BREXIT

Brexit Poll  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brexit a good idea?

• Yeah
    • Nah

11 minutes ago, Rassah said:

1) Such a statist question. It's sad it needs to be asked. People should just be able to live anywhere someone is willing to sell them a house or rent them a flat.

2) Assuming EU is even around in ten years... London is also a major government center, so people there are both more used to and more dependent on governments 😞(working for, not welfare).

That would be the "Has it's own tailored EU deal." Meme is still sound.

Has to adopt rules. Unsound.

1 hour ago, Rassah said:

Be like Switzerland, guys.

FB_IMG_1466907851417.jpg

Hang on, exports 5X more to the EU than the UK exports to the EU?

Looking up the numbers, in 2008 (Okay, a little old, but probably fairly close to today) Switzerland exported 47.2 euro to the EU. In comparison, in 2015 the UK exported a value of 281 Billion to the EU... (This number was derived from a value of 299 Billion Pounds, and since the British Pound has tanked this week, this conversion is likely not accurate and the value in Euro at the time of export would actually have been higher).  This is the OPPOSITE of a 5X export advantage for Switzerland.  ...Rassah, did you just see an image with text and assume that it must be well researched and factual?  Yo know, like all those Facebook memes with 'inspirational quotes' from the likes of Ghandi, The Dalai Lama, or Albert Einstein, but those individuals never said those words, but idiots think they said them because a Facebook image SAID they did?

69073954.jpg

1 hour ago, Butters said:

The decision makes me wonder about a few things though.

1. What happens to the UK people who live abroad in continental Europe? Are all those retirees in Spain and southern France going to have to move back to Slough? And what of the workers who are from other EU nations? Will they have to return home?

2.  If most of the young people support remain (and as the older "leave" voters die off)...isn't it likely England would try to rejoin the EU in a matter of decades? A lot of people in London voted to remain...isn't London a major financial center in England? Seems like delaying the inevitable. 

Will the EU not collapse within on itself within that time? I mean historically once one country wins back it's independence, everyone else suddenly tries to do the same like in the case of the French Revolution or the 'Arab Spring' (of course I know there's huge difference between the two, but I'm simply saying there's historical precedence that these sorts of things cause a domino effect that may in this case mark the beginning of the end of the EU as we currently know it).

I mean the US went from Reagan to Obama, and 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell" to legalizing gay marriage within the span of a few decades so attitudes can certainly change. No way to say which way it will swing though.

I would hope once people realize the world isn't going to end because [liberal pundit] said it would once things inevitably stabilize makes people realize they're gonna be fine.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Chose to. Never joined EU , so wasn't forced into anything.

Guys, revenger what happened to USSR when one country left it?

By that standard, UK wasn't forced to, either. They chose to, rather than just leaving (until now)

Parliament still has to formally tell the EU the UK's leaving, right?  And despite his pledge to the contrary, Cameron didn't.  With a lot of MPs (a majority?) opposed to Brexit, he did a dickish thing instead: quit his post and let someone else take the blame.

51 minutes ago, ArielMT said:

Parliament still has to formally tell the EU the UK's leaving, right?  And despite his pledge to the contrary, Cameron didn't.  With a lot of MPs (a majority?) opposed to Brexit, he did a dickish thing instead: quit his post and let someone else take the blame.

Yup, my previous post is wrong. 2 Year period starts when the member country notifying the EU. The ref wasn't binding, so.... Technically they could completely ignore it.

If i heard right, the current plan is to do it after an election in October.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toboe said:

Yup, my previous post is wrong. 2 Year period starts when the member country notifying the EU. The ref wasn't binding, so.... Technically they could completely ignore it.

If i heard right, the current plan is to do it after an election in October.

I don't want to oversell your post, but it's probably the most important one in this thread.

I checked and what you said appears to be correct. This would explain why the vote wasn't rigged to be "stay" if it was supposed to be so damned important for stability.

We've got a non-binding vote that can be ignored by parliament. Even if they take it on board the negotiation phase would last at least 2 years (knowing bureaucracies it would probably take twice as long if not longer).

Market reactions aside, this vote doesn't fundamentally change the trade connections and interdependence between UK and Europe on its own though it could have future implications. If I didn't know better I could swear it was more of an exercise in getting the local population to blow off a bit of steam given the economic trouble they're in.

