The universe is basically fucked even if you do something 'good'.

AshleyAshes

Good and bad situations are often temporary. Homelessness and wealth are situations, not inherent characteristics of a person. Envy is wasted energy. Patience and hard work are virtues. Focus on them instead, and remember that we're all in the same boat. Help others when you can, but don't beat yourself up if there isn't much you can do. One's situation may suck now, but that doesn't mean it will suck 5 months or 5 years from now. Likewise, the opposite is true. Things may be going great today, but there's no guarantee that there won't be tough times ahead. That's the nature of life. One snapshot in time doesn't tell the whole story. When you feel that things are going badly or that life is unfair, count your blessings and keep moving forward.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FlynnCoyote said:

I had just under eight grand in my bank once, then my car died and I was forced to upheave it all to buy the first affordable replacement I could.I still haven't made it all back, and this was three and a half years ago. Eight grand is definitely a colossal fuckton of money for the vast majority of us and it shows how clueless you can be to not realize this.

So, it's not a fuckton on money, but money you can actually save up over time, and be willing to spend on a car... I wouldn't just blow eight grand on a single purchase myself (why I'm paying in smaller payments).

I don't know, I'm seeing all these people driving around in $16,000 to $35,000 cars all over the place, so maybe it's just the few of you guys with problems? Cause, seriously, where I live, buying a car for $8,000 isn't some rich people thing.

Maybe I should just stick to bragging about making $50 am hour, start posts about how I'm helping homeless so people like me more, and buy random strangers $50 gift cards to junk food restaurants. Then again, I don't even make $50 an hour.

19 minutes ago, Rassah said:

So, it's not a fuckton on money, but money you can actually save up over time, and be willing to spend on a car... I wouldn't just blow eight grand on a single purchase myself (why I'm paying in smaller payments).

I don't know, I'm seeing all these people driving around in $16,000 to $35,000 cars all over the place, so maybe it's just the few of you guys with problems? Cause, seriously, where I live, buying a car for $8,000 isn't some rich people thing.

Maybe I should just stick to bragging about making $50 am hour, start posts about how I'm helping homeless so people like me more, and buy random strangers $50 gift cards to junk food restaurants. Then again, I don't even make $50 an hour.

Those people more than likely lease.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rassah said:

It's not like yearly salary or lottery money, no, but it's still a nice chunk of money, at least in the way you initially put it. You just made it seem like you were just able to easily throw $8k at buying an airplane. No installments, just all at once. That's why I was kind of like "wha?".

46 minutes ago, Rassah said:

If I had that option, I'd have taken it. Unfortunately I was still paying off a loan for another expense and with my paygrade I can't really afford to be making multiple repayments each week. After the cost of living, my wages really don't stretch that far. Expending my savings on a second hand car to avoid repayments that would send me into overdraft really was my only option at the time. Personally I think my skillset requiring technical college to acquire would put my pay at least a little bit higher than the box packers a few factories down, but apparently the universe really does suck.

So I'm gonna stick to what I said, yes eight grand is a fuckton of money.

21 hours ago, Toshabi said:

Its like this.

Option A:

I saw a homeless person on my way to work today. They looked hungry so I got them food. They wouldn't accept it so I got them a McDonalds Gift card instead. It sucks because no matter what you do, they'll still be homeless the next day.

Or Option B:

I saw a homeless person on my way to work today. I offered to buy thek food, but they wouldn't take it, so I gave them a $50 gift card. Even though imma make that cash back in the first hour of my 50/ hour job, I felt bad because while I'm making a lot of money, that person isn't, and they're homeless while I have to go home and just be depressed about how much money I make ._.

I think AshleyAshes is more pointing out the level of disparity between people's lives using personal experiences, not bragging about having money and/or being sad about having money on hand. 

You can make a point about complaining about something while being able to do something about it, but it may not necessarily be within AshelyAshes best interest to "sell all that stuff and go work somewhere to help those in need". Its an oversimplification of a larger problem of wealth disparity being pointed out. A kind of wishful thinking that money were distributed throughout the world more evenly, rather than having poor people on the streets while people around them are living a large portion better. 

General wealth disparity is its own fair topic for discussion.

...Forgive me, I just don't like how people try so hard to find a way to construe people as being bad and/or doing/saying something immoral. Most people don't try to be terrible people. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

I think AshleyAshes is more pointing out the level of disparity between people's lives using personal experiences, not bragging about having money and/or being sad about having money on hand. 

