Orlando: The Victims

Lucyfish

Just now, #00Buck said:

I guess the level or morbidity and creepiness depends on the ringtones. 

What ringtones would people at a gay club select for their phones?

Katy Perry?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wrecker said:

Just a pistol and an AR-15? What the fuck is heavily armed to you? Should he have burst through the doors with a tank while handling a bazooka? I've never seen anybody strolling around in public with an assault rifle, let alone figuring "ah, it's probably just for protection..."

Knock knock, neighbours up north here, no fucking crazy shit like that happening at least once a year.

(also not allowed to purchase and carry and automatic weapon outside of a range)

What happened was a tragedy, and I honestly think steps should be taken to avoid anything like that ever happening again. Especially considering the fucking reject that perpetrated the event had already been part of an investigation related to terrorism. The whole more guns is the solution argument which you seem to be leaning toward is fucking insane to me. How, in the fuck - when some degenerate waste of fucking skin can go out and pick up an AR-15 (a light weapon?) alongside however much ammunition - is it a solution to give everybody more guns?

uhh.. do you even understand what an AR-15 is?

I'll give you a hint: it is NOT an automatic weapon/machinegun, because those cost $30,000 or more just for the gun, and include what amounts to a six month cavity search by the ATF.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

uhh.. do you even understand what an AR-15 is?

I'll give you a hint: it is NOT an automatic weapon/machinegun, because those cost $30,000 or more just for the gun, and include what amounts to a six month cavity search by the ATF.

Really, because it takes fuck all to look up otherwise. http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/rifles/

Maybe you're right on the whole automatic thing, but a weapon that is even semi automatic with that many rounds in a clip, that's your argument? That fucking cunt there passed every legal obligation to attain what he had.

I might be pissing a few people off with my perspective on the gun laws you have, but fuck them. Fuck them and everything they have to do with your constitution. Those laws were written in right for a time far before where we are today.

Protection is one thing, enabling somebody to carry an arsenal in their closet is another.

I shouldn't say it, but I just keep getting this basic idea in my head when I read shit like that. Stay the fuck where you are, and don't come up here. I have no respect for that shit.

What is your amazing solution short of watching over 100 people get shot for no reason? There wasn't enough fucking guns? Was that it?

• Like 4

It's odd, but I was tempted to post about this on any number of forums, but reading through them, it felt like everything everyone was saying was some kind of rearrangement of various canned lines/arguments, and all of it wholly predictable. As sad as I found the incident, I didn't feel as if posting about it would help, or even provide much of a personal catharsis. From the NYT to Slate to Furry Forums, I felt as if one might just as well imagine the replies, and not really miss anything. It's as if America has grown past the point of debate, discussion and reasonable compromise, to the point of people simply yelling at each other. I have not looked at the comments here, save the last few, and don't mean to single anyone out...but does anyone else ever feel exhausted by the predictability of debates in American political issues? The boiler-plate arguments, the endless echo-chambers? I often feel a certain futility, and fatigue.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, LadyRadarEars said:

No, instead, the Canadian government oppresses the First Nations' peoples into the ground and lets the entire country burn down around its ears :V

Uh-huh, and with the amount of native friends I have that have their education paid for, their accommodations handled, investments in any business venture they want to start up alongside a nice chunk of cash for their 18th birthday with any kind of hunting/fishing right a person could fathom and some severe tax exemptions, they're fucked?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wrecker said:

Really, because it takes fuck all to look up otherwise. http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/rifles/

Maybe you're right on the whole automatic thing, but a weapon that is even semi automatic with that many rounds in a clip, that's your argument? That fucking cunt there passed every legal obligation to attain what he had.

First off, it's a magazine, not a clip. Don't try and lecture people on things you don't understand, because you'll just make yourself look stupid. Case in point, nothing about those listings says anything about NFA weaponry. That $1200 gun? Semi-auto. Pretty average price for an AR-15 pattern rifle.

36 minutes ago, Wrecker said:

What is your amazing solution short of watching over 100 people get shot for no reason? There wasn't enough fucking guns? Was that it?

Actually, no. And, I can also tell you what my solution isn't. My idea of a fix doesn't involve punishing millions of people for the actions of one lunatic.

