An Overwatch Thread

Onnes

1 hour ago, PastryOfApathy said:

So what your saying is that you have this giant supertank that absorbs damage like nothing else and does...nothing. I'd rather have Winston or something since he may not absorb as much damage (idk if that's true but for argument's sake) as D.VA, he can single-handedly fuck up an entire team in ways D.VA can only dream of.

Yes. It does literally nothing, but stop incoming damage for Dva. She is what I consider a "Selfish Tank". She does nothing that can push the team or actually benefit them. I was actually confused thinking that it legit did something so I'd get scared and hide. But then I realized "oh wait it's damn near useless and lasts for a nanosecond".

Just now, Falaffel said:

Hah, what seems to be your problem? 

I came from another Blizzard's game, Heroes of the Storm, and I'm used to this MOBA general principle that "dying = feeding". In HotS, my death counter is usually 0-1. It takes a dedicated gank squad to kill someone there, so unless you're not paying attention to the minimap, you're safe. Overwatch on the other hand ... should be named Overdie. You die, and die, and die again. After two deaths I'm starting to have doubts about my worth as a player. At 4 deaths I consider quitting. At 6 deaths I leave and look for another game, hoping that I'll manage to do better there.

1 minute ago, Therapy Sergal said:

I came from another Blizzard's game, Heroes of the Storm, and I'm used to this MOBA general principle that "dying = feeding". In HotS, my death counter is usually 0-1. It takes a dedicated gank squad to kill someone there, so unless you're not paying attention to the minimap, you're safe. Overwatch on the other hand ... should be named Overdie. You die, and die, and die again. After two deaths I'm starting to have doubts about my worth as a player. At 4 deaths I consider quitting. At 6 deaths I leave and look for another game, hoping that I'll manage to do better there.

Aye, it's not a MOBA, mate. It's an FPS. Dying repeatedly is part of the experience, especially with TTKs being so low. All dying means is a short respawn timer. There's no EXP you're feeding into. 

It's a different, it's just something you'll learn to deal with. Hopefully :v

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Aye, it's not a MOBA, mate. It's an FPS. Dying repeatedly is part of the experience, especially with TTKs being so low. All dying means is a short respawn timer. There's no EXP you're feeding into. 

It's a different, it's just something you'll learn to deal with. Hopefully :v

It costs me a lot of brain cells and broken furinture so far. Especially with the way this game rubs it in your face. Oh, you just died ? Here, look how your killer just did it. Want a slowmo ? Maybe a teabag ? Don't you enjoy being totally WTFPWNED ? Don't worry, we even keep the statistic of all your deaths, so you can always check how much do you suck.

Just now, Therapy Sergal said:

It costs me a lot of brain cells and broken furinture so far. Especially with the way this game rubs it in your face. Oh, you just died ? Here, look how your killed just did it. Want a slowmo ? Maybe a teabag ? Don't you enjoy being totally WTFPWNED ? Don't worry, we even keep the statistic of all your deaths, so you can always check how much do you suck.

Eheh... I find the replays helpful to figure out what killed you. Helps you learn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Falaffel said:

Eheh... I find the replays helpful to figure out what killed you. Helps you learn.

It would, if there were no unavoidable deaths. Sadly, there're so many bullshit mechanics, that the only way to not die, is staying in spawn. On top of my list is Widowmaker and random "press Q to kill everyone" ultimates.

1 hour ago, Falaffel said:

Speaking of "tanks", I can't stand roadhog. He can just shut down half the roster, it's ridiculous. He also gets a 300hp self heal which seems excessive. 

Roadhog is a really limited hero. He has no mobility, his hitbox is enormous, and his shotgun is only effective at point-blank range. His specialty is discouraging assassins and overly aggressive attackers. Reinhardt, for example, is a really hard counter to Roadhog because his shield blocks the hook and prevents Roadhog from doing anything at all to everyone behind it.

5 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Therapy, if you're struggling we can give you some tips. Truthfully the game isn't hard or demanding of much skill. You're probably just making some errors in your playstyle is all. Who do you play and how do you play them?

I can't say I'm "struggling", it's just my perfectionist's attitude, which demands me to have good stats. I'm already dying far less than the rest of the team, but each time makes me cringe in anger.

In most games I prefer support roles. So I play a lot of Mercy, Symmetra, Zeniatta and Lucio. When this roles are taken, I usually zoom around as DVa, just because she's relatively hard to kill.

I absolutelly can't stand "attack" roles and can't play them at all.

58 minutes ago, Therapy Sergal said:

She can't be one-shot, unless she falls in the pit, has great mobility, a shield, and a ton of HP. Just what I need.

She also does fuck all for the team other than shoot peas at people.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

She also does fuck all for the team other that shoot peas at people.

