Arts in Progress: The General WIPs sharethread

Zydala

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

wolf_sketch13.png

wolf_sketch12.png

I have a lot of space left in this canvas, and am not sure whether to extend this into a very big painting. I am not sure that expending all of this effort would be worthwhile though.

Idunno, I'd like to see a feral wolf standing on a rock overlooking a river or something but thats just my perception of it.

Ive seen you do abstract backgrounds with just the face portrait those look cool, too

I really like the face in this one by the way, its got very unusual blues and swirly patterns almost like an Aussie Cattle dog.

7 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Idunno, I'd like to see a feral wolf standing on a rock overlooking a river or something but thats just my perception of it.

Ive seen you do abstract backgrounds with just the face portrait those look cool, too

I really like the face in this one by the way, its got very unusual blues and swirly patterns almost like an Aussie Cattle dog.

I think this is a good idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

Do you want any red lines?

I did end up finishing it but I'd like to see what your input is and what I should have done, would be interesting (ended up pulling the lower leg closer to the thigh, and the right leg touching the left leg instead of being spaced out that weird friggin way)

20170314_165852.png

basically this, I got lazy after all that efforr once the form was more or less done so it isnt good, but I liked parts of it

2 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I did end up finishing it but I'd like to see what your input is and what I should have done, would be interesting (ended up pulling the lower leg closer to the thigh, and the right leg touching the left leg instead of being spaced out that weird friggin way)

Hide contents

20170314_165852.png

basically this, I got lazy after all that efforr once the form was more or less done so it isnt good, but I liked parts of it

Okay I've knocked up a little sketch to help.

blue_line_sketch.png

I think the first important point (1) is to make sure that the orientation of the body and the legs are matching; in your image the feet are angled towards the viewer, whereas the bottom and trunk are viewed laterally.

(2) Make sure there is a sense of placement in the space; in this case it is not clear in the left image whether the knees are in contact with the ground or not, or if the feet are hanging off the end of a ledge. I have used perspective lines in order to place the knees and feet in the space, so that there is a sense that the figure is supporting itself; bending the toes emphasises this (3). (although my paws are really shitty compared to yours; I think the paw pads are the strongest part of your image).

I think it can also be useful to provide some lines indicating where the rest of the body should be, and it's okay just to let them fade off.
It's also useful to give the limbs a little bit of curviness; so at the knee the calf muscle should be a curve that truncates the thigh. The curve of the bottom should also be proud of the rest of the thigh; butts stick out.

I hope that can provide some help.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Saxon said:

Yeah, thank you very much! I dont often notice until later when something in the orientation is off. Also regarding the butt and the thigh I always assumed for some reason the thick part of the thigh from a side view is the butt and hadnt realized I should pronounce it more in drawing. I also might have to remember to start using placement lined if it helps. I'll probably have to save those for reference later. 

tenor.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Starting on a story based around the Battle of the Bulwark from my Hadean universe.

Savara Tel'Kadiir jerked awake, wrenched from her mid-shift nap by the shrill chirping of an alarm. Blinking several times against the harsh glare of the overhead lights, she wiped the drool from the corner of her mouth and from the desk she was sleeping at, then yawned widely and lazily glanced around at the otherwise unoccupied Platform Operations Center to locate the source of that infernal noise. Her ear flicked as she realized it was the communications alarm, and after a puzzled moment, she rolled her chair across the unkempt POC to one of the consoles. The screen flickered to life as her ID badge entered authentication range, showing an encoded comms request from... No, that couldn't be right. Savara reached over and stabbed a flashing red button with her finger, silencing that shrieking alarm, before rubbing her face and squinting closely at the screen.

<03:29:36> 0xc0F0AD134.000003A1.SF-FORCECOM.MIL :: !!! PRIORITY ONE !!! :: AWAITING CONNECTION ACCEPTANCE

The string of text stared back at Savara as her blood froze. Though she didn't want to believe it, she instantly recognized the sender's address -- or rather, the latter half -- as military traffic; it HAD to be about Them. Taking a deep breath to steady her nerves, Savara slipped on her headset before dutifully entering the authorization and acceptance commands. Almost immediately afterwards the headset crackled to life, filled with the authoritative, measured voice of a StarForce communications officer: "Empire Actual to AstroDyne 17 Control. Request docking permission, one Class Four shuttlecraft." It took Savara a moment to remember proper communications protocol, before she slowly responded, the uncertainty readily apparent in her voice. "AstroDyne 17 Control responding. Stand by Empire Actual, let me see what docks are available for that classification. Over." "Empire Actual, confirmed, over." She took a moment to glance over one of the many yellowed sheets taped around the comm station: a list of military callsigns, some of which were sloppily crossed out. Empire Actual -- primary command carrier for the entire Third Fleet. Yeah, this was about Them, no doubt about it.