If you can calm your tits and stop screaming at me like some pissy titty baby maybe we can actually discuss things further. I won't hold my breath, though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

It's odd, but I was tempted to post about this on any number of forums, but reading through them, it felt like everything everyone was saying was some kind of rearrangement of various canned lines/arguments, and all of it wholly predictable. As sad as I found the incident, I didn't feel as if posting about it would help, or even provide much of a personal catharsis. From the NYT to Slate to Furry Forums, I felt as if one might just as well imagine the replies, and not really miss anything. It's as if America has grown past the point of debate, discussion and reasonable compromise, to the point of people simply yelling at each other. I have not looked at the comments here, save the last few, and don't mean to single anyone out...but does anyone else ever feel exhausted by the predictability of debates in American political issues? The boiler-plate arguments, the endless echo-chambers? I often feel a certain futility, and fatigue.

It has been discussed so many times, that the only people whose minds can be changed on the subject are those who have not yet argued it before, I think. May as well put a bunch of fennecs in a box and wait for them to screech at each other, just label a bunch of them 'gun lobby', 'anti-gun lobby', 'citizens', and 'government'. No one older than twenty is going to change their minds about this subject in this day and age without someone forcing them via lead-pipe beatings.

2 minutes ago, Wrecker said:

Uh-huh, and with the amount of native friends I have that have their education paid for, their accommodations handled, investments in any business venture they want to start up alongside a nice chunk of cash for their 18th birthday with any kind of hunting/fishing right a person could fathom and some severe tax exemptions, they're fucked?

All I know about the matter is what I've read up on the history of the canadian indian act, so you might know more on the matter than I do, I just know what I know through research and my own canadian friends :V

24 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

First off, it's a magazine, not a clip. Don't try and lecture people on things you don't understand, because you'll just make yourself look stupid. Case in point, nothing about those listings says anything about NFA weaponry. That $1200 gun? Semi-auto. Pretty average price for an AR-15 pattern rifle.

Actually, no. And, I can also tell you what my solution isn't. My idea of a fix doesn't involve punishing millions of people for the actions of one lunatic.

If you can calm your tits and stop screaming at me like some pissy titty baby maybe we can actually discuss things further. I won't hold my breath, though.

I'm not screaming at anybody.

I'll tell you one thing I understand, whether anybody in that nightclub knew the difference between a magazine and a clip had fuck all to do with the fact that they got shot. They sure as shit do say that the cunt legitimately purchased whatever pistol he had on himself when he carried out the act. Haven't heard anything about the rifle, but where is it safe for you to assume it was bootlegged, or what do you think otherwise?

Anybody and their brother can google automatic weapons in the USA and find piles of listings way, way short of 30k. I just did, and if you want to argue state restrictions, I know you don't need a passport and border control to drive across a state.

I keep thinking about it @Victor-933, and this isn't the time or the place to be an asshole. I'm sorry.

What happened was every kind of fucked up, and it drives me up the wall hearing about shit like that.

I know damn well people come together and pull through terrible things that happen like this, and this one of the worst things, it's just something that shouldn't ever happen.

A lot of families and friends have lost loved ones for nothing. I couldn't imagine being in their position, if that was somebody I knew I'd be fucked right up. I wish the best for all of them.

• Like 2

In America, there are 112 guns for every 100 people.

Ignoring the obvious logistical issues with removing that many guns from that many people. (Of which there are many, and renders the argument of "REMOVE GUNS" moot.)

The vast, vast majority of people owning these firearms are doing nothing wrong, and some even depend upon them for their lively hoods.

What we can do something about is ideology. At least, we might be able to, if we weren't afraid of being labeled racist for trying to tackle the huge incompatibility that Islam has with Western nations.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cingal said:

In America, there are 112 guns for every 100 people.

Ignoring the obvious logistical issues with removing that many guns from that many people. (Of which there are many, and renders the argument of "REMOVE GUNS" moot.)

The vast, vast majority of people owning these firearms are doing nothing wrong, and some even depend upon them for their lively hoods.

What we can do something about is ideology. At least, we might be able to, if we weren't afraid of being labeled racist for trying to tackle the huge incompatibility that Islam has with Western nations.

I dunno about removing guns, but there should be a better screening process or something. A lot of these major shootings have been caused by people with legally obtained guns. Columbine is the only one I can think of at the moment that wasn't.

But guns are only part of the issue of course.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LadyRadarEars said:

I own and have read the quran. Given the nature of how it and the hadiths are, the only real way to interpret it is to be 'radical'. There isn't an analogue to the new testament wherein the main prophet/godspeaker says "The rest of it doesn't matter, not being a dick is the most important thing.", mostly due to the fact that everything is taken as 'literal truth of god', and contradictions are measured only by when they appear in the quran (with those appearing later being better.)

