickey-mouse-pictures-la-star.thumb.jpg.2301bd2da7c8f472bba61c6f8756540f.jpg

And these are just the shit that I'm wasting five minutes to dig up images for.

Talking cartoon animals have been an embraced trope in media since like the beginning of animation.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Vae said:

What

the literal fuck

are you even talking about.

And these are just the shit that I'm wasting five minutes to dig up images for.

Talking cartoon animals have been an embraced trope in media since like the beginning of animation.

Except for Zootopia, all of that is quite old. It feels to me like "Has anthro goodguys = automatic suck" is a somewhat modern mindset, and I notice it a LOT more in today's media than I do in older media.

10 minutes ago, BennyJackdaw said:

Except for Zootopia, all of that is quite old. It feels to me like "Has anthro goodguys = automatic suck" is a somewhat modern mindset, and I notice it a LOT more in today's media than I do in older media.

You're not looking at a lot then.
Also keep in mind there isn't nearly as much as there used to be, particularly in massive budget developments. Times and focus have shifted to appeal to different demographics. But...

Sonic Mania
Skylar and Plux
OneShot
ZooTopia
Sing
Rivals of Aether
Crash NSane Trilogy
Ratchet and Clank 2016
SkyLander's SuperChargers 

And a lot of people are looking forward to things like BioMutant, Sonic Forces (please be better than it looks right now), and Super Lucky's Tale. People really do not go out of their way to shit on furry media like you'd think. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tsuujou said:

You're not looking at a lot then.
Also keep in mind there isn't nearly as much as there used to be, particularly in massive budget developments. Times and focus have shifted to appeal to different demographics

Sonic Mania
Skylar and Plux
OneShot
ZooTopia
Sing
Rivals of Aether
Crash NSane Trilogy
Ratchet and Clank 2016
SkyLander's SuperChargers 

And a lot of people are looking forward to things like BioMutant, Sonic Forces (please be better than it looks right now), and Super Lucky's Tale. People really do not go out of their way to shit on furry media like you'd think. 

...Huh, I have never even heard of Skylar and Plux or One Shot, and Super Lucky's Tale... isn't that related to that VR platformer from a while ago? Haven't played or watched any of those besides Rivals of Aether, but been a Sonic/Skylanders/Crash fan for a while.

I have to bring up the whole "Gary Stu" thing for Major/Minor: I must say that avoiding Gary Stus when making a character is difficult. It's really easy to just make a generic "nice guy" character, though with most heroes: that's how they start out. It's easy to just do that and call it a day, but going beyond that is difficult. I, personally, feel like I've gotten better at making characters than I used to, but I'm still learning. ...But yeah, Gary Stu's/Marry Sue's are very annoying. Even in a lot of media they're quite common. O_o

1 minute ago, BennyJackdaw said:

...Huh, I have never even heard of Skylar and Plux or One Shot, and Super Lucky's Tale... isn't that related to that VR platformer from a while ago? Haven't played or watched any of those besides Rivals of Aether, but been a Sonic/Skylanders/Crash fan for a while.

I have to bring up the whole "Gary Stu" thing for Major/Minor: I must say that avoiding Gary Stus when making a character is difficult. It's really easy to just make a generic "nice guy" character, though with most heroes: that's how they start out. It's easy to just do that and call it a day, but going beyond that is difficult. I, personally, feel like I've gotten better at making characters than I used to, but I'm still learning. ...But yeah, Gary Stu's/Marry Sue's are very annoying. Even in a lot of media they're quite common. O_o

Skylar and Plux and One Shot are newer indie titles that couldn't really get advertised much. I'm SUPER unfamiliar with OneShot but @Battlechili loves it so he'd know more. The new Lucky's Tale isn't VR, it's just a Mario 3D World clone with the character, but that's good because I thought Mario 3D World was rad and the game looks really damn good.

There's also Moss which is unfortunately VR, but it's very interesting in concept at least. Hopefully it goes the route of Lucky's Tale.

33 minutes ago, BennyJackdaw said:

Then you're thinking through the lens of a persecution complex, instead of observing trends and tropes and why they occur, to begin with.

