Trudeau: Yay or Nay?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Trudeau: Yay or Nay?

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Indifferent
    • I'd let him fondle my butthole

25 minutes ago, Johanna Waya said:

Fires suck, but can't magically be fixed because your leader wants them to be.

Your best hope is to contain it by burning fire breaks around it and hoping the wind doesn't carry it past.

(Source: Oklahoma)

There's also the greater issue that fighting and preventing forest fires causes WORSE forest fires.  Forests naturally burn as part of a cycle, the longer a region of forest doesn't burn the more intense it burns once it does burn as a result of overgrowth.  Forest fires managed but due to their massive size and nature, with out right extinguishment usually not even a real option, the can't be sufficiently managed and human settlements are burned despite all best efforts.

This is also why the oil sands projects in the region are built with MASSIVE firestops surrounding them.  Because no body in their right mind could think that you outright stop a large forest fire that threatened the site, so they're built to be impervious to forest fires instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

First off saying that the government wasn't doing anything illegal misses the point completely.  Of course it wasn't illegal seeing as you know the government decides what is and isn't legal.  Pointing out that it wasn't illegal is just circular reasoning.

Also you are dead wrong about scientists saying nothing.  The article I linked to quoted several scientists who were directly speaking out against the silencing and had a lot to come forward with now that the silencing has stopped.

Also I don't know what this senate corruption issue you keep bringing up is and I don't give a shit right now.  It wasn't part of my initial argument in any way shape or form and there is no reason for you to keep bringing it up here.

No it does not. There was no "war on science." A war on science would be if the government cut off all funding and fired all the scientists or prevented the scientists from doing science. That is not what happened. What did happen is the employer enforced the employment contract of the scientists in a perfectly legal fashion while allowing scientists to do science and without cutting their funding. Nothing happened. Nobody has come forward with anything that was being held back. It was just hype designed to get people to vote for someone other than the conservatives. 

Of course you don't care because it destroys your narrative. 

6 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

No it does not. There was no "war on science." A war on science would be if the government cut off all funding and fired all the scientists or prevented the scientists from doing science. That is not what happened. What did happen is the employer enforced the employment contract of the scientists in a perfectly legal fashion while allowing scientists to do science and without cutting their funding. Nothing happened. Nobody has come forward with anything that was being held back. It was just hype designed to get people to vote for someone other than the conservatives. 

I just posted an article in which scientists are discussing how their research was literally being held back.  It even included an example of the government cutting funding to an entire scientific field.  I even specifically mentioned that last bit.  You didn't even need to go into the article to read it. 

You are outright refusing to even engage with the issue here in favor of just sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting that you are right like some sort of petulant child.  If you want to lend any legitimacy to your argument take the time to actually read the article I posted.

9 minutes ago, Onnes said:

@Derin Darkpaw There is a reason Buck is considered a troll.

How else could someone claim that requiring all communications be approved by Party media officers did not represent political control?

I know his reputation as a troll, but in this case it seems to be something he legitimately believes.  Regardless of whether this ignorance is genuine or an act the statements he is making still need to refuted.  We can not sit idly by and allow statements such as the ones being presented in this thread to go unexamined.

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

There's also the greater issue that fighting and preventing forest fires causes WORSE forest fires.  Forests naturally burn as part of a cycle, the longer a region of forest doesn't burn the more intense it burns once it does burn as a result of overgrowth.  Forest fires managed but due to their massive size and nature, with out right extinguishment usually not even a real option, the can't be sufficiently managed and human settlements are burned despite all best efforts.

This is also why the oil sands projects in the region are built with MASSIVE firestops surrounding them.  Because no body in their right mind could think that you outright stop a large forest fire that threatened the site, so they're built to be impervious to forest fires instead.

Yep, the best thing is sometimes to start the forest fires after you burn the breaks, controlled fires are very healthy for the enviroment.

9 hours ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

I just posted an article in which scientists are discussing how their research was literally being held back.  It even included an example of the government cutting funding to an entire scientific field.  I even specifically mentioned that last bit.  You didn't even need to go into the article to read it. 

You are outright refusing to even engage with the issue here in favor of just sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting that you are right like some sort of petulant child.  If you want to lend any legitimacy to your argument take the time to actually read the article I posted.

Oh Derin. You're too much. 

On 2016-05-22 at 11:57 PM, #00Buck said:

I actually know someone who lost their house and truck and everything they owned with the exception of what they walked out the door with in the morning. 

Total devastation. My friends and I are doing a collection to help him get started back up again. 

That's a fucking awesome thing to do for sure. Hopefully everything works out for your bud.

That whole deal seemed like fuck all at first. Yep, bit of a fire, and they were running everybody coming into town from the north through Parson's creek. What a fucking wait that was, but the reason behind it seemed like fuck all, just trying to clear out real-estate so they could run their water bombers through. No big deal.

Couldn't get out of the city later on to get back into camp, so I got hammered with a few buds from town, and even the next day it didn't seem too bad. The news was saying the thing grew like crazy, but there wasn't the huge column of smoke or fuck all, didn't seem like there was a problem. Washed the truck, put gas in it, got ready to head into work, and they said don't bother for the day. Had a nice dinner at a good restaurant instead.

Next day, back at work and a fair bit north of the shit, fuck all until about ~3pm, looked like some kind of fucking erupting volcano. Ash and shit started floating into site, and then operations pulled our permits, we were done for the day.

Back to camp, and there's fucking children, dogs, cats, fucking hamsters, all evacuees all around. Pretty fucking sad eating supper in a shitty work camp with a bunch of people that have no idea what they're going home to and listening to what they're talking about... I was out in the smoke pit and I heard a guy talking to a buddy of his about how he wasn't going to leave home, but I guess he saw his windows starting to melt and said fuck it.

Fuck I feel bad for those that have no homes to come back to. Love this fucking country though, there was some awesome support on the way back home. Fucking awesome.

Alberta strong!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wrecker said:

That's a fucking awesome thing to do for sure. Hopefully everything works out for your bud.

Alberta strong!

My friend is actually in emergency services so even though he lost his home he is out every day helping other people who lost theirs too. He says that the Red Cross is nowhere to be seen in the disaster area but the Salvation Army is out helping people. He says if anyone wants to send a donation those are the people who are in the thick of it really getting in there and helping out. He also says they are the charity where the lowest amount possible goes to the administration of the charity. So almost all of your contribution makes it to people who need it. My heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by the fires. I really hope people aren't screwed over on their insurance as happens after all kinds of disasters. 

@#00Buck

The Red Cross is notorious here for doing jack shit with disasters, they are a complete waste of space better served by real organizations.

Appearently they had a warehouse full of supplies gathered for the moore tornado..... that they let get eaten by rats after not using them.