Remembering that there were a lot very highly-paid and highly-impatient military personnel waiting on her, Savara slipped off the headset and slid over to another console, quietly bemoaning the fact that third shift always left her here alone for hours at a time, with hardly anything to do outside of the very rare instance of a freighter showing up way too late. Typing up several short commands and scrolling through a few menus, Savara found an open dock rated for a Class Four craft and tagged it for immediate occupation. Somewhere several hundred meters away a klaxon began blaring, jolting the docking crew awake at their stations; shortly thereafter the main hangar began its depressurization cycle. Savara made her way back over to the comms console and slipped the headset back on, keying the mic. "AstroDyne 17 Control to Empire Actual, docking clearance is granted for Bay Fourteen. Over." The reply came immediately, which left Savara vaguely jealous of the fully-staffed CIC of that carrier. "Empire Actual, Bay Fourteen confirmed. Out." Savara then switched gears, skimmed over several of the notes plastered everywhere until she found a direct line, switched over the comm station, and called up the chief control officer.

Obviously still half-asleep and wearing a disheveled, stained jumpsuit, CCO Daalus Kar'Selim must have looked very unimpressive to the gaggle of straight-laced StarForce officers that were awaiting him in Conference Room 3A. The six officers, though, seemed just as emotionless as the rest of the war machine, their unreadable faces shadowed by wide-brimmed caps and their bodies cloaked in crisp grey overcoats that looked more like a plastic shell than any sort of comfortable clothing, each one standing motionless with hands clasped behind their backs. They almost looked like mannequins until one of them spoke up -- evidently the highest-ranking among them, from all the medals and stars plastered across his broad chest. "I take it you're Daalus Kar'Selim?" The CCO nodded in affirmative, "Yes, sir." He could see the officer's eyes dart about ever so slightly, sizing him up, before the Hadean spoke. "Excellent. I am Fleet Commandant So'Tasa Gu'Tanoth. You're no doubt wondering what this is all about. I'll explain what I can, but nothing leaves this room. Understood?" Daalus felt his blood run cold. He recognized that name instantly: the Fleet Commandant had just recently been promoted to that position, after displaying uncommon valor at the Battle of Keldar's Bounty six months ago, instantly confirming his suspicions. Daalus pushed aside his worries and nodded slowly, "Yes, sir." "Excellent. Director?" He nodded curtly to a female compatriot, who produced a sheaf of paper and a datapad, striding forward and laying them on the table in front of Gu'Tanoth. The Fleet Commandant gestured again, this time to Daalus -- a curt flick of the wrist, beckoning him over; "Come." Daalus found himself obeying the command before he had even fully comprehended it, sauntering over to the table and surveying the information laid out.

"What you see here are our projections for the next week," explained the Fleet Commandant, his gaze drifting over the sheets in front of them, each one stamped 'SPECIAL ACCESS' and covered in miniscule writing and diagrams. "Based on previous intelligence we expect the alien fleet to breach the termination shock of Peace River within four days. It's no secret that the war has not been going well for us. Fleet strength is down thirty percent. We cannot continue our present course of action; before long there won't be any more planets to fall back to." Gu'Tanoth's gaze flitted to Daalus as if expecting a response, which was slowly proffered, "But fighting like you have been isn't an option either..." There was an almost imperceptible twitch at the corner of the Fleet Commandant's mouth before he spoke again, "Precisely. The operative term being, 'like we have been'." He leaned over and pushed aside some papers, revealing a detailed map covered in scribbles and notes; Daalus recognized it as a map of Peace River, "I can't help but notice there are a lot of notes regarding... ...mining equipment, sir." Gu'Tanoth nodded, probably the most obvious display of emotion Daalus had seen from the Fleet Commandant since his arrival, "That is precisely why we are here, Daalus. To put it bluntly, we need your help."

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...