There will never be less than a bitter, rotten taste for me when it comes to all religions, but I don't like lies, either - especially when the second post asked you not to do this.

To most, Al-Ma'ida (5) is one of the latest suras revealed. There were only two Madinan suras revealed after. It says justice, good deeds, and forgiveness are second only to honest belief. There are no other tickets to God's favor (5:8-10). It even directly quotes the nonviolent messages of the stories Jesus, Cain and Abel, and Moses.

Hadith compiled in Mishkat al-Masabih clarify that justice and good deeds hinge on the intent of the doer to help in both this life and the next, that the most effective and holy jihad is peaceful, and that God is forgiving and may even choose to break his own rules in order to forgive.

So, in review, screw religion, but also screw lying about religion. Religion can be - regularly is - harmful, but if your only solution is wiping the truth about it Orwell-style, I do not agree with you.

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

If the slaughter of 20 children isn't going to make the America reassess its gun policies, then this isn't either. :\

I'm getting tired of watching the goddamn POTUS plead, beg, and occasionally cry every four months because he can do fuck-all at this point that would actually help.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, #00Buck said:

I guess the level or morbidity and creepiness depends on the ringtones. 

What ringtones would people at a gay club select for their phones?

Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees should count as stereotype gay club music, right?

People debating the nuanced difference between different types of weapon are losing touch with the reality, which is that 50 people still died, whether or not you regard the weapon involved as 'assault'.

To quote wiki: An assault rifle is a fully automatic selective-fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.

That is what it ist, calling anything else an assault rifle is inaccurate.

3 minutes ago, Saxon said:

You missed the point. I don't care what terminology people are using. I am concerned about the lethality, which was evidently massive.

Well if people are going to nit pick over terminology regarding sexuality and gender I think people can nit pick about gun terminology too. 

It's only fair. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saxon said:

You missed the point. I don't care what terminology people are using. I am concerned about the lethality, which was evidently massive.

Keep your statements true and accurate. If you make mistakes, learn and don't repeat them.

It's like ranting about motorbikes when the topic is trucks.  Different things.  Criticizes what you mean to criticize and not something else. Or you drift off from scientific argument to politic bullshit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

You guys are more preoccupied with the description of the weapon than what actually happened.

This is the stupidity I am pointing out.

It did terrible damage. no question. I do not follow the "guns for everyone" mantra. BUT:

Do not call call a motorbike a truck. You are not doing yourself or your argument any favor.

• Like 1

It's extremely inconsistent to believe that guns/islam are/is a problem because a super-minority of gun owners/muslims are instruments to murder/murderers but not also believe that the other of these statements reflect the truth.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I've never referred to the gun with any terminology other than 'gun'. This shit is just pretty pedantic.

re-reading, yeah you didn't. Mea culpa. But generalized, the point still stands, the difference between the weapon used( as far as i read, AR15, which according to wiki is semi)  and an assault rifle is not miniscule (to my knowledge).

1 minute ago, 6tails said:

The M-16 uses a 7.62mm round. The AR-15 uses a 5.56mm round.

Actually: How much of a difference does that make on unprotected soft targets, in a limited space like that? (Aka people without "bullet proof vest")

Eh....I'm trying my best not to make this such a political issue on any social media platform. I've dealt with some pretty close minded people from the whole Charlie Hebdo shootings on Twitter (surprising huh?)

All I can say is I hope those who did manage to survive but got shot make it through. I also hope those who are traumatized from the situation are able to cope with what they've witnessed. What's happened is very heavy.

16 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Bye guys. I'm off to get a job in construction, because of an argument on the internet.

Everybody knows I wasn't referring to a nail gun. FFS

The nail gun mass shooting is when?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HoneyPoppins said:

Eh....I'm trying my best not to make this such a political issue on any social media platform.

It is a political issue. It was a targeted attack on LGBT+ people, and shouldn't be brushed off as something that just happens.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wax said:

It is a political issue. It was a targeted attack on LGBT+ people, and shouldn't be brushed off as something that just happens.

I was talking about on social media. I'm well aware of the politics of the situation. I just don't wanna talk about this stuff on social media, 

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

My social media is full of furries. The one time I did make a comment on politics a 30 post rage ensued from feminists.

