Guy gets violent at me for petting his dog

Crazy Lee

Rule #1: Do not touch someone's dog without permission

Rule #2: Do not approach someone's dog that's in their car.

Rule #3: Do not assume that just because a dog doesn't attack you immediately or that he isn't snarling that he won't bite.

1. Touching a dog without someone's permission is dangerous for numerous reasons. Their dog could be sick and you could bring that home to your dog or you could make their so sick inadvertently. Not every dog is people friendly, some dogs have been conditioned to not give warning signs prior to a bite -- this is almost always due to the owner scolding their dog when it tells people to back off through growling or snarling. If you touch someone's dog and he nips or bites you out of self defense, that dog could be quarantined by the gov for rabies or even killed depending on his breed.

2. An otherwise friendly dog could become defensive and protective when inside a car. A car is an enclosed space where the dog can't escape, and it becomes a possession to protect. Just because a dog looks friendly doesn't mean he won't defend his territory.

3. As explained in point #1, just because a dog isn't acting outwardly aggressive doesn't mean he isn't and doesn't mean he won't become aggressive. Many people don't know how to read subtle canine body language either.

but yeah I agree on the whole BLM and immediate jumping to aggression and violence. For some reason everyone BLM supports turns out to be either a career criminal or someone who was shot doing something violent or aggressive. BLM of course doesn't want to address this common factor though

6 hours ago, Gamedog said:

Rule #1: Do not touch someone's dog without permission

Rule #2: Do not approach someone's dog that's in their car.

Rule #3: Do not assume that just because a dog doesn't attack you immediately or that he isn't snarling that he won't bite.

Did you shit me out of your clit? When the hell did you become my mother D:

Don't tell me what to do :V

As explained in point #1, just because a dog isn't acting outwardly aggressive doesn't mean he isn't and doesn't mean he won't become aggressive. Many people don't know how to read subtle canine body language either.

And you are the dog whisperer, I take it?

For some reason everyone BLM supports turns out to be either a career criminal or someone who was shot doing something violent or aggressive.

So in other words, black people. Got it.

• Like 1

The guy's behavior was excessive, inappropriate, and just plain nuts. Maybe events in his life have basically trained him to automatically react with fear, hostility, and false bravado--but even so, that's just an explanation, and not necessarily an excuse.

I'm very cautious about petting dogs in cars, because a) dogs can become incredibly and sometimes, uncharacteristically territorial when you approach their car, and b) people can become incredibly, and sometimes, uncharacteristically territorial in the same situation.

As for the race issue, yes, there are elements of low-class black culture that basically socialize people in that culture to act like gangsta thugs. But, there are elements of low-class white culture that socialize people in that culture to act like drunken, violent peckerwood hooligans. Slightly different lyrics, but same basic song.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, #00Buck said:

I like Die Antwoord. 

I also like Max Normal.

I'm very excited, gonna see Die Antwoord this fall, in DC!

I love that video where they make fun of Lady Gaga very much. She gets eaten by a lion, and gives birth to some weird crustacion /cricket outta her pussy, and it made her mad. I hate the fact 'cause I am gay I 'must' like Lady Gaga, Madonna, and so on. I don't.

Well, I fink you freaky!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Shhh... Black people hunt for da white wimmenz by sound.

Don't worry I lurk on Stormfront, I'm an expert.

I heard of a story on there.

A white supremacist guy tried to hire a black guy to do a job for him. 

He wanted to pay the black guy to beat the white guy's dog every day.

When the black guy asked why he wanted him to beat the dog the white guy said "to make the dog hate black people."

Pretty weird eh?

On 2016-07-21 at 11:49 PM, #00Buck said:

I heard of a story on there.

A white supremacist guy tried to hire a black guy to do a job for him. 

He wanted to pay the black guy to beat the white guy's dog every day.

When the black guy asked why he wanted him to beat the dog the white guy said "to make the dog hate black people."

Pretty weird eh?

To make a dog "hate" black people, all you need to do is not allow him to see a black person in his puppyhood.

