An Overwatch Thread

Onnes

Reinhardt, Widowmaker, and Mei 1v1s are super fun. Especially Mei because I just noticed how frighteningly stealthy she is. She's got a quieter step than fucking Genji and Hanzo. I can barely hear her on metal. Kind of adds to her cuteness really.

Widowmaker just reminds me of rail gun duels. just way slower. And the Reinhardt baits are the best.

2 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

People do nothing but bitch when I pick Sombra. She needs some tweaks but right now she's pretty good on certain maps.

It was the same thing with Ana the first couple weeks of release. Now she's a staple. With the amount of utility Sombra has, I can't think of many situations where she wouldn't be a valuable pick.

11 hours ago, Eggdodger said:

It was the same thing with Ana the first couple weeks of release. Now she's a staple. With the amount of utility Sombra has, I can't think of many situations where she wouldn't be a valuable pick.

Ana is fucking amazing.

My thing with Sombra is that she is very clearly a flanking character. I hope they buff her hack in some way, mostly to get her to be able to hack things a little easier. It's meant to be able to counter people like Torbjorn, but it doesn't work on his turret at all because as soon as you try to hack it, it turns and shoots you and interrupts it.

That's my only gripe with her.

16 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

My thing with Sombra is that she is very clearly a flanking character. I hope they buff her hack in some way, mostly to get her to be able to hack things a little easier. It's meant to be able to counter people like Torbjorn, but it doesn't work on his turret at all because as soon as you try to hack it, it turns and shoots you and interrupts it.

The issue with making her hack able to affect things that are actively shooting her is that there's no real counter-play to that aside from outright killing her. The fact her hack is cancelled when you hit her makes it possible for any character with a weapon to do something about it if they don't want that to happen, and rewards Sombra to be discreet with her flanking if she plans to hack someone. Whereas other flankers can be as overt as they want because they are entirely about damage, Sombra's kit is grounded in subterfuge, and so should reward a sneakier playstyle.

On the bright side, if the turret is already shooting someone, you can hack it-- waiting until your team pushes in before you flank is generally a good idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eggdodger said:

The issue with making her hack able to affect things that are actively shooting her is that there's no real counter-play to that aside from outright killing her. The fact her hack is cancelled when you hit her makes it possible for any character with a weapon to do something about it if they don't want that to happen, and rewards Sombra to be discreet with her flanking if she plans to hack someone. Whereas other flankers can be as overt as they want because they are entirely about damage, Sombra's kit is grounded in subterfuge, and so should reward a sneakier playstyle.

On the bright side, if the turret is already shooting someone, you can hack it-- waiting until your team pushes in before you flank is generally a good idea.

That's the problem. She can't flank a turret, it shoots things automatically. Not to mention she is the ONLY character in the game where shooting her will interrupt her ability, and her ability is good but it isn't THAT good.

Pure 100% sneaking doesn't work in arena shooters. Never has, never will. Spy in TF2 is fun, but he's garbage and always has been.

I don't entirely agree, sombra's ult is one of the most engaging ults in the game IMO. For one you know who has ults on the enemy team, and can deny them of using them in an important team fights.

That coupled with the ability of denying healthpacks, reinhardts, zarya's or dva's I daresay she has quite the potential in a lot of situations. Even moreso than rein at this moment, rein became situational with this new patch.

Having a main you can play really well does help, everyone has got that guy they like the most. Even them pro players, several top tier tanks even have roadhog as his main, mainly on KotH maps.

Just know when you need to swap hero and you're good to go.

On 24/11/2016 at 11:56 AM, Nomris said:

Having a main you can play really well does help, everyone has got that guy they like the most. Even them pro players, several top tier tanks even have roadhog as his main, mainly on KotH maps.

Just know when you need to swap hero and you're good to go.

Main is Mercy. I don't usually have to swap out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

Main is Mercy. I don't usually have to swap out.