Video games, for one, have a tendency to star human protagonists because the player is meant to experience the world through them. You need to be able to relate to the character you're playing.
It's the same reason people have been pushing back against the overuse of player characters as white males, because they want something they can relate to better.
And most people do not relate to a talking animal.

Animation, at times, carries the same mentality. Especially Japanese animation. It's why so many protags in cartoons are dopey noname kids until circumstances turn them into capable contributors and leaders of whatever they're doing.

No one is doing this because "ew, furries." No one outside of small internet circles and people who keep up religiously on internet trends (usually because it's their job) knows or gives a single shit about furries.

2 hours ago, BennyJackdaw said:

Also, I meant to respond to this. The gary stu in M/M is like...next level. His fursona is a celebrity in the game every character talks about and is this perfect sexual entity. Like it's actually a legit self insert. Almost like a harem. It's actually pretty cringey. It's not in the way of him being super powerful, but unrealistically socially desired.

Major/Minor's character design direction was fucking garbage anyway, but this is what happens when you self-insert anyone willing to pay a certain Kickstarter tier, without any modifications or requirements to make their designs or clothing fit their positions in your story.

Like if you wanted to make a case that furries are horrible at character design, literally all you'd have to present is that fucking game.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Vae said:

Major/Minor's character design direction was fucking garbage anyway, but this is what happens when you self-insert anyone willing to pay a certain Kickstarter tier, without any modifications or requirements to make their designs or clothing fit their positions in your story.

Like if you wanted to make a case that furries are horrible at character design, literally all you'd have to present is that fucking game.

The art is not something I would want in a game. It's only competent as something you find in a hobbyist's gallery on DA or FA.

16 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

The art is not something I would want in a game. It's only competent as something you find in a hobbyist's gallery on DA or FA.

Even as just run-of-the-mill furry art, it looks bad to me.

Super waxy, clashing colors all over the place, collarbone tits, nonsensical clothing, and plastic anime hair.

It's like a Dollar Tree Atlus style.

Tbh I think animal MCs ARE something that's somewhat frowned upon (though I don't see reviewers dissing things because of this, moreso just certain specific groups of people), particularly for larger games, but when we're getting stuff like Biomutant it definitely starts to seem like things are getting a lot better.

I mean its pretty much a AAA action title with a furry MC. I can't get over how unexpected and out of nowhere it seemed when it got announced. A little rough around the edges, but I'm hyped.

6 hours ago, BennyJackdaw said:

I have never even heard of OneShot

Its a really atmospheric rpgmaker indie game from 2014 developed by someone named Nightmargin for an RPGMaker contest that it nearly won. It got an updated and improved re-release late last year published by Degica (they typically do a lot of super niche Japanese games, though its worth noting that OneShot is Western).

In it, you play a cat named Niko who wakes up in a strange and dying world. With your help, you have to figure out a way to get Niko back home while exploring and learning more about what happened in this world and why you're there. Its gameplay is mostly puzzle based and its otherwise a walking simulator, where you explore and find items that you can combine together to create new items that helps you progress. What makes OneShot particularly special is the way you interact with it as a game; some of the puzzles and things in it interact with your computer directly, so you might be looking outside of the game to find a solution to a particular puzzle. Its short, around 3-4 hours in length but has multiple endings and routes to help mitigate that. (note that this only applies to the new and improved version; the original game only let you play it once, as you only had one shot). It also has REALLY good (and atmospherically fitting) music

as well as adorable dialogue.

59e59492e7b80_itstrueyouknow.png.21420433ca0fac2d14caff04f68714d2.png

I'd highly recommend it.

11 hours ago, Vae said:

Then you're thinking through the lens of a persecution complex, instead of observing trends and tropes and why they occur, to begin with.

Video games, for one, have a tendency to star human protagonists because the player is meant to experience the world through them. You need to be able to relate to the character you're playing.
It's the same reason people have been pushing back against the overuse of player characters as white males, because they want something they can relate to better.
And most people do not relate to a talking animal.