6 hours ago, Butters said:

2.  If most of the young people support remain (and as the older "leave" voters die off)...isn't it likely England would try to rejoin the EU in a matter of decades? A lot of people in London voted to remain...isn't London a major financial center in England? Seems like delaying the inevitable. 

I think it's likely the EU would hardly exist (or become even more unattractive to the UK) in a matter of decades.

6 hours ago, Butters said:

3. Nigel Farage backtracks on the promise of Leave to guarantee that the 350 million that would be sent to the EU would be spent rather on the NHS. That's deceiving. (But not unsurprising from politicians I guess) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-result-nigel-farage-nhs-pledge-disowns-350-million-pounds-a7099906.html Do any people who voted "leave" feel cheated?

No, while this 350 million thing isn't going to help the NHS, dodging the TPIP will. If the EU had implemented it, we'd have to put up with it and the Eurocrats would not be held accountable. Should an English political party put it in place, it'd ensure they'd never gain a majority again.

Can't answer you on the British retirees/workers living in the EU, though. I think that's more of the EU's thing to decide. As for EU workers who are here in the UK, it's not like they're going to be deported overnight or something. Something has yet to be worked out, but I think they're going to be given quite a grace period to get their affairs in order before we formally and fully secede.
The original plan was that we'd have two years until then, but it's starting to look like the Eurocrats are so mad, they want us gone ASAP

12 hours ago, Rassah said:

Chose to. Never joined EU , so wasn't forced into anything.

Seeing as the EU is already prepared to use the Guillotine Clause of their agreements to cancel all deals with the Swiss followed by an attempt to isolate their market from the rest of the world after the Swiss people chose to break the rules, I agree; the Swiss people chose to deal with the EU.

Switzerland, a landlocked nation surrounded by EU member states at the time of the Bilateral I agreements, was in no way pressured into dealing with the EU. No coercion there at all. The Swiss just decided that the EU was handy. They considered focusing on trade with the Principality of Liechtenstein, but they decided that it was basically an EU state and cut the middle man, all of their own will.

Also, suggesting that the UK break from the EU and then make agreements to abide by most, if not all, EU rules with no say in their creation and execution in return for less than they had before is an odd thing for any kind of libertarian to say.

• Like 1

Brexit is a mess and the 51.9 majority is bullshit to act on when talking of a decision this large. There are thresholds for most votings so why this would be so different, I don't know. People taking the "neverendum" too seriously

The nation is torn in half by pro/against EU and on-street racism is at an all time high and immigrants are being told to fuck off because "we voted you out"

Gotta love the fall of pound, lowest it has been in 30yrs

Gotta love the fractured UK, which will soon just be England and maybe Wales after Scotland and Ireland fuck off. Funny enough London wants to become an independent area and a part of the EU, sorta like the Vatican I think.

Gotta love the fallen UK  stock shares. Last I heard on the radio was akin to 125 billion if my hearing served me right.

Gotta love the car industries working to fuck off and other multinational firms to fire people and just bail the UK for the most part, increasing unemployment

Gotta love the blatant LIES and redactions UKIP and Vote Leave made. Also Farage conceding when the first Remain majorities appeared, and later be like it was never in doubt. He also forgot his speech where he said if Remain won with similar percentages it'd be a long way from over. Funny double standards this man has.

Gotta love the "This war was won without a single bullet fired" speech from Farage. I'm sure Jo Cox would disagree. So tactful, so honest.

Gotta love being thrown to the back of trade queues and organizations

Gotta love increased prices on most things, related to the devaluation of pound

Gotta love Leave people acting offended that they are under criticism for their vote bullying and attitudes.

Gotta love UK's credit outlook being negative.

Gotta love how the information searches for the EU went up AFTER THE FUCKING VOTE, WHICH MEANS PEOPLE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY WERE VOTING OUT OF.

Gotta love how offended Leave people are now that their public rasism isn't tolerated and people are actually still holding them accountable for manners. Surprisingly people don't like assholes. Who would've thought!