That's the thing about this game: If you tell people you're a support main, you will get to play support, you will have to play support, and "if we lose it's your damn fault". (Res? Do you have res, Mercy? Can you res me, Mercy? Ugh that was a shitty res, you suck.) If you tell people you're a DPS main, you will get asked if you can tank (bonus points if you say, "Well, I can play Roadhog?"). If you tell people you're a flex player, what they hear is, "Pick DPS and I will support or tank".

24 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

That's the thing about this game: If you tell people you're a support main, you will get to play support, you will have to play support, and "if we lose it's your damn fault". (Res? Do you have res, Mercy? Can you res me, Mercy? Ugh that was a shitty res, you suck.) If you tell people you're a DPS main, you will get asked if you can tank (bonus points if you say, "Well, I can play Roadhog?"). If you tell people you're a flex player, what they hear is, "Pick DPS and I will support or tank".

I hate the cunts who think I will res a single tracer in a noncrucial moment and then whine about how the sup sucked ass.

Supports never get love, they just get hated by the DPS guys because they themselves can't stay alive for shit.

• Like 2

I've had an account on the computer for a month or so. Account name (I think) is CrazyLee#11330. US server. I just added everyone on the US servers, so you probably got a request.

Trying out that Mei snowball fight for the first time. I swear to god if I hear Mei go "pat pat pat" one more time, I'm gonna get cancer. But I bet pachi loves that level, all that mei thic

On 12/20/2016 at 7:05 PM, Shiro said:

It'd be nice to play with others who are also into this game. I'm a Genji main here.

You know, I'd love to, but unfortunately, as a Mercy main, we might be diametrically opposed. :v

(My Battletag is Eggdodger#1620, so feel free to add me)

1 hour ago, Eggdodger said:

You know, I'd love to, but unfortunately, as a Mercy main, we might be diametrically opposed. :v

(My Battletag is Eggdodger#1620, so feel free to add me)

I play Reinhardt as well, so that should work out nicely.

• 1 month later...

So OW updated with a 1.5gb update... I can see why.

Anyone else play the new Year of the Rooster Capture the Flag game? It's in the Arcade area. Same place Mei's winter wonderland game was at.

I am pretty happy to see a CTF mode in the game, since TF2 had it as well. However, no one can play it worth a fucking shit because people are stupid.

First round I played of it, everyone ran at the enemy's flag, and our own flag was left wide open. I think this is why the other team won so fast. Defense, do you do it?

So if I looked at the roster and didn't see any defensive-type characters I'd play Torb, Symmetra, or Bastian. And then, of COURSE, nothing happened around our flag. I'd be bored as shit as no one would attack (or one person would show up and I'd murder them), and then the game went to a draw.

In fact, 90% of the games I played went to a draw. The one I remember winning was where I decided to play sombra because we already had a torb and a symmetra, and I wanted to see if I could use sombra's cloak to effect. I captured the flag, ran a few steps, died, got rezzed by mercy, grabbed the flag again, ran away cloaked. You CAN carry the flag while cloaked, but a friend says you can still see the flag (a flag moving by itself hurr) so no one came after me so who knows.

Anyway, the game is a bit broken, but I blame it more on shitty players.

Which brings me to my second complaint. I seem to have hit a plateau on how well I play. I get into way too many attack rounds where the team I'm at can't seem to take a control point, usually the first one. We'll be assaulting the control point only to get slaughtered by a good defense. Usually we'll fail to even take the first one. I blame crappy players that don't work as a team, but I have to admit I may be at fault if I am unclear on how to use my own characters I'm playing to better assist my team.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2017 at 2:54 AM, Lucyfish said:

A decent Torb should destroy D.Va, her guns do little to no damage on his armor and his shotgun blasts totally maul D.Va's armor. o-o

and a good D.Va can eat away at his health rather fast if up close and personal and defense matrix...and unlimited ammo

also D.Va have about 3 meters on him before fall off kicks in

BUT

a good torb as I have fought many is often: "keep that bitch away from me" as his rivet gun easily out range me anyway...also Molten core will fucking make me do a 180 as I dont have time to deal with a short angry man and I cant even ult on his turret while hes molten as it will survive my ult.