You can make a point about complaining about something while being able to do something about it, but it may not necessarily be within AshelyAshes best interest to "sell all that stuff and go work somewhere to help those in need". Its an oversimplification of a larger problem of wealth disparity being pointed out. A kind of wishful thinking that money were distributed throughout the world more evenly, rather than having poor people on the streets while people around them are living a large portion better. 

General wealth disparity is its own fair topic for discussion.

...Forgive me, I just don't like how people try so hard to find a way to construe people as being bad and/or doing/saying something immoral. Most people don't try to be terrible people. 

My post is a gross overexageration to match the level of liberal bleed-heart in the OP while advertising their pompous situation, which he is commonly known for doing in all his posting.

19 hours ago, Rassah said:

I only meant it as that he's someone I trust implicitly, enough to do something like that with. The plane was only $16k, split two ways, so only $8k from each of us. It's not a big "I'm rich!" deal. Sorry if it came out that way.

Unless $8,000 is some colossal fuckton of money to you guys. I don't know.

With 8K, I could pay off some hospital bills from when I broke my leg and then some. 
It may not be a fuckton, but to others it's enough to fix some problems. 

In case you're wondering, this is the clunker junk I bought with my friend.

zoObwla.jpg

She flies fine, but looks trashy, and is even worse inside 

J7Cqcag.jpg

BMtmCMU.jpg

I always dreamed of having my own airplane, but sometimes even when dreams are too expensive, you just have to figure out how to get them done anyway, even if you settle for something a bit less. In this case I bought a plane for $8,000, when a new one costs at least $120,000, and just need to put a lot of work into cleaning and fixing it up, and lose a few evenings and weekends to earn extra money driving to help pay it off.

As for the topic of income inequality, fortunately that has been dropping considerably around the world, and life quality in general has been greatly improving, even if people think otherwise or feel it's not good enough for them yet. People are helping people, and other people are inventing and working on things that will make life awesome for everyone. So don't be so pessimistic.

• Like 4

Eh, I don't know what goes on in Canadia, but in America at least, you won't find many people going hungry. In Seattle, I know where to get enough free meals I could eat all I want and Washington State gives me about $200 on my EBT card. The people telling you they are hungry and asking you for change are going to save it for things they can't just get for free, like cigarettes, drugs and booze.

I wouldn't say the lower economic classes hate the wealthy, if anything you see more of the opposite.  They may be jealous of what others have, but you have to remember things like jealously and greed are a built-in part of humanity. Just yesterday for example, there was someone being reprimanded by another homeless person for smoking too many crack rocks and becoming broke. Even though money isn't necessary for survival, people have a need for it, in order to thrive.

There are day labor places here that seem to cater to the drug addicts, the alcoholics and the like, who could never hold down a full time job given their habits. I went to one and I wanted there from 5am-10am and never got sent out. I did two more times those following days before I said "fuck that". I was wasting my time and not even getting paid. Many people do, and that probably says something right there .

The stigma that the homeless are really just lazy carries on to these circles, too. Aside from the chronically homeless, most find some way to earn cash aside from just begging. They might like crack rocks too much, they might be psychotic, they might have anger problems or something else that doesn't translate too well on the job. The biggest problem though, is their tendency to give up due to low self esteem. Or maybe they simply aren't able to come up with a plan and execute on it. From my experience, the demotivating effect of low self esteem is much more significant than the motivation one has working towards a goal they don't feel they could ever reach.

The silly thing is it's all just a big mindfuck. The catch-22 is they won't become motivated unless their situation (or internal perception of it) starts to radically change. That won't happen unless they are motivated, at least enough to work on their goal.

So the answer is really quite ironic. I think I helped this one boy and maybe a few others by changing their perception of things and realizing that money is means to an end, not something that defines someone. People will always want more, but it is downward spiral of low self image and depression that is most to blame for getting people stuck in these situations 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Eh, I don't know what goes on in Canadia, but in America at least, you won't find many people going hungry. In Seattle, I know where to get enough free meals I could eat all I want and Washington State gives me about $200 on my EBT card. The people telling you they are hungry and asking you for change are going to save it for things they can't just get for free, like cigarettes, drugs and booze.

I wouldn't say the lower economic classes hate the wealthy, if anything you see more of the opposite.  They may be jealous of what others have, but you have to remember things like jealously and greed are a built-in part of humanity. Just yesterday for example, there was someone being reprimanded by another homeless person for smoking too many crack rocks and becoming broke. Even though money isn't necessary for survival, people have a need for it, in order to thrive.