Those peas are enough to give widowmaker some second thoughts when you get in her face.

7 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Have you tried WInston or Reinhardt at all?

Yes, they don't "eject" when their health reaches zero. They just die.

5 minutes ago, Therapy Sergal said:

She can't be one-shot, unless she falls in the pit, has great mobility, a shield, and a ton of HP. Just what I need.

She has the largest headshot hitbox in the game. She might not be one shot, but she dies extremely easy. Reaper demolishes her among many others. I outlined her faults to much agreement from others. I'm not saying switch characters, but I can't fault you for dying when you play her. She's REALLY not good. 

Now if you play supports, Lucio is really a good option to keep playing until you can be confident you won't die too much. Stay mobile and stay BEHIND everyone. And keep shooting. One thing I like to do with Lucio is to shoot in the general direction of enemies and strafe tightly back and forth while I'm shooting. This makes your shot spread harder to dodge. He's very good on maps like Ilios (I think that's the name) where you can push people off points with his right click. Pay attention to the health of your team; when they're in good standing, switch to speed mode. When they're down a bit, use your E in health mode.

7 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

She has the largest headshot hitbox in the game. She might not be one shot, but she dies extremely easy. Reaper demolishes her among many others. I outlined her faults to much agreement from others. I'm not saying switch characters, but I can't fault you for dying when you play her. She's REALLY not good. 

She's the character that I'm often having zero deaths on. This is all that matters.

2 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Then generally speaking it's usually a good idea to find out why you're dying, as opposed to trying to find crappy band-aid solutions.

1 hour ago, Therapy Sergal said:

It would, if there were no unavoidable deaths. Sadly, there're so many bullshit mechanics, that the only way to not die, is staying in spawn. On top of my list is Widowmaker and random "press Q to kill everyone" ultimates.

10 minutes ago, Therapy Sergal said:

A: You have access to that same bullshit.

B: Snipers exist in virtually every multiplayer shooter. Learn to spot them, stay out of their sight lines, and most importantly keep moving.

C: All of the "press Q to kill everyone" abilities have some kind of audio cue to make you well aware of them.

You suddenly hear McCree shout "it's high noon?" Run for cover immediately (seriously that's a hard ult to kill people with since it's so obvious).

You hear Soldier 76" shout "they're in my sights?" Run the fuck away or kill him when he's not looking in your general direction.

You hear Junkrat scream "fire in the hole?" Look around you and try to spot his tire and shoot it ASAP (you'll know if it's close since it gets louder the closer you are to it).

There's plenty more, but ultimately you just have to learn how to avoid and/or counter this stuff. It's a thing you have to learn to do in virtually every game you'll ever play and Overwatch is no different.

4 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Except I don't really care for kills (weird, I know).

B: Snipers exist in virtually every multiplayer shooter. Learn to spot them, stay out of their sight lines, and most importantly keep moving.

On most maps I already know where enemy Widowmaker will stand, Staying out of her sight line will mean staying out of fight, and getting afk-kicked.

6 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

C: All of the "press Q to kill everyone" abilities have some kind of audio cue to make you well aware of them.

Like "die die die" ? When you die the moment he says so ?

7 minutes ago, Therapy Sergal said:

On most maps I already know where enemy Widowmaker will stand, Staying out of her sight line will mean staying out of fight, and getting afk-kicked.

There's side routes you know. You don't have to just run out in a single straight line every single time.

7 minutes ago, Therapy Sergal said:

High noon isn't instant, and everything (except maybe Soldier 76's visor if you're in like a 1v1 fight) has some kind of "wind-up" time to give you enough time to properly react.

Also you never want to be that close to Reaper regardless of whether he has his ult or not so if he kills you with his ult, he could have probably also killed you with his shotguns just as easily. Only exception would be if you're Tracer or McCree and you can catch him from behind since both characters have a similar playstyle, and can kill him before he gets a chance to react.

I want to add more on these two. If a sniper is being a problem, Use Genji to deflect that shit back in her face. Don't like Genji? Play Reinhardt and have your team behind you take out the sniper. Don't want to play either of those counters? That's your fault and you fucked your own self. Sorry. 

2 minutes ago, Therapy Sergal said:

You just have to keep an eye out for Reaper. It's all you can do. Keep him damaged and keep him backed off. If you're doing that, you should be able to off him real quick before you die, unless your D.Va in which case you'll never do enough damage to kill him. Because D.Va is awful at life. 

If you're Lucio, be quick on the push back. If you're Mercy, well, you're probably fucked, but Reaper is meant to counter most supports. That's just what this game is. You're meant to kill and be killed. 