if you really think about it...a set up torb could defeat a D.Va by basically cordinating with his own sentry by literally seperating away from it as D.va would have to either pick to go after you or the sentry unless she repositions herself that she blocks damage from both sources, once he goes molten D.Va would lose as the damage output is too high for her to deal with

The CTF format is gone. I would like to see them make it a new mode, perhaps after they fix the problems with it. Later on, I found people were doing somewhat better with the mode once people had gotten used to it. My biggest problem was that two of the maps, the Chinese market and the Garden, were easy to chuck an exploding DVa into the enemy's flag area, but I couldn't get my team to congregate enough around me to take advantage of the chaos caused by the mech to go grab the flag. I got Play of the Game twice throwing the mech over the wall in the Garden. One of those times I got fed up, ran in with my new mech, fended off the rest of the enemies until I had the flag, then ran off with it. I think my mech was destroyed but I kept running with naked dva to score a point. Sometimes you have to have balls in that game.

I just discovered the arcade mode All Brawls. I've played the random character one many times. This one, however, sometimes has me stuck with characters I suck at. Like Super Shimada Bros, I suck at both genji and Hanzo. One Shot, One Kill, which is all snipers... I don't play snipers because I'm not good at them either, although I started getting better with Widow thanks to that mode. Highly Defensive is tricky as none of my mains are Defense... I'd go with Bastian, Junkrat, or Torb, but if it's an assault only one of them, Rat, is good at attacking points. Support only is a joke... In any case, it's an interesting mode and I will try it some more.

Also, I just hit 25 on my computer account. Not sure if I'll join competitive. I play for fun and are not a competitive person, plus most people are probably better than I am.

Hmm, news article on Google asking if it's time for a new map. Didn't Oasis come out a month ago?

When you play another FPS game where shift is bound to "running", and you accidentally hit it over and over again in OW thinking it will make you run faster.

8 hours ago, Deskai said:

and a good D.Va can eat away at his health rather fast if up close and personal and defense matrix...and unlimited ammo

also D.Va have about 3 meters on him before fall off kicks in

BUT

a good torb as I have fought many is often: "keep that bitch away from me" as his rivet gun easily out range me anyway...also Molten core will fucking make me do a 180 as I dont have time to deal with a short angry man and I cant even ult on his turret while hes molten as it will survive my ult.

if you really think about it...a set up torb could defeat a D.Va by basically cordinating with his own sentry by literally seperating away from it as D.va would have to either pick to go after you or the sentry unless she repositions herself that she blocks damage from both sources, once he goes molten D.Va would lose as the damage output is too high for her to deal with

I'm sorry but... None of that is really applicable. Torb has much MUCH higher DPS than D.Va, far away AND up close. D.Va can't do damage when using her defense matrix, so that's not going to help her at all in a one on one fight with Torb. Not to mention every like 8-10 seconds Torb can drop a level 1 turret, creating another thing that D.Va needs to focus on.

I'm sorry, but a good Torb is going to outfight a D.Va in one on one every time. I have never, not once, been taken down by a D.Va as Torb in a situation that didn't involve me being flanked by an entire team anyway. D.Va can take Bastion down pretty well up close, but Torb is going to absolutely maul her. It only take two well-placed headshots from his shotgun to completely destroy her mech. Two shots compared to at least 15 seconds of constant D.Va fire.

Sorry bro, D.Va don't really got what it takes for old Torby. Whatever Torbs you have been killing probably don't know the character very well.

1 hour ago, Lucyfish said:

I'm sorry but... None of that is really applicable. Torb has much MUCH higher DPS than D.Va, far away AND up close. D.Va can't do damage when using her defense matrix, so that's not going to help her at all in a one on one fight with Torb. Not to mention every like 8-10 seconds Torb can drop a level 1 turret, creating another thing that D.Va needs to focus on.