Animation, at times, carries the same mentality. Especially Japanese animation. It's why so many protags in cartoons are dopey noname kids until circumstances turn them into capable contributors and leaders of whatever they're doing.

No one is doing this because "ew, furries." No one outside of small internet circles and people who keep up religiously on internet trends (usually because it's their job) knows or gives a single shit about furries.

I've heard that argument a lot, but frankly, I don't buy it. I, personally, find videogames as a way of escaping reality. and playing as an anthro takes me away from one big thing I want to get away from: My own species and its burdens. Playing as a Space Marine or a Dragon Slayer actually shoves me back into that very uncomfortable place I play games like Sonic and Spyro to get away from, which is why I don't play games like Destiny or Monster Hunter. I also don't know if that many people really think that way, of needing to play as a human in order to get their "Own hero" in a videogame. A lot of people can relate just as well to their favorite animals or something new. Some people, even further, don't want "themselves" in a type of media, but rather someone they can learn about and grow to like.

9 hours ago, Vae said:

One bad example =/= "Furries are horrible at character design"

...Especially since people who make human characters can (and have been) just as bad at this.

7 hours ago, BennyJackdaw said:

I've heard that argument a lot, but frankly, I don't buy it. I, personally, find videogames as a way of escaping reality. and playing as an anthro takes me away from one big thing I want to get away from: My own species and its burdens. Playing as a Space Marine or a Dragon Slayer actually shoves me back into that very uncomfortable place I play games like Sonic and Spyro to get away from, which is why I don't play games like Destiny or Monster Hunter. I also don't know if that many people really think that way, of needing to play as a human in order to get their "Own hero" in a videogame. A lot of people can relate just as well to their favorite animals or something new. Some people, even further, don't want "themselves" in a type of media, but rather someone they can learn about and grow to like.

I can see the point of using games as escapism. But even that, you're in a minority if you identify with strictly anthro characters and should generally speak for yourself. If you connect better with animal characters, cool but it's a demonstrable fact that people generally want human characters in games as evident by the enormous debate in recent years demanding more representation of POC and female protagonists in gaming. You can't tell me you haven't seen this gigantic argument at all. Look into it. It's been everywhere in the last 5 years.  

Also, don't confuse relateable with appealing. Sonic is an appealing design, but I'm willing to bet most people couldn't relate to him in any respect even if they like him. If people relate to an animal character, it's really only because they're written well; i.e. given very human personality traits, or dealing with very human strife, or have believable human growth. Or the person is a diehard furry that doesn't care if the game/character/art is good as long as it's furry, in which they would probably account for less than a percent of people who play video games. Basically no one who needs to be taken into account when writing a narrative. Or they're otherkin in which they should be mocked, ostracized, and ridiculed vehemently.

But we can all agree that if you play as a spaceship and there's no talking in the game, that's better than either human or anthros. But spaceships are an oppressed minority and don't get representation these days. I miss the 90's.

59e64e8e793b1_pain(2).png.f701b64b092181cba6589ea4ffc8e1b5.png

8 hours ago, Plants said:

please don't have sex with the moth 

You're not my mom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tsuujou said:

I can see the point of using games as escapism. But even that, you're in a minority if you identify with strictly anthro characters and should generally speak for yourself. If you connect better with animal characters, cool but it's a demonstrable fact that people generally want human characters in games as evident by the enormous debate in recent years demanding more representation of POC and female protagonists in gaming. You can't tell me you haven't seen this gigantic argument at all. Look into it. It's been everywhere in the last 5 years.  

Also, don't confuse relateable with appealing. Sonic is an appealing design, but I'm willing to bet most people couldn't relate to him in any respect even if they like him. If people relate to an animal character, it's really only because they're written well; i.e. given very human personality traits, or dealing with very human strife, or have believable human growth. Or the person is a diehard furry that doesn't care if the game/character/art is good as long as it's furry, in which they would probably account for less than a percent of people who play video games. Basically no one who needs to be taken into account when writing a narrative. Or they're otherkin in which they should be mocked, ostracized, and ridiculed vehemently.

