BREXIT

Brexit Poll  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brexit a good idea?

• Yeah
    • Nah

15 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

So what exactly is the reason the UK wanted to leave?

What would be the effects on either result?

Reasons people want to leave include stuff like:

• better chance at reduced immigration.
  • more democracy in the UK: all laws made in UK, not affected by EU, i.e. returning sovereignty to the UK.
  • less red tape for businesses.
  • more money available for UK services when the UK doesn't need to pay into EU. 

And loads of other reasons that I've forgotten.

The reason the referendum is happening is basically because the Conservatives promised one during the election campaign, probably to attract a few UKIP voters, and expected to drop the plans when they went into another coalition. However they unexpectedly ended up getting a majority in the UK parliament so they had to press ahead. 

The effects of either result are multitudinous - remain, then things will probably largely stay the same but the EU will probably change a few things within itself in recognition that there are large criticisms of it (large enough for one of its biggest members to hold a referendum on membership). Leave and then it's more uncertain - generally it's accepted there will be a couple of years of uncertainty and possible decline while the UK sorts itself out now it's left the EU and works out various possible trade deals and where it now sits in the world internationally, however the main question is whether things will improve after that, stay the same or decline further. Tariffs could be introduced on our imports and exports or they could not; the UK could see it international power and influence fall or it could not; the economy could decline further or it could not; etc etc. 

If the referendum is a close remain result, I'd imagine there would be some political unrest and then possibly another referendum in a few years. There could be a snap general election later this year or next year, if the Conservatives throw out David Cameron and then decide to test whoever their new leader and Prime Minister ends up being (Boris Johnson? Michael Gove? Someone else???). UKIP would be a weird one - they could ride on the dissatisfaction of the leave voters who are dissapointed the UK didn't end up leaving and take a lot of seats, or they could fizzle out now their founding cause and reason to exist has been answered - people could give up on the idea of Brexit and not be bothered to vote for them. If they come up with new policies to fill out their manifesto I imagine they could become a very comfortable third or fourth party. 

If it's a slim leave result, I think one possibility could be that the UK's exit from the EU would be agreed and negotiated, everything planned and in place for an official exit, and then possibly another referendum could be held to confirm that the UK still wants to leave, just to double-check. Either that or a snap-general election where the results for each party could confirm the general trends of the public towards or away from Brexit.

• Like 1

Just now, Rassah said:

Exciting times!

Like I said I'm interested to see the political shitstorm that'll go down if Brexit does happen. Prime minister probably resigns or gets kicked out by rest of party, conservative infighting, new general election, possible 2nd scottish independence referendum in a few years.......

Exciting times indeed.

My rule of thumb: If the whiny, liberals, they/them/plantsexual people think it's a bad idea, it's probably a good idea. 

Congratulations on the Brexit win. Now I'll go and go back to being Toshabi which involves not really being apart of EU politics cause I'm pretty much Chief Bogo who cares lol zootopia reference extra furry points lol 

31 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

UK media commentators have called it saying all mathematical models show that LEAVE will win.

They are calling it. LEAVE is predicted as the result. 

2 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

My rule of thumb: If the whiny, liberals, they/them/plantsexual people think it's a bad idea, it's probably a good idea. 

Congratulations on the Brexit win. Now I'll go and go back to being Toshabi which involves not really being apart of EU politics cause I'm pretty much Chief Bogo who cares lol zootopia reference extra furry points lol 

phrl12s.gif

• Like 1

[11:40:50 PM] Mati (Kooky): There's gonna be drastic actions done within the rest of this year and the next one
[11:40:58 PM] Fen: so what happens now
[11:41:01 PM] Mati (Kooky): that will change the face Europe, I tell you
[11:41:26 PM] Fen: Or everything will collapse in on itself
[11:41:27 PM] Ariosto: So it may seem at first glance, coming from an economics illiterate.
[11:41:35 PM] Fen: And the US will gain a 51 state :^ )

THE NATIONS NOT SO BLESSED AS THEE

MUST IN THEIR TURNS TO TYRANTS FALL

WHILE THOU SHALT FLOURISH GREAT AND FREE

THE DREAD AND ENVY OF THEM ALL

RULE BRITANNIA

BRITANNIA RULE THE WAVES

BRITONS NEVER NEVER NEVER WILL BE SLAVES!

proud of you bongistan~

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

How to you think Brexit happening would affect other countries like the US?

