The Sweeping Ban on "Slurs"

PastryOfApathy

3 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Come to the tinychat in an hour-ish and catch up over some lamb steaks! I'll send an invite.

We're walking our piss-filled dog then making dinner so I might be late!

53 minutes ago, Lemon said:

Official mod final thoughts of this subject

Okay. We don't want to do extremes. So this is what we're gonna do, that all mods agree on. We ban the usage of these words maliciously. How do you constitute whats used maliciously? We're gonna have to use our judgment. If you don't trust us.. I mean, at this point its tough shit. We're not gonna sit here and ban every word under the sun, nor are we gonna let anarchy fly. If you truly believe you didn't use your word maliciously, PM us. We're amendable to talking. We want to work with you. And banning every word altogether for ever is dumb and whats worse, unenforceable. If the use of a word is unclear on whether or not it is inappropriate, ie. outside of a joke or casually using it to describe a group, then parties involved can discuss it with staff so a compromise can be reached. Going forward its gonna mostly be case-by-case, save for particularly egregious circumstances. 

Them's the breaks. A solution that functions purely on the communication between us and you, without alienating those who take issue with the words, and alienating those who want to use certain words unencumbered. 

The next SOTU is being drafted as we speak. When we post it, we will be asking for input on how we phrase the rule to be added to the official rules, and not if the rule should be a thing. We've talked about it and will not be entertaining a tumblrite nor an anarchist rule solution. Trust us to talk to you first before we infract you, since we really don't want to do that either. 

Ok, dear moddies, please tell me if i understand this correctly:

You are NOT banning particular words.
You ARE banning dickish behavior 
WHICH also would naturally include slurs being used as slurs
Since this is ALREADY the rules [Be civil], you are ADDING an clarification on slurs

If ^this^ is the case, then fucking bravo. I really respect that, and is the approach I've always advocated. :3
Thank you for sparing me from reading 112 posts.
Although I probably will anyway because I'm a fucking masochist.

If this is NOT the case, please discuss this with me so I understand. >:/

• Like 6

Just now, Endless/Nameless said:

Ok, dear moddies, please tell me if i understand this correctly:

You are NOT banning particular words.
You ARE banning dickish behavior 
WHICH also would naturally include slurs being used as slurs
Since this is ALREADY the rules [Be civil], you are ADDING an clarification on slurs

If ^this^ is the case, then fucking bravo. I really respect that, and is the approach I've always advocated. :3
Thank you for sparing me from reading 112 posts.
Although I probably will anyway because I'm a fucking masochist.

If this is NOT the case, please discuss this with me so I understand. >:/

yes this is the thing

On this forum I am in the minority. 

I am all the things that the majority of people here like to make fun of.

I find myself in the incredibly unfair situation of having people on the forum making jokes about me being a fag. 

As everyone knows I'm clearly not homosexual. 

How exactly am I supposed to respond to this without getting myself banned as a result?

Am I just supposed to sit here and not type any kind of response at all? 

I guess I'm not allowed to joke back about it? Or if I do I somehow have to magically come up with a comeback without using the actual words that were directed at me in the first place? 

If I went and reported every post that was offensive to who I am and what I believe there would be too many for anyone to follow up on. 

In my death thread I said that I don't fit in here. Long ago in the SOTU thread I said there would come a time when I would end up having to leave because of censorship. 

In spite of well intentioned people telling me I do fit in here I think that is is clear that the environment here is going to make it impossible for me to exist here. 

There are only about a dozen unique and outspoken people on the forum whose presence prevents this place from being a total echo chamber. I am one of them. 

If we all leave this place will just be a "hug box" where people can endlessly throw slurs back and forth about people who are exactly like me without any chance of anyone ever telling them that their words and thoughts are just another brand of ignorance. 

I long ago said that if the forum ever went PG-13 I'd have to leave. 

So clearly a choice needs to be made. 

This is the point where I advocate for transparency and democracy with the users having a say in the future of the forum.

It will of course be followed by posts saying I'm wrong. 

Think of what this place is:

Little boxes filled with text. That is all this place is.