But we can all agree that if you play as a spaceship and there's no talking in the game, that's better than either human or anthros. But spaceships are an oppressed minority and don't get representation these days. I miss the 90's.

No, I have not, actually. I've not seen this world-wide phenomenon where people were begging for non-caucasian males or females in games. Most people I've met don't even think about the main star. As for "relating" to an animal with "human" traits, generally I relate to animal characters that have "human" traits that, honestly, I rarely see in humans anymore. A big reason I don't relate to most human videogame characters is because most of them ONLY care about the human race. They ONLY fight to save humans, killing everything else in their path without a thought. Elephants and dolphins? Don't matter. If they are in the way of saving one species, they'll be killed. On the villain's side, they are usually quite shallow: ONLY wanting to kill humans. If I was evil, I wouldn't care what I killed, but a lot of villains target specifically humans, while the heroes, who happen to be humans, will care about little else than their own species.

...That, in no way, is relatable for me, who cares deeply about other life. Non-human stars usually exist with other non-human races, and often fight to protect their fellow non-human races. Yes, I understand that someone who absolutely needs a non-human protagonist to fully enjoy a game is a minority, however I think you are exaggerating the amount of people that absolutely need humans. Yes, a lot of people will bitch because "Furries ruin media!" but at the same time, they too are a minority. They make up a very loud minority who can easily influence a large group of people, but a minority none-the-less. Most people will love a really good game whether it has a human OR an anthro.

11 hours ago, BennyJackdaw said:

I, personally

There's your problem.
You're one person.

Game companies are gonna give even less of a shit about you, singular, than they are about furries, which are already a minority audience.
And for good reason, because that would be stupid business decisions.

One bad example =/= "Furries are horrible at character design"

...Especially since people who make human characters can (and have been) just as bad at this.

Major/Minor is one of those kinds of games that got marketed as by furries, for furries. It got a huge amount of support from people (who admittedly are complete jokes, but the point stands) who are big in the fandom. It won fandom awards.

This garbage is what people think makes a "good" furry game.

Compare that to how many hundreds of human-protag games have really good character design.

1 hour ago, BennyJackdaw said:

No, I have not, actually. I've not seen this world-wide phenomenon where people were begging for non-caucasian males or females in games.

That's because you only talk to furries.
Broaden your fucking horizons a bit. That argument's been all over the place.

59 minutes ago, Vae said:

There's your problem.
You're one person.

Game companies are gonna give even less of a shit about you, singular, than they are about furries, which are already a minority audience.
And for good reason, because that would be stupid business decisions.

Major/Minor is one of those kinds of games that got marketed as by furries, for furries. It got a huge amount of support from people (who admittedly are complete jokes, but the point stands) who are big in the fandom. It won fandom awards.

This garbage is what people think makes a "good" furry game.

Compare that to how many hundreds of human-protag games have really good character design.

That's because you only talk to furries.
Broaden your fucking horizons a bit. That argument's been all over the place.

I hate to mince words, but honestly it sounds like you are talking out of your ass.

Yeah, I'm ONE person, but I'm one person in a group of people that you're treating as an insignificant minority that's actually not as small as you make it out to be. If we are such a minority, why are there so many sites dedicated to furries. You say making a game with "furries" is bad, but again: only furry haters are going to care that much about the game staring anthros.

You make Major/Minor out to be the entire fandom, when it's just ONE game... supported by a limited group of furries... Not to mention, the maker is the reason the game sucks, not the furries who supported it. There are still furry games out there people put work and effort into that actually ended up being good, so making an argument by zooming in on one game isn't a very good argument.

No, that's just asinine logic.

What "good character designed human-protags" are you even talking about? Your entire post is basically degenerating to the idea that only furries can be Gary Stus, yet a big problem I have with most "well made human-protags" is not just because they're human, but because a lot of them are, sorry, Gary Stus, and a lot of the ones that aren't are still very generic. Human or not, video game designers generally don't put a lot of thought into their characters.

Just because I hang around furries doesn't mean I ONLY hang around furries. Don't make asinine assumptions, please.

18 minutes ago, BennyJackdaw said:

If we are such a minority, why are there so many sites dedicated to furries.