I'm sorry, but a good Torb is going to outfight a D.Va in one on one every time. I have never, not once, been taken down by a D.Va as Torb in a situation that didn't involve me being flanked by an entire team anyway. D.Va can take Bastion down pretty well up close, but Torb is going to absolutely maul her. It only take two well-placed headshots from his shotgun to completely destroy her mech. Two shots compared to at least 15 seconds of constant D.Va fire.

Sorry bro, D.Va don't really got what it takes for old Torby. Whatever Torbs you have been killing probably don't know the character very well.

and I dont know what kind of D.Vas you been playing against cause no D.Va player is gonna go down easy against a torb, torb suffers more from a D.va as she can easily chew thru health. D.va And Torb in reality is an even fight as it will always comes down to D.va utilizing her boosters and Defense Matrix to torbs using their scrap and sentry. So No, Torb doesnt "destroy" a D.va, he can beat her, and just as much as a D.va can beat him but wont destroy him. Torbs have more problems against D.va and Reins of the tanks cause those two not only have ways to negate damage but the highest natural armor count while torb gets +300 armor once molten but 75 armor (funny enough its 300 armor if he has 200 scrap) from armor packs

I've lost to torbs but I have also BEATEN torbs using D.va as I use to be a torb heavy player (fave tactic is still setting the sentry over the health pack, as the health pack will heal the sentry, so get a sombra to hack it and you are good)but usually when I lose to a torb, is when he goes molten as he gets 300 armor, and attacks 50% faster

So yea I have to go: you are probably not playing against good D.vas, just like how you are saying "I been fighting bad Torbs"

According to the overwatch wiki:

Other than maybe snipers, there is no worse nightmare for a Torbjorn than a D.Va. His turret's specialty is heckling from a great distance, making easy target out of light health, short range heroes like Genji and Reaper. But all you have do is put up shields, fly right up to a turret as it hopelessly fires at you (taking away fire from teammates) and shoot it down. While turrets have no heads to shoot, at point blank you make extremely quick work of a turret at very little damage to yourself. And if the Torbjorn shows up to avenge his turret, you can quickly reunite him with his destroyed turret. Even with his alternate fire, Torbjorn can't do much against a D.Va with good aim at close range. Just gun the dwarf down, then continue going about your business.

So there's that.

Anyone here have any stories of POTGs or times they saved their teams asses?
I don't know of any way to save highlights and play-of-the-games to video, except maybe with screen capture software, so I can't show videos.

On 2/26/2017 at 1:09 AM, Deskai said:

and I dont know what kind of D.Vas you been playing against cause no D.Va player is gonna go down easy against a torb, torb suffers more from a D.va as she can easily chew thru health. D.va And Torb in reality is an even fight as it will always comes down to D.va utilizing her boosters and Defense Matrix to torbs using their scrap and sentry. So No, Torb doesnt "destroy" a D.va, he can beat her, and just as much as a D.va can beat him but wont destroy him. Torbs have more problems against D.va and Reins of the tanks cause those two not only have ways to negate damage but the highest natural armor count while torb gets +300 armor once molten but 75 armor (funny enough its 300 armor if he has 200 scrap) from armor packs

I've lost to torbs but I have also BEATEN torbs using D.va as I use to be a torb heavy player (fave tactic is still setting the sentry over the health pack, as the health pack will heal the sentry, so get a sombra to hack it and you are good)but usually when I lose to a torb, is when he goes molten as he gets 300 armor, and attacks 50% faster

So yea I have to go: you are probably not playing against good D.vas, just like how you are saying "I been fighting bad Torbs"

D.Va can chew through health yes, but she does absolute fuck all for damage against armor. A Torbjorn with a single armor drop has basically a nearly doubled health bar against a solo D.Va. 75 armor is a crapton for D.Va to get through, her guns do seriously little to no damage to them unless she is landing successive and consistent headshots. On paper, Torb should come out on top.