• Like 2

At this point things seem resolved

I do have some things Id like to point out

We've probably moved on from the original offense but #1 My original offending sentence was a facetious one implying the large influx of transgender related posts, I wasnt upset/angry/malicious, just rather amused

#2 Its been stated before but more warning wouldve been nice before action takes place...

#3 I dont fault the mods for taking action, its their job and if a compromise or resolution for issues or concerns can take place then thats a good thing

9 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

*snip*

I actually had a friend get chased, first off IRC and then off FA itself, for A) being straight and B) calmly and politely turning down a transexual's advances. There were a disgusting number of people acting like he deserved the incredibly hateful treatment he received. It was almost like people had overcorrected so much in the face of homosexual oppression that they became oppressors of heterosexuals.

If that kind of foul, disgusting, hateful bullshit starts becoming cemented here you can bet I won't be far behind you out that door.

15 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

How exactly am I supposed to respond to this without getting myself banned as a result?

I guess I'm not allowed to joke back about it? Or if I do I somehow have to magically come up with a comeback without using the actual words that were directed at me in the first place? 

That was a long post, but ^these^ seemed to be the key sentences?

You of all people aren't going to be an hateful dickface to anybody.

The mods confirmed to me that that's all they're banning.

If that stance is held, how would this hinder you?

15 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

On this forum I am in the minority. 

I am all the things that the majority of people here like to make fun of.

I find myself in the incredibly unfair situation of having people on the forum making jokes about me being a fag. 

As everyone knows I'm clearly not homosexual. 

If I went and reported every post that was offensive to who I am and what I believe there would be too many for anyone to follow up on. 

In my death thread I said that I don't fit in here. Long ago in the SOTU thread I said there would come a time when I would end up having to leave because of censorship. 

In spite of well intentioned people telling me I do fit in here I think that is is clear that the environment here is going to make it impossible for me to exist here. 

There are only about a dozen unique and outspoken people on the forum whose presence prevents this place from being a total echo chamber. I am one of them. 

If we all leave this place will just be a "hug box" where people can endlessly throw slurs back and forth about people who are exactly like me without any chance of anyone ever telling them that their words and thoughts are just another brand of ignorance. 

I long ago said that if the forum ever went PG-13 I'd have to leave. 

So clearly a choice needs to be made. 

This is the point where I advocate for transparency and democracy with the users having a say in the future of the forum.

It will of course be followed by posts saying I'm wrong. 

Think of what this place is:

Little boxes filled with text. That is all this place is.

You've become one of the better posters here, and your recent threads are upstanding examples.

1 minute ago, Endless/Nameless said:

That was a long post, but ^these^ seemed to be the key sentences?

You of all people aren't going to be an hateful dickface to anybody.

The mods confirmed to me that that's all they're banning.

If that stance is held, how would this hinder you?

The irony is I like it when people make jokes about me being a faggot or homo or whatever slur they want.

I have a sense of humour. I know they are joking. They know I'm okay with the joke. 

The list of things I've been called at this point must be a mile long. 

The problem is that I'm a heterosexual, cis gender, right wing, conservative, gun owning, capitalist, Christian, and male. 

So how do I respond to their joke? 

If I say just about anything I'll get called a bigot. 

I don't want to get banned for joking back. 

But I do want to joke back because it is fun! 

The people who made the joke are safe. They are in the group that the slur relates to. 

I clearly am not. 

So the whole thing is actually very unfair towards me.

Especially considering the amount of non-funny non-joking 100% serious hate that is directed towards people who are just like me. 

Why should I be excluded from the fun?

1 minute ago, #00Buck said:

The irony is I like it when people make jokes about me being a faggot or homo or whatever slur they want.

I have a sense of humour. I know they are joking. They know I'm okay with the joke. 

The list of things I've been called at this point must be a mile long. 

The problem is that I'm a heterosexual, cis gender, right wing, conservative, gun owning, capitalist, Christian, and male. 

So how do I respond to their joke? 

If I say just about anything I'll get called a bigot. 

I don't want to get banned for joking back. 

But I do want to joke back because it is fun! 