I'm not an expert on the situation, but being part of the EU affected trade, right? There were reduced tarrifs, or maybe free trade entirely?

If the uk loses that privilege then they might branch out their import/exports to other areas of the world, like perhaps north america

idk that's the only possible effect I can see it having on the us

I'm not surprised by the outcome, because while I know pretty much nothing about European politics (or any politics), I do know that the European Union has been struggling economically and that the refugee crisis has been a big problem for everyone. And I don't blame Britain for leaving; in fact I commend its attitude that they're not a country that can just be pushed around and told what to do. Still, it's sad to see another division in the world, when we should all be striving towards unity. I mean the aliens will never let us into the intergalactic federation unless we do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Another Ampers& said:

I'm not an expert on the situation, but being part of the EU affected trade, right? There were reduced tarrifs, or maybe free trade entirely?

If the uk loses that privilege then they might branch out their import/exports to other areas of the world, like perhaps north america

idk that's the only possible effect I can see it having on the us

Yeah the EU provided a single market which allowed free trade between every country in the EU, and a few other non-EU european countries which negotiated free trade deals allowing them access to the single market. 

37 minutes ago, Cingal said:

SbJoCHm.jpg

I think there's a bit of a difference between tightening immigration control and THE FUCKING SLAVE TRADE.

And while I'm on the subject, big wall to fence off Mexico, anyone?

...not that I'm especially supportive of Brexit, but that's just revolting.

45 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

CltfaK8UoAACfWy.jpg:large

I saw on Twitter some user said something like 'I'm staying off twitter today. the idea of a brexit is genuinely upsetting to me.'

Which is just about all the proof you need that these people can't function in the real world.

8 hours ago, #00Buck said:

Saxon Leaves Phoenix and UK leaves the EU.

Today everyone is happier. 

I liked Saxon :c

Anyway now we're leaving the EU maybe the UK won't be 'cucked' as you put it. But we'd need to reform immigration regulations to do so, which is something I have seen the Labour party stay disappointingly quiet about.

1 hour ago, Sutekh_the_Steak said:

Yeah the EU provided a single market which allowed free trade between every country in the EU, and a few other non-EU european countries which negotiated free trade deals allowing them access to the single market. 

WTO

EFTA

We'll still have access to their market one way or another! Other than that, we're now free to try reconnect with the Commonwealth "we" previously abandoned.

Congrats on Brexit!

"The next 2 years will prove the UK made a horrible mistake. The next 100 will prove that it didn't. #Brexit" - Erik Voorhees.

10 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

How to you think Brexit happening would affect other countries like the US?

Directly it won't. Indirectly, I'm guessing this will emphasize economic issues in EU, and after Cyprus and Greece, with already deep worries about Italy, Spain, and others, UK leaving may end up tipping things over with the Euro. Should this cause the economy to crash in Europe, capital will move out of Europe into "traditional" safe havens, the biggest of which is US dollars, real estate, and stocks, and those things will go up quite a bit as a result. Otherwise UK is still a close trading partner with UK, so policy and trade between US and UK won't change.

This might also give more motivation for Texas and New Hampshire to exit too.

2 hours ago, SirRob said:

Still, it's sad to see another division in the world, when we should all be striving towards unity.

You can still have unity without being forced around and told what to do by others. Unity doesn't mean united under a single oppressor :P

I wish I could print these virtue-signalling liberals' posts out so I can rub them all over myself.

Yes, yes, Brexit is because we hate brown people, please educate us more on our own affairs. Never mind that places like Birmingham and Bradford voted out.

Not denying that a good bunch of brexiters don't like brown people, but c'mon. Don't be so intellectually dishonest.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

I wish I could print these virtue-signalling liberals' posts out so I can rub them all over myself.

Yes, yes, Brexit is because we hate brown people, please educate us more on our own affairs. Never mind that places like Birmingham and Bradford voted out.

