Metroid

Rabbit Head

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Lopaw said:

I hope nintendo makes the next non-spinoff game in the series with the intention of gluing the fanbase back together. Seeing that Other M caused it to break in two.

Honestly, Metroid Prime already sort of did that. Can't tell you how many people I've come across who hated it without even playing it because "HURR DURR EFF PEE ESS!!! IT'S A CALL OF HALO CLONE!!!"

I have legit seen Nintendo fans for years swear Prime just wanted to rip off of Halo despite them being 100% different aside from the choice of camera.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XoPachi said:

Honestly, Metroid Prime already sort of did that. Can't tell you how many people I've come across who hated it without even playing it because "HURR DURR EFF PEE ESS!!! IT'S A CALL OF HALO CLONE!!!"

I have heard of people like that but when I played Metroid Prime at the time I was too young to notice the cracks appearing. I personally felt Other M played totally different from any other game in the series and not in a good way.

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up! I was waiting on downloading it but I'll go ahead and grab it now. Though it looks like for now this only applies to the specific Metroid Database website.

3 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

#stevenuniverse

Why does this make me laugh so much?

31 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Game got DMCA'd. Get it while it's still simple and safe to download.

I saw that coming a mile off given how nintendo is often heavy handed in these sort of things.

Why is it if someone makes a fanmade game nowadays it is highly likely to get C&D'd rather than integrated somewhere into the series it was based off. Or at least acknowledged and left alone.

I beat beat AM2R this morning and I loved it! It's so polished and wonderful and everything I wanted in a new metroid title!

I don't think even nintendo DMCA-ing this game is going to kill it.

It's too late.

It's out.

People are playing it.

LPers are covering it.

People HAVE the file and can copy and share it with each other easily. 

If the main AM2R site itself gets hit, I'D be perfectly happy to share copies of the game with people myself.

GOOD FUCKING LUCK, NINTENDO.

tumblr_oblccxQFwE1sonvd0o1_54022.png

On my bluetooth SNES controller,
the way this shit was meant to be done.

Also, I finally delved into this game. Never played Metroid 2, so it's an entirely new experience to me.
So far, it's fantastic.

2 hours ago, Vae said:

Also, I finally delved into this game. Never played Metroid 2, so it's an entirely new experience to me.
So far, it's fantastic.

The original wasn't that great. At least you could aim downwards though.

Of course Nintendo targets a fan game that doesn't suck.

Yeeeaaah. I'll be the first to say that I really never thought Metroid 1 or 2 were any good anymore when I played them. And at the time, I don't think Metroid really worked for Gameboy.

2 hours ago, 6tails said:

My only gripe about the game is the fluidity of control versus the original title. The newer one is just a tiny bit jerky and clumsy in comparison to the original Gameboy counterpart.

I felt the Zero Mission mechanics were a huge step up personally. I can't say it made Super's malleable floatiness obsolete, but every action felt very...confirming in the Zero Mission/Fusion engine? Like you know the inputs will make Samus do exactly what you tell her.

I feel like it removes any possible input flubs and reduces missteps like I frequently had in older Metroid games. And I feel like the weight makes sense for what I assume is a mid weight set of armor. At the same time, there feels to be a good bit of speed that comes with the added heft; not being in the air for too long all the time and firmly planting yourself when you land.

Turok 1 had the same thing where when you land from a jump, your character stops for a few frames. I feel like that's done as a bit of a safety measure.

This game is amazing! @_@ 
A long time ago I played Metroid: Zero Mission and didn't care for it, and while I liked Metroid Prime, I didn't like how lonely it felt. I never beat either of those games. But now playing this...I'm having loads of fun! This is the some of the most fun I've had playing a video game all year! I regret not giving Metroid games another chance! After I beat this (and I fully intend to beat it), I'm going to play Super Metroid (and also give Zero Mission and Prime another go)! This game feels so fast and responsive. The sense of exploration it gives is just enough to make it feel like the player has a lot of freedom without being too open-ended. I love it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6tails said:

Which, the giant mechanical 360-degree weapon? That's the one I'm having fun with right now >.>

Fun as fuck boss. Reminds me of Covered Core Mk II from Gradius V.

Now the Zeta Metroids are CRUSHING me. They do 90 damage a swipe. I think they did like 50 on normal. You can't really be too careless in this mode.

I haven't run into any bugs or crashes so far either, although it didn't wanna detect my controller at first. But I think that was more at the fault of my laptop being shitty about bluetooth connections.

Speaking of the control scheme: I was never really fond of ZM's "Samus is as heavy as a garbage truck full of bricks" aspect.
Makes sense in context (6ft woman in huge metal suit), but wasn't fond of it in gameplay. I liked Super's floatier controls overall. Better for freedom and exploration (which are my priorities), worse for speedruns and quick maneuvering towards / around enemies.

But that doesn't make one or the other inherently superior. It's just something I have to get used to.

Omegas for some reason were way easier than zetas you can cheese them way harder since they don't slash your missiles. And the only places you fight them have terrain that let's you take cover and avoid everything. Hit them after they jump with a super. Run back and let them turn around to give you some space.

Also, you can try all you want to make them ugly, but I want a plushie of every Metroid type. 

27 minutes ago, 6tails said:

IIRC from the Metroid Manga, SR-388 was barely the size of a small moon in the first place and should have had lower gravity like Zebes.

Well they retooled Zebes to have heavier gravity in ZM. So...
*shrug*
Lol.

At least from a canonical standpoint, it still makes sense. Even if I dun like it.

26 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Also, you can try all you want to make them ugly, but I want a plushie of every Metroid type. 

Put them in a pack and sell them as a set.
10 / 10. Would get.

If Nintendo wasn't currently anuspained over Metroid because no one approved of Sakamoto's frail anime waifu Samus, anyway.

6 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Let me guess, you couldn't get to that fucking PITA thing in the upper-right corner of the map behind a power bomb AND speed wall.

I managed after many attempts to get that (forgot what it was) after jumping through the door and by luck managed to crouch on landing in the room to keep the shinespark. Go into morph ball and drop power bomb, then released the shinespark through the speed wall.

I think I am missing two items in hidden parts of the map I didn't find.

The best way to get that upgrade was using the lower platform to shinespark up to the door. There's an incline intentionally put on the ledge above just before the hatch. You can land it at the perfect but relatively easy to hit angle and not have to worry about timing your crouch as you would jumping from the higher platform since inclines don't stop momentum after an SS. The only chore is killing the "Spikehats" on the straight away so as to avoid any interruptions in your speed boost...

2 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Well, Federation Force is simply not pretty. The 3DS, a console with roughly 4x the CPU power, 3X the GPU power, and ~3x the RAM as the GameCube, has this horrible-res blocky as crap sequel that doesn't even look as good as Prime did on the GC.

No wonder Nintendo started killing word of AM2R - it hands-down beats the shit out of Federation Force.

Basically.

I was also told that FF started development on the OG DS which would explain the visual fidelity. Also, godDAMN that game looks slow as fuck. I understand that they're in mechs, but let's be honest, this game is no fucking MechWarrior. Every gameplay video from sites like Polygon have them abusing the side dash to get a reasonable speed. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be so hard on this game if it just looked better. Sure, it's not the Metroid we wanted but there's some cute ideas here. I really can't be upset with a spinoff and it isn't as offensive as Other M, it's just painful to get this after Other M. But it looks boring, ugly, and not as varied as the few good reviews make it seem. The music also sounds like cheap stock budget Star Wars game music. Probably not the worst thing I'll play, but damn dude. This level of mediocre is palpable.

• 3 weeks later...