The people who made the joke are safe. They are in the group that the slur relates to. 

I clearly am not. 

So the whole thing is actually very unfair towards me.

Especially considering the amount of non-funny non-joking 100% serious hate that is directed towards people who are just like me. 

Why should I be excluded from the fun?

I am cismale hetero scum, rather conservative, and Christian

Imma tease the fags anyway

Cuz I respect them and always tease those I love

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

I am cismale hetero scum, rather conservative, and Christian

Imma tease the fags anyway

Cuz I respect them and always tease those I love

We would not have any problems at all if everyone here:

1) At least grudgingly accepted the concept of freedom of speech.

2) Had a sense of humour. 

We don't need rules. If we had those two things we'd be fine. 

I don't want to go around walking on eggshells and not being able to crack fag and tranny jokes along with everyone else who is doing it because people are hitting the report button on me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

We would not have any problems at all if everyone here:

1) At least grudgingly accepted the concept of freedom of speech.

2) Had a sense of humour. 

We don't need rules. If we had those two things we'd be fine. 

I don't want to go around walking on eggshells and not being able to crack fag and tranny jokes along with everyone else who is doing it because people are hitting the report button on me.

I agree.

I'd venture to say most here do.

But when the whiny minority raises hell, people get on edge and you get this thread.

The approach we have now adopted is very fair.

I truly believe we can make this work.

It all depends on if the mods will be properly objectively subjective. 

i.e., case-by-case decisions based on context and not laws or fears.

I'm sure there will be missteps, as there have been in the past. 

But I am personally laying my faith their hands right now.

And if they do a bad job, there's a whole community ready and willing to tear them a new one.

I have teeth and will use them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

What about nerd? Can I still use nerd? Because you're all being stupid nerds.

nonerds.png

See! See!

Look who shows up!

I'd call you something as a joke right now...

But I can't do it now. I might get banned. Even though it's always funny and you know I'm joking. 

Can I come and hide out in your skull fortress on the volcano for a while?

This place is getting to me. 

Because some butt hurt little coward is going to anonymously report me for it. 

• Like 1

Buck, I haven't seen anyone refer to you, but there's been quite a few times someone will report something and we'll outright ignore it because it doesn't require our judgment, like it being chill or something. You're not gonna be banned if you call someone a fag. Its when you do it with vitrol and maliciously- which you haven't done, when we're gonna act. There's a difference between "lol im such a faggot" and "Shut the fuck up you disgusting tranny". There's like.. worlds of difference. 

We dont ever want this forum to become a hugbox. Today was an exercise in trying to find a balance between the hard skin and the soft, and we found one. 

40 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

What about nerd? Can I still use nerd? Because you're all being stupid nerds.

nonerds.png

No you can't actually, and you can't say "St*pid" either. It is very offensive and bigoted term, "st*pid" should absolutely be banned. Anyone caught using it should be permabanned, immediately.

Just now, root said:

Ah so that's why it felt like someone was digging around in my pants today.

y'know, i literally have no idea how to reply to that. 

17 minutes ago, Frig said:

No you can't actually, and you can't say "St*pid" either. It is very offensive and bigoted term, "st*pid" should absolutely be banned. Anyone caught using it should be permabanned, immediately.

Or work at a hair place and never get fired while stealing lunches. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

You lot aren't seriously considering a ban on slurs, are you? That's fucking retarded. 

Here, let Uncle George bash some common sense into ya: <snip>

did u even read the OP. Shit got solved. This is now literally a thing that's been solved. Its a deadthread now. 

2 hours ago, Endless/Nameless said:

He has returned.

Things have gone to shit without him.

All hail the Postmaster.

I'm gay. 

1 hour ago, #00Buck said:

@Zaraphayx why aren't you in the @6tails cooking stream faggot! 

Because I'm posting from work :^)

1 hour ago, Yarra said:

Casper is gender fluid with no end in sight.  

There's no end to my gender fluid, that's for sure ;3

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zaraphayx said:

I'm gay.

Banninated!  Wait...

