Refine the Forum Name?

ArielMT

I think I could like Phoenixed.

We don't need to be some super-unique hipster congress. Keep it simple, keep it short and keep it memorable. Phoenix accomplishes that. 

Phoenix is short and simple and mostly memorable, but it doesn't set us apart from much beyond the desert city.  When we tell folks about this place, some of them are inevitably going to forget the address and search, and because it's such a common name, they won't be able to find us again.  It's worse than searching for that long-ago dancer Fred without knowing his last name.

In fact, there's a Web site ranking much higher in searches for "phoenix forums" that's been known for many years to occasionally serve malware to visitors.

I think I could like Phoenixed.

Phoenix is short and simple and mostly memorable, but it doesn't set us apart from much beyond the desert city.  When we tell folks about this place, some of them are inevitably going to forget the address and search, and because it's such a common name, they won't be able to find us again.  It's worse than searching for that long-ago dancer Fred without knowing his last name.

In fact, there's a Web site ranking much higher in searches for "phoenix forums" that's been known for many years to occasionally serve malware to visitors.

... All I can really say is; Touché.

I still stand by keeping it simple and short. As long as we don't go with the Almighty Forum of Fur-Fanatics, I'll be happy.

(Though AFFF would be a fun acronym) 

I'm using a browser that has never visited this domain until today, and there's no favicon.  It's definitely a cached favicon.

Also, some more ideas:

Are we going to be a hub for the intersection of the furry fandom and other fandoms/interests?

Phoenix Waypoint

Phoenix Hub - inb4 we're not a kid-friendly TV channel

Phoenix Crossroads

On the last thread, Phoenix Alight, Phoenix Ashes and Phoenix Anthro were huge contenders. I like 'Phoenix Ashes'.

I'm gonna say that even though I like furries and all, I don't understand why the name needs to scream furries. Apple is apple, white computers and innovation comes with what the brand sells. The name could be relevant to the fandom, but doesn't need straight up 'Phoenix Furry furoms' for it to work. If you desperately need a subtitle, 'An anthro appreciative community' could work. 

I do like Phoenixed. I am going to go on the record that I hate visiting sites that are obvious with their purpose. There's a difference in visiting reddit or tumblr where they have aesthetics that are tame enough that when someone looks over your shoulder, they don't know what its for, but you do, because you're familiar with their brand and what they provide for you.

marketing lessons, yo. 

Phoenix Forums: An Anthro Art and Community 

Or maybe better yet, call it Phoenix Forums, with the subtitle of "Anthro community" or what have you.

This basically sums up how I feel about it. We don't need to make the actual forum title itself long or hard to remember. As long as the subtitle is difficult to miss (i.e. right on the banner itself) then we can use that to explain who and what we are. Though @ArielMT makes a good point regarding the Phoenix title, so a substitute might be worth considering... only issue is it's hard to come up with a better one.

I like this in theory but not in execution. Saying and reading "Phoenixed" is just too muddy and convoluted. 

Also I agree with this. I like it as a gag, but I really don't want it to stay that way for too long.

• Like 1

I like this in theory but not in execution. Saying and reading "Phoenixed" is just too muddy and convoluted. 

The idea of the phoenix as a symbol is both relevant and succinct. The drawback of course is that we are not the first ones to use it as @ArielMT pointed out before. I would be open to suggestions on alternative variations of "phoenix" that remain fitting or whether we should keep it as just a mascot and symbol instead while adopting a different name.

I like the tagline, but I'm not to fond of "phoenixed."

Should I revert it back to "The Phoenix Forums" or "The Phoenix Anthro Community" etc ? Like @Lemon I am not particularly a fan of names that scream "furry". Which specific tagline, I had mentioned two in my post.

This basically sums up how I feel about it. We don't need to make the actual forum title itself long or hard to remember. As long as the subtitle is difficult to miss (i.e. right on the banner itself) then we can use that to explain who and what we are. Though @ArielMT makes a good point regarding the Phoenix title, so a substitute might be worth considering... only issue is it's hard to come up with a better one.

Also I agree with this. I like it as a gag, but I really don't want it to stay that way for too long.

(The) Phoenix(ed) (Community) Forum seems to have stuck as an unofficial name for now, and I consider it a temporary title such as Codename Phoenix (that is ironically fitting given the state of Project Phoenix) and regardless of what decisions on a name we settle on in the next weeks, The Phoenix has cemented itself as our brand identity and our mascot, that does not mean it also has to be our name.

