What is a furry "lifestyle" anyway?

Calemeyr

16 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

naw you'd just look like a sperg

I don't care who you are, you CANNOT pull of wearing a tail or something in public. Ears maybe if it's like attached to a beanie or something, but never a tail.

Eh. I don't think an absolute works for this, even if the amount of people who can't make it work is super high.

Also goes back to context is key. Do it at a con? Sure. Even if you look silly, well so does everyone else.

I do think ears are easier to pull off though. Saw a girl sporting a pair at a concert once and thought she looked pretty cute in them. She was cute without em though too, so there's that.

People who have nothing good going for them outside of the fandom tend to incorporate foredoom to make their lives seem less mundane. I guess I am kind of in-between on it. On one hand, they aren't hurting anyone and decided to take their hobby to the next level. On the other hand, they are obnoxious about their "lifestyle" choice with other furries who may not take the fandom seriously as they take it. They can also be easily offended when you talk about some of the fandom's negative aspects. 

• Like 7

It's a good question. I've hovered around outskirts of the fandom for about 15 years now, and I still don't have an answer for what a lifestyler is beyond an extreme fan. Furry characters generally live human lifestyles, after all, and what constitutes a furry lifestyle to one fan may mean something else to another. How one engages with the fandom can be highly personal. No two furs are exactly alike.

Okay a lifestyler, in my opinion anyway I guess, is someone who tends to have furry stuff influence a massive portion of their time, spending and actions.

Constantly wearing really overt stuff like a tail, big ears or a fursuit, jumping at every con/meet you see, buying massive amounts of commissions, stuff like that. I mean if you spend a lot of time posting on the forums or browsing FA, that doesn't make you a lifestyler. You still do other things. It's just a popular pass time. 

Lifestylers are people who have made it one of their only pasts times.

A furry lifestyler is the kind of person who gets offended when you ask them if a kitsune fursuit can have be made to have a variable number of tails. Sounds great in a technical sense, portray the character through multiple stages of life, perhaps other characters.

But to the therian lifestyler, such a question is beyond blasphemy. Idle interest in their theriotype is shameful, and you must respect their (likely completly incorrect and appropriated) understanding of their "spirit animal" named Sasuke Musashi, and how they have magic powers and that their fursuit is like a sacred Native Anerican headdress. :/

A fursuit is a fitted jumble of extruded petroleum-based fiber and foam. It's as spiritual as a car. Yes, there is craftsmenship behind it, but it's not a katana or a rosary or a buddha statue. It's a costume. But then they'll say "but it's highly personal, you wouldn't understand".

I do, but you shouldn't be attached to material possessions either. And this fursona business is odd. Why do you need a fursuit to "become" your fursona? Is this some sort of hedonistic escapism or something? I though suits were for entertaining others, not becoming your new age spirit totem tulpa wolf.

But yes, if you dress like a cartoon rabbit and say you take it seriously because "omg fursona", I will laugh at you. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Calemeyr said:

A furry lifestyler is the kind of person who gets offended when you ask them if a kitsune fursuit can have be made to have a variable number of tails. Sounds great in a technical sense, portray the character through multiple stages of life, perhaps other characters.

But to the therian lifestyler, such a question is beyond blasphemy. Idle interest in their theriotype is shameful, and you must respect their (likely completly incorrect and appropriated) understanding of their "spirit animal" named Sasuke Musashi, and how they have magic powers and that their fursuit is like a sacred Native Anerican headdress. :/

A fursuit is a fitted jumble of extruded petroleum-based fiber and foam. It's as spiritual as a car. Yes, there is craftsmenship behind it, but it's not a katana or a rosary or a buddha statue. It's a costume. But then they'll say "but it's highly personal, you wouldn't understand".

I do, but you shouldn't be attached to material possessions either. And this fursona business is odd. Why do you need a fursuit to "become" your fursona? Is this some sort of hedonistic escapism or something? I though suits were for entertaining others, not becoming your new age spirit totem tulpa wolf.

But yes, if you dress like a cartoon rabbit and say you take it seriously because "omg fursona", I will laugh at you. 

Nah man you don't understand. I'm actually a green rat thing irl, but god hates me so they made me like a person or something and that's a load of bullshit.

This isn't the first case of discrimination I've faced about this. I once went to my local college's LGBT club in my suit, but they kicked me out because the fucking establishment REFUSES to accept my TRUE identity!

IT'S A CULTURE, NOT A COSTUME CIS SCUM!!!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2016 at 10:57 PM, Calemeyr said:

I think a lot of these furries lack theory of mind. They are incapable of seeing how other people may view their behavior. They are rebellious "fuck the man!", and they think they can wear a rubber murrsuit in public and prance around because "they aren't hurting anyone". They're hurting the fandom. And then when you tell them they're being stupid, they go all tumblr on you and say you're bigoted or self-loathing or some dumb shit. "There are many ways to do furry!" They say...but of course only their way is right. Which includes bullshit new age spiritualism and a hefty dose of socially inept escapism.

So, you're saying a high number of furries are on the autism spectrum and/or are under the age of 25, basically.

With regards to the topic, I'm not entirely clear on what constitutes a "lifestyle," actually. What the hell is a "gay lifestyle?" When is someone a "furry lifestyler," as opposed to merely an enthusiastic furry? Are there sports lifestylers and politics lifestylers? Are workaholics basically lifestylers? At what point does your career, interest, or hobby constitute a "lifestyle?"

Ok. I think this is a good marker for intensity in the fandom: refusing to sell one's suit when you run into severe financial issues, like having to pay for cancer treatments or something. Or getting offended when you suggest furries should sell their fursuit if they or a loved one gets sick.

So basically loving furry so much it comes before your friendships, your finances, and your health. The kind of people who would think "there's no point of living without fursuits".

That's obsession.

And yes, @Troj, lifestyle here means obsession. Like otaku. Or bronies who try to spread ponies around like evangelical christians. Basically people woth no tact with how they present themselves in public about it and have it as the only thing going for them in their lives because it is such an intense part of their lives.

• Like 1

Though, I tend to just see obsessed people as obsessed people, and not necessarily as "lifestylers."

As I think about it, if I were to say that someone had a particular cultural "lifestyle," it would be because their free time, social circle, and home decor all seemed to revolve largely around that theme or interest, and because they seemed to consistently adjust or compromise other aspects of their life to make room for that theme or interest.

So, I'd potentially think of a furry lifestyler as someone whose home is filled with furry swag and decor, whose social group is comprised largely of furries, whose free time is largely devoted o furry-related hobbies, and who is willing to adjust or compromise their work life, family time, and other areas of life to make room for furmeets and fur-cons.

Implicit in all this, I think, is that the person's interest is central or key to their identity and self-concept.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Calemeyr said:

How about people who actually like Bitter Lake or "All the single Furries"? And of course "all the single furries" is sung by a man. Quite nasally and whiny, as well.

Anyone who unironically creates and sings a "furry song parody" should probably just kill themselves.

• Like 4

If you are involved in a thing enough that said thing begins to influence unrelated parts of your life, I suppose you could stay it styles your life. 

So maybe furry lifestylers are those who allow furry things to flavor their activities beyond a normal hobby.