2 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

There's no end to my gender fluid, that's for sure ;3

Can you spare a quart of gender fluid?  I'm running low.

1 minute ago, 6tails said:

I am so about to post this under a popular public tag on Twitter and see how many humorless people this pisses off.

I RT that joke from gender-fluid folks fairly often on Twitter.

When the Mods came for the slurs,
I remained silent;
I did not use slurs.

When they locked up the unpopular opinions,
I remained silent;
I had no opinions.

When they came for the shitposters
I did not speak out;
I was not a shitposter.

When they came for the memers,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a memer.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Endless/Nameless said:

But when the whiny minority raises hell, people get on edge and you get this thread.

2 hours ago, #00Buck said:

2 hours ago, #00Buck said:

Because some butt hurt little coward is going to anonymously report me for it. 

If only I hadn't run out of likes... You're all beautiful faggo- OOPS. I was almost about to use a slur! Oh I'm such a disgusting excuse of a person for even considering to use one!

2 hours ago, Lemon said:

Buck, I haven't seen anyone refer to you, but there's been quite a few times someone will report something and we'll outright ignore it because it doesn't require our judgment, like it being chill or something. You're not gonna be banned if you call someone a fag. Its when you do it with vitrol and maliciously- which you haven't done, when we're gonna act. There's a difference between "lol im such a faggot" and "Shut the fuck up you disgusting tranny". There's like.. worlds of difference. 

We dont ever want this forum to become a hugbox. Today was an exercise in trying to find a balance between the hard skin and the soft, and we found one. 

Indeed, there's such a clear difference that you mods didn't see it. And ''today was an excercise in trying to etcetera etcetera'' only thanks to Pastry because if she hadn't made this thread you would have excercised your pathetic, ridiculous little rule

4 minutes ago, Amiir said:

Indeed, there's such a clear difference that you mods didn't see it. And ''today was an excercise in trying to etcetera etcetera'' only thanks to Pastry because if she hadn't made this thread you would have excercised your pathetic, ridiculous little rule

I'd be inclined to agree with you if you didn't phrase this in the most edgy, immature way possible. Its like you don't want to be taken seriously by anyone every. 

I'm doing a whole lot of snooping just to find what all this was about. Useless information to me, because I'm going to refer solely to the agreed upon implementation of this new rule. Personally, I trust the mods to discern between when a slur is being used maliciously or in jest. If they fuck up with that duty, then everyone can lose their shit. Just see how this goes instead of trying to instigate something further. 

Tranny shouldn't be permitted, neither should faggot or nigger.

I don't see the issue with this slur ban.

I agree with Lemon's update about banning malicious use of the word, but even the "friendly" use of the word "tranny" (especially by cis people, seriously) or "faggot" always makes me cringe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Amiir said:

Wouldn't it be funny if I was the one who encouraged pastry to post this thread so that we can figure out the rule once and for all

and wouldn't it be crazy that the mods really enjoy threads like these because it gives us a chance to work with yall

and I mean, holy crap, wouldn't it be downright insane that absolutely no one has issue with the new rule implimentation

after the end of it, wouldn't it be really embarrassing if someone continued to antagonize and start a big ol' stink as if this was still a thing to kick up a fuss?

10 minutes ago, Lemon said:

Wouldn't it be funny if I was the one who encouraged pastry to post this thread so that we can figure out the rule once and for all

and wouldn't it be crazy that the mods really enjoy threads like these because it gives us a chance to work with yall

and I mean, holy crap, wouldn't it be downright insane that absolutely no one has issue with the new rule implimentation

after the end of it, wouldn't it be really embarrassing if someone continued to antagonize and start a big ol' stink as if this was still a thing to kick up a fuss?

To be fair, it's not super surprising that people are a little annoyed that the rule was implemented and punished for before we ever got a chance to this have this talk.

Amiir especially wasn't even involved in the thread where you declared it was a banned word.

8 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

@LemonIf this thread has ran its course, like you said it has, why is the issue still being discussed?

Dunno. People keep posting in it. We're usually not big in thread locks. I shoulda listened to ya earlier and locked the damn thing. 

• Guest locked this topic