First off, violent behavior is not excused. The man should have simply told you to leave his dog and get away from your car. However I don't think there's anything wrong with him not wanting you near his dog or car. Those are not your things, leave them alone. 

Speaking as a dog owner I feel that I cannot trust strangers to have knowledge of dog behavior and respect for potential aggression in certain breeds (example: I own a dachshund. Dachshunds are bastards, hard to train, and even after training still kind of stranger/animal aggressive but people see a cute weenie dog and assume it's a harmless critter open to cuddles). Since strangers can't be trusted and I don't want to take any risks the default is that I don't let anyone pet my dog unless I'm around and I've assessed that he's alright with being petted.

Also, a persons car and whatever is in it, dog included, is their property, you have no rights to it and while you don't deserve a violent reaction you're still in the wrong for assuming you can just go up and interact with something that belongs to someone else, be it their car, yard or dog. 

I've also seen intent mentioned. I don't think gauging someone's intentions really matters, just because someone isn't intending to hurt the dog doesn't mean that they actually have an understanding of dogs or respect for the animal. I've seen plenty of people go up to a strangers dog just wanting to pet it and then making the mistake of putting their face near the dog's face. That's something you never do with a strange dog, it's considered dominant behavior and it may stress the dog out or cause it to become fearful or defensive. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just read through this entire thread and felt compelled to respond.  I am a dog owner and I recently went through a similar experience.

My wife and I went out to eat and took our puppy along; he is a rhodesian ridgeback and around 80 lbs.  We have a jeep with netting in the back so that the pup can enjoy being open to the air but still contained.  He goes back and forth between laying down in his space and getting up and sticking his head through the netting to explore.  

My wife and I came out of the restaurant and what do we see but a car that had just parked next to us with several young women (late teens early 20s) fawning over our dog, talking to him, surrounding him at the side of our Jeep and just as one reacher her hand out to touch my dog, I very firmly said, "please don't touch my dog."  They sheepishly walked away.  I would have been happy to use that as an opportunity to explain to them the many reasons why what they were doing was wrong but I was happy to get going.  The experience was upsetting for me but nor surprising in the entitled culture we have.

Now that I have described a similar incident, I will weigh in on the original post.  I was not there so it is entirely possible that the dog owner over reacted, with that said, it is cringe worthy that you brought his race into it.  

Onto the matter of approaching other people's dogs without permission.  Not only is that not your right, my dog is not public property and neither was the one in the care at the gas station that you engaged with, even if you interpret the dog to be friendly or think that you will somehow make its day by petting it.  

As a dog owner it is my responsibility to ensure my dog is safe and protected as he cannot advocate for himself.  He may not like being petted by you, even if you think otherwise.  More importantly, if he feels uncomfortable at any point, the one person who the dog depends on for security is not there, the owner.  There are many reasons that you as a stranger are not aware of that may factor into why an owner does not want you petting their dog.  Socialization and training should be practiced throughout a dog's life.  I want my dog to feel comfortable in public situations; that means my dog needs to understand that he can expect that strangers will not engage him unless I give permission.  I don't want my dog running to the end of the leash pulling me around because every stranger we pass could be someone to pet/play with him.  I don't want my dog left in the vehicle to be anxious because he is unsure which of these strangers may approach him.  

I believe someone here mentioned that they pet peoples' dogs and/or interact with them when they are leashed up outside stores while their owners are inside.  Don't do that!  If a dog is behaving, don't interfere.  It is so rude and may set back training considerably.  

Please spread the word; whenever you see a stranger interact with someone else's dog when they are not around, say, "excuse me is that your dog? Do you know that dog?"  If they say "no," politely encourage them to leave it alone!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, adogowner said:

I just read through this entire thread and felt compelled to respond.  I am a dog owner and I recently went through a similar experience.

My wife and I went out to eat and took our puppy along; he is a rhodesian ridgeback and around 80 lbs.  We have a jeep with netting in the back so that the pup can enjoy being open to the air but still contained.  He goes back and forth between laying down in his space and getting up and sticking his head through the netting to explore.  

