I don't like the show "What Would You Do?". Here's why

VGmaster9

The fact that whatever happens in that show is complete opposite to a real situation. The actors who portray the perpetrators act nothing compared to an actual person doing such things. Also, the people who witness the act actually speak up to the actor, while in a real situation they just do nothing. One good example would be where there's a line in a grocery store cash register, where the cashier is taking too long because he's old. A guy starts getting mad at him, then people start calling the other guy out. Of course, the actor playing the elderly hater is calm and collected. Now tell me, how do you think it would've turned out if that was a real situation? Chances are, the guy would get be screaming, get violent, cursing at the other people in line, and even punching someone. Either that, or the people in line would just do nothing.

I agree with you to some extent. Most of us will just say nothing, but what the show points out is that while most do and say absolutely nothing or try to do something silently (like talk to a manager), there are some people who will speak out directly. In your example, some people really are ballsy enough to be a dick when they think the masses are on their side, but will curl up into a ball of coward if they're called out by those masses for being a dick. I had a similar situation happen when I worked in retail. We had 2 cashiers in particular that were quite slow, one was elderly and the other was disabled but high-functioning. Both were very friendly and regular customer favorites despite their slowness. Both had people complain about them to the managers and the managers had to scold them for not meeting certain criteria we were all supposed to meet, but one day someone decided to complain to the elderly lady's face that she was talking too much and he was in a hurry, that the store was busy so she needed to save the chit-chat for later on her own time instead of wasting everyone else's... Immediately the gal who she was checking out at the time shut him right up and I couldn't quite hear his response, but it sounded like he sort of got an attitude about it but shut up right after. It's not the only time either that people were outright rude to us and we had other customers defend us because they knew we just had to sit back and take it, couldn't defend ourselves or we'd be in trouble...

I haven't watched the show all that much, but I think the point of it is to get people thinking that if they witness something they should do something about it and much less about playing out situations 100% realistically. Some of these things are played out very silly, but some of them are played out as close to realistically as you can get while still drawing responses. It really just depends on the actors and the situation they have to play out. I do remember one episode in particular where there was some silliness by the bads. It was a bar scene and some guys were putting stuff into a girl's drink when she went away. A couple of their attempts were pretty sneaky, but other attempts were blatantly obvious. The problem is, to get reactions out of people they have to make sure they get seen... Sometimes no one noticed them do it so they had to do it AGAIN in a more obvious fashion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I saw on a "what would you do" type of thing really bothered me. It was an LGBT in the military type of deal and several bits stuck out as being particularly wrong to me. The scenario was this: Two lesbian soldiers go to a diner and engage in PDA, then get harrassed for being gay by another actor to see how other people react.

Here are the problems I spotted: the two gay people in question were showing a lot of PDA, a lot more than is appropriate when in uniform. It's a requirement of military personal to maintain professionalism while in full uniform, moderate kissing and hugging is ok upon homecoming and deployment; making out, leg rubbing, hand holding and what not is definitely not ok. Also I don't quite remember what it was but at the time I caught something wrong with the uniforms themselves. I think once someone in the diner actually called the actors out on not being real military and you had a few people commenting that they needed to respect the uniform. The whole set up was very unconvincing and the over enthusiastic PDA while dressed like US soldiers ended up kind of undermining the theme of the "What would you do".