---

More salt, because it's literally every single game.
 0152d86397.jpg

A big part of Overwatch is being prepared for enemy team ults. If there's a Reaper on the enemy team, then you should expect him to try and sneak up on your team and get a multikill with his ult. If you see him coming before it's too late then his ultimate is really easy to shut down. Any sort of stun will do it, and since he loses most of his mobility, you can sink all of your damage into his head for a fairly quick kill.

• Like 1

To be fair, his flashbang is stupid bullshit and everyone who plays him should die.

The guy never left clicked the entire game. Just flashbang, right click, roll, right click. Then more right clicks. 

I played him for a whole match and just dominated with him. He's so fucking easy to be good with. 

5 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

There's side routes you know. You don't have to just run out in a single straight line every single time.

Temple of Anubis, that passageway right after the stairs and the fountain. The only way to side routes is through it.

killed you with his shotguns just as easily.

Exactly. Killing is too easy in this game.

That's your fault and you fucked your own self. Sorry.

So you either play what you like and lose, or play what you hate and win.

7 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

unless your D.Va in which case you'll never do enough damage to kill him. Because D.Va is awful at life. 

She can survive it by using shield or jetpacking away.

7 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

If you're Mercy, well, you're probably fucked, but Reaper is meant to counter most supports. That's just what this game is. You're meant to kill and be killed. 

And then game keeps rubbing your deaths into your face, because you definitelly aren't humilated enough.

And then game keeps rubbing your deaths into your face, because you definitelly aren't humilated enough.

You can turn off killcams lol.

But honestly all I can say is at this point is pretty much git gud. Like you can come up with a million excuses but we told you how to deal with this stuff and if that's not enough then idk what else to really do.

The guy never left clicked the entire game. Just flashbang, right click, roll, right click. Then more right clicks. 

I played him for a whole match and just dominated with him. He's so fucking easy to be good with. 

Yeah he's easily one of the best characters in the game atm. Flashbang > M2 is one of the most easymode things I've seen since Modern Warfare 2's noobtube.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Therapy Sergal said:

Exactly. Killing is too easy in this game

Nope. It's meant to be that way. That's how it was designed. 

So you either play what you like and lose, or play what you hate and win

That, or rely on your teammates not sucking. if you played with friends, ideally you could play whatever you please. In pugs, you have to adapt or lose. 

She can survive it by using shield or jetpacking away.

That's nice you survived, but anyone else in the ult is now dead. You couldn't help the team and you certainly can't carry it with D.Va. 

Seriously though, if you learn how to play Winston, he's so hard to kill and a billion times more useful than D.Va.

I find them useful. Though, I don't take games seriously to the point I rage. I think that's a personal flaw. 

I don't want to sound rude saying all this, but like Pastry, I don't know what else to say. You have the tools, you refuse to use em.

5 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Yeah he's easily one of the best characters in the game atm. Flashbang > M2 is one of the most easymode things I've seen since Modern Warfare 2's noobtube.

And people get just as mad over it :v

I have no idea how they could balance it. I don't think they can. 
I guess they could take out the right click? You can still land a head shot after a flash, and it's doesn't instagib the enemy. Or they could just lower right click's damage. I dunno, either would feel like gimping him.

• Like 1

Overwatch is a game that is tuned for quick deaths, and fast re-spawns. That's not a problem, it's intended. You're supposed to play the counter game and switch between heroes when you hit a wall on the other team. You're supposed to die sometimes and good players can die a lot in a round. That's the kind of balance they went for and it's not going to change anytime soon.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

I have no idea how they could balance it. I don't think they can. 

I guess they could take out the right click? You can still land a head shot after a flash, and it's doesn't instagib the enemy. Or they could just lower right click's damage. I dunno, either would feel like gimping him.

Umm, increase the cooldown of the flashbang? Increase the reload speed after alt-firing?

I think it's just one of those design things.

At least there isn't any maps like that one map in Splatoon where a single sniper (AKA me) could reliably shut down an entire team from my spawn.

We talked about it earlier in the thread, but if you prefer the MOBA style but like the FPS bits, I suggest Battleborn. It'd be exactly what you want. 

This comes down to the fact that people need to research before buying. You should have known what the game was before buying, and the close alternatives that could be more suited to your tastes. Unless you just like throwing money at Blizz, this may have been a mistake? Hopefully not. Hopefully you can learn how to play the game a bit more, get used to it's style. 

1 minute ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Umm, increase the cooldown of the flashbang? Increase the reload speed after alt-firing?

I think it's just one of those design things.

At least there isn't any maps like that one map in Splatoon where a single sniper (AKA me) could reliably shut down an entire team from my spawn.

The reload speed wouldn't be that much of an issue as rolling auto-reloads as is. I could take out Winstons with two volleys with roll reload. That's less than two seconds to demolish a Tank.

18 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

You can turn off killcams lol.

But honestly all I can say is at this point is pretty much git gud. Like you can come up with a million excuses but we told you how to deal with this stuff and if that's not enough then idk what else to really do.

