Rave: Discounts on Sale Items

Summercat

Managed to have some time right before work, so I hit up the grocery store (Albertsons) right near by to see if there was anything I wnated to grab before work, as well as grab some plates (forgot to grab one before leaving home). I also knew that they had a sale on ground beef, 1.99/lb for 85% lean, so was thinking of grabbing a package to take home since I just took out my last frozen poundage or so of ground beef.

And there, in the discount section of the meat department, were 4 2lb packages, dated sell-by today, with $3.00 off coupons. There were also some other ones, smaller packages, but they only had $1 off.

So of course I grabbed them all. Four dollars for eight pounds of meat? That'll cover me a good portion of the month! Luckily we've a mini-fridge at work, so it'll keep until my shift is over and I can get home. 

As a tip, you can use zip lock bags but then partially submerge the bags in water to more effectively push the air out of them, then seal the zip lock bags with them as submerged as possible without letting water poor into the opening.  By minimizing the amount of air in the bags, you can prolong their freezer time before freezer burn sets in. :)

• Like 3

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

As a tip, you can use zip lock bags but then partially submerge the bags in water to more effectively push the air out of them, then seal the zip lock bags with them as submerged as possible without letting water poor into the opening.  By minimizing the amount of air in the bags, you can prolong their freezer time before freezer burn sets in. :)

Yup, already do my best to minimize air when I freeze things. Now it's just a matter of deciding what to do with the stuff; currently the only thing I can think of that fits my diet (vaguely Atkins; goal is minimizing carbs) is mexican with low carb tortillas. I suppose I could try making meatmuffins again.

Meatmuffins; it was meatloaf in a muffin pan. With cheese filling and a ketchup/bbq sauce brushed on top, then baked. Turned out okay-ish, but would probably want to use 90% lean for it, not the 85%.

Yesss, getting meat at a huge discount is always great. If you get to go early enough here (I go when my shifts end at around 7am, so quite early and probably right after they mark it down) you can catch deals on many different types of meat and get your choice of the lot. I exclusively buy meat that way. As long as you don't get the stuff that is starting to turn brown (most discount meat is still 95% red) then it ends up being the same quality, but for so much cheaper. I am a tad envious though of just how cheap you got that beef, though. Not quite as cheap here, but still pretty nice discounts. I haven't bought meat in a while because money has been super tight lately and I had enough to get by when I really needed some.

Also meatloaf in muffin size is an amazing idea. Last time I made meatloaf though it didn't turn out good. >< Not sure what I did wrong. Definitely want to try muffin-sized loafs though some time. Is there a special recipe for doing it that way or do you just use a normal meatloaf recipe?

15 hours ago, 6tails said:

You'll love the prices and try filling your vehicle/the Metrolink for the return trip home, I can almost guarantee it.

Sadly, I'm well stuck behind the Boots Theory for right now, and have *very* limited frozen and fridge storage. I have the bottom-most drawer in a freezer, a single shelf in a fridge, and a single shelf in the kitchen for dry storage, and have to end up storing my pots, pans, and dishes in my room.  

And what storage I have is only after the landlord allowed us to get a second fridge. 

15 hours ago, Kinare said:

Is there a special recipe for doing it that way or do you just use a normal meatloaf recipe?

I used the normal recipe for 'em at the time; it's just putting them into smaller chunks and smaller pan. They'll cook a bit faster that way. Do make certain to use some sort of liner, because they will stick. 

I'm going to have to look into options because I can't have breadcrumb stuff anymore.