Genderfluid/Agender UK teen can't get bank account, has to choose gender on forms

Crazy Lee

1 minute ago, Lucyfish said:

You're thinking of a thesaurus. The reason "sex" is there at the front is because dictionaries include words with multiple definitions to indicate that that particular definition is IN REGARDS to sex. The definition itself comes after, which is the characteristics typically assigned to a certain sex.

Typically.

TYPICALLY.

CHARACTERISTICS.

TYPICALLY.

FUCK.

Let's start over.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gender

Definition 2.a is: _ _ _.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/gender

Definition 1.1 is: The members of one or other _ _ _.

Those are dictionaries, not thesauruses.

5 minutes ago, Conker said:

Goddamn. I'm 27 and I use that label and I still dunno if ti's actually true or not. It's just easier than going to therapy.

You fall outside the group I was referring to, then.

1 minute ago, Ricky said:

Let's start over.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gender

Definition 2.a is: _ _ _.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/gender

Definition 1.1 is: The members of one or other _ _ _.

Those are dictionaries, not thesauruses.

Do you not know how to read a dictionary? 2.a is not the definition, it is the indication of what definition 2 refers to.

NONE of this is an excuse to use the word "gender" improperly, mind you. You're just making bad excuses to not learn proper grammar.

Wow, it's almost like language doesn't evolve over time as needed, to accommodate our growing understanding of subjects and how to refer to them, and how people are actually using a word.
It's like this totally isn't ever a thing.
That totally doesn't ever happen.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

Do you not know how to read a dictionary? 2.a is not the definition, it is the indication of what definition 2 refers to.

I do, and maybe I'll make a Power Point presentation of it, sometime :V

For now, since this is obviuously not working for you, scroll down on the Merriam Webster page and there is a definition for children:

definition_for_children.png

Is THIS clear enough o.O?

Just now, Ricky said:

I do, and maybe I'll make a Power Point presentation sometime :V

For now, since this is obviuously not working for you, scroll down on the Merriam Webster page and there is a definition for children:

definition_for_children.png

Is THIS clear enough o.O?

That's fucked up that they're teaching children improper usages of words. That's hopefully going to change soon.

5 minutes ago, Vae said:

Wow, it's almost like language doesn't evolve over time as needed, to accommodate our growing understanding of subjects and how to refer to them, and how people are actually using a word.

They do, but it won't happen overnight.

I mean, look at the etymology of the word, it comes from genus.

Then again, Lewis Carroll (C. Dodgson) made a new word by simply writing it in a book *shrugs*

4 hours ago, MuttButt said:

With a population of 7 billion and growing, dwindling food and water supplies, overfishing, climate change, poverty, etc etc etc. I think the less people starting families and pumping out babies, the better.

Well, to be fair, the issue isn't so much with having 7 Billion people. It's with having a whole bunch of that 7 billion basically doing nothing.

1 hour ago, Lucyfish said:

That's fucked up that they're teaching children improper usages of words. That's hopefully going to change soon.

Calm down, it's not a big deal.

Maybe to you the terminology seems obvious, but you need to remember that this is a new school of thought.

For many, many, many years, the terms "sex" and "gender" were used interchangeably by everyone except maybe psychologists. It's not been till recent years that the words started to be used for in the present day sense of physicality vs. social role.

Because of this, the dictionary definition had technically been correct; because a words usage defines the definition. I would expect the entries to be updated in the coming years, as the "proper" usage becomes more prevalent  

Unless you're around a lot of people with gender issues, or on tumblr all the time, you're probably not going to know the words refer to supposedly different things, or even have a reason to question it. I confess that even I have only become aware of it myself somewhat recently.

So don't be surprised if your local banker doesn't know what's shakin

Just now, Endless/Nameless said:

So don't be surprised if your local banker doesn't know what's shakin

Just making my point that if you're going to make someone write that down, then it should be sex. You don't pick your sex.

2 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

Just making my point that if you're going to make someone write that down, then it should be sex. You don't pick your sex.

You are correct, but chances are a lot of these forms are either old or written by old people and they're not going to know better/give two shits. 

Also, people need to calm their tits, or lack thereof. The wording of a checkbox is not a form of oppression. 

• Like 1

Just now, Endless/Nameless said:

You are correct, but chances are a lot of these forms are either old or written by old people and they're not going to know better/give two shits. 

Also, people need to calm their tits, or lack thereof. The wording of a checkbox is not a form of oppression. 

Yeah, I mean I don't support this genderless person's bitching. However I do think that the separation of "sex" and "gender" needs to be enforced more.

5 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

Yeah, I mean I don't support this genderless person's bitching. However I do think that the separation of "sex" and "gender" needs to be enforced more.

It'll take time and education first. 

And we have a helluva education system y'know. ;) 

Education is the solution, not enforcing anything. Just make awareness a thing, and rational people will make note of the distinction themselves. You want more of an "Oh I didn't know that" reaction rather than an "okay, sheez" reaction. A positive association, not a negative entitlement carrying vibe reaction. 

Because I honestly didn't know the distinction myself growing up, and learned it over the course of traversing the internet like a sailor on the ocean for the first time.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2016 at 10:23 AM, Cingal said:

Well, to be fair, the issue isn't so much with having 7 Billion people. It's with having a whole bunch of that 7 billion basically doing nothing.

We must get people to dig holes and fill them up again, and drive as much as possible.

That will fix climate change and increase the amount of arable land per person ;V

5 minutes ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

We must get people to dig holes and fill them up again, and drive as much as possible.

That will fix climate change and increase the amount of arable land per person ;V

Should probably just genocide, tbh.

1 hour ago, Cingal said:

Should probably just genocide, tbh.

The question is how to remove most of the population without killing everyone else with the collateral damage.

To go back on topic, perhaps we could start by removing those that answer "other" on the "sex" field on forms. It solves population and gender issues in one stroke! :V

On 5/21/2016 at 9:25 PM, Lucyfish said:

Or your gender, actually.

A lot of people think its as cosmetic and you can choose not to

(I know thats a given but I figure Id reiterate that part)

On 5/21/2016 at 1:22 AM, FlynnCoyote said:

Education is the solution, not enforcing anything. Just make awareness a thing, and rational people will make note of the distinction themselves. You want more of an "Oh I didn't know that" reaction rather than an "okay, sheez" reaction. A positive association, not a negative entitlement carrying vibe reaction. 

This is what them Tumblr people don't seem to understand. Yelling at people who refer to you as the wrong pronoun is not going to make them more accepting of you.

• Like 1