It's not like I asked for advice.

13 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

I don't want to sound rude saying all this, but like Pastry, I don't know what else to say. You have the tools, you refuse to use em.

I don't even know why I discuss personal problems in this place. Last time was a disaster, this one isn't going to be much better. So just ignore me and move on. I'll manage.

Just now, Falaffel said:

The reload speed wouldn't be that much of an issue as rolling auto-reloads as is. I could take out Winstons with two volleys with roll reload. That's less than two seconds to demolish a Tank.

I was thinking about that but figured I'd throw it out there anyways. Maybe just decrease the damage on alt-firing and maybe buffing his normal attacks to encourage more precision aiming?

Eh whatever, I'll just continue being an asshole until they inevitably nerf him into the fucking ground.

I don't even know why I discuss personal problems in this place. Last time was a disaster, this one isn't going to be much better. So just ignore me and move on. I'll manage.

We're not trying to be assholes. We're just responding to what you're saying and you're simply getting super defensive.

Believe me I'd love to help you enjoy the game and to overall help you out, but it's hard when you ignore everything we say.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Therapy Sergal said:

I mean, Pachi asked for who you play as and if you wanted help. You responded to him giving him the information he asked for. Therefore, we all assumed you wanted help. From there, you refused all help. You never once asked us to stop. I don't know what you expect from us? I was sincerely trying to help you.

2 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I was thinking about that but figured I'd throw it out there anyways. Maybe just decrease the damage on alt-firing and maybe buffing his normal attacks to encourage more precision aiming?

Eh whatever, I'll just continue being an asshole until they inevitably nerf him into the fucking ground.

I like that idea. Maybe if I wasn't lazy, I'd go suggest something like that where it matters :v

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Therapy Sergal said:

There is : Having fun. I'm not having fun when I die.

c8a50fac0f56764429cfbe287db12885.png

I'm just trying to help man. lol

You were expressing you were struggling and I'm trying to help you die less AND be more efficient for your team. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Since we're in a helping mood, how the fuck do I play Reinhardt?
I never feel useful.

I want to know how specifically because I just unlocked his Paragon skin and "Catch Phrase!" So I figure I oughta git gud with him.

From what I've seen, Reinhardt is definitely the best for blocking damage, so he's really good for pushing your team past enemy defenses 

especially at the beginning of a match when people like to camp right outside your base 

1 minute ago, willow said:

From what I've seen, Reinhardt is definitely the best for blocking damage, so he's really good for pushing your team past enemy defenses 

especially at the beginning of a match when people like to camp right outside your base 

Right, right. I think most of my problem is no knowing where to be on certain maps and how to use the charge and ult effectively. 

I think my other problem is I need my team to back me up and they never do. That may be because I don't know where to be and when to push up. 

I think that may just be something I'll have to learn. I realize it'd be hard to explain over text what I'm supposed to do :v

By the way, key to killing Reaper from what I've seen.

Know the map you're playing on. If he goes phantom, chase his ass down. However, if you know there is a health pack nearby, then fuck it, redirect your attention. A newly healed Reaper will easily take out any character if caught alone.

I don't get where all this D.Va hate is coming from I have over 3 hours logged as the character and a 77% win rate.  She is excellent at flushing out snipers thus protecting your team.  You call her a selfish tank, but that is a very simple way of seeing it where as I tend to play her as a proactive tank.  I keep threats off my team by chasing them down and pushing them away. 

Its hard to tell, but her Defense matrix doesn't just protect her it actually extends quite a bit outward and eliminates projectiles in the air if they happen to be in front of her.  You can observe this most readily observable against Junkrat because his bombs are large and slowly move through the air.  Also Defense Matrix can absorb the majority of Roadhog's ultimate with no ill effects which is something no other tank can do.

Her Ult has problems and sure it isn't likely to score a lot of kills but it guaranteed forces enemies to move away from a point or payload to a considerable distance if placed correctly and getting the enemy team away from the objective is how you really win games  Also you use it at low health and then right after words you summon your mech again for a full heal.

You claim but that her head being on her front makes her some sort of easier target to get headshots on, but guess what every character in the game has their head on the front of them.  They also have their heads on the side and back of them its a 360% target.  D.Va is essentially protected from headshots from various angles. 

Then on top of having a huge pool of hps with the most armor in the game if you get through all of that she isn't even dead.  She turns into a small decently mobile target with an accurate gun with a high rate of fire that is respectfully damaging.  Then if you don't kill the little girl quickly she summons her mech again for a full heal.

I am not saying she is the greatest character or that she is op just that she has her uses and she isn't worth counting out of the game. 

Also I like playing D.Va because I can almost always kill McCree 1v1 as her and I fucking hate McCree.