Gotta love how it was the seniors who were the most pro-Leave. We all know that 60+ people are the most well versed in information hunting online and can make decisions based solely on pure raw facts and not be persuaded by overly patriotic speeches that have little substance other than emotional appeal.

Gotta love the sense of REGRET some Leave voters have shown

Gotta love how people can't actually make out which law was the UK's own and which was made by the EU, but thanks to propaganda every gov.t shortcoming was blamed on EU.

Gotta love how immigrants of any kind, even the successful ones are being attacked.

Gotta love how people don't even know what the difference between illegal and legal immigration really is.

Gotta love how the UK still has to adhere to free travel laws and many other EU laws, only now they have fuck-all to say in them if they still want to trade. Loss of power for little to no gain. Well done.

What the fuck even is the "independence day" from? You have been an independent nation for forever. This is like celebrating unsubscribing from a book club you were in. Whatever, it's not like anybody actually cared of this as long as they got told this nationalistic bullshit.

The funny thing is, I think EU is flawed as fuck. Outdated and overgrown. I just think the way you guys have gone off about EU is so wrong. Instead of fixing it you jump ship like a bunch of undignified cowards. If there's a silver lining to this, it is that EU has to take a serious step back and rethink its policies now. How sad the UK won't be there to feel the improvements.

I am actually very shocked of the result. I knew people were stupid, but to this amount I had no idea. Despite leading experts telling shit would suck, you wanted to be basically just "eww, niggers, lets regain our borders and build a wall".. It's one thing to be edgy and cool online but don't take your stupidity for the whole nation to bear. Have you fuckers even traveled to UK before? You need to send your passport data beforehand and subject yourself to checks. It's not like you could just waltz in even with the EU.

The sad thing is Remain knew all this shit would happen. People want to move away from the sinking ship, taking the intellectual knowledge of a modern generation away from the UK, and I say good for them to do this. Many a Remain voter are just as appalled at this clusterfuck they've literally all cried.

I really hope Scotland vetoes this referendum and cancels out the Leave.

Most of all, this really, really upsets me.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-nigel-farage-nhs-350-million-pounds-live-health-service-u-turn-a7102831.html

Yes I 'm sure you never even knew what you were campaigning with.

stream_img.jpg

Fucking manipulative liars.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

Brexit is a mess and the 51.9 majority is bullshit to act on when talking of a decision this large. There are thresholds for most votings so why this would be so different, I don't know. People taking the "neverendum" too seriously

If no limits were agreed upon beforehand...

The ref is also unbinding, uk government could technically completely ignore it.

11 hours ago, Sir Gibby said:

The original plan was that we'd have two years until then, but it's starting to look like the Eurocrats are so mad, they want us gone ASAP

Afaik, the original plan is that once the member informs the EU of the wish to leave, a 2 years period starts during which the member is still "in" with all of its rights and duties. During that time the details of the leave  are negotiated. If within that time the member and the EU can't agree on a leave-plan or a prolonging of the 2-year period, the member drops out completely.

Only thing i heard from the "Eurocrats" is that they want the 2 year period to begin asap. 

(But i know, that doesn't fit your victim mentality)

Instead of fixing it you jump ship like a bunch of undignified cowards. If there's a silver lining to this, it is that EU has to take a serious step back and rethink its policies now.

Look at this shit, do you really think the UK would have been a good influence?

Despite leading experts telling shit would suck,

"Leading experts" 

There have been so many bullshit political "experts". Economists said this, Economists said that...  That makes it very easy for 'kippers, someone disagrees with you and cites his sources? Smear him to be one of those fake experts. Or take it the anti-intellectual route. (Kinda like the previous thing, just imagining that there is no distinction between real and bullshit experts)

So what? That everything is back to square one? (well, plus some shocked markets and "we can do it too!" mentality in the anti-EU crowd)

If we survive the Eng-Exit at least that would shift the political landscape a bit. (As they lose any say in EU politics)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11054187/Spain-and-Belgium-would-veto-an-independent-Scotlands-EU-membership.html

Spain and Belgium already announced they'd block an independent Scotland from joining the EU.