Because they're made by furries.

It's almost like people make sites and hubs dedicated to the interests they have.
Shocking, I know.

You also have a severe underestimation of how many people are actually on this earth if you think furries come even close to something resembling "mattering" in terms of markets and sales. They don't.
They really don't.

You say making a game with "furries" is bad, but again: only furry haters are going to care that much about the game staring anthros

I neither said that making games with furries is "bad," nor that people are going to actively dislike that being a thing.

I said that it was bad for business, because the average person isn't going to relate to a furry protagonist. A neutral is not a negative, but a neutral is bad for business.

You make Major/Minor out to be the entire fandom, when it's just ONE game... supported by a limited group of furries... Not to mention, the maker is the reason the game sucks, not the furries who supported it. There are still furry games out there people put work and effort into that actually ended up being good, so making an argument by zooming in on one game isn't a very good argument

I didn't say it was the entire fandom. I said it was a game that was supported by people who are "big name" in the fandom, therefore it's gonna get more exposure as being representative of the fandom.

I also didn't say the Patreon supporters were at fault. In fact, I even went against this in stating that the makers should have altered the submitted characters to fit the world better.

I don't know why you keep misreading my posts, because I'm not a fucking vague person. But please learn how to process words, and stop making shit up in your head that I never stated.

Your entire post is basically degenerating to the idea that only furries can be Gary Stus, yet a big problem I have with most "well made human-protags" is not just because they're human, but because a lot of them are, sorry, Gary Stus, and a lot of the ones that aren't are still very generic. Human or not, video game designers generally don't put a lot of thought into their characters.

Again, I never said shit about Mary Sues or Gary Stus. Where the fuck are you reading any of this in my posts?

I'm not giving you examples because there's a shitload of human-protag games. Go do your own research.

Just because I hang around furries doesn't mean I ONLY hang around furries. Don't make asinine assumptions, please.

Then don't talk like furry is the center of the universe, and like you never leave your mother's basement.
I'm going purely by the context and attitudes you present.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Plants said:

Not enough hate for this thread imo. OneShot is good as hell, also. 

A thing I hate is when I'm doing research and I come across things written like this:

bugs24.thumb.jpg.29401cf25567ec7134ab442ffb075f56.jpg

please don't have sex with the moth 

This is unsettlingly close to someone describing their RP character.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Vae said:

Because they're made by furries.

It's almost like people make sites and hubs dedicated to the interests they have.
Shocking, I know.

You also have a severe underestimation of how many people are actually on this earth if you think furries come even close to something resembling "mattering" in terms of markets and sales. They don't.
They really don't.

I neither said that making games with furries is "bad," nor that people are going to actively dislike that being a thing.

I said that it was bad for business, because the average person isn't going to relate to a furry protagonist. A neutral is not a negative, but a neutral is bad for business.

I didn't say it was the entire fandom. I said it was a game that was supported by people who are "big name" in the fandom, therefore it's gonna get more exposure as being representative of the fandom.

I also didn't say the Patreon supporters were at fault. In fact, I even went against this in stating that the makers should have altered the submitted characters to fit the world better.

I don't know why you keep misreading my posts, because I'm not a fucking vague person. But please learn how to process words, and stop making shit up in your head that I never stated.

Again, I never said shit about Mary Sues or Gary Stus. Where the fuck are you reading any of this in my posts?

I'm not giving you examples because there's a shitload of human-protag games. Go do your own research.

Then don't talk like furry is the center of the universe, and like you never leave your mother's basement.
I'm going purely by the context and attitudes you present.

Yeah, but compare furries to other random interests. How many forums are there just for furries? How many art sites? How many groups on Deviant Art? It's just an interest, but it's still a somewhat popular one.

Several billion is a lot of humans. Even if furries do take up less than 1% (Mind you I've seen no proof of where we stand as a fandom population wise) that's still tens of thousands of people.