There are day labor places here that seem to cater to the drug addicts, the alcoholics and the like, who could never hold down a full time job given their habits. I went to one and I wanted there from 5am-10am and never got sent out. I did two more times those following days before I said "fuck that". I was wasting my time and not even getting paid. Many people do, and that probably says something right there .

The stigma that the homeless are really just lazy carries on to these circles, too. Aside from the chronically homeless, most find some way to earn cash aside from just begging. They might like crack rocks too much, they might be psychotic, they might have anger problems or something else that doesn't translate too well on the job. The biggest problem though, is their tendency to give up due to low self esteem. Or maybe they simply aren't able to come up with a plan and execute on it. From my experience, the demotivating effect of low self esteem is much more significant than the motivation one has working towards a goal they don't feel they could ever reach.

The silly thing is it's all just a big mindfuck. The catch-22 is they won't become motivated unless their situation (or internal perception of it) starts to radically change. That won't happen unless they are motivated, at least enough to work on their goal.

So the answer is really quite ironic. I think I helped this one boy and maybe a few others by changing their perception of things and realizing that money is means to an end, not something that defines someone. People will always want more, but it is downward spiral of low self image and depression that is most to blame for getting people stuck in these situations 

nah they're just lazy leeches

they just need to get off their ass and pull themselves up by their bootstraps and become a family man :^)

this post is a joke btw, in case you didn't figure that out

On 05/07/2016 at 5:59 AM, Rassah said:

The plane was only $16k, split two ways, so only $8k from each of us. It's not a big "I'm rich!" deal. Sorry if it came out that way.

This is interesting to me, I see "family cars" with price ranges like that on TV ads all the time in the pub.

tell me more about this plane

its not a jumbo jet or anything right

do you fly it

where the shit do you keep it anyway

edit: nvm, saw the post on the second page

Personally, too. I think I would teach the homeless person the value in hard work and provide it with four quarters to try and win a big mac in the catch a quarter game. I would at least be there to provide moral support while he/she/Transgender learns the value of hard work in attempting to obtain the morsel. 

• Like 1

I would not feel bad for the fact of the different positions, there will always be people with money and those that do not have it. You just have to push forward in life, maybe even work towards getting homeless people (That want to, not the ones that are there by choice) off the streets and into homes. The more you know who you are and know what you want, the less things will upset you.

• Like 2

I know this isn't going to make anyone like me any more around here, but seriously, you guys really are ripping into Ashley and Rassah quite a bit. Yea, I know they bring it on themselves at times, but geez.

I don't blame Ashley for feeling bad that she has a relatively comfortable life while other people's lives suck. I don't see it as bragging about how much she makes but more feeling bad for others. Unfortunately that's the way the world works... some people have it better than others. But every little gesture can help. Even just buying food for them. Or giving them money. And well, if they take off with the money and buy drugs, that's up to them. You tried your best.

As for Rassah's posts, yea, $8000 is quite a bit. Not necessarily a fortune, but a lot for those not making much. Some people's salaries are only $8000 a year. Still, a $16000 plane is cheap, as shown in the photos above. A brand new two seater plane is usually in the hundreds of thousands. A new small business jet is millions of dollars. If you're only paying $16000 then you're not going to get much (I would expect a new ultralight to cost that much). And he did say he was doing a payment plan on it.

And remember, modern day SUVs (not the luxury ones, the regular ones) go for $20-40k nowadays. $16k for a plane is CHEAP.

My mother's ex boyfriend had a large catamaran sailboat. I think it cost him $15000. It was a 1980s model and needed extensive work before it was seaworthy, and he had to sail it from Florida to Lake Erie where he has it stored. It was certainly not shiny or new or pretty, and it showed its age. And my mom's ex is a high school SCHOOLTEACHER. Not exactly a high-paying profession. I actually wish she hadn't dumped him, that boat was pretty fun.

On 7/5/2016 at 0:59 AM, Rassah said:

That's nearly exactly how much money I made last year, and is the most money I've ever made in my entire life. Makes you want to do shady bitcoin shit. 