Not denying that a good bunch of brexiters don't like brown people, but c'mon. Don't be so intellectually dishonest.

Yes, Birmingham/Coventry/Wolverhampton are all full of filthy racists apparently...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

This is now a Liberal Tears thread.

CltfaK8UoAACfWy.jpg:large

Thus Spoke Zaraphayx.

Ef them.  They prefer the globalists' version of the future built on hope, distractions,  and the ever increasing control of the elite.  

Ah, well, the pound is falling fast in relation to the dollar, as I'd thought. Time to order all that kinky puppy play gear I've been wanting. ;)

Why are so many places that sell kinky stuff located in the UK? I've thought that maybe because it's an island, you get bored, so you get more creative, sexually.

Ah, well, it's like the whole country is on sale! The UK pound hit a 30 year low today.

9 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Ah, well, the pound is falling fast in relation to the dollar, as I'd thought. Time to order all that kinky puppy play gear I've been wanting. ;)

Why are so many places that sell kinky stuff located in the UK? I've thought that maybe because it's an island, you get bored, so you get more creative, sexually.

Ah, well, it's like the whole country is on sale! The UK pound hit a 30 year low today.

OMG THE VALUE OF THE POUND HAS DROPPED IT'S GONNA STAY LIKE THIS AND WE'RE GONNA HAVE ANOTHER RECESSION THANKS BREXITORS

3 minutes ago, Wax said:

OMG THE VALUE OF THE POUND HAS DROPPED IT'S GONNA STAY LIKE THIS AND WE'RE GONNA HAVE ANOTHER RECESSION THANKS BREXITORS

I mean, the value of shit fluctuates every day. I imagine the value dropped coz there was a panic. Is a panic, since ithappened yesterday. I'm sure shit will regulate and the pound will hit a spot that's healthy for it again. (I'm replying seriously just as a general thought, not directed at you). 

4 minutes ago, Zaraphayx said:

I meaaann... The dude's right about being united, but not in the sense of Britain being part of the EU, or in the sense of people being racially and religiously united in a time where there is a possibility of it being dangerous to do so.

And the Trump comment about 'savagery' is just idiotic.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Only question remaining is how will EU respond? Will Germany try to invade UK again?

I think we should invade! I mean, we never did get even with them for burning down the White House and Capitol in the war of 1812. Trump's wall idea is dumb, compared to my plans.

I say we invade, and then, we can make them our butlers and maids, like in Downton Abbey. I don't know about you, but I get tired of cooking and cleaning. Plus, the accents are just adorable and the British generally seem very witty.

There may be a few small problems, as in that I live in a small studio apartment, as opposed to a manor house. But I guess they can sleep on the floor, which will give them additional incentive to keep it clean :v

• Like 2

Scotland and Northern Ireland voted Remain.  In Scotland's case, it was lopsided almost 2:1, and it was so uniformly lopsided that not a single one of its constituencies voted Leave.

A few things happened in the immediate aftermath that have me wondering how ill-informed the voters were, or more truthfully how many well-informed voters chose not to vote.  First, before Cameron resigned (and thank goodness he did), Farange admitted that Leave's major campaign promise about NHS money was basically a lie.  Also, a voter went on TV saying he voted Leave and was shocked and saddened to see Leave won.

And then there's Trump.  He landed in Scotland this morning and said they took back their country, either not knowing or not caring they voted opposite England and Wales.

I heard rumor there's a petition for a second Scottish indyref because of Brexit, and so many people are trying to sign it that the site is crashing.

• Like 1

As far as I am aware, it will take a few years for anything major to happen. Until then, we can see some businesses being unsure about the UK.

On another note, Scotland got fucked over.

5 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

And then there's Trump.  He landed in Scotland this morning and said they took back their country, either not knowing or not caring they voted opposite England and Wales.

Pure genius.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

https://www.rt.com/uk/347631-mexian-flag-trump-golf/

Just now, MalletFace said:

As far as I am aware, it will take a few years for anything major to happen. Until then, we can see some businesses being unsure about the UK.

Afaik, with the official Result of the Referendum the 2 years begin. During that time the UK remains a full member  and negotiations for post-leave happen.