My wife and I came out of the restaurant and what do we see but a car that had just parked next to us with several young women (late teens early 20s) fawning over our dog, talking to him, surrounding him at the side of our Jeep and just as one reacher her hand out to touch my dog, I very firmly said, "please don't touch my dog."  They sheepishly walked away.  I would have been happy to use that as an opportunity to explain to them the many reasons why what they were doing was wrong but I was happy to get going.  The experience was upsetting for me but nor surprising in the entitled culture we have.

Now that I have described a similar incident, I will weigh in on the original post.  I was not there so it is entirely possible that the dog owner over reacted, with that said, it is cringe worthy that you brought his race into it.  

Onto the matter of approaching other people's dogs without permission.  Not only is that not your right, my dog is not public property and neither was the one in the care at the gas station that you engaged with, even if you interpret the dog to be friendly or think that you will somehow make its day by petting it.  

As a dog owner it is my responsibility to ensure my dog is safe and protected as he cannot advocate for himself.  He may not like being petted by you, even if you think otherwise.  More importantly, if he feels uncomfortable at any point, the one person who the dog depends on for security is not there, the owner.  There are many reasons that you as a stranger are not aware of that may factor into why an owner does not want you petting their dog.  Socialization and training should be practiced throughout a dog's life.  I want my dog to feel comfortable in public situations; that means my dog needs to understand that he can expect that strangers will not engage him unless I give permission.  I don't want my dog running to the end of the leash pulling me around because every stranger we pass could be someone to pet/play with him.  I don't want my dog left in the vehicle to be anxious because he is unsure which of these strangers may approach him.  

I believe someone here mentioned that they pet peoples' dogs and/or interact with them when they are leashed up outside stores while their owners are inside.  Don't do that!  If a dog is behaving, don't interfere.  It is so rude and may set back training considerably.  

Please spread the word; whenever you see a stranger interact with someone else's dog when they are not around, say, "excuse me is that your dog? Do you know that dog?"  If they say "no," politely encourage them to leave it alone!

this this this this this this THIS!!!

As a dog owner myself, and as an ex vet nurse I 100% agree with you in every detail! 

Someone else's dog is not your right to pet and play with. Always ask permission. There are so many cases of people being bitten by dogs who would normally be harmless, but then felt threatened. Who suffers for it the most?? The dog, and its owner. That's who.

Ask first, or hands off. 

Dogs need to be freed from their oppression by human kind! They are mere slaves confined to being unwanted heroes doing dangerous tasks and hardworking chores! They are used as property for petty entertainment and self-gratification! Dogs don't belong in cars! Dogs don't belong in houses! Dogs deserve to live a wild, natural life outside of the barriers humans have constructed around them!

b906d9ec952b6315a55c02e8636decb4.jpg

#doglivesmatter

9 minutes ago, GemWolf said:

Are you absolutely sure?

Yeah, I kinda am. :l

This thread is old as mold and there's basically no variant on which to chastise him we (and I say "we" because I was included) haven't already explored. It was dead and buried for a month only to be brought up again to reiterate what's been said for 3 pages straight. I think Lee's been spanked enough for what at the time was a "lolwat" scenario, but no one cares anymore...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vae said:

Considering that the thread's been dead for a fucking month,
I'd wager it's a pretty safe assumption.

Well I didn't know that. Today was the first time I saw this thread, and at that point the most recent comment was only a few mins before my first comment. It was not me who revived it 

Just now, GemWolf said:

Well I didn't know that. Today was the first time I saw this thread, and at that point the most recent comment was only a few mins before my first comment. It was not me who revived it 

Well, I know my initial comment wasn't necessarily directed at you.

51 minutes ago, GemWolf said:

Never claimed you were.

Reading dates is important, though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

I'm pretty glad that it's been a very very long time since anybody ever tried to get violent with me.

I'm a hot-headed loser and I'll definitely get ten times as violent, which is not a good thing.

Oh Lucy.

I don't understand you at all.