Admittedly, this was a year or so ago, but, chances are they'd likely stick to it as their secessionist movements have only grown stronger since then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

The nation is torn in half by pro/against EU and on-street racism is at an all time high and immigrants are being told to fuck off because "we voted you out"

Gotta love the fall of pound, lowest it has been in 30yrs

Gotta love the fractured UK, which will soon just be England and maybe Wales after Scotland and Ireland fuck off. Funny enough London wants to become an independent area and a part of the EU, sorta like the Vatican I think.

Gotta love the fallen UK  stock shares. Last I heard on the radio was akin to 125 billion if my hearing served me right.

Gotta love the car industries working to fuck off and other multinational firms to fire people and just bail the UK for the most part, increasing unemployment

Gotta love the blatant LIES and redactions UKIP and Vote Leave made. Also Farage conceding when the first Remain majorities appeared, and later be like it was never in doubt. He also forgot his speech where he said if Remain won with similar percentages it'd be a long way from over. Funny double standards this man has.

Gotta love the "This war was won without a single bullet fired" speech from Farage. I'm sure Jo Cox would disagree. So tactful, so honest.

Gotta love being thrown to the back of trade queues and organizations

Gotta love increased prices on most things, related to the devaluation of pound

Gotta love Leave people acting offended that they are under criticism for their vote bullying and attitudes.

Gotta love UK's credit outlook being negative.

Gotta love how the information searches for the EU went up AFTER THE FUCKING VOTE, WHICH MEANS PEOPLE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY WERE VOTING OUT OF.

Gotta love how offended Leave people are now that their public rasism isn't tolerated and people are actually still holding them accountable for manners. Surprisingly people don't like assholes. Who would've thought!

Gotta love how it was the seniors who were the most pro-Leave. We all know that 60+ people are the most well versed in information hunting online and can make decisions based solely on pure raw facts and not be persuaded by overly patriotic speeches that have little substance other than emotional appeal.

Gotta love the sense of REGRET some Leave voters have shown

Gotta love how people can't actually make out which law was the UK's own and which was made by the EU, but thanks to propaganda every gov.t shortcoming was blamed on EU.

Gotta love how immigrants of any kind, even the successful ones are being attacked.

Gotta love how people don't even know what the difference between illegal and legal immigration really is.

Gotta love how the UK still has to adhere to free travel laws and many other EU laws, only now they have fuck-all to say in them if they still want to trade. Loss of power for little to no gain. Well done.

What the fuck even is the "independence day" from? You have been an independent nation for forever. This is like celebrating unsubscribing from a book club you were in. Whatever, it's not like anybody actually cared of this as long as they got told this nationalistic bullshit.

The funny thing is, I think EU is flawed as fuck. Outdated and overgrown. I just think the way you guys have gone off about EU is so wrong. Instead of fixing it you jump ship like a bunch of undignified cowards. If there's a silver lining to this, it is that EU has to take a serious step back and rethink its policies now. How sad the UK won't be there to feel the improvements.

I am actually very shocked of the result. I knew people were stupid, but to this amount I had no idea. Despite leading experts telling shit would suck, you wanted to be basically just "eww, niggers, lets regain our borders and build a wall".. It's one thing to be edgy and cool online but don't take your stupidity for the whole nation to bear. Have you fuckers even traveled to UK before? You need to send your passport data beforehand and subject yourself to checks. It's not like you could just waltz in even with the EU.

The sad thing is Remain knew all this shit would happen. People want to move away from the sinking ship, taking the intellectual knowledge of a modern generation away from the UK, and I say good for them to do this. Many a Remain voter are just as appalled at this clusterfuck they've literally all cried.

Not an expert but a few general observations.

1. Markets tend to fluctuate after major shit like this, like always. Give 'em a good 6 months and things will go back to normal in all likelihood.-

2. The people googling 'EU' could have been Americans or simply people attempting to educate themselves about it more. Doesn't mean they had no prior knowledge about what it is.

3. People regret votes all the time. You have like millions of people voting so you're bound to have a couple people have second thoughts.

12 hours ago, ArielMT said:

London can be a Scottish exclave.  Call the new nation Scotlond.  :V

Seriously, if England and Wales actually do go through with it, I hope Scotland can swing a decent deal with either the UK or the EU, or both.

There already is an autonomous region in London called the City of London. It's essentially a loosely-regulated zone for international financial organizations who even have their own Remembrancer in Parliament to make sure Parliament acts according to their wishes.