@AshleyAshes I'm aware that I can't do a whole lot to assuage any guilt you might feel over seeing so many people in such an awful situation but

speaking as someone who is currently living on Ontario Works and whatever money I can get from sex stuff

that 50$ is a lot of money to someone who is in my kind of situation. If she's on ontario works like I am then she receives just barely enough to cover food costs for the month, giving her a 50$ giftcard means she can spend some of her OW money on any of her other needs. Tampons/pads, clothing, shoes

like... you did a wonderful thing for someone. I know it might feel like bailing out a sinking ship with a teaspoon, but it really does mean so much at least to that one person

@Brazen yeah that's exactly 800 more than I get to live on in a single year

without taking into account the "generous donations of others" which I do not document for obvious reasons

idk like he can do what he wants with his money I guess but damn I really wish I had a spare 8000 that I could just... have

3 hours ago, Brazen said:

That's nearly exactly how much money I made last year, and is the most money I've ever made in my entire life. Makes you want to do shady bitcoin shit. 

You get rich by giving as many people as possible what they want most, not by doing shady things. Maybe what you do isn't really appreciated or needed by people, and you should figure out what people in your area want and do that instead. Of course, that's not easy to figure out or accomplish, and takes a lot of work, a bit of luck, and willingness to take risks and fail often, and unfortunately most people don't even try. In my case I'm doing legit bitcoin shit that helps a whole lot of people, not shady bitcoin shit.

This thread is a cloud of pettiness with a silver lining of good will towards others.

People make what they do because they work for it. And before anyone whines about privilege and opportunity. These are not guarantees for success. Because anything can change and put those people who are well off into a destitute position. 

I agree with @Crazy Lee to an extent. @AshleyAshes did a nice thing for someone, with no ulterior motives. What she makes per hour doesn't change that fact. @Rassah he can spend his money however he feels like. If he earned it, let him have his dream. 

As for me, I'm not wealthy and I don't claim to be a good person. I help those I can, and spend my money as I please.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Enigma said:

What she makes per hour doesn't change that fact.

Don't normally earn that, it was just a bonus program for working the weekends while urgent projects at the company were addressed.  Even worked Canada Day which resulted in being paid 2.73x my regular rate for that day,  I've certainly made a lot of MONEY in the last two months but it's a result of working 72hr weeks for the last two months straight.  Working that many hours, after over time and weekend bonus incentives does tend to result in a temporarily high income, but ya'll grossly over estimating the situation.  And it was all at the cost of near total loss of time for friends and loved ones or even just relaxing.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Don't normally earn that, it was just a bonus program for working the weekends while urgent projects at the company were addressed.  Even worked Canada Day which resulted in being paid 2.73x my regular rate for that day,  I've certainly made a lot of MONEY in the last two months but it's a result of working 72hr weeks for the last two months straight.  Working that many hours, after over time and weekend bonus incentives does tend to result in a temporarily high income, but ya'll grossly over estimating the situation.

I don't care.

You're a good person. That's the important thing.

• 3 months later...

If you want to help a homeless or wretchedly poor person, give them directly what they need. A bag of bread, or vouchers for real basic need products are just fine. It's a short term boost for a potentially long term problem, but it's still better than giving nothing. 

By giving a homeless person some money, you risk that money being spent

1) to feed their addictions, such as smoking

2) on narcotics and/or alcohol so that they can escape their miserable reality

3) their criminal "superiors" who extort them (particularly true for refugees and illegal immigrants). This in return would make their situation worse. 

4) by giving a homeless person money, that said person is more prone to be robbed by street gangs and/or other criminals

Spend that money by donating it to reputable (preferably local) charities so that they can upkeep their shelters and services for the homeless, which ultimately are a lot better (albeit not a perfect solution) to help people out of the situation of being homeless.

Also, most homeless people you see on the street are new to being on street and the chances are decent it's their first time, considering most of the homeless people (at least in developed countries) used to have a home. They don't usually know better. A non-materialistic and a great way to directly help a homeless person is to ask if they need help with sheltering and redirect them to a local shelter and be in contact with local agencies that deal with the homeless people.  

After all, seeking and doing paid work is a lot easier when your stomach is not empty and you've had a good night of sleep on a soft bed instead of a hard flat surface. 

To take applying for a job one step further, you could donate good clothes and hygiene products to homeless or to organizations that distribute those to homeless or if you're in an appropriate position, even offer them a job by yourself

And Ashley, you're probably not reading this since this thread is older than my grandpa, but you helped, which is good. You can't save everyone, that would be delusional. But you cheered up someone's day. 

If each wealthy person took care of just one less fortunate person who does not already have someone who can and will take care of them, the world would be a lot better place