I get it bad from conservatives and liberals whenever I post anything political. I feel like I'm walking on egg shells trying not to set anyone off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

You guys are more preoccupied with the description of the weapon than what actually happened.

This is the stupidity I am pointing out.

If you are going to base your argument on facts then all your facts need to be correct. 

Wanting to be factually correct is the opposite of stupidity. 

2 hours ago, Falaffel said:

Talking about gun specifics is about as relevant as trying to guess what ring tones gays have. 

Trying to guess gay ringtones is far more entertaining though. 

• Like 2

Just now, Saxon said:

Buck, someone literally just criticised me for using the word 'gun' because they thought it might confuse people and they might wind up thinking the attacker used a glue gun.

And you actually responded to them?

That's a part of your personality that you might want to re-assess. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Rassah said:

This really sucks. He wasn't really "heavily armed" either. Just had a pistol and an AR-15.

Yeah, that's why it seems impulsive. Someone executing on a plan would be a lot more methodical. Let's be grateful that it wasn't actually planned out to use homemade explosives like the Oklahoma City Bombing and let's be even more grateful that the guy didn't know you could easily make RDX/C-4 from readily available and un-watched things.

It annoys me they are still leveraging this for political gain, obvious in bullshit like:

The shooting quickly made its way into the presidential campaign. Donald J. Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, who has accused Mr. Obama of weakness on radical Islam and has called for barring Muslim immigrants, suggested on Twitter that the president should resign.

“Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism,” he wrote. “I don’t want congrats, I want toughness & vigilance. We must be smart!”

There is political motivation for *everyone* in power to act as demagogues:

Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, released a statement saying: “We need to redouble our efforts to defend our country from threats at home and abroad. That means defeating international terror groups, working with allies and partners to go after them wherever they are, countering their attempts to recruit people here and everywhere, and hardening our defenses at home.”

To translate and paraphrase it, that reads: "We need more money diverted into economic slush funds." Nobody in politics would ever in their right mind try to stop appropriations for the "OMG TERRORIST THREAT" since they would be automatically labeled by their opposition as a terrorist, or someone who supports terrorism, which is obviously not true but you have to take the average IQ of voters into mind here as well. Most of the money going into this doesn't have a public record and as soon as the Department of Homeland Security was created it made me wonder how all of that money gets spent. The answer may be very surprising to everyone, indeed.

No matter how much they investigate Al-Qaeda, The Taliban, ISIS or Assad (and quite possibly Putin) it wouldn't have helped prevent some enraged psychopathic gunman from opening fire on a crowd such as this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

lol shut the fuck up

Christianity at least has the mindset "if you like cock you are going to hell" and not "if you do anything against our religion we will blow you the fuck up". The former generally leads to latent homosexuality and humiliation fetishes, the latter to bat shit psychopaths on a shooting rampage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoneyPoppins said:

I get it bad from conservatives and liberals whenever I post anything political. I feel like I'm walking on egg shells trying not to set anyone off.

Really? I find most people just don't care unless you post really controversial shit. It's probably the people that follow you that are the problem, rather than people who find your posts by searching.

10 minutes ago, Wax said:

Really? I find most people just don't care unless you post really controversial shit. It's probably the people that follow you that are the problem, rather than people who find your posts by searching.

Well yeah, the people following you will usually share the same interests and therefore agree on most things you post. What is really the point of posting then, if you are simply telling them what they already know? There is also the fact that different people take different things that are said to different personal levels. Why anyone takes some random person's opinion personally is beyond me, but I don't, there's a reason for that and emotions aren't rational anyway.

1 hour ago, HoneyPoppins said:

But that's when you just tell them to stop being a bitch and continue to say what you want. Not caring if you offend people makes you as free as can be

7 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Well yeah, the people following you will usually share the same interests and therefore agree on most things you post.

Twitter has a feature for searching for tweets, and extremely controversial ones blow up because random people RT it and reply to it with rebuttals.

13 hours ago, Rassah said:

Have you seen US history in 1800's in the West? Honestly, with new laws passed ever year, this country has the strictest gun laws in its history.

That's like saying that, looking at the Tsardom and the Nomenklatura, Russia has the most democratic government of its history. It's technically true in that the Putin regime is closer to democracy than the other two, without being actually democratic.

Just like American gun laws are at its strictest, without being strict enough to actually save the lives of school children, Planned Parenthood personnel and clubgoers.