"Phoenix Ashes" just never felt right to me and variations of it like "Ashes of the Phoenix" or "Rise of the Phoenix" are complicated when a simple name is what is called for.
"Phoenix Anthro" feels too disjointed, and "Phoenix Anthro Community" implies a forum catering to phoenixes.
"FauxAffinity" while the second popular option, has me wondering if it would make us seem bitter or petty.

I tried looking for mythological creatures that symbolize rebirth, but it seems like the Phoenix basically covers that entire category. That said, I didn't do a very in depth look, and I'm no mythology expert. If we want to find a new name, maybe we should break it down first and look for core values we want to be invoked by the forum's name. That's just my opinion on it, either way.

Phoenix looks fine and all to me, in all honesty it reminds me of my icon <w<
But as far as new names go, I think either "Phoenix Forums: An Anthro Art and Community" or "Phoenix Anthro Community", both of which have been suggested in previous posts, fullfil the purpose of implying it's a furry art/discussion community (and they still have the letters PCO in the name, so Peeko still works! =D).

The idea of the phoenix as a symbol is both relevant and succinct. The drawback of course is that we are not the first ones to use it as @ArielMT pointed out before. I would be open to suggestions on alternative variations of "phoenix" that remain fitting or whether we should keep it as just a mascot and symbol instead while adopting a different name.

I think I see what you're saying. I'd wager that "Phoenixed" would sound better with a prefix, like maybe "RePhoenixed" but then again this might have the same problem as just Phonexed where it gets a little too complicated :p

Guys. Phoenixed is temporary. We gotta think of legit names before I go and start designing since I'm the official person to do so. 

Pre-Paff, there was 'Phoenix Ashes', Phoenix Antrho Forums' and 'Phoenix Alliance' and 'Phoenix Alight' as popular categories. You guys being okay with just 'Phoenix Forums' doesn't set it apart, makes it difficult to brand, and also.. just isn't fun. :o

I thought it was permanent, are we not keeping it? 

We'll keep it if it has enough support, but we weren't planning on that when we made it.

I'm going to put all the suggestions together into a list here and in the staff forum on Friday night or Saturday morning, Saturday night for eastern hemisphere folks.

We'll keep it if it has enough support, but we weren't planning on that when we made it.

I'm going to put all the suggestions together into a list here and in the staff forum on Friday night or Saturday morning, Saturday night for eastern hemisphere folks.

Great, I look forward to seeing it :D

I like the name it has now, although I also think it would be nice if there was some kind of allusion to the fact that we mostly cater to furries. Maybe just replace "raised from the dead more times than Lazarus" with something like "an anthro art community" or maybe "den of perversion and depravity" 

yeah, that has a nice ring to it :3

I'm in favor of Phoenix Anthro Forums or whatever. Just some sort of indicator that this is a furry forum (Phoenix Furry Forum has a nice alliteration to it, ehehe) If we are to cater to more than just the former FAF community then that distinction is absolutely necessary. 

It still isn't necessarily important in the title. It can be in the subtitle, as long as it is visible at the top when you first open the site. Also, it's not necessarily at all to cater to non-FAF people (Hell, I'm here, I'm not ex-FAF). If anything, you'd have to state it IS forum made from ex-FAF users for it to cater just to the former FAF community. There's a lot of FAF in this comment, I apologize.

These are the names suggested so far:

1. Anthro Phoenix Forums
  2. Bass Furry Forum
  3. Codename Phoenix
  4. Exploding Crows (Phoenix Corvidae)
  5. Fafnix
  6. FauxAffinity Forums
  7. Fenix
  8. Furth Reich
  9. Hooked on Phoenix
  10. Horsecock Forums
  11. Peeko
  12. Peenix
  13. Phaf
  14. Phoenix Alight
  15. Phoenix Alliance
  16. Phoenix Anthro Art Community
  17. Phoenix Anthro Forums
  18. Phoenix Arisen Forums
  19. Phoenix Ashes
  20. Phoenix Crossroads
  21. Phoenixed Forums
  22. Phoenix Forums
  23. Phoenix Fur Forums
  24. Phoenix Hub
  25. phoenixpla.net
  26. Phoenix Planet (any address)
  27. Phoenix Waypoint
  28. RePhoenixed

Now to figure out how to make a poll for all these names.

By the way, folks, "none of the above" is a valid choice.  Any names not on this list, feel free to suggest them.