Oversharing

#00Buck

Oversharing  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How well do you share yourself with others?

• Overshare.
    • Just Right.
    • Undershare.
    • No Sharing.

I "overshare," get paranoid that everyone thinks I'm a self-centered attention whore or something, then avoid talking about myself for the next week or so.

I feel like I think waayy to hard about this stuff. Kind of hard to tell the difference between paranoia and reality.

Your posts have been really well-received here though, buck, so you at least shouldn't worry about that.

• Like 3

I guess I'd need a definition of what's meant by "oversharing." Could we get some examples?

Personally, I like hearing about people's lives. The only thing that bugs me is when people talk AT me instead of WITH me, but I don't think you have that problem Buck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pothocket said:

I "overshare," get paranoid that everyone thinks I'm a self-centered attention whore or something, then avoid talking about myself for the next week or so.

I feel like I think waayy to hard about this stuff. Kind of hard to tell the difference between paranoia and reality.

Your posts have been really well-received here though, buck, so you at least shouldn't worry about that.

Yeah, I get worried about this too. 

3 hours ago, Pignog said:

I guess I'd need a definition of what's meant by "oversharing." Could we get some examples?

Personally, I like hearing about people's lives. The only thing that bugs me is when people talk AT me instead of WITH me, but I don't think you have that problem Buck.

I guess saying more than you should.

I guess you know it was more than you should have said because of negative effects or people thinking the wrong thing. 

2 hours ago, Endless/Nameless said:

I think "oversharing" is a usually a nonproblem created in our heads or by social stigma. 

Maybe but in order to overshare you need people to share with in the first place. 

I have learned to undershare severely. It's a fairly recent development, but it works for me. In the past I was too trusting and opened up to people a lot. I thought that I was getting closer to people as friends, but really they didn't give a fuck. Words tended to get spread around like soft butter on hot toast, by people I thought I could trust. Fire, burned, lesson learned, etc.

On the plus side, my pointless smalltalk has improved considerably.

• Like 1

Just now, Mayonnaise said:

How do you do smalltalk?

Best way is to start talking about something relevant to what you're doing or where you're at. And listen to the other person! Very important yes. Most of the time there is always a follow up question you could ask to keep things going. For example, last time I was in the pub I had a great talk with a woman about a new beer on tap. Friendly, pleasant smalltalk.

• Like 1

I have a feeling I overshare on certain things but I'm also very personal about things that I hold close to me. So I don't overshare on things that are close to me... *shrugs*

I just don't overshare as it is. I'll talk about myself if someone asks me to, but that's it.

And I tend not to get personal with people unless they're very close friends.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Yeah, I was pretty self conscious about putting Dick-pics on Grindr, so I sent them to my Mother first to ask her what she thought.

C:

Mothers are obligated to say your penis is very handsome, should've asked your father instead.

• Like 1

I'm very reclusive about my personal feelings because no one really gives a shit (especially over the Internet) and you risk pushing others away, not to mention that you get a rep for being a whiny little bitch.  

• Like 3

I was thinking of posting another really long thread but I'm feeling kind of iffy about it.

I just don't want everyone to get sick of my posting.

Let me know if I'm overdoing it.

Maybe I should wait a few days before I post it. 

Or whatever. 

2 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

I was thinking of posting another really long thread but I'm feeling kind of iffy about it.

I just don't want everyone to get sick of my posting.

Let me know if I'm overdoing it.

Maybe I should wait a few days before I post it. 

Or whatever. 

I worry that I overshare or dominate conversations a bit. It's something I actively think about when I talk to people for long periods of time. "it's not about you right now, it's not about you right now, it's not about you right now" etc.

No one has ever told me i overshare or dominate conversations though.

Hell, I tend to not talk all that much in social gatherings. Half of me wants to since I have opinions on everything--D:--but the other half is content with listening to conversations or music if music is playing. Much prefer the music.

9 hours ago, Conker said:

I worry that I overshare or dominate conversations a bit. It's something I actively think about when I talk to people for long periods of time. "it's not about you right now, it's not about you right now, it's not about you right now" etc.

No one has ever told me i overshare or dominate conversations though.

Hell, I tend to not talk all that much in social gatherings. Half of me wants to since I have opinions on everything--D:--but the other half is content with listening to conversations or music if music is playing. Much prefer the music.

I actually wish you would talk more in the cooking chat.

I enjoy conversations with you.

You should talk more. 

• Like 1

Undersharer, for sure. Im a severely closed person and I never share anything unless asked and even then Im guarded depending on how personal and controversial the subject is

I dont know if its nature or nurture that made me this way...if Ive learned from the past to shut off everything or if I just shut off to everything around me because its how I am

I think part of the reason I dont share is because I cant always phrase words and feelings in all the ways I could ever want to explain it right, and I dont often feel anyone remotely cares to sit down and listen to me when I speak anyways, so it never seems to matter.

Here however, I tend to be far more open than anything because I dont have anything to hold me back. This feels like a more open place where anything goes and anyone can pop in and make a comment or a thread, whereas in life I feel like I need some permission to speak my mind

• Like 1

If you look at my Facebook page, it's mostly videos, articles, memes, and other things I find interesting or compelling. Occasionally, I'll post a photo album of an experience or a trip, or I'll post or tag someone else's photos of me. Otherwise, I'd say that I generally prefer to express who I am gradually, subtly, and more through what I think, what I feel, and what I know, than who I am or what I've done from a strict "autobiographical stats" standpoint.

At my job, I reckon most of my colleagues know a lot more about the other intern than they know about me.

When I feel at ease, I tend to dominate the fuck out of discussions and conversations, unless I make a conscious and deliberate point to reel myself in. I generally love to regale people with stories, jokes, information, and anecdotes, so it's easy for me to monopolize a conversation or constantly interrupt if I'm not careful.

But, when I'm in a loud, busy place, I tend to clam up because I can't hear and can't focus anyway.

I think I share just right. I've been known to upload journals of my personal life to public places (I find writing about my life to be very relieving, and even more so when people can sympathize - it's a win-win, and if people don't want to read it, they won't read it). I'm an open book when it comes to certain things, and I can get a bit overbearing if the subject is a hot one and ideals are in question.

But, I tend to stay quiet around new and unfamiliar faces. Close friends never hear the end of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, #00Buck said:

I actually wish you would talk more in the cooking chat.

I enjoy conversations with you.

You should talk more. 

Ha. I can try next time one shows up. The problem is, I'm usually alt tabbed doing something else, so it's half background noise.

But I do enjoy the company of everyone that shows up in that cooking chat. Y'all some good people.

• Like 1