It's amusing to consider that with all the noise about independence and national sovereignty, there's barely a peep about the City of London.

Soon UK will be known as NSUK i.e not-so-united-kingdom with Scotland and Northern Ireland voting to leave UK

That, or dissent and disunity will rise in Scotland and Northern Ireland. According to polling maps, Wales seems fairly europhile so they'll likely stay with England

brexit-map-945.png

(Blue is for stay in EU. Red is for leaving EU)

7 hours ago, ArielMT said:

The City of London predates the metropolitan area named London by a few centuries.

Still love that naming.

7 hours ago, Snagged Cub said:

Soon UK will be known as NSUK i.e not-so-united-kingdom with Scotland and Northern Ireland voting to leave UK

The United England of England

23 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

2. The people googling 'EU' could have been Americans or simply people attempting to educate themselves about it more. Doesn't mean they had no prior knowledge about what it is.

3. People regret votes all the time. You have like millions of people voting so you're bound to have a couple people have second thoughts.

No, the stats referenced were specifically on the UK population's google searches, and the specific question to my knowledge was "What is the EU?" (hard to misinterpret that), and the proportional spike was measured after voting closed.

To your point, there are some articles coming out pointing that the way google trends works means that it was actually not a large percentage of any given country at all. Maybe under 1,000. If anything this information would actually lead to us dismissing the pro-remain voters, because the highest proportion starts in Scotland. But since the statistic is entirely contextless, it basically means nothing.

Just wanted to clear that particular talking point up. There's a lot of disinformation surrounding it.

Although frankly in my time observing this whole situation, that seems to reflect the narrative as a whole; disinformation. I've struggled to find anything Leave or Remain that isn't hot air thus far.

Also the voter regret thing is a good point, but if anything that would only underline how concerning it is that a majority so minor would lead to a decision. Simple majority clauses would have been good to consider here.

Haven't done enough research to really know what's up. That's just what I've found out thus far.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rassah said:

So, anyone here from EU having to deal with negative interest rates, capital controls such as limits on withdrawing money from banks, or limits on how much cash you can spend?

I'm definitely not and don't know anyone who is.

But I did hear George Soros has gambled on the pound and now with Brexit, he's lost a lot of money. Years back, he gambled on our currency to earn a shitload, and we had a bit of a crisis back then because of that. Call it poetic justice. EU markets/Euro actually had a bigger dip than the British stuff did, but that's not being widely reported on.
Also for those crying about the pound dropping in value, not only is it stable and going back up again, but your champagne socialist press (such as the Guardian) lied to you and failed to mention that this is the biggest single-day drop since the 80s. This is far from the lowest point we've ever been at. We're already recovering and it hasn't been a week, and there hasn't been a meaningful change in poorer communities, for better or worse. Only that more people have hangovers.

What sickens me, however, is that problems regarding the Mediterranean world are being blamed on Brexit by some press cunts in spite of those problems existing at the end of the previous decade, which have continued to exist ever since. Should these crises reach a point where they're even more intense and dangerous, they'll probably make an enemy out of Britain.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zerig said:

why is he so perfect

Watching this video and after watching some previous speeches he has made, I have to admit that Farage does have a way with words that makes him give across a sort of charm. Until he made those vitriolic comments about 'not working a day in their lives' or whatever. I just think personal comments like that are best left omitted. And I have to admit the leader or whoever's comments about UKIP were pretty funny.

51 minutes ago, Rassah said:

2776352-5018973633-tumbl.gif

Meanwhile in other, real, news:

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-brexit-london-startups-riskand-opportunities.html

The realignment is already well underway.:

"A 2015-survey by Wayra, a startup incubator, found that one third of employees in tech startups in Britain are from outside the country, and one in five comes from another EU nation."

"'If it hadn't been for Brexit, we would probably have hired more people in London,' said Damian Kimmelman, CEO of DueDil."

"DueDil landed three contracts in two days from investment-keen American equity firms that wanted to profit from the drop in the British pound and access DueDil's database of detailed information about private firms in the U.K."

Oh, and also vaguely relevant to that laughable Superstate story above:

okjX9jJ.gif

(I have no idea why this ended up so big o_0 )

• Like 2