That's why they still make anthro games and they still sell well, because it's so totally a bad business decision. This whole logic is ruled by the misguided impression that only a furry could possibly enjoy games with talking animals, which unfortunately is incorrect. It's also ruled by the opinion that most people care all that much about the star rather than the game itself besides some furries, furry haters and the limited pool of other people that even give a flying fuck. Bad game design and reviews, biased and non-biased, are what hurt a games sales: not anthros.

Gee, if I'm as obsessed with furries as you say I am, then surely I should have heard of it before now. It's true that I look for every good furry/anthro game I can find, but I've never even heard of that one till it came up. Besides, a few "Big Name" furries is still not the entire fandom.

Let's see... You're talking as if you're angry, you're shoving one bad example of a furry game in my face, you're using theoretical logic that probably has less truth than you make it out to be (mind you a lot of my points are theoretical as well, but no less valid or invalid) and you're talking in a way that suggests about you a lot of the things you are refuting. I'm not twisting words, I'm only using your own.

You said so yourself "human-protag games have really good character design." and compared it the lead in Major/Minor, with Gary Stu usually being used to describe very poorly ballanced and/or perfect characters. Even if you aren't intentionally using those words, you suggested that you believe the characters in Major/Minor are Gary Stus.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!! We have a winner, folks! "I don't know why you keep misreading my posts, because I'm not a fucking vague person. But please learn how to process words, and stop making shit up in your head that I never stated." Words said BY YOU that you've contradicted in your posts by saying "I'm going purely by the context and attitudes you present," which is the very thing I've been doing to you the whole time. You say I'm speaking as if furries are pure, yet I hate to point this out, but you've been speaking and using logic as if you think very much the opposite. My problem is not only that there isn't enough quality anthro games, but too often humans in media are portrayed as god's perfect little snowflake, and only they can have any good morals or rational thoughts (which is untrue even in the real world), as well as the bias surrounding a lot of reviewers.

2 hours ago, BennyJackdaw said:

wqe3eeee.PNG.13f4f53c1f38f0f987b91e4b2b807747.PNG

This is like a school-length essay. Nah thanks, I'm good.

Also this has been going on since Monday. It's Wednesday. I'm bored now, and trying to make a point is like arguing with a potato.

If you want to drag it out further, take it to my inbox. I'll be sure to run your responses through the word counter again for fun and learning, unless they're not ridiculous lengths for a casual-ass forum.
But it doesn't belong in this thread. And neither does going "BUT WHAT ABOUT DA FURRIEZ??" at random fucking posts that have nothing to do with the fandom. Keep it to yourself.

Sausage gravy. More than that, people who decide that I don't know what I'm talking about when I say I don't like gravy, so of course I need a big old jiggly dollop of that crap all over my biscuits. 

I would sooner set my biscuits on fire than drench them in nasty, white, booger-looking gravy with little sad little flecks of sausage trash in it. I was just gonna use butter but no Brenda be like "Here you go, sweetie, have some of this southern goodness <3 <3 <3" Splat. 

NO FUCKING THANKS, BRENDA. Your gravy isn't fucking magical gravy that makes my biscuits any less soggy gross. >8[

I thought about my dog again this morning, she's on my mind a lot lately because she's about 13 now, more or less, and she's got 7 years at most if she's a very lucky dog (she is a very healthy, active small dog). Though I'm cautiously awaiting it to be closer to 3-5 years, and I dont live with my parents anymore to see the state of her day to day health. Which is even worse since if something happens to her I wont be there to see it.

I dont know how I'd feel if she passed on someday, but Im surely not feeling well about it already

• Like 1

Getting sucked into religious debates, on furry sites...I'd rather we just made animal noises at each other than words: P

Pagan Fossa: Hisssssss!

Christian Fox: Yap! Yap! Yap!

Atheist Wolf: Grrrrrrrrrr.....

Agnostic Cat: Snarl!

or at least this what it always seems to boil down to.

• Like 2

Speaking of things I hate...

4 minutes ago, Fossa said:

I'd rather we just made animal noises at each other than words: P

Pagan Fossa: Hisssssss!

Christian Fox: Yap! Yap! Yap!

Atheist Wolf: Grrrrrrrrrr.....

Agnostic Cat: Snarl!

Thank you for volunteering this demonstration.