Rant: Digital Painting, am I right?

Ratmomma

DIGITAL PAINTING, AM I RIGHT?!

ALRIGHT YOU LOT OF FORUM BROWSING WANKERS, SIT THERE AND READ MY CAPS LOCK BITCHING ABOUT DIGITAL PAINTING, ARTFULLY PRESENTED IN /B/ FORMAT BECAUSE I CAN.

>BE ME, BFA IN FINE ART ILLUSTRATION BESTOWED UPON ME IN 2013

>p good with a traditional painting set up

>feels gr8 man

>BE ME NOW

>PRACTICING DIGITAL ART ACROSS SEVERAL DIFFERENT PROGRAMS SINCE 2010.

>eh, I'm better than I was.

>TODAY I ATTEMPT AGAIN THE WITCHCRAFT OF DIGITAL PAINTING

>applies traditional knowledge to what I've learned for digital media

>4hrs later this is me:

Epic_raeg_face.thumb.gif.aee36ef3773a39b

It looks like shit and I'm pissed off about it, particularly because I've failed full force on an image of my eldest rattie, Rose, and I feel like an ass because of it.

WHY CAN'T I GET THIS SHIT DOWN?! 8(

• Like 1

I'm currently in good ol' art college, and I was an illustration major at first before I switched to graphic design since I wanted a more stable job setting. When I was frosh, we had paintin' classes and I was bomb at oil painting.

The difference between digital painting and traditional painting is that you don't feel the pressure of the medium against the tooth of the canvas or paper. Especially when folks try to recreate the oil texture in photoshop. You and I remember and know what it feels to paint and mix and do different strokes with the brush in traditional settings, but in digital artwork it takes away nearly everything that comes with the paint except the visual element.

So instead of trying to paint digitally approaching it traditionally, I just paint digitally. Meaning I focus on the pressure I put down on my wacom, and the way it reacts on the screen, and go from there.

Story's different on a cintiq, though. 

It's because you're a lineart fag and you can't think with colour stains.

And you're trying to do that the wrong way. Unless you're unexceptionally talented it will take you a lot of time working on the basics. But after you get the basics, painting becomes nothing else than a joke. Myself, trying to understand the idea of digital painting took me 4 months of major artist breakdown.

Lemon, what pressure? Just make a custom brush to fit your needs and ta-ta.

Edited by Ayattar

Digital and traditional are two completely different mediums. You can't be good at one and expect the other to come naturally just because you have art foundations.

It's like an artist who works primarily in graphite and charcoal picking up watercolors for the first time, expecting to be good at it just because they know how to draw well.

Also, in all seriousness, who pays for art college anymore? I can understand animation or design, but for fancy smancy art? Yuck! 

Agreed. As much as art college helps, it also kills the creativity, making you think in standarised way. At least several times I kicked graduates' asses only because I'm an autodidact pleb, my art being less refined but more innovative and original.

Also, it's useless for design as well. You can learn how to vector in one week by your own. And web design is even easier.

Can't tell about animation because I don't animate.

Edited by Ayattar

Its super easy to call things easy when you don't do 'em. My job isn't just about vectoring shapes and moving them around. 

Anyways, a lot of art colleges have shit ways to teach students. I'm thankful [my school] lets you run wild. All of my profs gives you a project goal, the deliverables due, and then after that you run crazy. No one can tell who did what. It's pretty great to have the display walls of sophomore, junior and senior artwork to be indistinguishable. 

I'm weird and think digital feels way nicer than traditional. I mean, I've always had a throbbing boner for computers, and never liked getting my hands dirty. So it makes some sense.

Something I enjoy with traditional though would be having your draw in your hands right away, without needing to go through printing or anything like that.

• Like 1

Going digital from traditional really takes some getting to used to. I used to curse digital arting back when I started.  And like ayattar said, custom brushes are quite useful to suit yer needs. I'm still looking to build a custom brush I'm comfortable using. 

@lemon Also, try using art programs that have synthetic paint mixing like Sai. It's a good tool when yer trying to mix colors.

Edited by yell0wf0x
  • Like 1

Going digital from traditional really takes some getting to used to. I used to curse digital arting back when I started.  And like ayattar said, custom brushes are quite useful to suit yer needs. I'm still looking to build a custom brush I'm comfortable using. 

At the very moment I have 15 brushes I'm using all the time and over 100 that I'm using from time to time, continously adding new ones.

Initially it was a real pain in the ass, but after some time I learned how to predict their behaviour. At the very moment I can create brushes, which give desired effects, on the spot. As for building your own custom brushes, it's worth starting with tutorials and/or downloading brush presets, then analyzing them.

And I never cursed digital art, because I never needed to switch from the traditional media. I was always digging charcoal and graphite (pencil), which are very similar to lineart-basing and inking techniques, ignoring other traditional media. I'm jet to master digital painting tho, because I still need to use sketches and/or supportive linearts in getting my paintings right and refining the edges.

Edited by Ayattar

Agreed. As much as art college helps, it also kills the creativity, making you think in standarised way. At least several times I kicked graduates' asses only because I'm an autodidact pleb, my art being less refined but more innovative and original.

Also, it's useless for design as well. You can learn how to vector in one week by your own. And web design is even easier.

Can't tell about animation because I don't animate.

I wanna say its more about teaching the programs than anything. Either or, the professors taught me more along the lines of inDesign, Illistraitor and photoshop. Granted, it didn't take them long to teach us those programs. The projects, however, were pretty nice at my college. They were geared towards portfolio preperation than anything.

As for animation, again, its been more of learning the software, however, with maya and zbrush, it seems endless as to what you can learn and do with the programs.

It's because you're a lineart fag and you can't think with colour stains.

And you're trying to do that the wrong way. Unless you're unexceptionally talented it will take you a lot of time working on the basics. But after you get the basics, painting becomes nothing else than a joke. Myself, trying to understand the idea of digital painting took me 4 months of major artist breakdown.

Lemon, what pressure? Just make a custom brush to fit your needs and ta-ta.

Yeahhhh I do have a huge hard on for sick line art.. 8)

I just feel like I'm getting nowhere with it, even though I've been working at it for fuckin' years now.