And the whole dick-waving "my main is better than your main" contest continues. I mean, I main dva and sometimes main torb if good defense is needed so what do I know?

Anyway, my own POTGs and Highlights that I remember:

First one was during the winter mod. I'm playing the Mei's challenge. My ult is ready, I was only one of two left on my team alive. I come around a corner into the central area of ecopoint. I see two meis in front of me, and one has their ult activated. I back the hell up behind the corner and activate my ult. I leroy jenkins the fuck around the corner and take out both meis in an instant. Running around I spot another mei and take her out. By this time the rest of my team is going insane on voice chat. I then run around and finally take out the last mei right as my ult deactivated.

It was the second or third round, we had lost the first rounds but ended up winning the game and I got POTG.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't normally play Hanzo, I hate how accurate you have to be with him but I try to practice with all characters. So, we're in Nepal, second round. Both teams have 99% on the control point, and the other team has the point. It goes into overtime.

I had just died and rezzed as Hanzo. I had a charged ult that I had been waiting for a good chance to use. I was running back to the point from spawn, thinking we were going to lose but deciding to randomly launch my ult at the enemy in hopes it would help. I drop off the bridge next to the point, and see three of their players and two of mine on the point. Perfect. I run back, hit the ult button, and unleash the dragon right into the checkpoint. All of their players died. We hold the point and win the round, and eventually win the game (lost the first round but won the last two). Didn't get potg though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was playing the random character arcade mode in King's Row. I respawned as Torb right as the point was captured and the payload was starting to move. I jump on it, immediately slap a turret down on top. For the entire rest of the game, a Rein sits in front of me with his shield defending my turret, and I spend most of the time repairing the turret while taking a few shots at enemies around me in between.

By the end of the round I had an ult that I needed to burn off. We're coming around the last corner to the end, and it had been a bit quiet. That's because the other team was waiting for us at the end. My team runs off the payload at the the other team. Rein throws up his shield. And I activate the molten fury and start mowing down the enemy. I remember one person, symmetra I think, tried to run around to the side and i killed her with my gun. My turret ended up killing all of the enemies players and doing most of the damage to them. Got POTG.

19 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

And the whole dick-waving "my main is better than your main" contest continues. I mean, I main dva and sometimes main torb if good defense is needed so what do I know?

There is no "better," it's a game where all the characters counter each other lol. Torb has counters, D.Va just isn't a good one.

12 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

I kind of burnt out on Overwatch. 

#BringBackLucioball

I haven't touched it in a good while. I should hop on and see what's new. Just been playing Ghost in the Shell lately. Kind of needed something that was straightforward shooting.

On 2/27/2017 at 9:33 PM, Lucyfish said:

There is no "better," it's a game where all the characters counter each other lol. Torb has counters, D.Va just isn't a good one.

doesnt change that D.va can beat a torb

--------------

in other news, "they should of at least made a map specifically for CTF instead of converting em cause some of these flag placements are odd as they are either outside spawn, or a bit inside the combat area. Illios an odd one cause the flag for one of the map is within a batch of buildings for both teams which in turn protect the enemy from attacks right off.

9 hours ago, Deskai said:

doesnt change that D.va can beat a torb

--------------

in other news, "they should of at least made a map specifically for CTF instead of converting em cause some of these flag placements are odd as they are either outside spawn, or a bit inside the combat area. Illios an odd one cause the flag for one of the map is within a batch of buildings for both teams which in turn protect the enemy from attacks right off.

I mean any character can beat any character, in the end it is an FPS and skill takes the forefront.

1 hour ago, Tsuujou said:

Orisa is so cute and I can't take it. I hope I see fanart where she and Bastion become friendos and go on goofy robot adventures.

I know, right? I liked tanking before, but now that I can express my inner girl robot tank I will enjoy it much more. D. Va's mech doesn't count.