Rave: Look at my new chunk

Gamedog

21 hours ago, root said:

I want to see the reactions to these images from the buttfaces that want rotties banned.

They're not banned here (and I live in an area where BSL is in place), but I've been told MULTIPLE TIMES by multiple people, that "those dogs" tend to be mean to people they don't know, etc.
I can't remember exactly what was said, but something along the lines of "yeah, those dogs.. you know, they can be a bit.... if they don't really know the person". I encourage people to come visit Floyd, to come introduce themselves to him, to give him treats. I tell them "yes, I'm trying to get him introduced to as many people as possible" and that seems to calm them down.
The mailman asked me today what he was (for some reason most people can't tell what breed he is?) and was surprised when I said Rottweiler. Said that he carries treats around with him (he gave one to Floyd), and I told him that I want to bring Floyd out to meet him every day if it's possible. He warned the same thing, "yeah, if he's used to me then he'll be fine.. but if I go on vacation then.. yeah"

It's just bizarre how much of a stigma there is associated with this breed, even my roommate had some apprehensions about living with a Rottweiler. Rottweilers were NOT used for fighting, never have been. They were created for the purpose of pulling carts around, guarding meat/butchers, and herding cattle. The name Rottweiler comes from the town Rottweil, Germany, where they were most often found. Rottweiler Metzgerhund is another word they go by, which means Rottweil Butcher's Dog.
Rottweilers are incredibly protective and loyal. They can befriend people you introduce them to, but anything they consider worthy of protecting, they will. This includes family, friends, pets, house, objects, etc. That's why they make such great guard dogs, they do not need to be trained to retain this protective behaviour. This is also why they can be so easily mis-used or mis-treated.

• Like 2

On 2016-05-23 at 0:13 PM, Gamedog said:

He can do what he wants

i have a dog named ford just in case he needs pulled out of the mud or has a problem getting over a hill :P

kidding aside, i used to have a rotty, and she was the nicest dog ever. not a bad bone anywhere. the havanese i have now is 100x more of an asshole than she was.

• Like 1

On June 20, 2016 at 4:27 PM, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I think I'm dying of cute

Also chihuahuas are like, 500x more aggressive and mean (I've owned 4, and they were all quite evil). Way meaner than our big oaf of a rottie

THEY SCARED HER

Most people avoid socializing their small dogs while they're young because it's easier to pick their dog up and avoid a confrontation between it and a larger dog, than it is to properly introduce the dog to dogs and people while it's still young (3-12 weeks)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2016 at 9:58 PM, Gamedog said:

They're not banned here (and I live in an area where BSL is in place), but I've been told MULTIPLE TIMES by multiple people, that "those dogs" tend to be mean to people they don't know, etc.
I can't remember exactly what was said, but something along the lines of "yeah, those dogs.. you know, they can be a bit.... if they don't really know the person". I encourage people to come visit Floyd, to come introduce themselves to him, to give him treats. I tell them "yes, I'm trying to get him introduced to as many people as possible" and that seems to calm them down.

Reminds me of a friend's Rottweiler. Years ago, me and another friend had to pick something up from this guy's house. It was after dark, and no lights were on. Out of the blue, as we were approaching the side door, this giant dog jumped up on me. Caught me completely off guard. No warning barks or anything, but friendly as can be. When we turned on the light, he was wagging his tail, wanting to be petted, running around, and obviously happy to see us. I've been snapped at and nipped by little dogs that actually know me better. The Rottweiler, however, seemed to know its own strength. He didn't even growl. Just a cool dog all around.

Based on this limited experience, my impression is that Rotts may be stronger but can also be less aggressive than other dogs. Like they know their own strength and exercise restraint, whereas a Chihuahua might be more likely to attack and bite (not saying Chihuahuas can't be awesome... but some are crazy).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frig said:

*in the voice of David Patten from "American Psycho"* Very nice, but that's nothing...

1045163_4983917404410_23842188_n.jpg

floyd will destroy this dog, his power is too much.....

idcard.jpg

10 hours ago, Xaende said:

Reminds me of a friend's Rottweiler. Years ago, me and another friend had to pick something up from this guy's house. It was after dark, and no lights were on. Out of the blue, as we were approaching the side door, this giant dog jumped up on me. Caught me completely off guard. No warning barks or anything, but friendly as can be. When we turned on the light, he was wagging his tail, wanting to be petted, running around, and obviously happy to see us. I've been snapped at and nipped by little dogs that actually know me better. The Rottweiler, however, seemed to know its own strength. He didn't even growl. Just a cool dog all around.

Based on this limited experience, my impression is that Rotts may be stronger but can also be less aggressive than other dogs. Like they know their own strength and exercise restraint, whereas a Chihuahua might be more likely to attack and bite (not saying Chihuahuas can't be awesome... but some are crazy).

An untrained, unsocialized Rottweiler can be a downright danger to society, that's why firm and consistent force-free training is so crucial in their upbringing. They're naturally a breed that wants to protect and be wary of strangers. They're more frequently used as guard dogs than as police dogs nowadays for these reasons.

http://policelink.monster.com/topics/56682-why-arent-more-rottweilers-used-in-police-work/posts

https://www.quora.com/Why-arent-rottweilers-used-as-police-dogs

2 minutes ago, LowPitchFart said:

Either you're a good photographer or that dog is cute 24/7.

he is a very cute sweetie

sometimes i take nice iphone pics, other times theyre bad (bottom pic there)
all depends on lighting and if the dog is moving

• 2 weeks later...