So how many y'all nerds still play Command and Conquer?

LadyRadarEars

Yo.

I still play it, yeah, but the only one I have a huge amount of familiarity with is RA1. I love that old classic. The music was amazing and multiplayer servers for it are still up to this day. I own most of the older C&C games but only really ever played that one. I should really jump on and give RA2 a fair chance. Not enough alternate universe WWII games out there. 

I have nothing to say about it except that I have never liked any prequel other than Red Alert.

There is no better way that game could have ended than with Kucan saying "Comrade chairman, I am the future." It could have been a little less awkwardly done, but they had the right idea.

15 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

I have nothing to say about it except that I have never liked any prequel other than Red Alert.

There is no better way that game could have ended than with Kucan saying "Comrade chairman, I am the future." It could have been a little less awkwardly done, but they had the right idea.

Yeah that was a pretty cash ending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6tails said:

It was actually fairly fun once you got used to a couple of things.

It was fun as hell, and the multiplayer was pretty cool too. There's like, a freeware multiplayer version of it kicking about now, with updated graphics, its not too bad either.

Although admittedly I spent a lot of time being sniped by the railgun characters before deciding I was much better suited to repairing base buildings in multiplayer :V

• Like 2

Just now, 6tails said:

That would be Renegade X. I've heard of it but not tried it. Perhaps I should.

Its pretty good. I need to download it again on my new desktop though. It basically plays like a better graphics version of the renegade multiplayer, though they don't have all the maps just yet (and I think they're also working on some new ones.) My only complaint is I have to redownload the whole thing every time there's an update :V

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 6tails said:

All foxes are lazy. It's a hallmark of the entire vulpine species!

Anyways, downloaded. It's a little late to do this tonight, as it is midnight and I should sleep.

So tomorrow, around noon, when I am back home, I shall give this a run and see just how badly I get owned.

When in doubt, choose engineer and follow someone in a tank with the repair gun :V

Also goodnight!

Edited by LadyRadarEars
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Deskai said:

I only play Generals, and RA3 with the Generals mod

I'm forever salty that we are not getting Generals 2...

Generals was fun, reminded me of the campy silliness of the first two RA games. You should totally try out tibsun though, its freeware now :V

So is RA1, now that I think about it. Whooo.

4 hours ago, Pignog said:

funny that this thread popped up as a few of us have been playing OpenRA on discord. Free and updated versions of C&C, RA1, and Dune 2000. Updated in the sense they've made the games more playable, with some unit and price balancing, a couple new units added, ability to queue up troops and buildings, etc.

http://www.openra.net/

Oh sweet. I used to have dune 2000 on disk somewhere along with the rest of my rts games. John Rhys Davies <3

• 2 months later...

I'm basically in love with RA3, and it actually made me consider my viewpoint that "videogames have stock archetypes, not characters".

I regularly play Kane's Wrath, can't play any Scrin faction to save my life though.

Though it may be disappointing to the OP, Tiberian Sun is the only one I didn't like*. Didn't the allegedly futuristic units in '98, can't put my finger on what disappoints me when I played it last year, it's just... something's missing.

* -  I didn't consider RA2 without Yuri's Revenge much better.

On 23/05/2016 at 6:03 PM, Deskai said:

I only play Generals, and RA3 with the Generals mod

I'm forever salty that we are not getting Generals 2...

Is Generals comparably balanced as RA3? Specifically, are the tanks less mandatory than the rest of the series?

On 2016-08-02 at 2:21 PM, Tyranno said:

Is Generals comparably balanced as RA3? Specifically, are the tanks less mandatory than the rest of the series?

ive never played the ones after Generals but tanks were def not mandatory and there were hard counters for everything. Tank rushes still worked but there's enough stuff (airpower, artillery, rocket infantry, bunkers, mines, EMP, etc.) to shut them down too.

The expansion included some horseshit abilities (the US airforce general was pr annoying) but it was overall pretty balanced. The Generals Shockwave mod adds a ton of cool stuff and is still regularly updated afaik.

7 minutes ago, Pignog said:

ive never played the ones after Generals but tanks were def not mandatory and there were hard counters for everything. Tank rushes still worked but there's enough stuff (airpower, artillery, rocket infantry, bunkers, mines, EMP, etc.) to shut them down too.

The expansion included some horseshit abilities (the US airforce general was pr annoying) but it was overall pretty balanced. The Generals Shockwave mod adds a ton of cool stuff and is still regularly updated afaik.

I like the rise of the reds mod, myself ^~^

14 hours ago, Lopaw said:

I have yet to try installing any C&C games on my PC but I used to play RA2 and tiberium sun a lot when I was 15 or so. But I would play most of the games again if I can manage to find time to play them.

Well Tibsun is free now, although there are also some freeware multiplayer 'portable' versions that work better with modern computers. I've been playing generals a lot lately, mostly because the GLA is so campy.

18 hours ago, Pignog said:

Thanks. That sounds good, I'll probably look up the steam release sometime (currently checking out Supreme Commander so its to be a while).

4 hours ago, Tyranno said:

Thanks. That sounds good, I'll probably look up the steam release sometime (currently checking out Supreme Commander so its to be a while).

Supreme Commander is quite decent, it may have issues with lag on modern PCs due to being made just before multithreading came around . So how well it will run will depend on your CPU's per core performance.